Mika on his demoNs and overcoming a crisis of confidence

dcdeb

I wasn't in any sense nagging- I really don't see why you would think I was. BUT I know other people- Kath, Tiibet, Mellody?- have flown out to the states for gigs, and in their place I'd be wishing I'd chosen this one! It's a perfectly natural reaction. So is dreaming that it- or better- might happen to us one day, but I have NEVER nagged Mika on Twitter or anywhere else and so do not deserve to be reprimanded

Sorry I posted this in the wrong thread it seems anyway :doh:

Anyway I'm not reprimanding you, just trying to make it clear to others who have already started tweeting Mika asking to paint his balls, etc.

My point is that if others had chosen to fly here, in all likelihood they wouldn't have been with us and still would not have gotten the chance to paint the set. In their place I think I would rather have not been in Toronto at all, than been left out.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've MQed so many posts I've decided to delete them all... this thread has made my day... I so needed the laugh..

the article is great... really enjoy reading refreshing stuff... :thumb_yello: seems like we're getting more of them lately.. be it tall tales or not.. Mika's stories are fascinating..

About painting Mika's balls..... WOW!!!!! That is the best Mika adventure story EVER!!! Absolutely love it.. absolutely!! Don't like how the press makes him sound so tight though... surely ppl don't buy the budget constraint excuse..... if he can buy pizzas and offer flight tix to ppl.. surely he can hire hands to do the job.. duh.

Love the fact the planets been painted with TLC.... the tour means a whole lot more now..:wub2:

Glad it was you lot that experienced that!!! & not some non-hardcore fans :thumb_yello: but mind you.. Mika wouldn't have asked otherwise anyway..

Thanks for the nice read :biggrin2:

This is what I was thinking too...and I'm happy that Mika said the first word so you could share this absolutely lovely experience with us!:wub2:

...trying to make it clear to others who have already started tweeting Mika asking to paint his balls, etc.

:shocked:You can't underestimate people's reaction...:shocked:

...although when I read your sentence about those tweets again I can easily interpret it in a different way :floor:

My point is that if others had chosen to fly here, in all likelihood they wouldn't have been with us and still would not have gotten the chance to paint the set.

If I had chosen to go to that gig, it would have been to do some sightseeing and perhaps visit a friend there.... I don't see how people would seriously think they would have been part of it had they bought tickets for the Toronto gig.

Also, realistically speaking, I think there are maximum two dozens of fans around the world Mika would have trusted to ask such favour / offer them such experience and that part is not random luck, they earned it. :wink2: (and we should be happy for them.)

Edited by suzie

Well offers to paint Mika's balls could just be joking, it is funny- but a lot would probably sound like nagging to him

Yes, the nearer to the ball painting the more frustrating it would be to miss it. Last year (or 07?) people who decided against Salt Lake for another venue are probably still kicking themselves- especially if they thought he might not get there cos of the weather. There's a lot of luck involved and I'm not going to stop sympathising with people who just miss

Having said that, I think Twitter might be the place to address people's behaviour on twitter.

Sorry I posted this in the wrong thread it seems anyway :doh:

Anyway I'm not reprimanding you, just trying to make it clear to others who have already started tweeting Mika asking to paint his balls, etc.

My point is that if others had chosen to fly here, in all likelihood they wouldn't have been with us and still would not have gotten the chance to paint the set. In their place I think I would rather have not been in Toronto at all, than been left out.

I agree. I would have felt a bit sad being in Toronto but not being a part of your painting team. I rather have my own memories about my own trip to NA, it was a lovely trip with someone I love and we saw two fabulous gigs :wub2:

And if I really think about your day with him, I feel a little bit jealous, so I try not to think it too much :naughty: It would be just pointless. I'm glad you could experience it all as a group of friends, I'm sure you will remember it for the rest of your lives.

Yes, the nearer to the ball painting the more frustrating it would be to miss it. Last year (or 07?) people who decided against Salt Lake for another venue are probably still kicking themselves- especially if they thought he might not get there cos of the weather. There's a lot of luck involved and I'm not going to stop sympathising with people who just miss

But in that case you may as well sympathize with every Mika fan every day all over the world. Mika is doing things and not including them just about every waking moment of his life if for no other reason than the fact that we have no idea where he is.

You can't compare the Utah gig because it's a gig. Any fan who wanted to buy tickets and go there would have seen the show simply through that decision. You would have had to have been psychic in order to be at the supermarket and run into Mika at the same time that we did. As I said I live right down the street from the venue and it's the only reason we were there. I wouldn't expect someone from Finland or Germany to be hanging out in an Asian supermarket in a warehouse district in the middle of nowhere, Toronto on a Sunday afternoon. There is nothing else in the area - no public transport, no sights, no shops, no hotels, nothing.

Having said that, I think Twitter might be the place to address people's behaviour on twitter.

I don't have any authority to address it on Twitter and in fact I haven't discussed this on Twitter. We're talking about the event here, so I'm going to use this forum to clear up any misunderstandings there may be about what happened and why.

Also, realistically speaking, I think there are maximum two dozens of fans around the world Mika would have trusted to ask such favour / offer them such experience and that part is not random luck, they earned it. :wink2: (and we should be happy for them.)

That's sweet of you to say Suzie and it's only my opinion but I feel the same way. I wasn't actually there when Mika asked so I hope that doesn't sound too boastful. I had a migraine at the time and wasn't up for eating chicken feet so Zoots and I were waiting for the others so we could go to a sandwich shop after. :naughty:

I rather have my own memories about my own trip to NA, it was a lovely trip with someone I love and we saw two fabulous gigs :wub2:

I try to take that approach with everything. Little Noise was obviously a very special gig and I would have loved to have been there but we can't be everywhere experiencing everything all the time. You just have to treasure your own special moments and know that there are probably others to come in the future.

Well offers to paint Mika's balls could just be joking, it is funny- but a lot would probably sound like nagging to him

:thumb_yello::wink2:

SoSi this wasn't some kind of MFC perk. It didn't even happen at a gig. We just happened to be in the right place at the right time (I live within a mile of the venue and the pizza Team Mika ordered came from my local pizzeria.)

The reason we were together is because we are close friends and had been planning to spend the day together regardless of Mika. Even some of our other close friends like Aurelien and Long weren't with us because they had other plans that day.

One of the reasons we were hesitant about discussing this on the board is because we don't want people getting the idea that Mika is going to ask fans to come hang out with him as some kind of perk. He needed our help and we were there. I don't expect it will ever happen again, not even for us.

People are joking around with Mika and the ball painting, but if they seriously start nagging him about this I'm going to regret ever having said anything about it.

That pretty much sums it up IMO. It was a fluke, and a once-off.

I wasn't in any sense nagging- I really don't see why you would think I was. BUT I know other people- Kath, Tiibet, Mellody?- have flown out to the states for gigs, and in their place I'd be wishing I'd chosen this one! It's a perfectly natural reaction. So is dreaming that it- or better- might happen to us one day, but I have NEVER nagged Mika on Twitter or anywhere else and so do not deserve to be reprimanded

I'm 100% sure that she didn't mean you or even now, Sosi.

I've MQed so many posts I've decided to delete them all... this thread has made my day... I so needed the laugh..

the article is great... really enjoy reading refreshing stuff... :thumb_yello: seems like we're getting more of them lately.. be it tall tales or not.. Mika's stories are fascinating..

About painting Mika's balls..... WOW!!!!! That is the best Mika adventure story EVER!!! Absolutely love it.. absolutely!! Don't like how the press makes him sound so tight though... surely ppl don't buy the budget constraint excuse..... if he can buy pizzas and offer flight tix to ppl.. surely he can hire hands to do the job.. duh.

That also bugs me; I hate it how they make him sound like he was being cheap. It was just a matter of them running out of time because plan A went wrong :dunno:

Love the fact the planets been painted with TLC.... the tour means a whole lot more now..

Totally :wub2:. This is why we freaked out every time we saw those darn planets, and on every one of my Toronto videos you can hear some stupid comment on the balls/planets

Glad it was you lot that experienced that!!! & not some non-hardcore fans :thumb_yello: but mind you.. Mika wouldn't have asked otherwise anyway..

I honestly think that the reason why he asked us is that he "knew" and trusted us. He specifically said that we needed to keep it a secret, so he must have been sure that we would.

thing is, like the others already said, there's no way anyone could've known this in advance. and i wouldn't have flewn over for toronto, i wanted to go on holiday in california. so, no way in the world that i would've been there, and therefor nothing to regret. it IS my ultimate dream, alongside something like that london pub party, but - also like the others said - it was pure luck, and in that way won't happen again. i had lots of luck with bumping into mika in the past as well... 3 times to be exact, where i had him all to myself for a few minutes - and i'm confident that my luck won't leave me and one day i'll have the chance to go to a pub party or anything like that, where i just can hang out with nice people in mika's presence & relaxed atmosphere for a while. :original:

My point is that if others had chosen to fly here, in all likelihood they wouldn't have been with us and still would not have gotten the chance to paint the set.

hmm... :fisch: but well, as i said above, there's no way i'd have been in toronto for this gig, so no reason for me to worry about this point. :naughty:

I honestly think that the reason why he asked us is that he "knew" and trusted us. He specifically said that we needed to keep it a secret, so he must have been sure that we would.

Sorry to be debby downer, but if you're saying he "knows" you and trusts you, is because you've seen how many gigs and met him how many times...

It's not my fault I can't do that, and I'd love to have him "know" and trust me too...

That's not fair, IMO.

but yeah it was luck blahblahblah and it would've been amazing! :wub2:

Sorry to be debby downer, but if you're saying he "knows" you and trusts you, is because you've seen how many gigs and met him how many times...

It's not my fault I can't do that, and I'd love to have him "know" and trust me too...

That's not fair, IMO.

but yeah it was luck blahblahblah and it would've been amazing! :wub2:

:huglove:I know, I can totally understand that, of course, and I'm sure that I would feel similarly if I was in your situation, but the reality is that people have different circumstances and I can't change that.

I'm 38 years old, live in London, have a job and have no dependants. Of course I will have far more chances to create more of these opportunities for myself than you, being 15 and living in Toronto, but I do feel for you. If it's any consolation, when I was your age I wasn't allowed to do anything, so you have seen far more than I had at that age for sure :wink2:. In a couple of years you'll be flying, and able to do more. I really, honestly don't know what else I can say :dunno:

hmm... :fisch: but well, as i said above, there's no way i'd have been in toronto for this gig, so no reason for me to worry about this point. :naughty:

I did tell you how nice the scenery was in Toronto but you wanted CA instead. :fisch:

But seriously I'm not saying that there's no chance that anyone in particular would have been there. It depends entirely on the person and their circumstances and how well we all know each other.

The truth is no one is more gutted than the people we had asked to come sightseeing with us that day so I'm kind of reserving my sympathy for them rather than worrying about relatively unlikely hypothetical situations.

That's not fair, IMO.

But the same is true for not being able to work with Mika every day. It's not your fault you weren't born into his family or not 25 years old and working in the music business, etc. We all have certain advantages and disadvantages in life and we'd be down all the time if all we thought about is what other people have that we don't have at this moment in our lives.

I know you're upset that you didn't get a chance to talk to Mika in Toronto and if I could have gotten access to him I would have been happy to include you or even pass it on to you if I had to. I hung back for the rest of the tour and only spoke to Mika briefly in Seattle to give him an envelope from Adicat because she wasn't able to give it to him in Toronto.

I've had some special moments where Mika is concerned and I wish I could share it with you and a lot of other people but sometimes we can't control the circumstances. I hope you get your chance next time he's here. :huglove:

Running into Mika was pure luck. Had I made an extra batch of pancakes that morning for the Decadents, we would have been sitting at that breakfast table chatting for a few more hours and we would have certainly missed running into him. So we left when we did, and texted Christine and Zoots (who live near the venue) to meet us when we did.

Mana, Sara and Babs stayed over my place the night before and we were lucky that my car fit us just perfectly and my kids stayed with their grandparents - there would not have been room for any another person. It was mere coincidence which is why for the longest time, it seemed so unreal.

I did tell you how nice the scenery was in Toronto but you wanted CA instead. :fisch:

But seriously I'm not saying that there's no chance that anyone in particular would have been there. It depends entirely on the person and their circumstances and how well we all know each other.

The truth is no one is more gutted than the people we had asked to come sightseeing with us that day so I'm kind of reserving my sympathy for them rather than worrying about relatively unlikely hypothetical situations.

very true. all of it. next time i should listen to you. :naughty:

so which uk gig do you recommend? :naughty::roftl:

nah, california was fab, happy i was there! :wub2:

Wow... I haven't been on MFC in a long time!

How exciting that we can finally talk about this... although I'm pretty proud of us that we respected his request to keep it quiet for over a month, until after he actually told a journalist about it himself. It wasn't something we expected to happen - it was just luck, chance, fate, whatever... but it happened - and when he asked us to please keep it quiet we had to respect that.

I had a hellova time. Especially when he asked me himself if I would be a Big Girl dancer... and I said "thanks but no thanks"! He had to spend 5 minutes batting his Bambi eyes trying to convince me - and then I said "maybe"!! What the heck was I thinking? It was an incredible experience - so glad I did it. I was shaking when I went back over to our little group who were at the stage watching the band rehearse... and my dear friends convinced me I had to do it. (Thank you!)

As Sara & Christine said, when they were rehearsing Love Today he brought me up on stage with him and practiced the BG dancing with me. It was soooo surreal... and I kept looking down at Christine, Sara, Mana, Bab, Suzy and Ryan, standing at the front of the stage and cheering like it was the real concert. And btw - I almost fell off that little catwalk platform that's behind Cherrisse, and Mika caught me!

I think my other favourite part was when he was sitting beside me on the floor at one point while we were painting the planets, and he said to me "I f'ked this one up. Can you fix it for me?" Ha! I don't know - something about that seemed really great to me... I think just that it was all so laid back and casual. Really a lovely day.

Mika asking Zoots to be a big girl was one of the highlights of the night for me. He taught her a dance and she did such a good job with it. Mika was just as impressed as we were! :bow:

Awww... thank you Christine! :wub2:

One of the reasons we were hesitant about discussing this on the board is because we don't want people getting the idea that Mika is going to ask fans to come hang out with him as some kind of perk. He needed our help and we were there. I don't expect it will ever happen again, not even for us.

People are joking around with Mika and the ball painting, but if they seriously start nagging him about this I'm going to regret ever having said anything about it.

Yes - I really hope people don't get the wrong idea about this. It was purely coincidental, and I don't expect to ever be so lucky again. They were tired, and they would have had to stay up all night long painting the set themselves - they just needed some extra hands and we happened to bump into them at the exact right time.

I wasn't actually there when Mika asked so I hope that doesn't sound too boastful. I had a migraine at the time and wasn't up for eating chicken feet so Zoots and I were waiting for the others so we could go to a sandwich shop after. :naughty:

OMG you should have seen your face when you saw the chicken feet!! :stretcher:

Running into Mika was pure luck. Had I made an extra batch of pancakes that morning for the Decadents, we would have been sitting at that breakfast table chatting for a few more hours and we would have certainly missed running into him. So we left when we did, and texted Christine and Zoots (who live near the venue) to meet us when we did.

Mana, Sara and Babs stayed over my place the night before and we were lucky that my car fit us just perfectly and my kids stayed with their grandparents - there would not have been room for any another person. It was mere coincidence which is why for the longest time, it seemed so unreal.

Exactly. The whole thing was just the stars aligning for us perfectly... not anything you can win or make happen... just something we can be thankful for and keep as a great memory.

Don't take it to Heart SS, it's yesterdays news, his pages now are all filled with eyepatchness & pirate jokes today, he already said on the OZ interview he doesnt like Twitter much so I don't think he takes much notice of the tweets he gets, he could NEVER keep up with them or read them all anyway.

And I tweeted him about painting his balls and I WAS NOT nagging I was joking cos I happen to have a pretty good sense of humour even if it IS schoolboy humour (seems he does too if his farting on a record comment is anything to go on). So if anyone thinks I am gonna feel bad about having a sense of humour they can think again.

Anyways...hugs :pinkbow:xx

Edited by sparkly1

So if anyone thinks I am gonna feel bad about having a sense of humour they can think again.

Well to be honest I wasn't thinking about you at all. And my apologies for being selfish but I wasn't thinking about all the people who flew to the US instead of Toronto either since they weren't there.

Why is it so difficult to share your own experiences on MFC without it becoming all about other fans?

I loved reading the interview/article that Deb posted, and this entire thread...

The thought of all you lucky ones painting the set (which I thought was BEYOND WONDERFUL when I saw it at the concert in Boston) together with Mika is the best of the best!!! Oooooh, how I would have LOVED to have been there with you...

MikaPizzaTShirtforMFC.jpg