About childhood and innocence

B!anka

THANKS to Vanessa for letting me know about it! :flowers2:

There is a romanian article in a romanian magazine ("Glamour" ) I will translate for you. Nothing new but it's cute!

=====================

When he was 19, Mika Penniman knew he had Freddie Mercury's voice. So the sweet curly haired boy was singing as much as he could to find out how exact the similarity was.

I really remember the day I've bought Mika's first album. It was a Saturday, and until Monday, the CD was worn out from so much listening. In Mika's world is basically impossible to get enough of surprises: his music is very theatrical, is as soft as a mild wind blowing, suggests colors that are even brighter than a simple rainbow, has the drums cameos, and it's even happier than any marching bands going down the streets on a celebratory day. WE ARE GOLDEN is the first single from Mika's sophomore album, which leads the way of a material that is better, more complex and more contemporary. The singer has defined well enough his musical area even from the first obssesive chorus of GRACE KELLY, which sold 3 million copies as a single and became the only 100% british song to stand tall on the first positions of the charts. World Music Awards, MTV, Brits, Grammies followed up along with concerts which crossed amazingly the world from America to Japan. In 2007 there was no nook on this Earth where Mika hadn't been heard of.

THE BRIGHT BEGGINNINGS

"I have put all my heart in writing LOLLIPOP and STUCK IN THE MIDDLE because those were songs about my childhood, about happy and fragile characters." Even if he was a newcomer in mainstream music like a breath of fresh air, the press focused more on his sexual orientation. Is Mika gay? "I was odd in school and I was often being bullied by the other boys. I am homophobe. ( :blink: ) But I refuse to oficially admit my real sexual orientation." Even if Mika's explanation seems clear, he has always had to deal with comparsions (from no one else but the press) like: "I would say he is rather asexual or bisexual" or "he doesn't even know for sure what he really is" so the singer insists: "Asexual? What is that really? I thought it was a term used only at biology classes?" (off topic: that's from the OMM article isn't it? ). THE BOY WHO KNEW TOO MUCH doesn't help eliminating the rumours and I insist to make him say something about his private life. "You know what? In my adolescence the sexuality was something yet to be discovered, a side that defines your personality, that makes you try the opportunities you're given, feeling like being on a roller-coaster ride. Anything was possible then. I knew I could try anything that crossed my mind and I did."

EVERYTHING IN THE LIMELIGHT

I think about myself, If I were him I would like to protect my intimacy as well. In a world where celebrity guarantees you that your fans know even your shoe number, ( off-topic: Just his shoe number? Do we even know that info for sure? :mf_rosetinted: HA! they don't even know who they're talking about! ) Mika is still a calm guy. And focused on what he does only. "When I was a teenager I have made some mistakes, but I grew up. I was slightly promiscuous, like any other person of my age. I've been rejected and I had imaginary friends, I've loved persons in false relationships, I was only imagining. Do you know anyone any different at 18?" So we ought to put the controversy aside. In the end, are we less fans if we know what he's doing at home? (off topic: but we DO know! )

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

"I write and sing pop music. I am not ashamed about that. If pop music is often seen as being vulgar, then I will embrace even this vulgarity. And I don't want to write hits but music that makes ME happy." I have to agree with him and I wonder if he hasn't already gone crazy with all the "narrating" at first person and perhaps that is the reason which makes him so repulsive to the public. "Did you know that happiness has it's own risks? That's why it is so tempting to forget all the stupid things you do, just after you've done it. I have faced the reality which follows after you feel like confessing in songs. I wanted to be the real deal, not a 40 year old guy who has just tried to sing." Maybe he is right, I tell myself. "You will only win if you go off the mainstream of the pop conventions. Criticism doesn't help writing songs. For me the bad things which are said about me don't make me any less famous. The truth which helps me the most is the idea that a real pop song is the one that fits you as good as a jacket which fits you perfectly and you've always dreamt of owning it." :blink:

THE BOY WHO KNEW TOO MUCH

A part of the singer's beauty :wub2: is his trial of singing about personal doubts through his fictional characters. They often have to fight with their own diversity, a thing which is not unknown to Mika - the feeling that he has grown up! Therefore, the superficial frosting often lets out the grand performer and intrigueing. "Pop music makes you believe in glitter and celebrate yourself. It's a happy music if I can call it so." I couldn't have called it better. I would give Mika's new album anytime to a high-school kid (off topic: that would be me! :naughty: ) and telling him to learn from the lessons about life that can be found there. In DR. JOHN he sings about abuse and teenage misunderstandings, and in the gorgeous BLAME IT ON THE GIRLS you find out that the little childish war between girls and boys is something funny, yet not good for you. And let's not forget WE ARE GOLDEN which works just like a good cocktail drunk at the end of a week with some friends - full of optimism and gives you as much energy as a ginseng dose. :lmfao:

WRITER'S BLOCK

The record company owners wanted to interfere in the writing proccess of the new material. Indeed, if your first album brought you international success, it is pretty hard to stay on top with your second album too. Evidently Mika was stuck. "I was protected for a while, only to stay in and create. How did I made it through? Routine! I woke up every morning at 10 o'clock, had my breakfast at the same restaurant and went in the same pub every evening." Why would you do that? I suppose he only wished to be the best again. To notice which are the reactions of an artist touched by the "uncreative normality". The effect was almost the opposite and the the songs were almost written by their own. "I was finally feeling eliberated. I went to another level, in another place. I got used to the idea that the songs which have been written in my old small bedroom, weren't just some ordinary lyrics, they were the masterpiece of a songwriter. I am a songwriter!" And a brave pop star I say. One which is really reccomened to watch for the purest feel-good sentiment that could ever be offered by the entertainment scene this autumn. Turn on the lights, (re)discover your toys, put on a big smile. I give you: MIKA!

=================

That's it. I will scan the article and post it later! :teehee: Has my avatar picture!

Copyofglmr005.jpg

Can I just say I'm really happy that he's wearing the jeans he wore when we met. :teehee:

glmr001.jpg

glmr007.jpg

Edited by B!anka

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

T4P:thumb_yello:

Good to see he's in the Romanian press, hopefully you'll get to see him there soon.

Quite a charming little interview. Sounds like the writers a bit of a fan.

Yeah, that's what I noticed while translating it too! :aah:

I hope so...though the most possible thing to bring him here is a festival because I don't think he could ever some here with a gig on his own... :huh:

I mean there will be only me, Ruxi, Vanessa and the other romanian MFCers and our parents probably...well mine at least...it would be intimate alright! :roftl:

Yeah, that's what I noticed while translating it too! :aah:

I hope so...though the most possible thing to bring him here is a festival because I don't think he could ever some here with a gig on his own... :huh:

I mean there will be only me, Ruxi, Vanessa and the other romanian MFCers and our parents probably...well mine at least...it would be intimate alright! :roftl:

hey we should announce this...maybe we get the living room gig :das::roftl:

Bianca, your comments and smilies are priceless! :roftl:

:huglove:

Thanks... :biggrin2: There was another one I wanted to put right after the "know his shoe number" thing part: I actually couldn't remember exactly which was it:44 or 43 and a half....I was like: WTF? I'm not a good fan :lmfao:

You said there was nothing new Bianca. I've never heard him say before that he's a homophobe. I find that competely bizarre.

I agree with the smilie you put after it too:naughty:

WELL...provided that it is a romanian magazine which has nothing to do with Mika and provided that we've recognized some bits from other interviews, I'd say they added some things which aren't his actual words. To be honest I was really doubting if what I knew homophobe means exactly so I looked it up in the dictionary and yeah...my knowledge was right...but I really don't think so. If he would've said that I would say there wouldn't be any doubt about his sexuality, right? :dunno: so I'd say don't take it for granted! :thumb_yello:

Will post the scans in a second. :wink2:

:blink:

"I am homophobe." :shocked:

WTF?

I don't know if it was an original interview for the magazine ( I doubt it) or an article they translated but I think it must be a misunderstanding / translator not speaking English properly. ( I don't mean you, Bianka but the person who translated it from English to Romanian :wink2:)

:blink:

"I am homophobe." :shocked:

WTF?

I don't know if it was an original interview for the magazine ( I doubt it) or an article they translated but I think it must be a misunderstanding / translator not speaking English properly. ( I don't mean you, Bianka but the person who translated it from English to Romanian :wink2:)

Yes I know. They must have interpretated it. :wink2: