The fans Mika deserves

mouselle

Well let's see here...I think I fall into a few categories..lol...I think we all probably do ;) I have say, I heard Mika in my bff's car first, and it was that voice that made me want to know more....then I saw his picture :mf_lustslow: I LOVE love love curly hair on guys....not sure why lol...and then I found all these interviews, and I really love his personality! haha :biggrin2: I mean he's so adorable, charming..yes, and there's a special sweetness about him that makes me wish I was his best friend to go on road trips with and laugh about the most ridiculous things. Maybe most of us have had that whole "outsider" experience, so maybe we are drawn to someone who felt the same things we did (at some point in our lives...mine was also childhood) and came out on top? At least that's how I feel :):group_hug:

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have honestly never, ever heard him say that. If you have, please point me towards the interview or video where he said it. Also, he is always polite and friendly, and he may well be happy to meet us on these occasions sometimes, but I have it in good authority that he would not be very happy with large, organised "welcome commitees" on these instances.

Mika is always nice and polite to us fans, because he is a genuinely nice guy who is also smart and savy, but what he is REALLY thinking may be a totally different thing.

Quite frankly, if everyone would now take this cue and go wait for him at any scheduled public appearance, I can guarantee that he wouldn't take long to totally hide away on those occasions. The mobbing after gigs is more than enough :teehee:.

The fact that you don't hear reports about it doesn't mean that it's not happening.

At every gig that I have been, there have been people constantly hanging around the back/side entrances, waiting for Mika and chatting to everyone who surrounds the 'operation. It's happening all the time. Have you not seen the manhy videos that people have even posted? In some cases there are as many people waiting for him at these times as there are after the gig, and in any case it's always a substantial enough number of fans to make it impossible to cross more than a word or two (when lucky!) with him.

For the record, these are the same people who are simultaneously "queuing" at the front fo the venue. And this goes on from the early hours of the morning on gig day.

This may be the case in Australia, but certainly not in Europe (or in North America judging by the few gigs that I did there). Situations are very different here, so these tactics don't work. Most MFC'ers going to gigs and events are there the whole day and speak to everyone, and yet the Mika moments are virtually zilch :wink2:.

Ok, I'm feeling very squashed now!:boxed:

I am caught between being open and honest, and being indiscreet. I am sorry if you think I stepped over the line. :giveup:

I saw the video where Mika said that just the other day - it was by some Italian fans outside a venue, and started with him talking about the homeless man on his doorstep. I'll see if I can hunt it up. ::puppy_eyes:

I wasn't thinking about organised welcome committees, although possibly organisation might reduce the chaos of every man for himself!

I didn't understand the volume of fans overseas. In Australia, you are right, I and DC are the only ones who make the effort, so I thought it would be similar in most cases. My apologies again for getting it wrong.

Ok, I feeling fairly squashed now!:boxed:

I am caught between being open and honest, and being indiscreet. I am sorry if you think I stepped over the line. :giveup:

I saw the video where Mika said that just the other day - it was by some Italian fans outside a venue, and started with him talking about the homeless man on his doorstep. I'll see if I can hunt it up. ::puppy_eyes:

I wasn't thinking about organised welcome committees, although possibly organisation might reduce the chaos of every man for himself!

I didn't understand the volume of fans overseas. In Australia, you are right, I and DC are the only ones who make the effort, so I thought it would be similar in most cases. My apologies again for getting it wrong.

Please don't feel squashed! It's not my intention to make you feel that way at all :huglove: I'm just speaking totally frankly, that's all.

I'm fairly sure that many things happen off the forum that should probably stay off the forum, and I personally think that if someone is dishing out "Mika gossip" this definitely qualifies for the "off forum" category :naughty:.

I just think that it may not be the best idea to post everything that happens in RL on the forum, or to publicise it, because what one person can see as being open and honest another can see as a breach of trust :dunno: , and you just never know who reads what and what happens with that information afterwards.

Anyway, on the video, I think that I know which time you mean, and of course he is going to say that he's happy to see us fans when WE ask him that. He'd never say "no", would he? I have had other reports though that make me think that whatever he says to us in a forced situation like that needs to be taken with a pinch of salt :wink2:.

The youtube video is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqDQTurV2Hg

And you are probably going to say I'm mis-interpreting what he says, and making more of it than he means. However, my ethics still tell me that when he is appearing publicly, I am allowed to wait there in hope of seeing him and possibly getting a kind word.

Which still means that if there is a crowd there, I'll be off to one side, not pushihg through....

Ok, this is me signing off for a while. Catch you later...

I tell you one thing....

No matter what you peeps say or whatever you may think of me...

Whenever Mika comes to Lisbon I won't be stalking him, all over him, mobbing or pushing,,,

I won't even be waiting on the side...

I'll get a parachute and LAND RIGHT ON HIM!

:naughty:

Anyway, on the video, I think that I know which time you mean, and of course he is going to say that he's happy to see us fans when WE ask him that. He'd never say "no", would he? I have had other reports though that make me think that whatever he says to us in a forced situation like that needs to be taken with a pinch of salt :wink2:.

agree. imo one can't say he likes it or doesn't like it in general - probably even about the airport, though i don't wanna give anyone any ideas. :teehee: i think if he's in a good mood and doesn't get mobbed, he likes it... at least in a way of being happy to make his fans happy. i'm quite sure he enjoys seeing ppl beam at him because he wrote his name on a piece of paper. :bleh:

but of course you're right sara, the more often it happens and the more fans turn up, the less he'll like it, because A) it'll just get too much and B) if fans turn up and have expectations because others met him at radio stations/airports, and he's NOT in the mood for meeting fans, they'll be disappointed and will make him feel bad about it (and if it's just by showing a disappointed face). so well, i can understand both sides, but i really hope it doesn't get a habit that ppl turn up at airports.

i've accidentially bumped into him on 3 occasions where i never would've actually tried to meet him - and i got both on those occasions... the first time a tired mika who was very obviously just being polite and wanted to be left alone, and the other 2 times a happy+chatty mika who initiated the talk! that's why i think, it really depends on his mood and isn't generally a "like" or "not like". :wink2:

I totally second that. I have also liked many bands or singers in my life, and I never actually signed up to a fanclub before this, and I would have never seen myself posting in a forum, never mind doing it for over 2 years :roftl:. In fact, no matter how much I like other artists post Mika, I haven't done that for them either.

IMO, the reason why Mika attracts all these loyal fans who travel the world to see him and feel this strong allegiance is explained by his incredible charisma, and the fact that he has this really strong and sweet personality that shines through. Everyone who has ever been a part of his entourage or worked with him has so many good things to say about him, and everyone who has met him if even very briefly, seems touched by his charm. He just posesses "something" and people fall under his net. As simple as that. Is it a cult??? :mf_lustslow:

sorry had to quote the whole thing but it's same for me, this is how I see it.

I initially got interested in Mika through my daughter, and I didn't take much notice of the you tube clip she showed me of GK back in Jan 07, but then after about a week of her playing it in the same room as me, I got to like it, then looked for it on youtube cos I didn't have it on my pc.

Then I stumbled across many interviews and fans meeting him and other music of his, so that is when I got really hooked on his personality, I LOVED his humour, and his warmth with his fans and everyone he seemed to meet or be interviewed by (one of the 1st was CHUBBY BUNNY :wub2: ) he just seemed to genuine and unafraid to be himself and I admired that greatly cos I am not a brave person.

I then spent a lot of time looking up interviews and lots of Mika realted things on the web, ended up making a video and winning a ticket to a gig of his, (so did my daughter).

So my 1st gig was Leeds ****pit May 07 and I had not been to a gig since I was a teenager, so when I ended up upstairs in the VIP part (due to the won tix) and I saw his family up there, I didn't dare speak to them cos I sometimes get shy and find it hard to speak to people I don't know, and also I felt it cheeky to just go up and start talking to them when they don't know me either. I also saw Mika sneak past fast in a peaked cap but I didn't speak to him either for the same reasons.

I have met him VERY briefly a few times and have tried to speak to him when I have had something for him, or have asked him to sign something, but I have his sig a few times now and I feel bad about asking him for it again so I don't think I will (though it's an excuse to have something to say to him when you get shy like I do).

Also because I find these situations difficult, I think there is little point in trying to chat to him in future, so although I will probs wait to see him after the Feb gigs I am going to, I don't think I will even TRY to speak to him unless I have something for him, I'm just so bad at knowing what to say and it's not just wtih him I can be like this a lot and I HATE it in myself

That is another thing I admire so much in Mika he always seems so at ease and confident when he talks to people, I am totally drawn to his personality.

So what catogory do I fit into then lol? sorry it's a long post.

The fans Mika deserves:

Fans who don't listen to anything but his music...

Fans who don't watch anyone else's vids...

Fans who don't look at anyone else's butts...

monkeys.jpg

You had to drag his butt into it, didn't you?:roftl::roftl::roftl:

I don't want to drone on, but I've never thought it was a good idea for people to meet him at the airport.

When he's touring, he's obviously going to be fairly tired from the constant travelling, and not always going to be in the best of moods. So although he may appear to be happy, who's to say underneath, he's wishing he was in the car rushing to the hotel for a rest, I know that's how I feel after a constant run of jobs. I just want to sleep.

And bumping into him at airports, that really can't be helped if you're getting a plane at the same time, and I'm sure he knows that it's not intentional. I mean no one knows his schedule exactly, and planes are booked in advance, so you can't know that he'll be there at that exact time. It just can't be helped.

But like Mellody says, if he wants to talk he will, he shouldn't feel he has to, in that situation.

Mika is always nice and polite to us fans, because he is a genuinely nice guy who is also smart and savy, but what he is REALLY thinking may be a totally different thing.

This may be the case in Australia, but certainly not in Europe (or in North America judging by the few gigs that I did there). Situations are very different here, so these tactics don't work. Most MFC'ers going to gigs and events are there the whole day and speak to everyone, and yet the Mika moments are virtually zilch :wink2:.

Yes I think he is very savy indeed, he's a clever bloke and knows what needs to be done.:wink2:

yep for sure and it's always so dam COLD here in UK too :sneaky2: and so it's not a pleasant thing to do most of the time.

I can't even begin to write in one post what it is that has drawn and continues to draw me to Mika. I've basically been discussing it with others for 3 years and it would probably take me another 3 years to explain it again.

Many of my thoughts on the subject and the rationale for them are not fit for discussion on a public message board in any case. :teehee:

I don't want to drone on, but I've never thought it was a good idea for people to meet him at the airport.

I feel the same. I think this and trying to meet him outside of radio and TV stations is, as Mouselle was discussing, taking an opportunity to try to catch him when there are less people about to maximize your chances of getting some of his time. But if it becomes standard practice among fans then it will quickly be guaranteed the same kind of mob scene you can expect after a gig anyway.

People always point to Mika's increasing popularity as the reason that access to him has become more restricted, but I think it has less to do with a change in his popularity and more to do with a change in the culture among hardcore fans that creates these situations. Mika probably had 200 fans at any given gig who really wanted to meet him even in early 2007, but it never occurred to most of them that if they just hung around the venue for awhile he would come out and speak to them.

As time has gone on more and more fans have come across communities like MFC and have learned that this goes on and have been educated in the ways you go about it. Now we're seeing this same culture of sharing "success" stories and planning tactics surrounding trying to catch him at times when he's not performing for fans.

It's easy to imagine he appreciates seeing that fans are so crazy to welcome him to their country that they can barely wait until he gets off a plane. I'm sure if it becomes a regular thing he will adapt and it will become a part of his job just like the after gig greetings.

But I just can't relate to wanting to impose on him in this manner. I think it's too much to be asking for autographs and photos and just generally taking up his time in a situation where you are not even paying for a concert. IMO he does far more than enough for fans as it is.

I can't even begin to write in one post what it is that has drawn and continues to draw me to Mika. I've basically been discussing it with others for 3 years and it would probably take me another 3 years to explain it again.

Many of my thoughts on the subject and the rationale for them are not fit for discussion on a public message board in any case. :teehee:

I feel the same. I think this and trying to meet him outside of radio and TV stations is, as Mouselle was discussing, taking an opportunity to try to catch him when there are less people about to maximize your chances of getting some of his time. But if it becomes standard practice among fans then it will quickly be guaranteed the same kind of mob scene you can expect after a gig anyway.

People always point to Mika's increasing popularity as the reason that access to him has become more restricted, but I think it has less to do with a change in his popularity and more to do with a change in the culture among hardcore fans that creates these situations. Mika probably had 200 fans at any given gig who really wanted to meet him even in early 2007, but it never occurred to most of them that if they just hung around the venue for awhile he would come out and speak to them.

As time has gone on more and more fans have come across communities like MFC and have learned that this goes on and have been educated in the ways you go about it. Now we're seeing this same culture of sharing "success" stories and planning tactics surrounding trying to catch him at times when he's not performing for fans.

It's easy to imagine he appreciates seeing that fans are so crazy to welcome him to their country that they can barely wait until he gets off a plane. I'm sure if it becomes a regular thing he will adapt and it will become a part of his job just like the after gig greetings.

But I just can't relate to wanting to impose on him in this manner. I think it's too much to be asking for autographs and photos and just generally taking up his time in a situation where you are not even paying for a concert. IMO he does far more than enough for fans as it is.

I agree. :original:

And I also think that the fact a fan, in this case you, is taking their time to write out polite ways to convienence Mika and oursselves is just incredible, and because of people, like you christine, Mika says his fans are "amazing and really cool." :huglove:

Oh...sorry, I read "how would you describe us?" and went with that. :bleh:

I would say the majority of us love his voice and his music...

but there is unfortunately probably some shallow fans that are just like "Oh I love him because he's hot." :no:

yeah indeed some are quite like that not me though, although i do find him quite hot that's not the main attraction for me!!!

Generally my sad observation is, that people seldom get rewarded for being nice.
I agree!

i love him for his creativity, his songs, their lyrics and their melodies, his looks happen to be a pleasant bonus and his artwork is amazing :original: he also doesn't commit to the typical stereotype everyone expects a celebrity to be...

if i think of anything else (my mind went suddenly blank...) then i'll add

#

yup I agrew with what you say same here!!!

Yeah! If mika created amazing music like he does, but was a total d*ckhead and was rude to people, I wouldn't join a fanclub...

Looove Michael buble's music.

Don't looove Michael buble. :naughty:

yes his personality IS very important (to me anyway) if he was an absolute tw*t I'd not buy his music that's for sure! I don't like horrible people

Oh gosh, yes, that was quite the drama too :lmfao:

I totally second that. I have also liked many bands or singers in my life, and I never actually signed up to a fanclub before this, and I would have never seen myself posting in a forum, never mind doing it for over 2 years :roftl:. In fact, no matter how much I like other artists post Mika, I haven't done that for them either.

IMO, the reason why Mika attracts all these loyal fans who travel the world to see him and feel this strong allegiance is explained by his incredible charisma, and the fact that he has this really strong and sweet personality that shines through. Everyone who has ever been a part of his entourage or worked with him has so many good things to say about him, and everyone who has met him if even very briefly, seems touched by his charm. He just posesses "something" and people fall under his net. As simple as that. Is it a cult??? :mf_lustslow:

he certainly does have charisma & charm indeed & that is very important to me!

for me personally this is how I got into Mika

I heard his song Grace Kelly found it annoying (don't ask why i still don't know to this day lol) heard love today thoguht it was o.k listened to it a bit on a compilation cd never bought it as a single though

heard a few other tracks over time on the radio thought they were o.k

mum liked his tunes too more she heard them

whenever i saw his album I had the famous ol' fight with my brain shall i buy it or shan't i? eventually over time i grew to like his music more,I went into asda (about late november early december 2007) saw his album thought shall i buy it shan't i? deliberated a bit then bought it

took it home mum was like oohh you got Mika's album cool

we looked at the artwork thought it was intriguing & quite cool

listened to the album loved the music

i booked to see him live (late december i boked for 28th feb in brixton) found the mfc while looking for info on him via google

joined here

found out he was a nice sweet chap is a bit different & quirky & quite the outsider like me

found we have a fair few things/opinions in common

thought he was quite cute

eventually got to see him live met him thought he was truly lovely & very sweet grew to fancy him quite a bit & there you go a brief summary of it all

don't know or care how you'd label me quite but Like Mika I don't care for labels!! lol:naughty:

I love his music it cheers me up when i'm depressed & helped me through my nervous breakdown i just found it almost impossible to not get up & dance no matter how depressed

I love his humour & personality I think he's sweet & funny & intelligent he certainly has charisma by the bucket load he's talented in loads of ways & to top it all off the extra added bonus

the "free gift" shall we call it

is he's freaking hot!!! lol

define me & categorise me if you will (I shan't I can't be bothered)

It is such a precarious situation to me in regards to the thought of meeting Mika. I would love a chance to meet him but at the same time it's a scary thoguht. I know from previous experiences with other bands I'm usually a bit reserved when there is a large crowd of people. I appreciate it when other fans are respectful as well. At this point all I want is the chance to go to a gig. The rest of it is just cranberry sauce. :wub2:

i have to say i totally agree with you:thumb_yello:

If i were at say the airport & Mika happened to be there then I may if he didn't seem tired or unhappy etc say hello & see how he responded but I sure wouldn't bug him far from it I understand people wanting to meet him but hunting him down isn't nice for him & must be tiring!

i personally just wait til after a gig & if I get somewhere then great if not such is life there'll always be another chance at another gig maybe?!?

I respect Mika & what he does for us his fans is amazing i think he does a marvellous job of things & would never want to intrude on his personal space!!!

if i see him while i'm out & about somewhere i'll never ever pounce on him at all!! If I said hello &/or smiled at him & he was happy to chat then fair enough but I wouldn't go over to him & bug him

just me personally!

I think I kinda fall into all the categories mouselle described. Although what intially had me drawn me to Mika was his music (dark lyrics with a happy tune) which kinda reflected so much about me. But as i learnt more about Mika and got drawn into the "Mika World" , I fell in love with his personality. I love the way he dresses , and the things he says and does. He's just so unique and different . Mika, to me, isnt just another artist , he's created a whole other world for people to belong to. And my experience with his fans (and I mentioned this to mouselle at the enmore gig) is that they are the most friendly and fun fans i've had the chance to hang out with. Which leads me to why I joined the MFC

I joined MFC for two main reasons despit the fact I generally dont like joining forums because I get caught up in them and loose my real life .The first reason is that i was encouraged by some other MFCers .While Mika was in Sydney I met so many great fans who were so down to earth and friendly that I couldnt find a reason not to join. Secondly , is that its a good place for everything Mika :)

As for the stuff about opportunities to meet Mika. Well ,last time he was in Aus I was only 14 , I didn't really get any opportunties. This time around :

1. I went to the Aust. Idol GF , 9hrs waiting and wasn't enough

2. Sunrise, a morning tv show. 5hrs waiting but he was so busy that day that we didnt get to meet him although I did meet mrs penniman which led to me BG opportunitu the next day

3. His show at the enmore where i got into a meet and greet and was a BG

I dont think there is anything wrong with waiting for him outside interviews .

We're not worthy! :bow:

Is it just me who automatically goes "Wayne's World" when I see that quote?

Ummmm, I think I fall into a few categories, but I've forgotten what they are right at this moment:naughty:

I just wanted to comment that I'm tickled you used a TISM song as the illustrating lyrics. I haven't heard this one (actually I haven't heard any of them, but my husband quotes stuff at me).

Just quoting you because it expresses my own thoughts in a far better way than I could put them, as usual :thumb_yello:.

i have to say i totally agree with you:thumb_yello:

If i were at say the airport & Mika happened to be there then I may if he didn't seem tired or unhappy etc say hello & see how he responded but I sure wouldn't bug him far from it I understand people wanting to meet him but hunting him down isn't nice for him & must be tiring!

i personally just wait til after a gig & if I get somewhere then great if not such is life there'll always be another chance at another gig maybe?!?

I respect Mika & what he does for us his fans is amazing i think he does a marvellous job of things & would never want to intrude on his personal space!!!

if i see him while i'm out & about somewhere i'll never ever pounce on him at all!! If I said hello &/or smiled at him & he was happy to chat then fair enough but I wouldn't go over to him & bug him

just me personally!

And I think that you have totally the right attitude there , the way I see it

I think Mika just simply deserves fans that genuinely love his music and like him for that and not his looks or something. He deserves fans who don't force themselves to listen to him but can listen to other artists and him at the same time, and still love him.

And he deserves fans who can relate to him and understand him, and who have a sense of humour.

From reading this thread, I can see that you're all like that, so i think he has what he deserves.

...i'm quite sure he enjoys seeing ppl beam at him because he wrote his name on a piece of paper. :bleh:

It must be quite a good, satisfactory feeling. At least I hope it is for him.

Really hope it's not only a necessary duty to cope with fans.

This is very true. Applies to me, at least. I never thought there was time and space for face to face encounters with fans on a gig night. In fact I didn't think about it at all, because I was not aware of it and because I actually didn't have the wish to meet him - before I read about it here.

I think it's too much to be asking for autographs and photos and just generally taking up his time in a situation where you are not even paying for a concert. IMO he does far more than enough for fans as it is.

Yes and yes. I guess it's not all black and white, though. I think he knows his onions by now. He knows the faces of those who he sees at each or at least every other gig and it's up to him to decide to encourage them to go for further interaction by asking for styrofoam balls to be painted - or just smile, nod and sit the situation through.

I'd say like bobspanky that I'd rather enjoy what's going on than analysing it! But one thing came back to my mind and I just had to add that Mika has kept his inner child alive and that's what I love about him!

bobskanky, get it right girl. :naughty:

I tell you one thing....

No matter what you peeps say or whatever you may think of me...

Whenever Mika comes to Lisbon I won't be stalking him, all over him, mobbing or pushing,,,

I won't even be waiting on the side...

I'll get a parachute and LAND RIGHT ON HIM!

:naughty:

Go Wonka!! :aah:

Oh yes, that was the sweetest thing.:wub2: And every time I think about it I believe it was because of the wonderful design of the T-shirt!

I hope it was the T-shirt :teehee:

He knew who you were since waaay before the T-shirt.

Remember that I gave him something from you in Doncaster, nov 2007, and when he saw your signature on it he looked straight up at me again and said: "Oh, I KNOW who she is!" He had quite an intense look on his face, like he perfectly knew :wub2:.

And then in Berlin this summer when he was a bit drunk (IMO) and all happy, and he just blurted out "aaaah ,the faaaaamous violet_sky!!" :roftl:. That was hilarious and just so cute. So, bottomline: he's known you for a VERY long time :teehee:.

I'd say like bobspanky that I'd rather enjoy what's going on than analysing it! But one thing came back to my mind and I just had to add that Mika has kept his inner child alive and that's what I love about him!

Sorry but this made me LOL so much that I had to mention it. Bobspanky? :lmfao:

I think Mika just simply deserves fans that genuinely love his music and like him for that and not his looks or something. He deserves fans who don't force themselves to listen to him but can listen to other artists and him at the same time, and still love him.

And he deserves fans who can relate to him and understand him, and who have a sense of humour.

From reading this thread, I can see that you're all like that, so i think he has what he deserves.

Oh what a sweet post. Something about that just touched me.

Archived