Daily Star: Kick Ass review

I just found it funny because you said you wanted a video that had a story to it but then said you wanted him to do more videos like GK, LT and Relax, which appear to have no real story to them at all :teehee: Just seemed a bit contradictory :naughty: I'm not attacking you, though! I love Grace Kelly purely because of his performance. I think it's one of my favourite Mika Music Videos.

As for Rain...well, Mika has run away to get away from the problem, and the weird dancers symbolise the madness inside his head. He tries to run away from the problem only to realise at the end, when they've all stopped running and he stands there breathless, with the weird dancers right behind him as the camera tracks backwards away from them...he sees the way out but...doesn't go for it...bit of a cliffhanger IMO, but other people have different interpretations.

As for V-Logs, I'd just like to say that the video where he first showcases the new music it's the video with the most views.

That's it exactly! People absolutely loved the vlogs where he played us bits of the songs and showed us how they were put together for the album. He could do more vlogs like that, showing the technical side, or even just vlogs where he tells us a bit about what he is doing next. The fans, and potential fans, would love that.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's true Marylin. But don't you think that his non die-hard fans only wanted to grab their chance to prove their opinion about him and his music? I mean he really didn't reach Top 40, but it happened to many famous artists too before Mika and recently. The contemporary pop music seems much more main tream as GaGa did with her last singles which I don't like so much, but Mika didn't give up from his concept cos he's and artist with his own (non) comercial vision.

couldn´t be more agree.

in spain "rain" and "biotg" reached top 40....

I think the reason why Lady Gaga can pull off being weird and freakish, because she's a woman, and that means that she is considered fashionable and cool. Mika is a dude...it's not cool for a dude to be like Mika, they must be strong muscular men. That's why Mika is too strange to be accepted. Unless he reveals he's actually a she:mf_rosetinted:

I think the reason why Lady Gaga can pull off being weird and freakish, because she's a woman, and that means that she is considered fashionable and cool. Mika is a dude...it's not cool for a dude to be like Mika, they must be strong muscular men. That's why Mika is too strange to be accepted. Unless he reveals he's actually a she:mf_rosetinted:

Yes, then everybody would have to love her and buy her music, or be shot as a fascist

couldn´t be more agree.

in spain "rain" and "biotg" reached top 40....

In Serbia he was in top 40 with all 4 singles so far.:teehee:

True Ingie, the "weird" female artistic image is much more desirable model than male, but what about Bill Kaulitz, Adam Lambert and some other dudes who are not the examples of Alpha Male singers but they huge fan base?:aah: Even here in my country, regardless about the opinion/speculation on their sexual orientation. Think that's more important the kind of music they perform (pop/rock or mainstream) than their "oddness".:wink2:

True Ingie, the "weird" female artistic image is much more desirable model than male, but what about Bill Kaulitz, Adam Lambert and some other dudes who are not the examples of Alpha Male singers but they huge fan base?:aah: Even here in my country, regardless about the opinion/speculation on their sexual orientation. Think that's more important the kind of music they perform (pop/rock or mainstream) than their "oddness".:wink2:

You forget that Bill is leadsinger of a band followed by emo girls and Adam is openly gay. Mika is not = not a lot of support from the gay community.

You forget that Bill is leadsinger of a band followed by emo girls and Adam is openly gay. Mika is not = not a lot of support from the gay community.

Well, good observation, but Adam Lambert is accepted in my country by the straight population as well (due to his lovely voice they say) wich bugs me a lot. TH loves only EMO girls, it's true. As for Mika - actually he lost a bit support from the gay community (in my country he's accepted as a gay icon), for the all kinds of women as well (except for these who likes macho rock frontmen) and for some sensitive straight guys of all generation.

Well, good observation, but Adam Lambert is accepted in my country by the straight population as well (due to his lovely voice they say) wich bugs me a lot. TH loves only EMO girls, it's true. As for Mika - actually he lost a bit support from the gay community (in my country he's accepted as a gay icon), for the all kinds of women as well (except for these who likes macho rock frontmen) and for some sensitive straight guys of all generation.

When you say straight population, I assume it will be mainly women. But it's true yes, Adam makes more mainstream music than Mika. And I'm not saying ALL gays don't like him, because that's not true. And yeah there are straight guys who like Mika, but the 'openly' straight male Mika fans can be counted on one hand, so to speak. When I was still in school, wearing a Mika shirt, especially the guys would yell "MIKA IS FOR GAYS!" at me. So they might like him when nobody is watching them, but not in public. Apparently it's not cool. They have no idea what they are missing.

When you say straight population, I assume it will be mainly women. But it's true yes, Adam makes more mainstream music than Mika. And I'm not saying ALL gays don't like him, because that's not true. And yeah there are straight guys who like Mika, but the 'openly' straight male Mika fans can be counted on one hand, so to speak. When I was still in school, wearing a Mika shirt, especially the guys would yell "MIKA IS FOR GAYS!" at me. So they might like him when nobody is watching them, but not in public. Apparently it's not cool. They have no idea what they are missing.

The amount of men that go to his gigs as well! Gay, straight or bi...doesn't matter...Mika appeals to men too...in more than one way :naughty: But guys still like him...

The amount of men that go to his gigs as well! Gay, straight or bi...doesn't matter...Mika appeals to men too...in more than one way :naughty: But guys still like him...

At his gigs yeah...but how many straight dudes have you seen in RL admitting they like him?:roftl:

At his gigs yeah...but how many straight dudes have you seen in RL admitting they like him?:roftl:

Out of all the guys I know, about 2 people have admitted to liking him: My dad, and some other guy :naughty:

Well, I actually don' think that we should worry about people who reject Mika because he is assumed to be gay and / or has not 'come out' officially. I don't think Mika needs fans like that.

Moreover, his looks shouldn't have anything to do with the success he achieves as a musician, so I think he should set his curls the way he pleases and wear the type of clothes he loves best without worrying about potential album buyers.

:cool:

Well, I actually don' think that we should worry about people who reject Mika because he is assumed to be gay and / or has not 'come out' officially. I don't think Mika needs fans like that.

Moreover, his looks shouldn't have anything to do with the success he achieves as a musician, so I think he should set his curls the way he pleases and wear the type of clothes he loves best without worrying about potential album buyers.

No-one has suggested otherwise.

But as we've been kind of putting ourselves into the shoes of Mika's promo guys for the last few days in this thread, discussing how influential such factors are is very appropriate IMO

- If the British love his self deprecating humour and Europe doesn't get it, that says something about where to push hardest to get him onto serious talk shows (like the Terry Wogan interview in the UK).

- If suggesting that, if he must be labelled, people should call him bisexual is going to lose a lot of gay record buyers, then he'd have done better to say so to a music mag.

- If Mika's one song TV slots are putting people off in some countries and attracting people in others- that tells you something about where to push to get them (I was impressed at the places they got him to do Rain in the UK in the run up to Christmas, but they turned a few neutrals that I know into antis)

Besides, in the making of KA vid, he says that after reading the comic he emerges at the top "hopefully looking better than before" and giggles cutely- if his stlying and choreography was "this is me, stuff it if you don't like it" he was sending out mixed messages- which isn't good promo

Out of all the guys I know, about 2 people have admitted to liking him: My dad, and some other guy :naughty:

That's not a whole lot is it?:naughty:

We shouldn't, but unfortunately, it is the case. I'm not saying he should throw his whole private life on the streets, but this is a factor of what's going on.

His looks shouldn't have anything to do with it, yet it does. Look at Gaga. If she wore clothes like you and me do on an ordinary day, her impact wouldn't be half as big as it is now. Just Mika, don't do the leather pants!

Many straight guys like Adam's looks as well (body building or something:naughty:). Unlike to Mika which is not so accepted as a sex symbol, even by the girls who love him. Not by all of course, thanks god.:wub2: It's and interesting question though.

I know that my hubby thinks he's very cute and natural guy apart from his singing. And yes, there were many problems for the quite rare girls here who wear Mikaish outfit like my Keti and everyone thinks she's a kind of weirdo, especially EMO girls.:aah:

Many straight guys like Adam's looks as well (body building or something:naughty:). Unlike to Mika which is not so accepted as a sex symbol, even by the girls who love him. Not by all of course, thanks god.:wub2: It's and interesting question though.

I know that my hubby thinks he's very cute and natural guy apart from his singing. And yes, there were many problems for the quite rare girls here who wear Mikaish outfit like my Keti and everyone thinks she's a kind of weirdo, especially EMO girls.:aah:

Yes- I know a lot of people who feel like that about him- including most men who've heard him interviewed

Are you related to Keti?

True, but the point is that a lot of people simply don't like his music.

And that's the main topic after all IMO. His clothes, even voice or sexuality are not so important but the type of hyper pop or cabaret mellodies which is not so appriciated by the wide population.

But he doesn't have to suck up to this kind of population. Maybe he'll change something some day for comertial reasons, maybe not,but there's till space for musical maturity and advance IMO.

Yes- I know a lot of people who feel like that about him- including most men who've heard him interviewed

Are you related to Keti?

Actually I'm her mum and our generation have accepted Mika immediately cos we recognized the Old Brit pop heritage in his music. So we were completely blown away.:wub2:

We shouldn't, but unfortunately, it is the case. I'm not saying he should throw his whole private life on the streets, but this is a factor of what's going on.

His looks shouldn't have anything to do with it, yet it does. Look at Gaga. If she wore clothes like you and me do on an ordinary day, her impact wouldn't be half as big as it is now.

yes, I know...and agree. I just wanted to note that I as a fan, do not expect him to change his ways in those 2 aspects in order to sell more albums. Most of us don't, anyway. So that's why I am not giving 'advice' on clothes, looks and the hadling of private life questions. There are other, more important factors that would need to be sorted first to help him become a household name without making a compromise on his personality

Actually I'm her mum and our generation have accepted Mika immediately cos we recognized the Old Brit pop heritage in his music. So we were completely blown away.:wub2:

Same here- in my case, I remember the 70s and glam rock and so could never call mika weird and androgenous- though occasionally he reminds me of the nice young men who were in the charts when I were a lass!

Wow, such a rubbish review. I really like his song and it really makes me think a lot when I hear it. He has such a beautiful sound coming from his mouth and the lyrics are amazing, so I do not know why they are writing so rubbish words on this review!

True, but the point is that a lot of people simply don't like his music. .

yes, however, I'd say that a lot of people don't like his music because they might have been exposed to 1 or 2 songs from him only and do not realise that he has a much wider repertoire. and that is why the choice of singles and getting the promotion of the album right is so important.

Wow, such a rubbish review. I really like his song and it really makes me think a lot when I hear it. He has such a beautiful sound coming from his mouth and the lyrics are amazing, so I do not know why they are writing so rubbish words on this review!

don't worry, we have seen worse :wink2:

:welcomeani: to MFC :biggrin2:

yes, however, I'd say that a lot of people don't like his music because they might have been exposed to 1 or 2 songs from him only and do not realise that he has a much wider repertoire.

I don't know about that. I think Mika got it right with the Marmite analogy and the only thing that will help people acquire a taste for music that they never particularly cared for, is to see him live.

yes, I know...and agree. I just wanted to note that I as a fan, do not expect him to change his ways in those 2 aspects in order to sell more albums. Most of us don't, anyway. So that's why I am not giving 'advice' on clothes, looks and the hadling of private life questions. There are other, more important factors that would need to be sorted first to help him become a household name without making a compromise on his personality

But he's not going to become a household name if these things are not taken into consideration. If you want to say "he doesn't need fans like that anyway" or that he should be selling strictly on the merits of his music then we are just going to go around in circles about this forever because that's not the reality of music consumption today. Is Justin Bieber a household name based on the merits of his music? Clearly not. Even GaGa and Amy Winehouse who have exceptional musical talents, did not become household names on that basis.

If fans are committed to this line of reasoning then there's no point in moaning that his product is not selling as well as it could. We just have to accept that it's not appealing to certain markets (in the same way that it IS appealing to the French market, for example) and leave it at that.

I don't think that changing some of these things necessitates Mika compromising his personality because the image he projects now is already an artifice. We've all seen Mika walking around just being himself. He doesn't overcurl his hair or wear too tight clothes, etc. This is his professional look and he has changed it over the years using professional stylists as well as his own tastes. So far it appeals to certain markets and it puts off people in other markets.

I am all for Mika doing whatever he wants, but no promotion in the world is going to force people to like it and identify with it.

That's the thing...Mika's not the cool kinda guy Adam is, lookwise. Adam's got this rock n roll thing going on, Mika this whole cabaretish, theatrical thing. And don't get me wrong, I adore that in Mika, it's one of the reasons why I love him, but to be in all the cool lists, it won't help him

I agree with you, I as a fan wouldn't want him to change for the world. But just us 2 buying the album so to speak, won't build his career.

I couldn't care less what he does in his private life, who he is with, what kind of breakfast he had today, but in order to become a household name, he WILL have to be more open about certain things as people other than us, his 'hardcore' fanbase, need to be able to RELATE to him.

I don't know about that. I think Mika got it right with the Marmite analogy and the only thing that will help people acquire a taste for music that they never particularly cared for, is to see him live.

But he's not going to become a household name if these things are not taken into consideration. If you want to say "he doesn't need fans like that anyway" or that he should be selling strictly on the merits of his music then we are just going to go around in circles about this forever because that's not the reality of music consumption today. Is Justin Bieber a household name based on the merits of his music? Clearly not. Even GaGa and Amy Winehouse who have exceptional musical talents, did not become household names on that basis.

If fans are committed to this line of reasoning then there's no point in moaning that his product is not selling as well as it could. We just have to accept that it's not appealing to certain markets (in the same way that it IS appealing to the French market, for example) and leave it at that.

I don't think that changing some of these things necessitates Mika compromising his personality because the image he projects now is already an artifice. We've all seen Mika walking around just being himself. He doesn't overcurl his hair or wear too tight clothes, etc. This is his professional look and he has changed it over the years using professional stylists as well as his own tastes. So far it appeals to certain markets and it puts off people in other markets.

I am all for Mika doing whatever he wants, but no promotion in the world is going to force people to like it and identify with it.

I second that:thumb_yello:

Archived