Eurovision 2010

suzie

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes, I noticed she is all over the internet, she gets a lot of support from her home country, which is great:thumb_yello: I wonder whether it is because you all genuinely feel that Germany finally has a song with a good chance to win or something changed in the selection process locally that makes you confident that she has a good chance.... I am not sure if you understand what I mean...

But whatever the case, I think it is clear that it is a great song, I am simply not sure if it is the right platform for it.

Let me join Lena's online promo by posting the performance with special guest Alexander Rybak (from your tweet yesterday) :teehee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cip_DpA62uQ

I know what you mean, of course it's possible that people can't see what a great song it is. I rarely like the winners. For example that Serbian song, I hated it :aah:

Let me join Lena's online promo by posting the performance with special guest Alexander Rybak (from your tweet yesterday) :teehee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cip_DpA62uQ

Oh what a pair of cuties! :naughty: I haven't seen/heard her before, and even though that's more reciting than singing :teehee: I like her, I like her pronunciation and song itself, it's very contagious! :thumb_yello: She sort of remind me of Kate Nash.

I know what you mean, of course it's possible that people can't see what a great song it is. I rarely like the winners.

I think it is because the audience of the competition is completely different from the general record buying public in many countries. The most important difference is the age-group, I guess.

If I had to think of which performance my mum would choose she likes best, I'd probably say.... Russia or any of the big sounding ballads like the Georgian enty .....etc. Most definitely not my choices, but I do understand why she'd vote for these.

On the other hand, it is interesting to see which performances get the most votes after just one listening - since most people only get exposed to these songs on the night of the final only. So I wouldn't miss the experience.

Funnily enough, I didn't watch Eurovision at all when I was in my twenties as I found it ridiculous but now as I get older I find pleasure in it ...:naughty:

Oh, I love the German song!!!!! I'm sure it's going to win!! She is very sweet :wub2:

Oh what a pair of cuties! :naughty: I haven't seen/heard her before, and even though that's more reciting than singing :teehee: I like her, I like her pronunciation and song itself, it's very contagious! :thumb_yello: She sort of remind me of Kate Nash.

Great to hear not only German people like her song :thumb_yello:

I actually really like her performance with Alexander. The two of them seem to get along quite well, he's been somewhere around her all the time these days and they have been joking about being married just earlier on a tv show :roftl:

Verdana, I agree with what you say about her sounding a bit like Kate Nash. She actually did 2 Kate Nash songs on the German pre-selection show. And she was also asked about Lily Allen and Kate Nash at today's press conference.

I think it is because the audience of the competition is completely different from the general record buying public in many countries. The most important difference is the age-group, I guess.

If I had to think of which performance my mum would choose she likes best, I'd probably say.... Russia or any of the big sounding ballads like the Georgian enty .....etc. Most definitely not my choices, but I do understand why she'd vote for these.

On the other hand, it is interesting to see which performances get the most votes after just one listening - since most people only get exposed to these songs on the night of the final only. So I wouldn't miss the experience.

Funnily enough, I didn't watch Eurovision at all when I was in my twenties as I found it ridiculous but now as I get older I find pleasure in it ...:naughty:

I'm still positive that she will make it in the top10. :wink2:

Her song has just entered the Swedish itunes top 10 and I've seen Norwegian polls where she came second after the Norwegian entry....So I guess she can count on Scandinavia, maybe some other Western European countries. We'll have to wait how Eastern European countries will like her song. And also, as I said in a previous post, the national juries will rather give their points to the ballads or singers with a big voice I think.

As for the other points you mentioned, I belive you're right. Older viewers will probably rather vote for a strog ballad than for a rock or very pop song.

And I also think you're right that many people only hear the songs ONCE - that is tomorrow night. So it is also everything about first impressions and the "catchyness" of a song.

Can't wait for the show to begin actually. It's one of my favourite events of the year.

I'm officially addicted to Lena's song :naughty:

love oh love :band:

cos I oh I... :groovy:

haven't learned all lyrics yet:roftl:

@mariposa I think you can count on catchyness with "Satellite", I consider myself completely average consumer, and as I said, I heard it for the first time tonight and I can't get it out of my head :naughty: Hope she'll do well, she and Belgium are my favorites! :thumb_yello: And of course my country's entry, that goes without saying I guess :teehee:Or not :blink: for example I loathed and felt embarrassed of our song last year :aah:

Can't wait for the show to begin actually. It's one of my favourite events of the year.

Me too :biggrin2: More or less I'm looking forward for end of may the whole year. With a little peak in march with the preliminary decision and increasing excitement as nearer the final day comes :blush-anim-cl:

This ESC will be a very good one. There are a lot of very good songs in it. Mostly a handful of songs from every ESC became "Really like them"-songs for me - and this year I have the feeling, that it will be three handful :naughty:

The songs this year are very "tight", too, I think. There aren't this big quality-differences between them. So it's very hard to predict, which song will do well and which one not. I predict that the UK will be the last place. But who will be the winner? I not even have a notion :roftl:

As we are very international here, I have a question, which I had for a long time:

It's because every year boulevard-newspapers and sadly a lot of people, too, are saying "The eastern countries are giving the points among themselves and nobody like Germany so we are that bad". And every year I'm argumenting against this opion, because I think it's not right, or let's say, it has only a little importance.

But you must admit, that sometimes neighborcountries are giving each other more points and big countries like Germany or France don't get points.

But personally I think it's more musical than political.

As speaking for Germany, we are, musically, very "self-centered". We don't know, what happens in our neighbarcountries like Poland, Czech Republik, France, The Netherlands (pratically the only foreign music comes from USA or UK)... And I don't think our neighbors know what music is played in Germany.

And I think for example the Balkan states or the Baltic countries are "musically nearer". Directly in knowing songs and artists, but also in musical taste.

And if you know something, you will vote more likely for that.

Well, and after the long talking, finally my question to users from this regions: Do you know what happens musically in your neighbor countries? And do you know the ESC-participants from your neighbor countries?

@Lena

yes, I noticed she is all over the internet, she gets a lot of support from her home country, which is great I wonder whether it is because you all genuinely feel that Germany finally has a song with a good chance to win or something changed in the selection process locally that makes you confident that she has a good chance.... I am not sure if you understand what I mean...

In the German casting show a lot of people "fell in love" with her. So many people like her very much as a person and a artist (Well, to say she is very polarising, is more true, there are a lot of Lena haters, too).

She gets a lot of support as a person, and as she will be competing at the ESC, she gets a lot of support as a participant. The ESC-support is more of a "side-effect". Hope it's understandable what I want to say.

My personal opinion: Lena is great, but I think she has the wrong song. First of all you have to hear "Satellite" three times to like it. And as mariposa said, at the ESC the first impression is most important. But most of all it's a song, were the "Lena magic" can't develop so much. When I saw her the first time at the German casting I directly got the feeling "this girl has something very special and very great". And a lot of other Germans got this feeling the first time they saw her, too. And with "Satellite", it's more the "okay" than "special"-feeling. Watch this in comparison. (Sorry, if this is a little bit offtopic :aah:)

Me too :biggrin2: More or less I'm looking forward for end of may the whole year. With a little peak in march with the preliminary decision and increasing excitement as nearer the final day comes :blush-anim-cl:

:groupwave: Only a few more hours!!! (about 18,5 to be precise :wink2:)

I can't seem to make a proper prediction of who is gonna win this thing in the end. But I am almost sure that the winner won't have such a huge advantag over his/her/their followers like Alexander did last year. Might be a tight competition...

@Lena

In the German casting show a lot of people "fell in love" with her. So many people like her very much as a person and a artist (Well, to say she is very polarising, is more true, there are a lot of Lena haters, too).

Also very true. There are also a lot of people who don't like her at all, but I think atm the overall Lena-barometer is trending pro-Lena. Let's see how that will change after tomorrow night...

Watch this in comparison. (Sorry, if this is a little bit offtopic :aah:)

That was definitely her best performance of the whole show (along with "Mr. curiosity"). Being a fan of Adele myself I was 1.) really happy that someone picked one of her songs and 2.) impressed by the way Lena performed it.

I think that was the performance when she won everyone over. Even today, I still prefer that live version to the recorded version on Lena's album.

Well, I'm not trying to influence MFC to vote for Lena, she'll get her fair share of votes - but if you wanna learn more about her and listen to some of the songs she did on the preselction show you should have a look at this page http://www.vote-for-lena.eu/uk/. It's information on Lena in almost every European language.

My personal favourite, however, still is Tom Dice (Belgium). I really hope that he will end up at least in the top 5. Voting for him for sure.

My favorit is Russia. I like the self-irony. And I have a penchant for "undulatory" melodies...

Second-favorits: Spain, Belgium, Ukraine, France, Israel, Romania.

It somebody want's to play:

Top 10:

Aserbaijan, Georgia, Armenia, Romania, Greek, Serbia, Russia, Turkey, Ireland, Bosnia & Herzegovina

With Number one Aserbaija, Georgia or Armenia

Yes, there is some kind of charm in this competiton, despite of the fact that many songs are either boring or just bad. I like analyzing them and reading/listening other people analyzing them :naughty: But there are always a couple of songs I like too :thumb_yello:

I'm still positive that she will make it in the top10. :wink2:

Her song has just entered the Swedish itunes top 10 and I've seen Norwegian polls where she came second after the Norwegian entry....So I guess she can count on Scandinavia, maybe some other Western European countries. We'll have to wait how Eastern European countries will like her song. And also, as I said in a previous post, the national juries will rather give their points to the ballads or singers with a big voice I think.

As for the other points you mentioned, I belive you're right. Older viewers will probably rather vote for a strog ballad than for a rock or very pop song.

And I also think you're right that many people only hear the songs ONCE - that is tomorrow night. So it is also everything about first impressions and the "catchyness" of a song.

I need to go to a wedding party tonight. I'm not sure how long it takes and if I can see the whole competition. I don't want to miss the excitement :roftl:

She gets a lot of support as a person, and as she will be competing at the ESC, she gets a lot of support as a participant. The ESC-support is more of a "side-effect". Hope it's understandable what I want to say.

My personal opinion: Lena is great, but I think she has the wrong song. First of all you have to hear "Satellite" three times to like it. And as mariposa said, at the ESC the first impression is most important. But most of all it's a song, were the "Lena magic" can't develop so much. When I saw her the first time at the German casting I directly got the feeling "this girl has something very special and very great". And a lot of other Germans got this feeling the first time they saw her, too. And with "Satellite", it's more the "okay" than "special"-feeling. Watch this in comparison. (Sorry, if this is a little bit offtopic :aah:)

Actually, I heard it once and was very addicted to it. Maybe even too addicted, it was in my head the whole evening :aah: And I think Lena is really cute but I do like the song :thumb_yello:

The tv commentator said it during the competition - though not sure if it was the year she won or when she she performed the year after ...

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it in my argument when saying that she was definitely a young hot lady (it was suggested in a post earlier that only young hot guys and girls can win Eurovision...) ...

I hope I did not offend anyone's feelings. My impression of her is that she is a really cool woman though my knowledge is very limited on this and I have not heard of her after the ESC in Serbia in 2008 . It is really irrelevant who she is going out with, I am sorry for bringing this up..

No problem at all, I was just curious, but I've never heard in my entire life that Maria was a hot young lady.:roftl:

I know what you mean, of course it's possible that people can't see what a great song it is. I rarely like the winners. For example that Serbian song, I hated it :aah:

The same here with the Finish song. Better to forget it.:naughty:

My favorite entries this year were French, Germany, Denmark not bad, Belgium, Cyprus and Turkey. Ukrainish singer is great but I won't bet on her at all. Lithuania had also a very catchy song but they didn't make it like the Estonian:dunno:

Okay, I'll list my favorite entries from this year (no order):

Estonia, Lithuania, Romania, Spain, Greece, Russia and Cyprus. I kinda like Azerbaijan but I thought her rehearsal was better than the actual performance in the semi, so I'll see how she does tonight.

I personally would like Romania to win. I guess I like them the most so far.

I'm not fond of ballads in general, but if I have to pick one, it will be between Israel or Belgium.

Normally I would like France, since that's the kind of music I love to party with :aah: But it just reminds me too much of Magic System, and they're better :naughty:

Worst: Slovenia, no doubt. I don't like Armenia either...

Okay, and then my guess for top ten (again, no order):

Armenia, Ukraine, Ireland, Germany, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Iceland, Israel, Romania (perhaps Georgia instead of Germany)

No problem at all, I was just curious, but I've never heard in my entire life that Maria was a hot young lady.:roftl:

The same here with the Finish song. Better to forget it.:naughty:

My favorite entries this year were French, Germany, Denmark not bad, Belgium, Cyprus and Turkey. Ukrainish singer is great but I won't bet on her at all. Lithuania had also a very catchy song but they didn't make it like the Estonian:dunno:

Oh, I hate that Finnish song too! Actually, can't remember any Finnish Eurovision songs I have liked... There must be a couple of nice ones but I really can't remember them now :blink: I'm sorry if you found my comment impolite.

Oh, I hate that Finnish song too! Actually, can't remember any Finnish Eurovision songs I have liked... There must be a couple of nice ones but I really can't remember them now :blink: I'm sorry if you found my comment impolite.

No, cos we were not in the position to choose proper songs for our countries:thumb_yello:

Lordi :punk:

(I really liked them)

Ok, so here's my prediction for the top 10 (in no particular order):

Azerbaijan, Armenia, Greece, Belgium, Germany, Turkey, Iceland, Israel, Denmark, Ireland

some of these countries might be replaced by Georgia, Moldova, Russia, Norway and Serbia though.

Not easy to predict this year's top10.

No, cos we were not in the position to choose proper songs for our countries:thumb_yello:

I don't think Goran Bregovic needs to be defended about this song but let me just say that I appreciate Serbia's effort much more than countries who simply hired professional foreign songwriters from abroad to write them a Eurovision friendly song. 20% of the songs in the final are by Swedish songwriters and Sweden is not even in the final...:aah:

I always prefer one's effort vs hiring a professional to the job for them or stealing the elements from other songs. And that's why I appreciate the Russian song this year, too.

I got really angry yesterday when someone from Serbia was commenting on Milan's video on Youtube, feeling ashamed that people might think Serbians look and act like Milan...etc...making a typical homophobic and racist comments (on gypsies) and trying to position themselves as 'highbrow'. But who in their right mind would think that Ukrainians dress like UFOs and talk nonsense (the way Vera did in 2007)? Eurovision is not about high culture at all. It is about winning over the viewers quickly, whether that be with the song, the voice, the performace or the combination of the three. Often including some references to your traditions are rewarded, so why shouldn't have Serbia played that card?

:thumb_yello:

And also, as I said in a previous post, the national juries will rather give their points to the ballads or singers with a big voice I think..

:doh: previously I completely forgot about the national juries, but last night I finally read the rules. I actually think that because of the jury the German and

Belgian entries have a better chance to get into the Top 10 and they will, I think.

The decisions of the national juries will also be country / culture specific, though. I guess you are right with the 'ballad' type as their preference, plus I would add the kind of "gloriness" in the song they might be looking for, as a typical Eurovision type, like the songs of Denmark, Iceland and Azerbaijan. In fact, I think Denmark's entry is the ultimate Eurovision winning song - shame parts of it are so obviously stolen.:naughty:

The songs this year are very "tight", too, I think. There aren't this big quality-differences between them. So it's very hard to predict, which song will do well and which one not.

yes, I also believe that it will be a tight competition this year.

I posted my prediction based on the videos after just one listen immediately, but the more I listen to the songs, the less sure I am about the outcome. Plus the performace on the night also counts and I haven't seen the live performance of 5 countries.

As we are very international here, I have a question, which I had for a long time:

It's because every year boulevard-newspapers and sadly a lot of people, too, are saying "The eastern countries are giving the points among themselves and nobody like Germany so we are that bad". And every year I'm argumenting against this opion, because I think it's not right, or let's say, it has only a little importance. But you must admit, that sometimes neighborcountries are giving each other more points and big countries like Germany or France don't get points.

But personally I think it's more musical than political.

As speaking for Germany, we are, musically, very "self-centered". We don't know, what happens in our neighbarcountries like Poland, Czech Republik, France, The Netherlands (pratically the only foreign music comes from USA or UK)... And I don't think our neighbors know what music is played in Germany.

And I think for example the Balkan states or the Baltic countries are "musically nearer". Directly in knowing songs and artists, but also in musical taste.

And if you know something, you will vote more likely for that.

I think you are absolutely right about this. I really hate when some countries (particularly the UK) start talking about "political voting" as soon as their last place is announced (:naughty:). "Geo-political", yes, as in many countries the top3 will be the countries some of the minorities and political or economical migrants are from. It should be no surprise for anyone that in Bosnia most votes will go to Serbia, Latvia will love the Russian entry, whilst in Germany and UK it is likely to be the Turkish song they will like the best.

It is nationalities living abroad voting for their fellow countrymen, and not some malicious Eastern Europeans voting for their friends. It did happen in the old days, though , when it was only a jury voting, that neighbours were favoured due to 'polite voting'.

In terms of the music, you are right about the countries' musical taste having been shaped by neighbours but this year I can only think of Serbia, Russia and Greece as the ones whose songs contain some ethnic elements, all the rest are typical European pop songs - some following a more traditional song structure whilst others (eg. Lena and Ukraine) being slightly more modern.

My personal opinion: Lena is great, but I think she has the wrong song. First of all you have to hear "Satellite" three times to like it. :)

ok, so it wasn't only me...I didn't like the song first, either..:teehee:..

...and thanks for the explanation, I understand Germany made an effort to select the best singer for Eurovision, and you all feel she is your choice.

and a great choice - thanks for posting this

I posted my prediction based on the videos after just one listen immediately, but the more I listen to the songs, the less sure I am about the outcome. Plus the performace on the night also counts and I haven't seen the live performance of 5 countries.

And you have to consider that the juries made their dicision already the last night. So they are evaluating mostly the song itself, not the whole performance. And I take for granted, that they had listened to the songs more times. So it's not only the "first impression", "growing" songs have a chance, too.

I can't wait for tonight :boing: It's gonna be cool!! The 2nd semifinal was brilliant, there were maybe only about 3-4 songs out of 17 that I didn't like. My favs are Ukraine, France, Turkey, Cyprus and Israel. :thumb_yello:

Greece was so much fun :roftl: and the Iceland lady has a great voice... I didn't like The Netherlands, Finland... Most of the songs from the first semi-final really :dunno: And Milan Stankovic is up for Serbia, I don't like the song but he's a great star here and was certainly noticed in Oslo. I hope he does his best tonight and gets a high place:thumb_yello:

dpda4p.jpg

I don't think Goran Bregovic needs to be defended about this song but let me just say that I appreciate Serbia's effort much more than countries who simply hired professional foreign songwriters from abroad to write them a Eurovision friendly song. 20% of the songs in the final are by Swedish songwriters and Sweden is not even in the final...:aah:

I always prefer one's effort vs hiring a professional to the job for them or stealing the elements from other songs. And that's why I appreciate the Russian song this year, too.

I got really angry yesterday when someone from Serbia was commenting on Milan's video on Youtube, feeling ashamed that people might think Serbians look and act like Milan...etc...making a typical homophobic and racist comments (on gypsies) and trying to position themselves as 'highbrow'. But who in their right mind would think that Ukrainians dress like UFOs and talk nonsense (the way Vera did in 2007)? Eurovision is not about high culture at all. It is about winning over the viewers quickly, whether that be with the song, the voice, the performace or the combination of the three. Often including some references to your traditions are rewarded, so why shouldn't have Serbia played that card?

I personally don't really like Bregovic but he's a good songwriter and there are many people out there who are crazy about him. He became a huge star in Former Yugoslavia firstly with his band Bijelo Dugme (White Button if you prefer), and later in the whole Eastern and Southern Europe. He had a tour in the last year on the West, and most of the gigs were sold out. People simply love the music he makes, because they think it's different and original, modern, but also keeps the spirit of the Ex-Yu people at the same time. Plus, he's a looker, and many women fall for him because of his looks :naughty:

About homophobic comments, yes, that's very 'usual' here in Serbia. I'm from the generation of young people who either love Milan and style he's got or loathe it. I had been in the 2nd category for quite a long time, but then I watched an interview with him and realised he's actually a pretty smart guy, not drawn by success, rather mature and down-to-earth, and a fellow perfectionist, like Mika is e.g. And now I don't have anything against him. I think he's quite okay actually. Despite the fact that I simply don't listen to the kind of music he sings.

But many people think he's gay, just like they thought for Marija Serifovic back in 2007, but they're both straight. Milan has been awarded by a Serbian Gay Community, because he's very popular among them with his metrosexual flamboyant image, and he's announced that he's very proud of it. Marija had been a little bit secretive about her private life, but then she said she's straight and there had been some pictures of her and her boyfriends in the press, but she also said that she didn't have anything against hooking up with women; that she's openminded and that she's what she is, whether people like it or not. I personally love her, she's got an amazing voice and her song "Molitva" was definitely the best out there back in 07 Eurovision.

Oh and just thought I'd add, what Marko Kon did with his song "Cipela" last year on Eurovision was disgusting. I was glad he hadn't made it to the final:thumbdown:

And you have to consider that the juries made their dicision already the last night. So they are evaluating mostly the song itself, not the whole performance. And I take for granted, that they had listened to the songs more times. So it's not only the "first impression", "growing" songs have a chance, too.

:blink: really?

I realise I am so unfamiliar with these rules...

So the jury bases their decisions on the video they received and not on the live performance...hmmm... that changes my prediction on the top 10 slightly, which I will post later.

I love this game - I am happy many of you posted their expected top 10 already.

maybe i wanna consider watching Spain too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wriq8D7GsTk

:shocked::naughty:

I wonder if the jury received some of these pictures, too:das:

Archived