The fans Mika deserves

mouselle

I was listening to an old Tism song, Play Mistral for me (lyrics below) and was amusing myself wondering if MFCers would agree that Mika deserves us in all our variety and glory. I also wonder - are we the fans he expected?

Play Mistral for Me

It takes a great person to get a idea

But don't go public it'll ruin the plan

Because no matter how clever and original you are

You're only as good as your fans.

Peter Garrett chanting "Oils, Oils"

Can you imagine it? I don't think you can

But as a Mistral employee once told me

Each man kills the thing he loves:

The fisherman caught in his own net.

It's frightening that you deserve

The audience that you get.

So the Beatles found out up with Helter Skelter

And John Lennon saw it in Mr.Chapman

And the Stones learnt from Gimme Shelter;

Yo! Fight the power, what did I say?

All the girls say "YO"! all the boys say "YO"!

Everybody say "YO"! Here comes the hamburgular!

Elle Mc.Pherson is really a person,

But don't tell the guy that buys the calendar.

Jump! Monica! Jump! Monica! Jump! Monica! Jump! Monica!

You can't get a laugh at of Stefi Graf

If you tell that her friends are a bunch of backstabbers;

Kurt Cobain couldn't deal with pain

But at least he didn't score an own goal against Colombia.

Yo! Impersonator X! Give it to me!

So maybe we shouldn't hate Collingwood

Or blame religion on J.C.

Or marvel at all the racist kids

Who love Public Enemy.

Maybe Allah was a peace loving guy

Maybe Elle really is more than a body

Maybe Oprah Winfrey is intelligent

Maybe TISM know the word "irony".

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think Mika HAS got the fans he deserves. I wonder about some of the other people he has around him.

I do think that the fans are hugely important and that The Powers that Be should check what we are talking about on the threads, because then they would find out what the public want.

It's like this issue of Rain not being available to US fans. That is rediculous. It should be available to everyone. Any song Mika releases should be available to everyone.

The things we discuss here should give Mika's people indications of what the public wants and needs regarding Mika's music, sales, and promotion. That's what I think anyway.

Ok, let me take the discussion a step further, since it does interest me.

I'll look at aspects of Mika, and fans as classes of people, and see what I get.

Misfits - Mika describes himself as one, but does not look like one, and charms just about everyone he meets. He sings about big girls and gay men, and people in emotional situations (Blue eyes, Lonely Alcoholic) who feel trapped. He sings about his own emotions and reactions (I see You, Touches You). But he is not singing about anything unusual, so the misfits he seems to be speaking to are those whom society accepts, but who still feel as though they don't belong. They might have unusual quirks, but they are not those of fetish-ists, or people in leather and tattoos. He's much more on the mainstream side than that, and so are his fans at concerts.

Pretty Boy - Regardless of personality, Mika is stunning to look at, face and body. That attracts fans who like to look, and stop at looking. He's so hot and sexy that when they get close, they need to let him know, and they are desperate for him to take off his shirt and to tell him he is sexy.

Single Unattached Male- This status also attracts fans. They want to be his only one, fix him up and take him home. Only they can truly understand him, and he of course is the only one can ever understand them. They will be the perfect match if only they could be together.

Music - A lot of fans say they are here for the music. So, I'll call us the fans who want the emotions Mika's music gives us, as he is using standard instruments and techniques on stage. Are we relating to the happiness of the music or the sadness of the lyrics, or more complexly to the combination? And is his music unusual enough that he is the only source? Unless his music is unique, there may be other reasons why we fan-follow Mika and not others. For the less committed fans, the music may be the only reason, with "nice song" being sufficient explanation.

Voice - Mika has an exceptional and unusual voiuce, but most fan discussion don't revolve around this except as an added extra to add to an already-loved package. Lovers of pure voice generally head to opera or jazz (IMO).

Charisma - Mika affects us all differently, but very strongly. He has a strong personality that many of us are drawn to. We may not share the words, so I'll call it the himness of him! (Charming, genuine, open, caring, different, unjaded..... Add your own words to your own taste.)

Artist - Some fans are inspired by Mika and Da Whack's art, and are using it to encourage themselves to be more artistic. Some fans are just appreciative of the art, and admire the creativity on display. Mika has a deep interest in some aspects of art, especially animations and cartoons, but most fans are more traditionally sketching and photoshopping. So any inspiration seems to be to the general concept of 'artist', rather than direct inspiration from the work they do, or of the things Mika likes.

Songwriter/musician - a small smattering of fans seem to be inspired by his songwriting and feel encouraged to expand their own skills, but critical objective acclaim is relatively rare, so I think "true musicians" are not enthused. Any purists would be horrified at his ditching classical for pop! Mika is positioned deliberately much more in the realm of bubblegum music, but less so with the second album, due to the darker lyrics. There is a natural limit possibly on how dark his lyrics can go and still be saved by happy music! TBWKTM is not at all a happy album once you get to listen to the lyrics. regardless, it does not seem that he will become deep and meaningful enough to attract those who are in it for the lyrics alone. He is not displaying fantastic wordsmithing or poetic skills in his lyrics so far, he is mostly appealing to the average person.

Nice and Upbeat - a lot of fans have been caught by the niceness and positive outlook Mika has. Not everyone sees it. Aussies often describe him as whingeing, and don't seem to notice the Pollyanna ending to most of his chats. The niceness has been adopted by a large majority of his MFC fans, and seems to be a major part of MFC fan interaction.

Intellectual and Thoughtful - Mika is a very intelligent and wise man. I listen to every interview I can, and I try to absorb the wisdom from him. There are things he has said that I as a oldling have only recently discovered, ways of coping with life and looking at situations. His discussions on life and his depth of musical knowledge are things that we only catch glimpses of, and most fans are not here for those things.

I've run out of categories for the moment, so I'll consider what I've learned.

The majority of fans I see at concerts, live or youtube, seem to fit in the first three groups. The Tism song really talks about lowest common denominator winning over time.

I think there is no doubt that for the casual fan the Pretty Boy is the most important aspect. A good hit single and a good looking guy, and they'll buy tickets in droves.

I wonder which will win in the MFC and other fanclubs in the long term? We like to think we are nice, possibly in tribute to Mika, but on the Japanese forums the reaction to Blue Sky was apparently not nice at all!

It's to soon to tell, but I like to ponder. Major artists in their early unfashionable years often have an eclectic crowd who examine the new attraction dispassionately and are quite intellectual and objective in their discussions. As the artist's popularity grows, these fans often wander off, unwilling to take part in the extreme and unthinking fandom which follows increased popularity.

Will there come a day when MFC has evolved over time to a place where no criticism or intelligent discussion takes place? What do you think?

Or will we be so caught up in the cult of his personality that there is no escape for any of us, and we shall multiply and cover the earth?

I actually think Mika HAS got the fans he deserves. I wonder about some of the other people he has around him.

I do think that the fans are hugely important and that The Powers that Be should check what we are talking about on the threads, because then they would find out what the public want.

It's like this issue of Rain not being available to US fans. That is rediculous. It should be available to everyone. Any song Mika releases should be available to everyone.

The things we discuss here should give Mika's people indications of what the public wants and needs regarding Mika's music, sales, and promotion. That's what I think anyway.

If Mika has got the fans he deserves, how would you describe us? Do you see us fitting into one easily labelled group?

I haven't previously given much thought to the rest of your points. I suppose that MFC is a very small subset of the total number of fans, and to some extent, we are so hardcore it will be difficult to do much to dislodge us. We are the ones who will chase up songs we like, buy his music, and take whatever action we can to find out about concerts and attend.

I think that most of the decisons about what to release, and where, are in the hands of professionals who study charts and trends in different countries and give themselves ulcers trying to work out how to maximise sales around the world. I'm not saying they get it right, I am saying they are doing the best they can, with the information they have, just like the rest of us.

I am also convinced that Mika over-rides them whenever he thinks it is important enough, in matters where he has the power. We don't know the details of contracts he has signed. Most artist sign their power away. He may have had to compromise.

Anyway, for one person, he gets involved in a lot!

If Mika has got the fans he deserves, how would you describe us? Do you see us fitting into one easily labelled group?

I haven't previously given much thought to the rest of your points. I suppose that MFC is a very small subset of the total number of fans, and to some extent, we are so hardcore it will be difficult to do much to dislodge us. We are the ones who will chase up songs we like, buy his music, and take whatever action we can to find out about concerts and attend.

I think that most of the decisons about what to release, and where, are in the hands of professionals who study charts and trends in different countries and give themselves ulcers trying to work out how to maximise sales around the world. I'm not saying they get it right, I am saying they are doing the best they can, with the information they have, just like the rest of us.

I am also convinced that Mika over-rides them whenever he thinks it is important enough, in matters where he has the power. We don't know the details of contracts he has signed. Most artist sign their power away. He may have had to compromise.

Anyway, for one person, he gets involved in a lot!

Knowing Mika I don't think he would just give his freedom to a Label Company (...Grace kelly...:roftl:)

This is really interesting though!

I wouldn't ever categorize MFCers into one group, because you have those who are extremely hardcore who can only make it to one gig, or those who are on here just for the perks, or those who can make it to a million gigs, and plus the attitudes are very different. You have some fans who agree with everything mika says, or those who don't. And then those who are in the background silently. :roftl:

Interesting lyrics, especially the last verses.

Anyway, Mika definitely doesn't deserve me. No one deserves me.:naughty:

Still, here I am. :aah:

I like you being here! :thumb_yello: And I'll try to deserve you! :wub2:

If you read my categories, do you think you fit into any of them? If not, would you care to suggest another category that you think does fit? Maybe you are not as alone as you think you are! You could be our only chance to find the most important Mika group of all! :mf_rosetinted:

So, what attracts you to Mika? Which aspect is the most important to you?

I'm sorry to be off topic but - what did the japanese fans do to blue sky? :shocked:

They said very nasty things about her. Mika followed her on Twitter for less than 24 hours so she could track down some Japanese fans who gave him an amazing present, and give him their contact details privately via Direct Message.

They said very nasty things about her. Mika followed her on Twitter for less than 24 hours so she could track down some Japanese fans who gave him an amazing present, and give him their contact details privately via Direct Message.

I'm dying to know what sort of present that was. :aah:

Knowing Mika I don't think he would just give his freedom to a Label Company (...Grace kelly...:roftl:)

This is really interesting though!

I wouldn't ever categorize MFCers into one group, because you have those who are extremely hardcore who can only make it to one gig, or those who are on here just for the perks, or those who can make it to a million gigs, and plus the attitudes are very different. You have some fans who agree with everything mika says, or those who don't. And then those who are in the background silently. :roftl:

That's a description (mostly) of how they act, not what attracts them to Mika.

How...grade 4 of them. :naughty:

They should just be happy, and move on with their lives. :original:

That's a description (mostly) of how they act, not what attracts them to Mika.

Oh...sorry, I read "how would you describe us?" and went with that. :bleh:

I would say the majority of us love his voice and his music...

but there is unfortunately probably some shallow fans that are just like "Oh I love him because he's hot." :no:

How...grade 4 of them. :naughty:

They should just be happy, and move on with their lives. :original:

We rational beings know that, but my point is, that Mika's attitudes of acceptance and niceness are not necessarily being adopted by all fans, even the hard core ones who live on forums...

We rational beings know that, but my point is, that Mika's attitudes of acceptance and niceness are not necessarily being adopted by all fans, even the hard core ones who live on forums...

Generally my sad observation is, that people seldom get rewarded for being nice.

Oh...sorry, I read "how would you describe us?" and went with that. :bleh:

I would say the majority of us love his voice and his music...

but there is unfortunately probably some shallow fans that are just like "Oh I love him because he's hot." :no:

Duh - so i totally missed a section on his music as distinct from the fact that he is a musician...

i love him for his creativity, his songs, their lyrics and their melodies, his looks happen to be a pleasant bonus and his artwork is amazing :original: he also doesn't commit to the typical stereotype everyone expects a celebrity to be...

if i think of anything else (my mind went suddenly blank...) then i'll add

Generally my sad observation is, that people seldom get rewarded for being nice.

My happy observation is that people who are happy and nice get a far better treatment than people who are nice out of duty, and who feel it is difficult to do!

If your niceness springs from happiness, others usually want to share the glow, and seeing them start to glow is it's own reward - for me, anyway.

This Japanese forum thing was not a first :wink2:. I know of at least one other occurrence where a "local" fanclub has slagged some of our members off in the past, and this was already in 2007, so I guess that there are potentially many other situations where this may have happened. I guess that it's just life and human nature :biggrin2:

This Japanese forum thing was not a first :wink2:. I know of at least one other occurrence where a "local" fanclub has slagged some of our members off in the past, and this was already in 2007, so I guess that there are potentially many other situations where this may have happened. I guess that it's just life and human nature :biggrin2:

Remember the whole MFC vs. Mikasounds deal? :lmfao:

I find that quite amusing now. :teehee:

i love him for his creativity, his songs, their lyrics and their melodies, his looks happen to be a pleasant bonus and his artwork is amazing :original: he also doesn't commit to the typical stereotype everyone expects a celebrity to be...

if i think of anything else (my mind went suddenly blank...) then i'll add

I definitely have to write a section on the attraction of the music. I am not sure how to describe what sort of fans that makes us. 'Music lovers' is a bit too general.

Archived