We Are Golden vs. We Are Golden (Acoustic)

I love both versions, but I prefer the original WAG to the acoustic, just because it's more fun, the energy level is way higher. Also, I love, love, love the choir part, it's like a huge bolt of lightning. I think it gives the song a lot of power.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original would have been better if it was sharper, more defined.. if the choir was louder. but it did turn out pretty good :thumb_yello:

The acoustic is cool, but it doesn't have that massive, empowering, infectious 'WE ARE GOLDEN' feel that makes you feel like you could dance on top of the world. WAG acoustic sounds beautiful, but the lyrics of independence and standing up for yourself don't mesh with the quieter beat.. it doesn't even relaly have a beat.

I like the shouting. It gives the song its soul :wub2: OK, i freely admit I wasn't originally a WAG fan but the shouting is like its Mikas Army of Beautiful Freaks, as he put it :cheerful_h4h:

You have to admit, WE ARE NOT WHAT YOU THINK WE ARE, WE ARE GOLDEN! screamed with passion has way more impact then mika crooning

'we are not what you think we are...'

.. that just sounds like some kind of demented lullaby.

..Did that make sense? :lol3:

The original would have been better if it was sharper, more defined.. if the choir was louder. but it did turn out pretty good :thumb_yello:

The acoustic is cool, but it doesn't have that massive, empowering, infectious 'WE ARE GOLDEN' feel that makes you feel like you could dance on top of the world. WAG acoustic sounds beautiful, but the lyrics of independence and standing up for yourself don't mesh with the quieter beat.. it doesn't even relaly have a beat.

I like the shouting. It gives the song its soul :wub2: OK, i freely admit I wasn't originally a WAG fan but the shouting is like its Mikas Army of Beautiful Freaks, as he put it :cheerful_h4h:

You have to admit, WE ARE NOT WHAT YOU THINK WE ARE, WE ARE GOLDEN! screamed with passion has way more impact then mika crooning

'we are not what you think we are...'

.. that just sounds like some kind of demented lullaby.

..Did that make sense? :lol3:

And seeing you lot yelling it out was awesome!

I love both. :biggrin2:

The album version is great because it translates very well live so that the whole audience gets to shout. The acoustic version is great because it's stripped down and really pretty.

I think there are really three different versions: the album version, the "normal" live version he does at gigs, and then the stripped-back acoustic version.

And, I love all three. The album version is just perfection. The acoustic version focuses more on his pretty voice than all the other stuff going on. And the live gig version is just an ear-gasm. :wub2:

I love the one with the choir. It empowers it.

wow..I havent been on the MFC in a long time...I really miss it!!! But yes, I totally agree with you, I love the one with the Choir, but I think the other version is nice too!

I love both. :biggrin2:

The album version is great because it translates very well live so that the whole audience gets to shout. The acoustic version is great because it's stripped down and really pretty.

That's how I see it, too. I love both versions - if you've ever seen WAG live on a Mika gig, you know how powerful it is; the whole audience shouts and jumps. (And Mika sometimes strips :naughty:) But "at home" I prefer the acoustic version right now...probably because it feels more raw and "pure".

I like both versions, but the acoustic one a little more. I think that's because a heard WAG so much when I was doing the WAG competition, so I had a little enough of that version.

I love the intro of WAG at gigs.

Both but... When I heard the acoustic version for the first time I become obsessed with it. I was listening to it and wasn't able to stop. Now I'm so glad that Mika does it at the gigs. I wont him to go on singing WAG with this intro.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but actually the "WE ARE NOT WHAT YOU THINK WE ARE WAG", the screaming that is, is voiced by Mika's sisters.. and brother. I figured they were just random kids until I looked in the discography.

U can see Audry in one of his vlogs screaming, I think 38 vlog

I didn't like WAG at all to begin with. I thought it was an age thing. But I have to say that it has grown on me and I love it now. I do like both versions but I particularly like the live performances.:mf_lustslow:

To me, the two versions sound the same except for one important difference: The Acoustic version only has Mika's background vocals, while the album version has a choir (of children? teenagers?) singing background vocals. :original:

I think the choir arrangement is a liiiiiittle too much. At the end of the song, where they sing "ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh", I think it sounds like a Michael Jackson-arrangement. :puke:

So I definitely prefer the Acoustic version. I just wanna hear Mika. Mika is all I wanna hear. :biggrin2:

Which version do YOU prefer? :confused:

you dont like michael jackson ?! :shocked:

hmm... i like both :biggrin2:

the non acoustic version is better to dance to :naughty:

I know what Christine means when she says she only really likes the recorded album version.

I wouldn't say I don't like WAG live but there are two things which do grate on me about it. Firstly, the piano intro on the acoustic version sounds too much like Walking In Memphis.:naughty: Secondly, I really rather hate it when he goes, 'we are go-waaaoooouuuld' (and does that high screamy thing). You know the bit I mean :teehee:. It totally spoils it for me.

Overall, the recorded version is pretty great, though I agree with Freddie too about the Andrae Crouch choir. It ought to have been much more prominent in the mix.

The acoustic version is my favorite :wub2: But on the other hand, I always love his acoustic versions more.

And I really, really love the beginning of WAG at gigs :swoon:

Me too! That's the only reason why I recorded WAG in Amsterdam, so I can listen to the intro over and over again :teehee:.

We are all getting old ...... just different levels

:thumb_yello:

When I first heard WAG I was like :shocked:

but now I just adore it and it's amazing for singing along full force...and I LOVE it at gigs. When everyone chants 'we are not what you think we are, we are golden!' (chilling!!!)

But I also absolutely love acoustic WAG. it has more feeling to it, softer, ... dunno.... Don't really prefer one to the other, it depends on my mood mainly.

I think both versions are great. I'd actually love to hear We Are Golden and We Are Young together as one song. In my head it wounds great. The chant of We Are Golden, put together with the chorus of KA (WAY) and I think the verses would fit together too.

Archived