Mika on Weekend Wogan, BBC Radio 2

lollipop_monkey

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 years later...

Have you heard of the compilation album ?

https://www.femalefirst.co.uk/music/popmusic/album/Terry+Wogan+The+Collection-13830.html

Terry Wogan - The Collection

On 8 November 2010, Rhino UK will release a brand new album of songs chosen by one of the most enduring and loved broadcasters ever, Sir Terry Wogan. Entitled ‘The Collection’, this 40 track double CD is stunning reminder of the music and new talent played and discovered during the 16-year reign of ‘Wake Up To Wogan’ and currently on ‘Weekend Wogan’.

When Sir Terry Wogan stopped presenting ‘Wake Up To Wogan’ on BBC Radio 2 in December 2009, a nation mourned. It had been the most popular programme on British radio for many, many years. The wonderfully rich and diverse music that Terry used to play each morning (and indeed continues to play on his Weekend Wogan show), secured a place in the hearts of the nation and is celebrated here for the first time on one collection chosen by Sir Terry Wogan.

Terry Wogan ‘The Collection’ is a double CD that includes artists whose careers he played a huge part in like Katie Melua and Eve Cassidy plus glorious tunes by the likes of Michael Buble, Van Morrison, Carly Simon, Aretha Franklin and Frank Sinatra.

Sir Terry Wogan said, “Everyone of these songs has special meaning for me. They’re the songs that can always make me dance, sing-along, smile, reminisce, and cry… as on the radio, I hope you’ll feel the same, and share them with me.”

Terry was born in Limerick, Ireland and educated at the city's Crescent College. After leaving college Terry went into banking where his innate ability to separate half crowns from two bob bits soon marked him down for greater things.

Five years later he joined Radio Telefis Eireann (the Irish National Radio and TV Service) as a newsreader announcer. After two years of interviewing and presenting documentary features, Terry moved to light entertainment as a disc jockey and host of television quiz and variety shows. His first regular BBC Radio show was Midday Spin and, when Radio 1 started, he presented Late Night Extra for two years, flying over from Dublin every week.

In 1969, he stood in for Jimmy Young when he went on holiday and later that year, in October, Terry took over his own daily show on Radio 1 and 2. In April 1972 he took over the morning show on Radio 2. He presented this until 1984, shortly before his three times a week chat show, 'Wogan' began on BBC One. The programme ran for the next seven years.

His extensive television credits also include 'Song for Europe', 'The Eurovision Song Contest', 'Lunchtime with Wogan', 'Come Dancing', 'Celebrity Squares', 'New Faces' and 'Blankety Blank'.

He returned to Radio 2 in 1993 as host of 'Wake Up To Wogan' and presented the show until December 2009. In 2005 he was knighted. In 2010 he has begun presenting a live show called Weekend Wogan on BBC Radio 2, which is broadcast from the BBC Radio Theatre and features live music and big name guests.

Terry Wogan ‘The Collection’ is released on Rhino UK on 8 November 2010.

Full tracklisting
 Disc 1
 1.      Michael Buble  - Just Haven’t met you yet
 2.      David Gray – Babylon
 3.      James Morrison – You Give Me Something
 4.      Jason Mraz – I’m yours
 5.      Paolo Nutini – Coming up easy
 6.      James Blunt – High
 7.      Joshua Radin – I’d rather be with you
 8.      Rod Stewart – Have I Told You Lately
 9.      Damien Rice – Cannonball
 10.    Fleetwood Mac – Songbird