Live-Mika-Enmore Australia-samesame review

FREDDIESDOUBLE

Live - Mika - Enmore Theatre

Reviews, By gnosis, 26th November, 2009

I have a confession to make: about six months ago I was cleaning up my Last.FM account and I removed a couple of the Mika songs from his debut pop album, Life in Cartoon Motion, that lingered up high in my “most played tracks” list. “It has to be a mistake, surely I didn’t like him that much?”, I thought to myself as I purged.

Mika’s first return visit to Sydney at the Enmore Theatre on Tuesday night reminded me of exactly why those songs were stuck on repeat three years ago.

The show began as something you might expect to see in an episode of Mad Men, the swell-dressed band sat on a couch lit with a shaded lamp facing away from the stage. Tea was served as they watched a shuttle launch disaster unfold on the TV in front of them. Darkness descended on the stage and a tall lanky spaceman wandered on the stage above. Ripping off his helmet and shirt, Mika burst into Relax, Take It Easy.

Changing into a black and white striped and checkered jacket, Mika burst into his Freddie Mercury-esque hit Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) as three larger girls in amazing fluro corsets sprang up on stage and skirts shaked their butts to an adoring crowd.

Mika kept up the pace, following with Stuck In The Middle along with a few tracks from his new album, Dr Jones, Blue Eyes, Touches You, Pick Up Off The Floor and One Foot Boy.

Despite admitting to suffering from jet lag, Mika was clearly feeding on the energy of the crowd and was keen to involve us, dividing the audience in half for a sing-along to the chorus of Blame It On The Girls and employing the audience as the choir to the ballad Happy Ending.

Next, the label-free Mika performed his not-so-secretly-gay song Billy Brown and then slowed down the pace with the soft ballads I See You and Rain, before placing a feathered crown on his head and jumping into Love Today.

After repeatedly thanking the audience and announcing the show was coming to a close, the stage was lit gold as Mika belted out We Are Golden, the energetic hit from his latest album. The song was clearly designed for his live show, with the crowd repeatedly screaming out the chorus lines “We are not what you think we are, we are golden!” as the song drew to a close and Mika left the stage.

The always inevitable encore contained his new rag-timeish song Toy Boy along with the original breakout hits Grace Kelly and Lollipop to see the show out to a powerful ending. As was a big feature of his last show, dozens of huge white inflatable beach balls were kicked out into the crowd as Mika, literally, packed up his suitcase and left.

In contrast to some of the bigger international pop artists we’ve seen grace our shores recently, Mika seems to genuinely enjoy performing, with a smile from ear to ear throughout the show. And much like his music, his mood was incredibly contagious and the crowd absolutely adored him.

Mika lives in that world of contrast, however. The mis-matched black and white costumes, the glowing makeup beaming through the darkness, the amazing highs and lows of his voice and the high energy pop songs mixed with, at times, somber lyrics.

It had been three and a half years, since his one-off performance in Sydney, which Mika described it as a “one night stand and then we ****ed off” and it was well worth the wait. Mika is a true performer and on stage he is a jester holding court. He just needs to visit us more often before we forget why we love him again.

Mika played a one off show in Sydney at the Enmore Theatre on 23 Nov 2009. His album The Boy Who Knew Too Much is out now through Universal Music.

<thanks cassie elf>:thumb_yello:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a confession to make: about six months ago I was cleaning up my Last.FM account and I removed a couple of the Mika songs from his debut pop album, Life in Cartoon Motion, that lingered up high in my “most played tracks” list. “It has to be a mistake, surely I didn’t like him that much?”, I thought to myself as I purged.

Mika’s first return visit to Sydney at the Enmore Theatre on Tuesday night reminded me of exactly why those songs were stuck on repeat three years ago.

The show began as something you might expect to see in an episode of Mad Men, the swell-dressed band sat on a couch lit with a shaded lamp facing away from the stage. Tea was served as they watched a shuttle launch disaster unfold on the TV in front of them. Darkness descended on the stage and a tall lanky spaceman wandered on the stage above. Ripping off his helmet and shirt, Mika burst into Relax, Take It Easy.

Changing into a black and white striped and checkered jacket, Mika burst into his Freddie Mercury-esque hit Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) as three larger girls in amazing fluro corsets sprang up on stage and skirts shaked their butts to an adoring crowd.

Mika kept up the pace, following with Stuck In The Middle along with a few tracks from his new album, Dr Jones, Blue Eyes, Touches You, Pick Up Off The Floor and One Foot Boy.

Despite admitting to suffering from jet lag, Mika was clearly feeding on the energy of the crowd and was keen to involve us, dividing the audience in half for a sing-along to the chorus of Blame It On The Girls and employing the audience as the choir to the ballad Happy Ending.

Next, the label-free Mika performed his not-so-secretly-gay song Billy Brown and then slowed down the pace with the soft ballads I See You and Rain, before placing a feathered crown on his head and jumping into Love Today.

After repeatedly thanking the audience and announcing the show was coming to a close, the stage was lit gold as Mika belted out We Are Golden, the energetic hit from his latest album. The song was clearly designed for his live show, with the crowd repeatedly screaming out the chorus lines “We are not what you think we are, we are golden!” as the song drew to a close and Mika left the stage.

The always inevitable encore contained his new rag-timeish song Toy Boy along with the original breakout hits Grace Kelly and Lollipop to see the show out to a powerful ending. As was a big feature of his last show, dozens of huge white inflatable beach balls were kicked out into the crowd as Mika, literally, packed up his suitcase and left.

In contrast to some of the bigger international pop artists we’ve seen grace our shores recently, Mika seems to genuinely enjoy performing, with a smile from ear to ear throughout the show. And much like his music, his mood was incredibly contagious and the crowd absolutely adored him.

Mika lives in that world of contrast, however. The mis-matched black and white costumes, the glowing makeup beaming through the darkness, the amazing highs and lows of his voice and the high energy pop songs mixed with, at times, somber lyrics.

It had been three and a half years, since his one-off performance in Sydney, which Mika described it as a “one night stand and then we ****ed off” and it was well worth the wait. Mika is a true performer and on stage he is a jester holding court. He just needs to visit us more often before we forget why we love him again.

Mika played a one off show in Sydney at the Enmore Theatre on 23 Nov 2009. His album The Boy Who Knew Too Much is out now through Universal Music.

ORLY?

258ntkz.gif

<thanks cassie elf>:thumb_yello:

It was actually two and a halkf years... and there were four of us on stage. Someone obviously wasn't paying attention.

No probs :thumb_yello: Amazing that the Big Girls Got mentioned :wub2::mf_lustslow:

I liked that it was mentioned, but they got the number wrong.

t4p!

3 years and a half since first in sidney?:blink: aren't they 2,5?

3 big girls:blink: weren't they 4?

obsessed by 3! :naughty:

I think that's the case Robi! It was 2 years, 5 months and 22 days between concert (I know, I checked). And there was defo 4 girls..

Wow...I would never imagine that! :teehee:

And...Dr.Jones? :aah:

Nice review, thanks for posting! :thumb_yello:

Well Mika himself did say 3 and a half years... so we can blame him for that one.

But I wouldn't call Rain a soft ballad the way we were jumping about during it, and he didn't wear the feathered hat in love today, and the big girls were 4 in number :naughty:

Oh and they were balloons not beach balls :naughty:

Other than that, seems to be a good report

Well Mika himself did say 3 and a half years... so we can blame him for that one.

But I wouldn't call Rain a soft ballad the way we were jumping about during it, and he didn't wear the feathered hat in love today, and the big girls were 4 in number :naughty:

Oh and they were balloons not beach balls :naughty:

Other than that, seems to be a good report

Well Mika can't count then! :teehee:

my fave part of the review.

t4p

Archived