REPORTS / VIDEOS / PICTURES: Mika @ Le Dome, Marseille, France - 23 April 2010

Droopsy

She shouldn't sing using a microphone in the first place and it's not even an opera theatre with a quiet audience. :wink2: It's not supposed to be the best vocal performance of that aria, which is definitely difficult btw! :aah: But I quite liked the effect on the whole. Unexpected and entertaining! And her voice was great in my opinion, especially in Over My Shoulder and Blame It On The Girls.

oops- just read your comment.

I fully agree:thumb_yello:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oops- just read your comment.

I fully agree:thumb_yello:

I agree the sound is different from an Opera House, I agree "Queen of the Nidght" is one of more difficult soprano arias, but I go often to the opera, for many , many years, and believe me, Ida needs a looooot of study and promotion. The time will give or take the reason to me. Nevertheless, the idea of mixing opera and pop seems to me to be very interesting, and who knows? probably we see Ida, some day in a great theatre. I wish her the better.:thumb_yello:

I go often to the opera, for many , many years, and believe me, Ida needs a looooot of study and promotion.

I also often go to the opera and the last time I saw The Magic Flute was actually in Covent Garden (with a Finnish soprano as QN) but I don't think we can or should compare the two performances...

Based on the best YT video I have of this performance Ida sounds absolutely fine, considering it is a concert with around 10,000 people in a sports hall and her singing in a microphone and likely to be listening to the backing track with headphones. These are not exactly under 'operatic' circumstances.

So, I think Ida is doing a great job here but I was not there so I understand I cannot judge from a YT video. :dunno:

Also, this aria is for coloratura sopranos - and even within that a particular type -, so basically there are around 10- 15 opera singers in the world at most, who can sing this perfectly and once they are known for being able to do it, that is what they do for the rest of their life...

Ida might not be that voice type at all. Or she might be a lyric soprano or a lyric coloratura. So, in my mind, she does not need to sing this absolutely perfectly at a pop concert.

Nevertheless, the idea of mixing opera and pop seems to me to be very interesting, and who knows? probably we see Ida, some day in a great theatre. I wish her the better.:thumb_yello:

yes, Mika is already mixing classical and pop in his some of songs (and luckily not by means of samples but in the structure of the songs) and I hope he will continue this way as this is partly what makes him special.. :fangurl:

QUOTE=laura*;2947850]She shouldn't sing using a microphone in the first place and it's not even an opera theatre with a quiet audience. :wink2: It's not supposed to be the best vocal performance of that aria, which is definitely difficult btw! :aah: But I quite liked the effect on the whole. Unexpected and entertaining! And her voice was great in my opinion, especially in Over My Shoulder and Blame It On The Girls.

I agree the sound is different from an Opera House, I agree "Queen of the Nidght" is one of more difficult soprano arias, but I go often to the opera, for many , many years, and believe me, Ida needs a looooot of study and promotion. The time will give or take the reason to me. Nevertheless, the idea of mixing opera and pop seems to me to be very interesting, and who knows? probably we see Ida, some day in a great theatre. I wish her the better.:thumb_yello:

I also often go to the opera and the last time I saw The Magic Flute was actually in Covent Garden (with a Finnish soprano as QN) but I don't think we can or should compare the two performances...

Based on the best YT video I have of this performance Ida sounds absolutely fine, considering it is a concert with around 10,000 people in a sports hall and her singing in a microphone and likely to be listening to the backing track with headphones. These are not exactly under 'operatic' circumstances.

So, I think Ida is doing a great job here but I was not there so I understand I cannot judge from a YT video. :dunno:

Also, this aria is for coloratura sopranos - and even within that a particular type -, so basically there are around 10- 15 opera singers in the world at most, who can sing this perfectly and once they are known for being able to do it, that is what they do for the rest of their life...

Ida might not be that voice type at all. Or she might be a lyric soprano or a lyric coloratura. So, in my mind, she does not need to sing this absolutely perfectly at a pop concert.

yes, Mika is already mixing classical and pop in his some of songs (and luckily not by means of samples but in the structure of the songs) and I hope he will continue this way as this is partly what makes him special.. :fangurl:

Have you guys heard this one? It's something devine:wub2:

Edited by Shine

Have you guys heard this one? It's something devine:wub2:

Really? :blink:

I know nothing about opera, really: I've gone a fair few times throughout my life but I never really 'understood' much (even though I always really enjoyed the atmosphere, and the soothing effect that I find it has on me) so I can only go on instinct and give my amateur opinion, but to me this boy just sounds out of tune and screechy, I'm sorry :blush-anim-cl:.

Anyway, on the Ida debate, I haven't heard it live so I may change my mind when I do, but unless then, here is my opinion.

I think that the start, when Ida sings alone, sounds lovely. Of course the sound will be different to a proper opera, as she's singing in a room that doesn't have the right acoustics, and with a microphone, so taking all that into account, it's a great performance by her IMO.

Also, as many others have said, I love the addition of the classical musi mixed with the pop, and I just find that it gives the whole thing a fantastic new vibe. So yes, as an opening to GGG, I love Ida singing opera.

What I don't like at all though, is her singing the little 'opera like' bits during the song. She drowns Mika, and I find that it changes the whole feeling of the song too much, and makes it far less enjoyable in my opinion.

So, my verdict is: I love Ida, but only as an add-on. For backing vocals, I much prefer the usual subdued Imma ones, and leaving Mika to be the star of the song. I don't think that Mika and Ida's voices mix very well, if I am butally honest.

I know nothing about opera, really: I've gone a fair few times throughout my life but I never really 'understood' much (even though I always really enjoyed the atmosphere, and the soothing effect that I find it has on me) so I can only go on instinct and give my amateur opinion, but to me this boy just sounds out of tune and screechy, I'm sorry :blush-anim-cl:.

Anyway, on the Ida debate, I haven't heard it live so I may change my mind when I do, but unless then, here is my opinion.

I think that the start, when Ida sings alone, sounds lovely. Of course the sound will be different to a proper opera, as she's singing in a room that doesn't have the right acoustics, and with a microphone, so taking all that into account, it's a great performance by her IMO.

Also, as many others have said, I love the addition of the classical musi mixed with the pop, and I just find that it gives the whole thing a fantastic new vibe. So yes, as an opening to GGG, I love Ida singing opera.

What I don't like at all though, is her singing the little 'opera like' bits during the song. She drowns Mika, and I find that it changes the whole feeling of the song too much, and makes it far less enjoyable in my opinion.

So, my verdict is: I love Ida, but only as an add-on. For backing vocals, I much prefer the usual subdued Imma ones, and leaving Mika to be the star of the song. I don't think that Mika and Ida's voices mix very well, if I am butally honest.

Totally agree with you, the begining of the song is rigth, but then Ida is lost, and I think she must put more passion and intensity in her interpretation. The idea is great but they must perfect it, and I really like Mika does with an opera star, it would be incredible! And of course I also prefer Imma.

Totally agree with you, the begining of the song is rigth, but then Ida is lost, and I think she must put more passion and intensity in her interpretation. The idea is great but they must perfect it, and I really like Mika does with an opera star, it would be incredible! And of course I also prefer Imma.

I don't think that we're saying the same thing though :wink2:. I like Ida at the beginning, but I don't like the opera during the song at all.

It's not because I think that she's not doing it well (I actually think that she's singing it very well), but because I think that the type of operatic voice doesn't go well with this song, and also because Mika's voice is lost when she's singing. I think that there should only be opera at the start of the song, and then it should just be normal backing, with Imma.

No, we are thinking the same, only opera to the begining of the song , but even in the begining, she seems to me very ligth ( in spanish is said "sosa"), "Queen of the night" is a perverse woman, if you look at Mika he interprets that he is scared, and really, she doesn´t provoke fear. I have seen the video several times and every time I like it less, at least in Milan Imma saves de situation. In Madrid gig she seems to me adorable.

Have you guys heard this one?

Hmm...I have nothing against the boy but I really find it unnecessary for a small boy to sing a song that was written for a mature female voice. Even if he wasn't struggling with the technicaities, I don't think I would enjoy it as this performance makes no sense. :dunno: At most I find it 'interesting'.:teehee:

I can imagine this little boy's performance at a talent show, for example, but I would still be one of the few in the audience still underwhelmed..:naughty:

Here is a guy singing the same aria at Hungary's Got Talent -. with nice sand animation in the background:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpeN_BETc7Q&feature=PlayList&p=B29D07208C507328&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=19

I have the similar opinion on this, although technically he is quite ok.

so, my point is that there are many beautiful works that were written for sopranos even or mainly boys are supposed to sing - here is an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbXbsxDPQ0&feature=related

...and sorry for being :ot:

oh i totally love GGG with Ida interacting with mika and backing him during the song :naughty:

i cannot give an exaustive analisys of this, i simply love the new vibe that's coming from the live song...:wub2:

sara, waiting for you after you hear it live, ok? :wink2:

Wonderfull gig!!!

thank you Lilibet for managing the queue (and thanks John, our hero:naughty:) It was very nice:thumb_yello:

Here are my own pics::teehee:

mars411.jpg[/img]

mars1610.jpg

mars1110.jpg

mars1510.jpg

mars1410.jpg

mars1710.jpg

mars1810.jpg

mars510.jpg

mars710.jpg

oh i totally love GGG with Ida interacting with mika and backing him during the song :naughty:

i cannot give an exaustive analisys of this, i simply love the new vibe that's coming from the live song...:wub2:

sara, waiting for you after you hear it live, ok? :wink2:

I shall let you know on Saturday :naughty:

i love this one :wub2:

Me too! :wub2:

And this one:

mars210.jpg

I would so love to see Ida performing this -- I'm sure the youtube vids

don't do it justice!

I agree with your opinion on Ida participation with Mika in this song. Also think that they voices don't mix that good like it was case with Freddy and Monserat in "Barcelona":wub2: At the Hamburg and Berlin gigs Imma gave perfectly background vocal following in OMS and especially in HE, much better than Ida IMO. I heard it with my own ears, and judging on Ida singing listening only to the video isn't a great thing:dunno:

I don't think that we're saying the same thing though :wink2:. I like Ida at the beginning, but I don't like the opera during the song at all.

It's not because I think that she's not doing it well (I actually think that she's singing it very well), but because I think that the type of operatic voice doesn't go well with this song, and also because Mika's voice is lost when she's singing. I think that there should only be opera at the start of the song, and then it should just be normal backing, with Imma.

She has quite different singing style, coulour of voice etc. I've heard a couple of great opera female singers with some pop or rock bands and singers and didn't fit at all with them though.:aah:

Hmm...I have nothing against the boy but I really find it unnecessary for a small boy to sing a song that was written for a mature female voice. Even if he wasn't struggling with the technicaities, I don't think I would enjoy it as this performance makes no sense. :dunno: At most I find it 'interesting'.:teehee:

I can imagine this little boy's performance at a talent show, for example, but I would still be one of the few in the audience still underwhelmed..:naughty:

Here is a guy singing the same aria at Hungary's Got Talent -. with nice sand animation in the background:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpeN_BETc7Q&feature=PlayList&p=B29D07208C507328&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=19

I have the similar opinion on this, although technically he is quite ok.

so, my point is that there are many beautiful works that were written for sopranos even or mainly boys are supposed to sing - here is an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbXbsxDPQ0&feature=related

...and sorry for being :ot:

My point was just to prove that this soprano boy from a German Boy Quire

has a great vocal potential especially now, in his early inmature age (only 12) like Mika was singing in Pilgrim opera. I agree that this aria is not written for male voice but for colorature soprano which Ida obviosly isn't as you posted before.

But in this theatrical Wagnerian pop/opera concept it fits and affects audience in a magical way.:wink2: