Tunisian interview (by phone) 21.10.10

French Deb

Yes there are !! :naughty::thumb_yello:

Ok, I translate everything right now :wink2: I try to be the faster I can ! :teehee:

thank you. :flowers2: i listened to the beginning, and understood some of what the presenter said, as she speaks very clearly - but it's hopeless trying to understand mika speaking french over the phone! :aah:

and t4p! :thumb_yello:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok guys, here are the first 5 minutes ! :naughty:

I did it fast, so I'm sorry if it's not a very good english at some points or if there are mistakes :teehee:

Hi, this is Mika. Meet me on the 23rd of october at « La coupole » in Tunis, I’m waiting for this gig for months.

I : for the first time and in exclusivity, we are with Mika. Hi Mika !

M : Hi, how are you ?

I : very fine, thank you for being ok to answer our interview

M : it’s a pleasure, can’t wait to come here

I : we are waiting for you and very happy to welcome you. It’s really crazy here with the tickets sellings. So, we’re gonna have a chat so our listeners could know you better

Everybody knows that you are half American and half Lebanese…

M : exactly !

I : as you can guess, it’s the Lebanese part that interests us more !

M : of course !

I : How related to Lebanon are you ? Do you have family, memories…?

M : I was born in Beirut. But I think that even if we only have a small part of yourself Lebanese, this part is the most important of your family. For instance, I have Moroccan and Italian friends and even if they are half English or half American, the Italian or Arabic part is the most important. And it’s very true for me : when you come to my parents’ or to my place, it’s a Lebanese house. This is a great part of my life, of childhood. I’m very proud of that.

I : Even at your home, right now, you do have some Lebanese “touch” (objects…)

M : of course, there are still the coffee cups, still Rafa the family friend who can predict our fortune [or maybe he wanted to say luck...], there are paintings, carpets everywhere.

I : Mika, Tunisia isn’t the first Arabic country where you do a gig : there was Morocco, Jordania, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and of course Lebanon. Do you choose the countries where you play ?

M : Yes, it’s really me. For instance, this year, wed had the choice to do Baalbek in Lebanon even if I had biggest propositions. But Baalbek was important for me. I think we always should choose where you go. We did a gig in Rabat a few months ago. This gig was managed by the king and it was free and almost 40 000 people came, it was outside. It was an outstanding feeling and a great honor being there.

Can’t wait to go in Tunisia, I have a lot of Tunisian friends. I’m very happy

I : we are really waiting for you. Will we have some surprises for this Tunis gig ?

M : Well, if you don’t know my gig, there will be some surprises, but if you already saw it 10 000 times [can’t hear the number very well ! ] there won’t !

I : I do have a spy ! Her name is Leila, she’s a big fan of you and meet her several times

M : yes

I : and she told us that some people will be lucky enough to get on stage with you. So I tell it, there will be huge surprises and you’re very close to your fans

M : I like to pick fans and people from the audience to get on stage and to dance with us. For instance on Big Girl we have the outfits… [ then he explains the funeral march and the Mexican carnival thing] All this create craziness !

I : that’s why your shows are unique because the audience isn’t the same from a country to another

M : exactly ! it’s always different! For instance for this tour, we look for people to dance on stage so if you want to dance on stage, come quite early then, there will be my sister and someone from the production who will go out to pick people

I : Are there only BG ?

M : no, we are looking for many kind of people because we have many different outfits, with men or women. We started that on the US, and some men did breakdancing on stage [never heard about that !!], then we went to Japan, and it was so difficult to find people to dance on stage and when they danced on stage, they didn’t move except their head!

I : you’ll see how the Tunisian will be entertaining !

M : I hope so!

I did it fast, so I'm sorry if it's not a very good english at some points or if there are mistakes :teehee:

Hi, this is Mika. Meet me on the 23rd of october at « La coupole » in Tunis, I’m waiting for this gig for months.

I : we are waiting for you and very happy to welcome you. It’s really crazy here with the tickets sellings. So, we’re gonna have a chat so our listeners could know you better

M : I was born in Beirut. But I think that even if we only have a small part of yourself Lebanese, this part is the most important of your family. For instance, I have Moroccan and Italian friends and even if they are half English or half American, the Italian or Arabic part is the most important. And it’s very true for me : when you come to my parents’ or to my place, it’s a Lebanese house. This is a great part of my life, of childhood. I’m very proud of that.

M : of course, there are still the coffee cups, still Rafa the family friend who can predict our fortune [or maybe he wanted to say luck...], there are paintings, carpets everywhere.

I : Mika, Tunisia isn’t the first Arabic country where you do a gig : there was Morocco, Jordania, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and of course Lebanon. Do you choose the countries where you play ?

M : Yes, it’s really me. For instance, this year, wed had the choice to do Baalbek in Lebanon even if I had biggest propositions. But Baalbek was important for me. I think we always should choose where you go. We did a gig in Rabat a few months ago. This gig was managed by the king and it was free and almost 40 000 people came, it was outside. It was an outstanding feeling and a great honor being there.

I : we are really waiting for you. Will we have some surprises for this Tunis gig ?

M : Well, if you don’t know my gig, there will be some surprises, but if you already saw it 10 000 times [can’t hear the number very well ! ] there won’t !

I : I do have a spy ! Her name is Leila, she’s a big fan of you and meet her several times

I : and she told us that some people will be lucky enough to get on stage with you. So I tell it, there will be huge surprises and you’re very close to your fans

M : I like to pick fans and people from the audience to get on stage and to dance with us. For instance on Big Girl we have the outfits… [ then he explains the funeral march and the Mexican carnival thing] All this create craziness !

I : that’s why your shows are unique because the audience isn’t the same from a country to another

M : exactly ! it’s always different! For instance for this tour, we look for people to dance on stage so if you want to dance on stage, come quite early then, there will be my sister and someone from the production who will go out to pick people

M : no, we are looking for many kind of people because we have many different outfits, with men or women. We started that on the US, and some men did breakdancing on stage [never heard about that !!], then we went to Japan, and it was so difficult to find people to dance on stage and when they danced on stage, they didn’t move except their head!

Thank you!!:wink2:

It's so nice to hear him again AND understand what he's saying!

*waits for the rest of translation...don't hurry...take your time!*

thanx for the 1st part deb! :flowers2:

:naughty: good to know that i won't miss anything important. :roftl:

2nd part :

I : Now we’ll talk about your artistic world. You really created your own style and your own world so kudos for that! Especially in the music industry today. You “fight” against the major companies who wanted you to sing differently, like Craig David. You must be very proud of you, right, for becoming the star you are today?

M : don’t know, I don’t feel particularly proud. I always thinks about a lot of questions, that gave me energy. I’m never satisfied with what I do cause I always want to invent again myself. Now that I’m working on my 3rd album, that gives me the perfect opportunity to reinvent what I do and to add something new in my visual and world. You never should think of what you did being proud but you should learn about it and use these lessons to keep going on

I : Yes, but you had a uneasy adolescence, and you managed to establish your own style. It’s a big deal! And it’s a nice example for the young people who are suffering or dealing with themselves.

M : yes, it’s true. I used the feelings I felt (being apart at school…) and I used this energy to show the world I could do something. I made some films in my head, when I had troubles at school, in the street, I had some great illusions in my head. It could have been a disaster but thanks God, I was lucky and today I’m fine.

I : that’s great

M : I closed my eyes and I always dreamed ! I think I’m very lucky to do what I like today.

I : Next question. You often talk about a 10 years career. You don’t picture yourself singing at 50 like the Rolling Stones ?

M : don’t know. I like to think that I won’t wear the same things at 50, I won’t sing the same songs the same way I do now, I’d like to invent because it would be ridiculous a 50 or 60 years old man wearing coloring pants and braces and singing Lollipop! And honestly, it would be even disgusting/filthy. I must confess, you have to change !

I : maybe you will sing some ballads, really calm songs

M : oh no, not at all ! It wouldn’t be calm but insane ! But no ballads !

I: Talk to me about Melachi, your dog. I think her name is related to Arabic

M : it’s my great grand-mother’s name. The dog is very nice and very quiet ! very wise ! It’s funny because people from family or friends don’t like to touch her. I don’t know why, they don’t like dogs in the house, so it’s nice because she is not too much spoiled. So she is wise and always stays with me.

I : do you know a few words in Arabic ? We would like to hear you!

M: I’m terrible. I try, but when I tried in Jordania or Lebanon, everybody laughed at me

I : just say “hello”, something easy.

M :….

[ Then they talk about Arabic singers and the girl ask him if it’s something that touch him. He says they are childhood memories and some of them are ones of the greater voices of the world. ]

Thank you for the translation,I understand perfectly.I'm happy to hear Mika again after those difficult days.I can't wait for a gig in my country :thumb_yello:

Thanks for the link, it works perfectly for me...

Very good to hear his voice :biggrin2: and his laugh :mf_lustslow: although I think he got more mellow when she mentionned Paloma:sad:

Can't wait to hear about the concert, I bet it will be magical:biggrin2:

You're welcome guys :wink2::blush-anim-cl:. I think it's a very nice interview and it's the first one since a while and since these difficult days so I wanted to share with the most of you :wub2:

Here is the last part :

I : You work at home with your family, your friends. It’s like a wonderland !

M : no, it’s a world with many arguments, many troubles! When we work with family, everyone thinks it’s very cute, that we are always together working during a minute and cooking some muffins during another… but we work late.

I : who is the referee when there is a problem ?

M : he is the one who has more energy to scream. The one who can’t scream anymore looses!

I : we have a small “Proust questionnaire” to end with. Your favorite word ? Lollipop?

M : onomatopoeia

I : the word you hate ?

M . salopettes [in French it’s quite a fun word!] (= dungarees)

I : the job you could never have done?

M : plumber, I hate water!

I : your main defect ?

M : Hmmm

I : oh apparently, there are a lot of defects and you have to choose one!

M : yes, there are! I’m impatient

I : and your main quality ?

M : I’m impatient!

I : your favorite hero/heroine ?

M : Snoopy

I : Snoopy, are you serious ?

M : Yes! He is zen and mature, but he’s a dog so he can’t have many material qualities. He’s like a Buddhist. In fact, he is very complicated Snoopy!

I : Wow, all that in Snoopy!

M : yes, it’s deep!

I : thank you so much. I have a couple of things to tell you : “you are golden”, really. And you know, we are all with you, we thought a lot about you these past days. And we are waiting for you, we’ll give you a lot of love next Saturday I hope.

M : Thank you. Actually, my sister had a big accident a week ago…

I :… yes, that’s why I’m telling you that…

M : and I’m very happy she is stable enough and that she makes enough progress that we could do this gig. We nearly canceled it and we are very happy that we don’t have to cancel. It’s a pleasure cause that’s means that we can actually do the gig and that she is in a state good enough that I can do it, so it’s very positive.

I: That’s why I said that. Many people have prayed here for Paloma and we were really sad. It’s a very good news that you are saying to us right now.

M : thanks a lot

I : thanks you very much, I’d like to meet you on Saturday. See you soon

M : See you, bye.

You're welcome guys :wink2::blush-anim-cl:. I think it's a very nice interview and it's the first one since a while and since these difficul days so I wanted to share with the most of you :wub2:

:flowers2: Thank you so much. I doesn´t speak french and I´m happy that I can read the translation. What a nice interview. :thumb_yello:

thanx again deb! :huglove:

i love it that the interviewer is sensitive enough not to ask him about paloma, but that it's him who brings up the topic! :thumb_yello:

totally ! :thumb_yello: she was really good during the whole interview and very sensitive at the end about the Paloma thing :wub2:

Archived