Daily Star: Kick Ass review

Just a small review from the Daily Star:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/134072/Review-Mika-Kiss-Ass/

MIKA'S kooky cartoonish appeal could only carry him so far.

After the teeth-grating We Are Golden, his subsequent two singles – Rain and Blame It On The Girls – both failed to make the Top 40.

Career needing a serious kick up the ass, the curly-haired crooner has hooked up with GaGa’s super-powered mate RedOne for this one-off single to promote the flick of the same name.

The result? It gently kicks some butt.

Why are people so mean about his music? Sheesh.

I'm not sure if this belongs in it's own thread or if it should be somewhere else -- feel free to move it!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said in a post on another thread: Journalists really need to learn to do their homework. You can't just go around claiming somebody's career is in the toilet when they're playing to sold out concerts and have a massive fan base. Honestly.

No, it doesn't.

mikasounds Thank you so much to everyone who came to see us on this tour. Over 230,000 tickets in two months.

But despite the sucess of his tour, the problem is that this review is how he'll be perceived by people who arn't his die-hard fans. The reviewer is a moron, but it's true that Mika's singles after WAG haven't made the top 40. This is why the kick-up-the-ass which is needed, is for Mika's promotion team who have let him down big time!

Just a small review from the Daily Star:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/134072/Review-Mika-Kiss-Ass/

MIKA'S kooky cartoonish appeal could only carry him so far.

After the teeth-grating We Are Golden, his subsequent two singles – Rain and Blame It On The Girls – both failed to make the Top 40.

Career needing a serious kick up the ass, the curly-haired crooner has hooked up with GaGa’s super-powered mate RedOne for this one-off single to promote the flick of the same name.

The result? It gently kicks some butt.

Why are people so mean about his music? Sheesh.

I'm not sure if this belongs in it's own thread or if it should be somewhere else -- feel free to move it!

Whole the Sportpaleis in Antwerp staying and singing along to Kick Ass is more than gently kicking ass. :mf_rosetinted:

But despite the sucess of his tour, the problem is that this review is how he'll be perceived by people who arn't his die-hard fans. The reviewer is a moron, but it's true that Mika's singles after WAG haven't made the top 40. This is why the kick-up-the-ass which is needed, is for Mika's promotion team who have let him down big time!

That's true Marylin. But don't you think that his non die-hard fans only wanted to grab their chance to prove their opinion about him and his music? I mean he really didn't reach Top 40, but it happened to many famous artists too before Mika and recently. The contemporary pop music seems much more main tream as GaGa did with her last singles which I don't like so much, but Mika didn't give up from his concept cos he's and artist with his own (non) comercial vision.

pffft pity we cant move it to the dustbin along with who wrote it :sneaky2:

:lmfao:Good one

You are right; I think that the promotion that has been done for his second album has sucked at the best of times; They haven't timed things properly, or publicised them, or given it the type of exposure that one would expect. I don't understand the 'strategy' that his recording company (or whoever is responsible for promotion) have followed, but to me it looks more like a lack of strategy, to be honest.

Having said all that, and as much as I want Mika to be super successful, it has to be entioned that, if you have a look at the charts, most of the top40 songs at the moment are (IMHO, of course :naughty:) UTTER RUBBISH, so perhaps it's actually a good sign that he's not in it.

It looks like the majority of people are incapable of appreciating good quality music, so if this is the case, he will never be massively popular, and we should actually be happy about his fact.

:lmfao:Good one

You are right; I think that the promotion that has been done for his second album has sucked at the best of times; They haven't timed things properly, or publicised them, or given it the type of exposure that one would expect. I don't understand the 'strategy' that his recording company (or whoever is responsible for promotion) have followed, but to me it looks more like a lack of strategy, to be honest.

Having said all that, and as much as I want Mika to be super successful, it has to be entioned that, if you have a look at the charts, most of the top40 songs at the moment are (IMHO, of course :naughty:) UTTER RUBBISH, so perhaps it's actually a good sign that he's not in it.

It looks like the majority of people are incapable of appreciating good quality music, so if this is the case, he will never be massively popular, and we should actually be happy about his fact.

I agree :biggrin2: I never expected him to be too successful here in Romania, because even if he was, the majority of people would listen to him just because "oh Rain's so kewl". also lyrics don't seem to be important anymore, I hear classmates and other people babbling something along the songs they like cause they're too lazy to look the lyrics up :blink:

I don't know, but to me it's more important that he plays sold-out shows even in big venues, and that he is wanted, than how well he does in the charts.

I know y'all are sayin' some of Mika's songs made it to the Top 40 in your country, but it didn't make it in the UK. In Mika's home country. Where he should be successful.

Home country matters, y'know? In my opinion, at least. Some may disagree.

I know y'all are sayin' some of Mika's songs made it to the Top 40 in your country, but it didn't make it in the UK. In Mika's home country. Where he should be successful.

Home country matters, y'know? In my opinion, at least. Some may disagree.

He was in the top 40 in France. That's also his home country kind of.

Sara, I am in violent agreement with you, and have been saying this for

a while as well in various threads. I know I don't work in the "industry" but

the way this whole album has been handled has baffled me. :blink:

That said, I think I posted this review, or one quite similar to it, several

days ago -- can't find it, so I'm not sure if it's a different one. If it is,

it's a shame that TWO different people had the same assessment. :insane:

Kick-Ass should've kicked ass in the charts. I don't know why it didn't. :sneaky2:

He was in the top 40 in France. That's also his home country kind of.

Was his home country. He might have some attachment to it but he doesn't live there. And I'm sure being successful in France is really pleasing for him don't get me wrong (and of course other countries too) but IMO if I was some famous musician and considered some sort of joke in my own home country I'd be incredibly upset. Not saying the UK think he's a joke, but there's a lot of negative criticism towards him sometimes. And I know he gets that everywhere, but it seems to be more in the UK than other places.

Sara, I am in violent agreement with you, and have been saying this for

a while as well in various threads. I know I don't work in the "industry" but

the way this whole album has been handled has baffled me. :blink:

That said, I think I posted this review, or one quite similar to it, several

days ago -- can't find it, so I'm not sure if it's a different one. If it is,

it's a shame that TWO different people had the same assessment. :insane:

Kick-Ass should've kicked ass in the charts. I don't know why it didn't. :sneaky2:

Becausetherewasaseverelackofpromotiondammit! :aah:

Catch 22 situation. Promotion peeps need hitting. Hard. :aah:

Honestly, I think we could actually do better :roftl::teehee:

Was his home country. He might have some attachment to it but he doesn't live there. And I'm sure being successful in France is really pleasing for him don't get me wrong (and of course other countries too) but IMO if I was some famous musician and considered some sort of joke in my own home country I'd be incredibly upset. Not saying the UK think he's a joke, but there's a lot of negative criticism towards him sometimes. And I know he gets that everywhere, but it seems to be more in the UK than other places.

I could be wrong, so don't kill me or anything... but I think it's a British thing. I get the feeling that the 'style' of journalism there is a more negative one.

I think that it also depends on the country... because "Fake it" by Seether (a South African band) was very popular here and it was popular everywhere and then we didn't hear about them in the charts again... and they (like Mika) probably released singles that we didn't hear about. I hope that made sense. :blink:

I do agree that he needed more promotion for TBWKTM... he just kinda drifted away. I'm not even sure how I knew he had another album coming out!!

Freddie Mercury got the same in the UK didn't he? And he's now considered a legend...

I could be wrong, so don't kill me or anything... but I think it's a British thing. I get the feeling that the 'style' of journalism there is a more negative one.

I think that it also depends on the country... because "Fake it" by Seether (a South African band) was very popular here and it was popular everywhere and then we didn't hear about them in the charts again... and they (like Mika) probably released singles that we didn't hear about. I hope that made sense. :blink:

I do agree that he needed more promotion for TBWKTM... he just kinda drifted away. I'm not even sure how I knew he had another album coming out!!

It's the type of Journalism that tries to make them look aristocratic, upper class and snobby because they're sneering at someone, if that makes sense. Sometimes I wonder if critics actually enjoy liking things these days :aah:

Archived