Interview in Dutch newspaper

Monie

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. Raatgever is not being very original in his statements: he used the 'king of kitsch' before: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=587670

(while searching for Stefan Raatgever+Mika, I also found this: http://www.funx.nl/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=140&func=view&id=86909&catid=14

It's an article about a dutch singer, but Mika is also mentioned!)

MIKA KNOWS EXACTELY WHAT HE WANTS

Biggest Dutch popfestival Pinkpop starts this afternoon in the town of Landgraaf.

The 41st edition has a strong line-up with stars like Pink, John Mayer and king of kitsch Mika. Popjournalist Stefan Raatgever spoke to the latter about his life on tour. And he mentions five not-to-mis performances at PP.

Wearing a light english raincoat, windforce 8-resistant hairdo and shoes which would be very suitable for a clownsact in a circus. Mika has arrived.

Somewhat dazed he stumbles into his Amsterdam dressingroom.

He is more then 1 and a half hour too late for his interviewappointement. But with an excuse: he got lost at the canals and wasn't able to catch a taxi because of his broken cellphone and only 10 euro's in cash.

Wondering through cities

It hardly sounds diva-like behaviour: wandering around a city by yourself and getting lost. That would not happen to, let's say, Madonna.

"I always do it, where ever I am." Mika says while eating a platefull of cocquilles. "Yes, always. That way you will get to meet people. My band travels per bus, I always go ahead by taxi. In a tourbus I lose my life to the routine of performing and travelling. This way I get the time to get to know cities. I love to come to Amsterdam. Have my favourite restaurant Tempo Doeloe and stores where I buy all my closets and tables or exclusive tapisseries.

This is a regurlar day in Mika's, who made 'tight-pants-singing' and inflatable-rabbits and dancers with huge postures fashionable again, tourlife .

Probably also on Sunday when he starts his Summerfestival-series at Pinkpop.

For the Limburg traders in kitschy barok furniture or inflatable animals probably a nice forecast.

On request the singer of songs like Relax and We Are Golden, we talk through his other road-routines He reveals he always visits a local supermarket in every town. "There you can really see a good example of the population. Very educative. And yes: I always buy stuff. My manager is disgusted when I come back with knackebrod, baguette or haring!

In the old days I always adapted to the regurlar tour routine. Made me sad. But now I go on the road alone. Is good for my welbeing and thus for my shows. And it is much healtier then drinking in the tourbus. "

But his sunny mood is not the only part of Mika's health-program while traveling. He brings, he tells us between some giggles, his own cooks. "I eat saltless, no butter and less as possible milk etc. And ofcourse not too much fat." Fanatic? "Not too much . I love restaurant dinners! The only thing I spend a lot of money on while being on tour. On a day off I always eat at one of the best restaurant in town."

Panic attack

Doesn't he need to be sweating at the gym to be able to hold on for a gig of more then 2 hours? "No, one concert is enough practice. The month previous to my tour are rather heavy. I do a daily anaerobic training for an hour I learn not to use too much oxigen on stage. That practice is so hard that I have to throw up.

His travelling company also houses his mother and 2 of his 3 sisters. But don't suspect nice chaperones with Mika (a charming, but incomprehensible personality). They are not here just as company. "I don't have a regular mother-son relation with my ma. She creates the costumes for my show. I see her as a collegue, just as my sisters who are good a stage designing and coming up with props.

It sound less warm then expected from the British-Lebanese singer with the teddybear image. But who will comfort him when he gets a panick attack just before showtime? Sure it is his family??

"Absolutely not! My bandmembers, we always support each other!"

How does such a nervous breakdown occur? Mika fidgets on the sofa uneasily. "Because something goes wrong, In such a situation I have to take the lead." But how does he behave before that succeeds?

Mika, famous for his abjection to talk about personal issues, relationships and his supposed homosexuality, thinks it's time for another subject. "I am not gonna tell you. My life should not become a reallife soap."

Preventing the latter is one of his few burdons from his popstardom. "Being recognized doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the urge of people to judge me for more than my music, my personnal life or my salesfigures. Look at the discussion about my second album. Almost 2 million copies sold, that is 1/3 of his predecessor. Disappointing, people say. But I think the salesfigure is gigantic. Certainly for a dark cd on which there is a song about two boy dolls who fall in love with each other. That is why I don't listen much to others. I know my way, know where I want to go in my carreer and in my life."

And where is that? Mika giggles and is at ease again, behind a safe wall of mystery. "That is for you to find out!"

Mika, Sunday 18.15

3FM-Stage

Thanks Anneke. :thumb_yello: I was working on the translation myself, if you don't mind, I have some suggestions.

MIKA KNOWS EXACTELY WHAT HE WANTS

Biggest Dutch popfestival Pinkpop starts this afternoon in the town of Landgraaf.

The 41st edition has a strong line-up with stars like Pink, John Mayer and king of kitsch Mika. Popjournalist Stefan Raatgever spoke with the latter about his life on tour. And he mentions five not-to-mis performances at PP.

Wearing a light english coat, windforce 8-resistant haircut and shoes which would be very suitable for a clownsact in a circus. Mika has arrived.

Somewhat dazed he stumbles into his Amsterdam dressingroom.

He is more then 1 and a half hour to late for his interviewappointement. But with an excuse: he got lost at the canals and wasn't able to catch a taxi because of his broken cellphone and only 10 euro's in cash.

Wondering through cities

It sounds hardly diva-like behaviour: wandering around a city by yourself and getting lost. That would not happen to, let's say, Madonna.

"I always do it, whereever I am." Mika says while eating a platefull of cocquilles. "Yes, always. That way you will get to meet people. My band travels per bus, I always go ahead by taxi. In a tourbus I loose my life to the cadans (rythme?) routine of performing and travelling. This way I get the time to get to know cities. I love to come to Amsterdam. Have my favourite restaurant Tempo Doeloe and stores where I buy all my closets and tables or exclusive tapisseries.

This is a regurlar day in Mika's, who made 'tight-pants-singing and 'blow-ip inflatable-rabbits' and dancers with huge postures hip fashionable again, tourlife .

Probably also on Sunday when he starts his Summerfestival-series at Pinkpop.

For the Limburg traders in kitschy barok furniture or blowing-up inflatable animals probably a nice forecast.

On request the singer of songs like Relax and We Are Golden, talks through his

other road-routines He reveals he always visits a local supermarket in every town. "There you can really see the 'cut-throug' (I made this word up, sorry if it doesn't excist...) hard to translate :teehee: an example? of the population. Very educative informative. And yes: I always buy stuff. My manager is disgusted when I come back with knackebrod, baguette or haring!

In the old days I always adapted to the regurlar tourrythme routine. Made me sad. But now I go on the road alone. Is good for my welbeing and thus for my shows. And it is much healtier then drinking in the tourbus. "

But his sunny mood is not the only part of Mika's health-program while traveling. He brings, he tells us between some giggles, his own cooks. "I eat saltless, no butter and less as possible milk etc. And ofcourse not too much fat." Fanatic? "Not too much . I love restaurantsdinners! The only thing I spend a lot of money on while being on tour. On a day off I always eat at one of the best restaurant in town."

Panic attack

Doesn't he need to be sweating at fitness gym to be able to hold on for a gig of more then 2 hours? "No, one a concert is enough practice. The month previous to my tour are rather heavy. I do a daily anaerobic training for an hour I learn not to use too much oxigen on stage. That practice is so hard that I have to through up throw up/vomit.

His travelling company also houses his mother and 2 of his 3 sisters. But don't suspect nice chaperonnes with Mika (a charming, but blabla incomprehensible personality)They are not here just as company. "I don't have a regular mother-son relation with my ma. She creates the costumes for my show. I see her as a collegue, just as my sisters who are good a stage designing and coming up with requisiten props.

It sound less warm then expected at the Brittish-Lebanese singer woth the teddybear image. But who will comfort him when he gets a panick attack just before showtime? Sure it is his family??

"Absolutely not! My bandmembers, we always support each other!"

How does such a nervous breakdown occur? Mika slides fidgets on the sofa uneasily. "Because something goes wrong, In such a situation I have to take the lead." But how does he behave before that succeeds?

Mika, famous for his abjection to talk about personal issues, relationships and his supposed homosexuality, thinks it's time for another subject. "I am not gonna tell you. My life should not become a reallife soap."

Preventing the latter is one of his few burdons from his popstardom. "Being recognized doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the urge of people to beoordeel (sorry) judge me for more than my music, my personnal life or my salesfigures. Look at the discussion about my second album. Almost 2 million copies sold, that is 1/3 of his predecessor. Disappointing, people say. But I think the salesfigure is gigantic. Certainly for a dark cd on which there is a song about two boy dolls who fall in love with each other. That is why I don't listen much to others. I know my way (road?) know where I want to go in my carreer and in my life."

And where is that? Mika giggles and is at ease again, behind a safe wall of mystery. "That is for you to find out!"

Mika, Sunday 18.15

3FM-Stage

Thank you very much for posting and for the translation. It´s a very interesting interview.

What I don´t understand is what he means in that part about the practise. Did he find the training before the tour so hard that he must vomit or are the shows so hard? ( sorry for my English).

Thank you very much for posting and for the translation. It´s a very interesting interview.

What I don´t understand is what he means in that part about the practise. Did he find the training before the tour so hard that he must vomit or are the shows so hard? ( sorry for my English).

The excercise is so tough it makes him throw up.

Archived