Mika at www.nu.nl and Gracia magazine (Dutch)

Mika_Addiction

I saw this article at http://www.nu.nl. They also refer to Gracia Magazine.

Nothing really new actually, but I thought it was worth mentioning it :thumb_yello:

I'd like to translate it, but my English sucks.. Maybe some other Dutchie?

Mika was speculaties zat

AMSTERDAM - Mika is blij dat hij niet meer hoeft te liegen over zijn geaardheid. Vorige maand onthulde de zanger dat hij ook op mannen valt. "Ik was alle speculaties zat", zegt hij deze week in Grazia.

Dat wil overigens niet zeggen dat ik nu tolereer dat iedereen in hokjes wordt geduwd", zegt Mika in het tijdschrift.

"In al mijn nummers speel ik met het concept van identiteit en geslacht. Het werkt zo begrenzend om je identiteit te moeten ontlenen aan het feit dat je man of vrouw bent. Eerlijk gezegd denk ik dat het mensen niks uitmaakt wat mijn geaardheid is."

Mika zegt het belangrijk te vinden om seksualiteit ter discussie te stellen. "En dat doe ik in mijn werk, veel meer dan andere artiesten."

Speculaties

De seksuele geaardheid van de 26-jarige zanger was lange tijd reden voor speculaties. Aanvankelijk weigerde hij altijd in te gaan op vragen over zijn persoonlijke voorkeuren, maar vorige maand kwam hij toch gedeeltelijk uit de kast. Veel fans reageerden positief.

"Als ik een voorbeeld kan zijn voor jonge mensen is dat een mooie bijkomstigheid", aldus Mika in Grazia. "Rolmodellen zijn gelukkig in elk beroep en overal ter wereld te vinden. Misschien kan ik mezelf nog beter uitdrukken nu ik een statement heb gemaakt."

m1czwjraf3w6.jpg

http://www.nu.nl/achterklap/2100979/mika-was-speculaties-zat.html

And the thing at the site from Gracia (nearly the same)

"“Ik heb geen schaamte”

Alle commotie rondom zijn geaardheid vond Mika totaal niet boeiend. Zo vertelde hij aan Grazia.

Nooit eerder heeft de zanger zich willen uitlaten over zijn geaardheid. Toch gaf hij onlangs toe Bisexueel te zijn. Mika legt uit: “Hoewel ik nu een statement heb gemaakt, ben ik nog steeds van mening dat het mogelijk is om sexualiteit op een andere manier ter discussie te stellen. En dat doe ik in mijn werk, veel meer dan andere artiesten.”

De Britse superster staat bekend om zijn levendige, theatrale muziek. Vlucht de zanger dan zo graag weg in zijn eigen droomwereld? Volgens Mika was hij altijd al geobserdeerd door het idee een eigen wereld te creëren. “Het geeft me een goed gevoel om op een interessante manier serieuze onderwerpen aan te kaarten in songs.”

Lady Gaga liet onlangs weten het nieuwe album van de Britse zanger fantastisch te vinden. ”Zij is één van de weinige artiesten die mij publiekelijk steunt. Ze is heel lief, ik mag haar graag.”

Benieuwd naar het volledige interview? Grazia ligt vanaf morgen weer in de schappen!"

Mika.jpg

http://www.grazia.nl/2009/10/13/ik-heb-geen-schaamte/

They say the whole interview will be in the magazine tomorrow! :D

Edited by Mika_Addiction

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this article at http://www.nu.nl. They also refer to Gracia Magazine.

Nothing really new actually, but I thought it was worth mentioning it :thumb_yello:

I'd like to translate it, but my English sucks.. Maybe some other Dutchie?

Mika was speculaties zat

AMSTERDAM - Mika is blij dat hij niet meer hoeft te liegen over zijn geaardheid. Vorige maand onthulde de zanger dat hij ook op mannen valt. "Ik was alle speculaties zat", zegt hij deze week in Grazia.

Dat wil overigens niet zeggen dat ik nu tolereer dat iedereen in hokjes wordt geduwd", zegt Mika in het tijdschrift.

"In al mijn nummers speel ik met het concept van identiteit en geslacht. Het werkt zo begrenzend om je identiteit te moeten ontlenen aan het feit dat je man of vrouw bent. Eerlijk gezegd denk ik dat het mensen niks uitmaakt wat mijn geaardheid is."

Mika zegt het belangrijk te vinden om seksualiteit ter discussie te stellen. "En dat doe ik in mijn werk, veel meer dan andere artiesten."

Speculaties

De seksuele geaardheid van de 26-jarige zanger was lange tijd reden voor speculaties. Aanvankelijk weigerde hij altijd in te gaan op vragen over zijn persoonlijke voorkeuren, maar vorige maand kwam hij toch gedeeltelijk uit de kast. Veel fans reageerden positief.

"Als ik een voorbeeld kan zijn voor jonge mensen is dat een mooie bijkomstigheid", aldus Mika in Grazia. "Rolmodellen zijn gelukkig in elk beroep en overal ter wereld te vinden. Misschien kan ik mezelf nog beter uitdrukken nu ik een statement heb gemaakt."

m1czwjraf3w6.jpg

http://www.nu.nl/achterklap/2100979/mika-was-speculaties-zat.html

And the thing at the site from Gracia (nearly the same)

"“Ik heb geen schaamte”

Alle commotie rondom zijn geaardheid vond Mika totaal niet boeiend. Zo vertelde hij aan Grazia.

Nooit eerder heeft de zanger zich willen uitlaten over zijn geaardheid. Toch gaf hij onlangs toe Bisexueel te zijn. Mika legt uit: “Hoewel ik nu een statement heb gemaakt, ben ik nog steeds van mening dat het mogelijk is om sexualiteit op een andere manier ter discussie te stellen. En dat doe ik in mijn werk, veel meer dan andere artiesten.”

De Britse superster staat bekend om zijn levendige, theatrale muziek. Vlucht de zanger dan zo graag weg in zijn eigen droomwereld? Volgens Mika was hij altijd al geobserdeerd door het idee een eigen wereld te creëren. “Het geeft me een goed gevoel om op een interessante manier serieuze onderwerpen aan te kaarten in songs.”

Lady Gaga liet onlangs weten het nieuwe album van de Britse zanger fantastisch te vinden. ”Zij is één van de weinige artiesten die mij publiekelijk steunt. Ze is heel lief, ik mag haar graag.”

Benieuwd naar het volledige interview? Grazia ligt vanaf morgen weer in de schappen!"

Mika.jpg

http://www.grazia.nl/2009/10/13/ik-heb-geen-schaamte/

They say the whole interview will be in the magazine tomorrow! :D

part 1 :thumb_yello:

Mika is sick of speculations

AMSTERDAM- Mika is happy that he doesn't have to lie about his identity(note: orientation) anymore. Last month he revealed that he likes men. "I was sick of all the speculations" he said this week to Grazia. "This doesn't mean that i tolerate that everyone gets labeled"

"In all my songs i play(note: experiment) with the concept of identity and gender. Its very limiting that you have to derive your identity from the fact that you are a man or woman. i honestly think that people don't care what my orientation is"

Mika says its important to discuss sexuality "and i do that in my work, far more than other artists"

Speculations

The sexual orientation of the 26 year old singer has long been questioned. Initially he denied to answer questions about his personal preference, but last month he partially came out of the closet. Many fans reacted positively.

"If i can be an example for young people then that is a good outcome" says Mika in Grazia. "Luckily role models are present in every occupation (note: job) in the world. Maybe i can express myself better now that i have made a statement"

MIKA: "I have no shame"

Until a short while ago, everyone heavily debated the sexuality of Mika (26). Not interesting, the singer told Grazia last week.

You have never talked about your sexuality, but a while ago you admitted that you were bisexual. Did you get tired of all the speculation?

Partly yes. That doesn't mean that I accept being labelled. In all my songs I play with the concept of identity and gender. It's very limited to have to determine your identity to the fact that you're a man or a woman. Honestly, I don't think people care about what my sexuality is. If you buy an album with songs such as Grace Kelly and Billy Brown, and songs that are not being played on the American radio because of the lyrics and the questions they ask about sexuality, you understand what the point is. And still people want to label me. Even though I made a statement now, I still believe that it is possible to discuss sexuality in a different way. And I do that in my work, along with many other artists.

Bisexuals are very happy with your coming out

If I can be a rolemodel for young people that's a good thing. Luckily you can find rolemodels in every profession and everywhere in the world. Maybe I can express myself better now that I've made a statement. Shame was never a part of the cocktail that I represent. I've never been ashamed of myself.

Your mother stopped you from getting a luxurious house in the USA during the recording of TBWKTM.

Haha, that's correct. She felt that too much luxury would hurt my creativity. But it worked. Because I stayed in a hotel I didn't like, I spent all my time in the studio. If everything in your environment is fun, you have no need to create your own things. Luxury makes your brain lazy.

Why do you prefer escaping to a dreamworld?

I was always attracted by the idea of creating your own world. It gives me a good feeling and is a way to talk about serious subjects in songs. And to say things to people without getting beaten up afterwards. I make people listen to me and try to win them over. It's not all about the song. The song is the base on where I built my show. It comes right from my heart, not from a marketingfirm. And from family and friends who help me create ideas and draw sketches. I've always maintained the thought that within 20 years I would create my own world. One that's in my head and is mine. The strongest thing is that my fans become a part of it, by imitating my costumes and make dolls of the characters I design.

It seems like sometimes you get a trip from your lively, theatrical music.

That's the effect of my music; it's like taking drugs without the bad effect. Like swallowing a rainbow. And my shows are more than that. You are bombarded with visuals and melodies. It takes you to a level where you go through emotions that are being fired at you. That's what I aim for.

Lady Gaga tweeted that she thought your cd was fantastic.

I think it's amazing that she says that. She is one of the few artists who support me publicly. She is someone who believes in what she does. She is very sweet, I like her. We know each other well. She went to all my shows in New York.

There seems to be an en hausse of excentric artists: Lady Gaga, Sam Sparro, Katy Perry. Where you the one who started this?

Before me you had the Scissor Sisters and Rufus Rainwright. I would never be so cocky to say that I was the first one. Excentricity is more than weird clothes, a certain style of music and an attitude. It's about creating something that spreads around very fast. Only when I'm 55, and I can say that in my career I've built my own personality and voice, I've really accomplished something.

Thanks for posting the full interview Ingie!

yesh , seems that article in the dutch mag really was his "coming out" .. not that I care , he could sleep with water melons for all I care :mf_rosetinted::roftl:

Now I've got a very nasty image in my mind :sneaky2::roftl:

yesh , seems that article in the dutch mag really was his "coming out" .. not that I care , he could sleep with water melons for all I care :mf_rosetinted::roftl:

No better place for a "coming out" then Holland :original:.

And about the water melons: how did that come into your mind Fredster, I am curious (or maybe it's better not to tell that) :biggrin2:.