clara85

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a Nezza for translation :huglove:

The curious boy

From childhood to adolescence, Mika's new album is a point of generational connection. 'The Boy Who Knew Too Much' is the mirror of impeccable pop, to be listened to and seen in its' many expressive faces.

When he debuted in 2007 the comparisons were wasted, there were those who called him the heir of Queen's Freddie Mercury, and those who labelled him as the new 'prince of pop'... Due years distance from this clamour has given space to Mika, the personality who Michael Holbrook Penniman (his real name), of the class of 1983, born in Beirut (Lebanon), takes around the world demonstrating a skilful 'jester' kind of music. "I did exactly what I wanted to do without impositions. The pressure after the success of my debut could be felt, but the will to research an identity in this complicated society is the reason which pushed me to realising my second album. The search of your own identity is the leitmotiv of our existence. The making of the album was laborious, the six months I spent in my studio in London writing songs, another six in Los Angeles recording, in the same place and with the same people I recorded 'Life in Cartoon Motion' with", recounts Mika...

Edited by clara85

He was discovered thanks to Myspace mania, the internet phenomenon which resulted in him being given a recording contract to release his first single, Grace Kelly. 24 months ago he released his debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion (which sold 6 million copies), an album which emphasises his emotions and visions of childhood; an animated world which Mika knows how to recreate successfully melodiously and visually, through his videos and concerts, creating joyful shows which are colourful and energetic. Mika has prepared his return with discipline and strategic choices. In May, after working hard on his second studio album he released an exclusive, limited edition EP, which contains 4 new acoustic songs. For this release - titled Songs For Sorrow, which contains four tracks, Blue Eyes, Toy Boy, Lonely Alcoholic and Lady Jane - he worked with Owen Pallet (Final Fantasy and Arcade Fire).

Explaining the idea of this acoustic project Mika said "When I rolled my sleeves up and started writing my second album, I started to think that the best thing would be to proceed in degrees; so the EP arrived first, a collection of acoustic tracks titled 'Songs for Sorrow'. It was a good thing for me to simplify things, to return to the origins." But let's return to the present. Summer's gone and Mika's ready to become one of the protagonists of the end of 2009, with a brand new album full of anticipation. Don't worry, your expectations have been fulfilled! His new work has been in the shops for a few weeks, preceded by the single We Are Golden. It's an explosion of powerpop, a triumph of positive energy, and it confirms Mika as a completely unique talent in contemporary music. The song is sung by Mika, with the Andrae Crouch Gospel Choir (Madonna's Like a Prayer), and a crowd of children who sing "we are not what you think we are, we are golden" at the top of their voices.

Vivacious multicoloured influences, which go from the biggest pop albums of the 80s and 90s to Kurt Weil, the 50s singer Patti Page, and the 70s singer-songwriter Harry Nillson, the new album is a bit more mature than its predecessor. 'Life in Cartoon Motion' contained a lot of references to childhood, nursery rhymes and fables... Childrens' things. This record is more adolescent. I thought 'how can I look inside myself? Before all this happened, what stimulated me to write songs?' I really liked the feeling of being seventeen-eighteen and I tried to go back to that period in my life. You start reading, listening to music, and your attention turns to girls, people who you relate to...' Two albums, two contrasting life experiences. The album includes tracks such as Blame it on The Girls (which unites percussion and piano in an irresistable rhythm and an incredible chorus), and Rain (which shows off plucked violins arranged by Owen Pallett and programmed by Stuart Price, it's a promising floorfiller, with Mika's magnificent voice which slides gracefully over the synthesizers). Passing to moving ballads and sweet choruses, the new set has a spectrum of emotions and visions.

But there are many anecdotes that together have forged the backbone of 'The Boy Who Knew Too Much'. In writing this new collection of songs, Mika has tried to separate himself from the reclusive and unique adolescense that he lived. A turbulent period inspired the new CD, and a difficult test in trying to forget that tough period. "Musically, it's still happy pop. From one point of view of the lyrics, I had to liberate myself from a burden of mine, what I lived through as a boy, a boy who was a recluse and solitary. Yes, they're happy songs, but lyrically they're thoughtful in underlining a very profound search." he confessed. "In the album there's a track called Rain, a sort of open-hearted break-up letter which deals with a bitter separation. I wanted to transform that painful chapter into something fun, to do that I created a disco beat for the background. It's a personal vendetta, I'm a passive aggressive person..." Many artists are protective of themselves in their second albums, I didn't want to give up presenting myself as I'd been perceived. Famous people are boring and only think of themselves." If the world is too small for your dreams, put them into Mika's new album - the genius of pop is back! The window into Mika's new world opens with We Are Golden, accompanied by a video directed by Jonas Akerlund, director of historic videos such as Madonna's Ray of Light and U2's Walk On; where Mika poses as a teenager with a final strip-tease (!) "The director of Lady Gaga's Paparazzi asked me a precise question to create the video - what would you wear to represent your 17 years of age? My answer was my underwear. So I wore white boxers and showed off my muscles... When I saw myself back I wanted to vomit! But the real significance of the video is in the double interpretation - it's funny and sad. That is, it's the life of a teenager in his bedroom, his hopes, his ambitions, and his fears. To support the release of this song in the UK (6th September), Mika invited his fans for drinks in a London bar, with an unusual announcement on Twitter. His fans didn't need persuading and hundreds rushed to the Ground Floor Bar at 186 Portobello Road for a toast. The result: a bill of 25 thousand pounds. "Thanks to everyone who came to the bar. It was one of the most enjoyable evenings of the last few years. We transformed the pub into a club." Mika commented on the party. Toy Boy is another important track on the CD, which he defines as "the perfect bridge between the first and second album. It talks about life, if you read between the lines a very important part of existence emerges - sexuality and all of its components."

A title which can be interpreted in different ways, but let's listen to what he has decided. "When I look for a name for a record I want it to have a cinematographic resonance. This one in particular has a link with the film 'The Man Who Knew Too Much', which was directed by Alfred Hitchcock. I replaced Man with Boy because the album deals with my adolescence; with a curious boy who observes society from behind a corner." commented the pop star, who has a broadened vision of creativity - music, video, and images. "For me they're not three separate elements, but a single profile. When I write a song, in a very natural way, I have in mind its' video representation and how to dress it when I represent it in public by creating the right outfit." he added. His mother had an important superstitious role in the creating of Mika's new album. She did not want him to live in the Los Angeles house that he had rented to write songs. "She put a gypsy curse on me, which roughly said: the more money you spend on your own comfort, the worse the album will be. It was a stupid superstition that pushed me to move back into my old apartment - the small space where I lived before. My mum had always told me to work hard to achieve my goals and to not take success like a reward that was due to me." confessed Mika, who we'll see in Italy next year.

Thank you clara85 for posting & translating!:thumb_yello:

This is a really interesting article as well as one well worth reading.

The last couple of review/articles posted here were odd - this returns to Mika revealing more of his dreams, motivations & ideals.

I really like it!:thumb_yello:

io?:shocked: è quel "such" lì che non so cosa vuol dire, sarà mika una parolaccia?:shocked:

Such vuol dire 'molto' o 'davvero' :thumb_yello:

My translation's not great this time, I was really tired last night, still feeling the aftereffects of too much partying on the weekend :teehee:

clara posted the article

and

nezza translated it

diamo a Cesare quel che è di Cesare, someone said:teehee:

translate nezza plz! :blush-anim-cl:

Do you want me to translate everything you say now, goldling? :mf_rosetinted:

I suppose the English saying would be credit where credit's due, I can't think of anything better this time of the morning :naughty:

Do you want me to translate everything you say now, goldling? :mf_rosetinted:

I suppose the English saying would be credit where credit's due, I can't think of anything better this time of the morning :naughty:

ehehehehhehehehehehe

but you are a champion in translating!

let's give back to ceasar's what is ceasar's? is it literally correct?

ehehehehhehehehehehe

but you are a champion in translating!

let's give back to ceasar's what is ceasar's? is it literally correct?

I'm not a champion ::blush-anim-cl: I enjoy it, even though the results aren't amazing.

Yup, that's how it'd be translated literally :thumb_yello: