La Solitude, Barbara

macboll

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loneliness (in this song, Loneliness is considered as a female character)

I found her on my doorstep

It was the evening, I was coming back home.

She accompanies me everywhere

She is back, she is there,

The sniffer of dead love stories.

She followed me step by step.

The devil take the bitch!

She is back, she is there.

With her dismal face,

With the dark shadows under her wide eyes,

She makes our hearts lag behind

She makes our hearts lament

She makes our hands turn pale

And our long nights desolate.

The bitch! She could even bring winter back in the height of summer.

Your dreary silk dress

And your tousled hair

Give you a desperate look,

You're not beautiful to look at.

So go away to show

Your sad bored face anywhere else

I haven't got a taste for sorrow

Now clear out and leave me in peace.

I want to swing my hips again

I want spring to go to my head

I want sleepless nights,

With a pounding heart.

Before my time comes

And till my last breath

I want to say 'I love you' again

And long to die for love

She said:'Open your door for me.

I followed you step by step

I know that love is dead.

I'm back, here I am!

They told you poems,

Your handsome men, your beautiful children,

who pretended to be like Rimbaud or Verlaine

Well, it's all over now'.

Since then I've been having sleepless nights.

Her arms around my neck,

Curled up around my legs,

She accompanies me everywhere

And she follows me step by step.

she waits for me on my doorstep

She is back, she is there,

Loneliness, loneliness...

thanx a lot! :flowers2:

Thanks for the video Fanny!Pour moi Fanny, c'est "elle est revenue, la voilà la dépression post concert", tout comme toi!

it' just a mp3:blush-anim-cl:

pour ma depression , écouter Barbara ne va rien arrangé:blink:

Oh lovely! Thanks for posting the lyrics and the translation. :wub2:

I'm not sure I understand this bit however:

"They told you poems,

who pretended to be like Rimbaud or Verlaine"

I'm not sure I get the Rimbaud/Verlaine reference. It sounds like Lonliness is speaking of men who pretended to be like those two as though they're some sort of romantic ideal to aspire to - but didn't their tryst end badly in an alcohol soaked fued that involved one of them getting shot in the wrist? :blink:

I'm glad Mika's opening my eyes to this world of Francophone music that I didn't pay enough attention to before. :blush-anim-cl:

Oh lovely! Thanks for posting the lyrics and the translation. :wub2:

I'm not sure I understand this bit however:

"They told you poems,

who pretended to be like Rimbaud or Verlaine"

I'm not sure I get the Rimbaud/Verlaine reference. It sounds like Lonliness is speaking of men who pretended to be like those two as though they're some sort of romantic ideal to aspire to - but didn't their tryst end badly in an alcohol soaked fued that involved one of them getting shot in the wrist? :blink:

I'm glad Mika's opening my eyes to this world of Francophone music that I didn't pay enough attention to before. :blush-anim-cl:

Rimbaud and Verlaine were lovers, the latter shooting the first and going to jail...They had a very messy love affair and it was a scandal by then coz Verlaine was married and left his wife and child for Rimbaud, who was HAWT...:mf_rosetinted::naughty::thumb_yello:

I'm having a BB deja-vu or wot??? :naughty:

Verlaine and Rimbaud are famous French poets indeed. I don't think the lyrics refer to their lives, or their love story but only to lovers (unsincere or less talented than Rimbaud or Verlaine) who recited poems.

Verlaine and Rimbaud are famous French poets indeed. I don't think the lyrics refer to their lives, or their love story but only to lovers (unsincere or less talented than Rimbaud or Verlaine) who recited poems.

I see, that makes more sense. Thank you! :flowers2:

I see, that makes more sense. Thank you! :flowers2:

I mentioned it because i thought there was a direct relationship with this song and Symbolism as they were both symbolists...

For instance, the main symbolic imagery is resumed to evocation, and the song is a good example of what to evoke means...

Maybe i'm wrong and french mfcrs could explain better...

I mentioned it because i thought there was a direct relationship with this song and Symbolism as they were both symbolists...

For instance, the main symbolic imagery is resumed to evocation, and the song is a good example of what to evoke means...

Mika fans are so smart:shocked:

Sorry Wonka, somehow I missed your last post up there. ^^

Hmm... you've given me lots to think about too. There's so many layers to all this, it's just fascinating. :blush-anim-cl:

Mika fans are so smart:shocked:

Are you stalking me from thread to thread, Missy???:mf_rosetinted:

Sorry Wonka, somehow I missed your last post up there. ^^

Hmm... you've given me lots to think about too. There's so many layers to all this, it's just fascinating. :blush-anim-cl:

Or maybe it's me seeing things where they don't exist, Mana...:teehee:

Are you stalking me from thread to thread, Missy???:mf_rosetinted:

No:mf_rosetinted: i just happen to click on whatever thread willywonka posted on... thats not stalking:mf_rosetinted:

@macboll Thank you so much for the translation :flowers2:

I'm not sure I get the Rimbaud/Verlaine reference. It sounds like Loneliness is speaking of men who pretended to be like those two as though they're some sort of romantic ideal to aspire to

Based on the English translation I thought these two French poets were mentioned because of the decadent lifestyle / attitude they had and that is the romantic ideal the poet / singer aspires to.

Taking it one step further, because the words go "I long to die for love" - this person might be / wants to be in a really passionate, kind of "can't live with or without you" relationship.

I just posted a message in the Frenchspeaking thread asking people to read this song and give us their interpretations of it.

Lollipopmonkey, Suzie and WillyWonka, thanks for your comments! :wink2:

I my opinion, the line that refers to Verlaine and Rimbaud means that her lovers wrote or recited poems to her, but they were not as talented, sincere or passionate as Verlaine or Rimbaud, they were pale imitators.

I just posted a message in the Frenchspeaking thread asking people to read this song and give us their interpretations of it.

Thank you, that is a good idea. Let us know if there is any new reading of it.

I my opinion, the line that refers to Verlaine and Rimbaud means that her lovers wrote or recited poems to her, but they were not as talented, sincere or passionate as Verlaine or Rimbaud, they were pale imitators.

I like your interpretation. My understanding is similar, except that I don't take the 'reciting poems' line literally. I think it might refer to the story teller being lonely because they ended a relationship that was not passionate enough. So they long to be in love again but they want it to be burning love, not a lukewarm one.

This is absolutely great. I remember when I posted about the Chevalier medal, we were quite a few to think, but what does Mika really do about French culture? Then I thought a bit more about it and was personally convinced he was contributing to promoting French/Francophone culture very much, and I now have evidence! :biggrin2:

I'm glad he covered La Solitude during his gigs, and I can't wait to hear what he's working on in French (it is being mentioned all the time here in France that he's working with Doriand, the singer who wrote the lyrics for Grace Kelly in French)

i've never heard of Rimbaud or Verlaine... so i guess i'll just quietly follow your discussion and enjoy the beautiful melody of the song. :naughty:

I can't talk about all the details either, but at least I can now understand the whole song, without a proper translation all sentences just didn't make any sense. Thank you so much macboll :thumb_yello:

It's so sad, but so beautiful, I really love it and I'm so happy Mika is singing it :wub2:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think this has been posted yet, but Mika's support act, La patère rose, have been posting little video blogs from each of the venues that they sung at on tour supporting Mika...this is their last one (i think), and there's footage at the end of Mika singing 'La Solidude' with the girl from La patère rose (sorry don't know her name! :blush-anim-cl:)

I don't think this has been posted yet, but Mika's support act, La patère rose, have been posting little video blogs from each of the venues that they sung at on tour supporting Mika...this is their last one (i think), and there's footage at the end of Mika singing 'La Solidude' with the girl from La patère rose (sorry don't know her name! :blush-anim-cl:)

Thanks for posting!

It's from the gig in Liévin on May 4, my first one :wub2:

Her name is Fanny :wink2:

Archived