2009 - REPORTS/VIDEOS/PICS: 23 OCT Mika in Los Angeles, CA at Palladium Hollywood

dcdeb

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MIKA WEEKEND

PART 1: The Hollywood Palladium

CHAPTER 1: THIS IS THE FRONT OF THE LINE!

Friday October 23rd. 7:38am. Waking up in the….holy crap! I’m late!

My alarm doesn’t go off. I’ve slept four hours and I was supposed to meet my friend to get me there at 7. After rushing around like a crazy woman and scrapping my elaborate hairdo plans, I’m out the door and on my way. Luckily, I packed the night before.

After a long ordeal, I finally made it to the venue around 11:30ish. I was number 14 in line. Not bad, but busier than the Wiltern at that time. The whole queue-ing process is quite a blur…a lot of stops to the coffee bean to pee in various stages of getting ready. We had lunch in a cute little bistro-like café and Sivan took pics of us for a project she needed to do for school. We posed in front of a pink wall across the street from the venue and got many odd looks. But we’re pretty much used to it by now. After makeup and eyelashes and a run to Denny’s to pee, we were ready.

Nothing exciting happened until around 6:00pm. As unofficial keepers of the line, we had to shoo SO MANY people away from us because they didn’t know it was the FRONT OF THE LINE! (the venue was weird and we entered through the side.) We had about 500 mini heart attacks when we found out about VIPs (who luckily would be upstairs and not by us) and when we heard the box office was directing people to us because we were the back of the line. Oh, we straightened them out. :naughty:

At about 6:45 they started moving the lines forward and that was when all hell broke loose. They told us TWO lines. TWO. After we had all filed in, THEN they decide to open a THIRD line with people in the front of it from around 30 in line. Needless to say, the security had a tongue lashing from every MFCer there. Unfortunately they did nothing and caused quite a horrible scene trying to get in.

Once we finally entered the venue around 7:30 (and they let us in late), we all rushed to the front of the stage and got our spots. Front row center, as usual. This gig was CROWDED and I was so squished it was not cool. My legs hurt, my feet hurt but I knew Mika was on the horizon so I was alright. Gary Go performed and on first impression I liked him alright. He grew on me in Oakland though. After he finished his set, we all looked at our watches/phones. 8:30…only half an hour longer.

As seasoned Mika gig goers, we knew that every rustle of the curtain did NOT mean Mika and after awhile, the screaming at nothing got a bit annoying. Maybe it’s just because I was tired. They set up the couch and TV and lamp and then 9:00. Showtime.

Edited by lollipopgirl83

CHAPTER 2: This Is Why I Love This Man

Honestly, the gig is so clear in my mind yet such a blur. The opening was adorable, gotta love Ian McKellen…and the band is amazing as well. But then there he was. In his spacesuit ascending the stairs, the man who I hadn’t seen in over a year and even though I’d fallen away for awhile, I felt the same way I did right when I discovered Mika. Everything was brand new again, I got the butterflies in my stomach which was replaced with pure excitement as I realized this was real. Oh, and then he took his clothes off. WAG video in real life. Asdfghjkl so amazing. :swoon:

The barefoot (in hindsight, a bad idea) Mika bounded on stage carrying a suitcase singing Relax, or at least I think he was, I couldn’t hear him over the screaming. Got worried since Gary Go’s sound was sh*tty at first and Sivan and Nono complained about the sound at a previous gig at the Palladium, but it was alright in the end. Just loud screaming was the problem I think.

I’d go through the whole setlist, but that seems redundant because I can only say AMAZING and FANTASTIC and OHMYGOD so many times, so I’ll just hit the highlights.

Touches You: One of his best songs on the album and one of his best songs live. The other best part was Sivan’s reaction. That girl loves that song. :naughty: And some awesome dance moves!

Happy Ending: definitely choked up a bit. I remember thinking to myself now THIS is why I love this man.

I See You: Definitely tears. One of my faves, when it was I’m Fallin and now. I think the reason this song gets to me is because I completely relate to it. That song is what my life is like. Kinda sad. I’d never teared up at a Mika gig….goes to show what he does to you.

Rain: One of my favorite songs on the album. SPECTACULAR live! The "storm scene" with the confetti was fun. Had confetti down my shirt all night. Pumping, thumping dance tune. Epic.

One Foot Boy: Oh the irony….how could we have known then about what this song would mean? Got some intense eye contact. I got some earlier too, don’t remember which song though.

Edited by lollipopgirl83

CHAPTER 3: One Foot Boy: Origins.

Love Today: SO MUCH ENERGY! The whole room was filled with this passion that is indescribable…only to be topped by WAG, but more on that later. And then the fateful moment…

Mika: Everyone close your eyes and lower yourselves to the ground.

Us: Um how? *looks around to see how squished we are*

Mika: Just do it.

Us: OK *attempt to squat while shoving butts and other various body parts into the people around us*

Mika: ONE! TWO! ONE TWO THREE! *jump* *land on foot* *stumble off*

Us: WOOOO!!! *jumping around, not noticing Mika’s injury*

So, at that moment, Mika became the One Foot Boy. And will forever be in my book. :biggrin2:

WE ARE GOLDEN: I honestly have no other words for this than I don’t think I’ve ever felt so happy in my life. The moment I heard this song I was re-obsessed. It makes me feel good whenever I listened to it on the recording. Now that doesn’t even hold a candle to the feeling of ecstasy you get from hearing it live. Even Mika feels it too. The first “WE ARE NOT WHAT YOU THINK WE ARE” bit…he didn’t even sing it. He just stood back and listened to that whole crowd proclaim “WE ARE GOLDEN!” It’s so empowering. His happiness made me feel happy…so happy I got goosebumps. Most amazing thing ever.

While waiting for the encore, the crowd kept on cheering the “We are not what you think we are, we are golden, we are golden!” time and time again…so amazing.

Encore:

Toy Boy: Beautiful as usual. I love that song. It sounded great live, and Mika’s expressions add a lot to the depth of the song.

Grace Kelly: Again, awesome as expected. As others have expressed, I love this song, but it feels, I dunno, “old” compared to the other songs. Love the song, but I love so many other ones more. I have a feeling Mika will have to play that song at every gig for the rest of his life. :naughty: Notice his bandage…wonder if he’s ok.

Lollipop: Love the trashcans. Love Jimmy. Love Mika. Love this song. Kinda wish WAG was the finale. After WAG, nothing else seems to top it in that emotional scale. Final bows are adorable. The band pick Mika up and put him down. They all look so happy and cute together.

Edited by lollipopgirl83

CHAPTER 4: The Not-Quite-After-Show

Alright, so Andrew had left his spot on the floor to meet Allison to get our after show passes and spent the show in the VIP section. So sweet of him. We met him on the floor as the security tried to shoo us off. We all got our passes and stuck them on ourselves and headed upstairs. At looking at tweet history, it was no longer than ten minutes we were up there that we found out about Mika’s ankle. First thought in my mind: Oakland. Would he cancel? We were a bit uneasy but enjoyed ourselves. Finally sat down (my legs were happy). Saw Perez and Katy Perry (that girl is way too skinny) and two of the Butterfly Lounge gals. The band came up and a few of us talked to Imma for a few minutes. Told her she’s adorable and awesome and we love her clothes. She was so sweet and fun to talk to. Then Allison came up and split all the people still waiting into groups. The MFC clumped together and waited in the corner. A few groups went down, but we’d heard Mika wouldn’t be seeing anyone.

And he didn’t. Allison got us all together and told us the situation about Mika’s ankle and said he wouldn’t be doing m+g’s tonight. She reassured us that the gig in Oakland will probably still happen. Mika hates cancelling. She also promised us an m+g in Oakland and free tickets if anyone hadn’t planned to go but wanted to now. So awesome. She’s a cool gal.

As we completely understood, none of us were mad that we couldn’t see Mika. He needed his rest. We walked back to Clare’s (lovempls) car, aka where everyone put everything! Mana and Andrew and Christine took a taxi (that got there quickly), Karin (mellody76) walked back to her hostel. Brittany (daydreambeliever) got a ride from family. So that left me, Clare, Sivan and Nono. We took Nono (who was still feeling unwell) back home and then…we were off.

CHAPTER 5: The Adventures of the Three Amigas and the Tour Bus

We got on the 5, us Three Amigas, and decided we needed FOOD! I attempted to remove my makeup, but I had one blue eyebrow I couldn’t get rid of. Sivan still had her wig on and Clare still looked like Alex from A Clockwork Orange and I had my gold skirt on and smudgy makeup as we walked into Denny’s. The server’s face was priceless. She looked quite confused. We didn’t explain. :naughty:

We all got Grand Slams, which were so good…and Sivan and I had coffee to keep awake (with half and half of course) because we had a loooong night ahead of us. While there, Mana kept us updated with Mika news. It was a strain, not a sprain (which ended up actually being torn tendons :boxed: ) but we were relieved. Clare tweeted Jimmy to come to the Denny’s off I-5 in Valencia. And judging by his tweets, we think he did…but after we had left. Darn.

Clare was tired, so I took the first driving shift. It was probably 1:30 when we left and started down the Grapevine. It was THEN that we concocted our plan. An MFC care package for Mika! With character bandaids, and a card from us, a card from the queue and half and half! Haha. Our late night delirious ramblings on the Mapquest (BIG ASS CARD) turned out to be such a wonderful idea. But those details come in the Oakland report.

Clare drifted off to sleep a bit after this. Sivan kept me awake by chatting. We talked about so many random things…and I wasn’t tired. Alright…this is a true story. I make up none of this. We saw the tour bus drive past us. It was about 2:30 am. It was the band bus…gray, with Mississippi plates. We reasoned it out. It HAD to be them. At the time, we didn’t know that Mika was still in LA and not in the bus with everyone else. We passed it and laughed. We were gonna beat them. They were going slow and we were going…faster. It was around 3:45 and near Fresno that I started feeling sleepy. I finally found an exit, so we stopped at a gas station to go to the bathroom and get water. And that’s when we saw it. A table with coffee and baskets full of mini half and halfs. Score. I made sure no one was looking and shoved like 5 of them in my purse. Hey, they were just sitting there for anyone to take. Hahaha.

So we got back on the road and Sivan was driving. I was almost asleep. THISCLOSE to being asleep when I hear Sivan exclaim “THE BUS!” I woke up immediately. And no joke, there was the bus. Again. It caught up with us. We drove up to the window, the driver waved at me and I waved back. Then began the cat and mouse game of following the bus. Everywhere it went, we went. This was not stalking. They just happened to be taking the same route and hey, we were guaranteed not to get lost. Sometime we did stop and Clare drove. I fell asleep around 6 and woke up around 6:45 when we stopped at a gas station to get energy drinks and Clare told us we lost the bus. I was gonna go back to sleep, but instead drank a Starbucks Double Shot and woke up. Yes. I got 45 minutes of sleep. I still don’t know how my body survived and didn’t shut down on me.

So, we were almost there. The sunrise was beautiful. I was still in awe as to how I managed to stay awake like that. As Clare pulled off the highway onto our exit ramp, I was a bit dazed and tired and not paying attention. Until I hear “What the hell??!!” Sivan exclaimed. “THE BUS!!!” And there it was. On the exit ramp, one car ahead of us. It was as if we were fated to keep meeting up in the same spot. So, we followed the bus, past our hotel, to their hotel and when no one got out in about a minute, we left and went to our hotel to get ready for…more than this. :teehee:

Edited by lollipopgirl83

CHAPTER 2: This Is Why I Love This Man

Honestly, the gig is so clear in my mind yet such a blur. The opening was adorable, gotta love Ian McKellen…and the band is amazing as well. But then there he was. In his spacesuit ascending the stairs, the man who I hadn’t seen in over a year and even though I’d fallen away for awhile, I felt the same way I did right when I discovered Mika. Everything was brand new again, I got the butterflies in my stomach which was replaced with pure excitement as I realized this was real. Oh, and then he took his clothes off. WAG video in real life. Asdfghjkl so amazing. :swoon:

The barefoot (in hindsight, a bad idea) Mika bounded on stage carrying a suitcase singing Relax, or at least I think he was, I couldn’t hear him over the screaming. Got worried since Gary Go’s sound was sh*tty at first and Sivan and Nono complained about the sound at a previous gig at the Palladium, but it was alright in the end. Just loud screaming was the problem I think.

I’d go through the whole setlist, but that seems redundant because I can only say AMAZING and FANTASTIC and OHMYGOD so many times, so I’ll just hit the highlights.

Touches You: One of his best songs on the album and one of his best songs live. The other best part was Sivan’s reaction. That girl loves that song. :naughty: And some awesome dance moves!

Happy Ending: definitely choked up a bit. I remember thinking to myself now THIS is why I love this man.

I See You: Definitely tears. One of my faves, when it was I’m Fallin and now. I think the reason this song gets to me is because I completely relate to it. That song is what my life is like. Kinda sad. I’d never teared up at a Mika gig….goes to show what he does to you.

Rain: One of my favorite songs on the album. SPECTACULAR live! The "storm scene" with the confetti was fun. Had confetti down my shirt all night. Pumping, thumping dance tune. Epic.

One Foot Boy: Oh the irony….how could we have known then about what this song would mean? Got some intense eye contact. I got some earlier too, don’t remember which song though.

LMAO yeah i did kinda go nuts at this concert :roftl: i couldnt help it...i wanted to see TOUCHES YOU live so much!!!

Haha, I think we all went nuts!:roftl: I just remember you were ESPECIALLY excited for Touches You!:wink2::biggrin2:

*giggles* :teehee: im uploading few pix to facebook... but u probably seen them all.... oh and i have a video of us on the tram thing in SF :P but ill do some math in a few.... ill upload all the rest of the stuff one day when i have time....waaaaa

*giggles* :teehee: im uploading few pix to facebook... but u probably seen them all.... oh and i have a video of us on the tram thing in SF :P but ill do some math in a few.... ill upload all the rest of the stuff one day when i have time....waaaaa

YAY!:aah: Yeah, i've seen all your pics (which are awesome by the way) but it'll be good to have them on facebook too! HAHA, I remember that. Can't wait to see it.:naughty:

But don't feel rushed. Do your work and stuff first. Don't stress out too much. It'll all be done soon.:biggrin2:

The're lovely, mellody! :thumb_yello: And this one is just super cute :wub2:

yeah, was so funny when they lifted him up! :naughty: poor cherisse though, doesn't look too comfortable for her! :roftl: and jimmy also looks a bit unhappy, maybe mika was heavier than he expected... :naughty:

While taking breaks from writing my Oakland report, I decided to Twitter stalk and I found this little exchange between Perez and Katy Perry while at the concert. (which begs the question as to why they tweeted each other while standing next to each other :dunno:)

katyperry: F*** I love how people react to music... It's the best feeling ever. I'm watching the kids jump to Mika & they're in a different world!!!

10:26 PM Oct 23rd from UberTwitter

PerezHilton: @katyperry Hell yeah!!! He's killing it!

10:31 PM Oct 23rd from UberTwitter in reply to katyperry

She is right...we WERE in a different world.:wub2:

While taking breaks from writing my Oakland report, I decided to Twitter stalk and I found this little exchange between Perez and Katy Perry while at the concert. (which begs the question as to why they tweeted each other while standing next to each other :dunno:)

katyperry: F*** I love how people react to music... It's the best feeling ever. I'm watching the kids jump to Mika & they're in a different world!!!

10:26 PM Oct 23rd from UberTwitter

PerezHilton: @katyperry Hell yeah!!! He's killing it!

10:31 PM Oct 23rd from UberTwitter in reply to katyperry

She is right...we WERE in a different world.:wub2:

TOTALY! :thumb_yello:

WE ARE GOLDEN: I honestly have no other words for this than I don’t think I’ve ever felt so happy in my life. The moment I heard this song I was re-obsessed. It makes me feel good whenever I listened to it on the recording. Now that doesn’t even hold a candle to the feeling of ecstasy you get from hearing it live. Even Mika feels it too. The first “WE ARE NOT WHAT YOU THINK WE ARE” bit…he didn’t even sing it. He just stood back and listened to that whole crowd proclaim “WE ARE GOLDEN!” It’s so empowering. His happiness made me feel happy…so happy I got goosebumps. Most amazing thing ever.

loved reading your report! especially this part about WAG, you describe the moment so beautifully:wub2:

here are my LA pix: http://www.mikafanclub.de/bilder-losangeles.php

some of the best ones here:

losangeles50.jpg

great pics karin!! t4p

the last one is so funny:roftl: wish there is a vid about it

loved reading your report! especially this part about WAG, you describe the moment so beautifully:wub2:

:blush-anim-cl:Thanks. I had fun writing it. It's hard to put that moment into words, especially because you can't understand it fully until you've actually experienced it. I read reports of it before of how awesome it was, but I didn't get it until I was there.

have started uploading my LA videos - here's the first one, pick up off the floor:
- watch my youtube account for more, or wait until i'm finished, then i'll post all the links here. :wink2:

:boing: YAY! Thank you! I love watching all the videos.:wub2:

ok here they are - not the best sound quality though, as it was generally not that good in this venue, and girls around me were screaming like mad... :sneaky2:

intro astronaut/shorts (sorry for the shaking, but at least i have the interesting part on focus. :das:):

short clip of mika with the big girls dancing in the background:

some bits of touches you:

(got more of that in oakland)

pick up off the floor, whole song:

bit of one foot boy, only about 30 seconds, but very close-up. :bleh:

mika with the teapot - of which the leg fell off, seems like that was a bad omen... :teehee:

the crowd singing competition during BIOTG:

talk before happy ending; stupid sound in that venue, i didn't (and still don't) understand much of what he said there:

i see you, whole song:

1 minute of we are golden:

toy boy, whole song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4MtbFEIsjs