The shrink thread Part 2

southeast

I think it would be something connected with books and his perceiving of some characters. The influence of some books at the RL. Did he imagine himself being a literature hero, did he behave himself as someone from a book? I'm an avid reader, and Mika loves reading too, so we would find a topic to talk about. He has a brilliant sense of word, style - we can see it from his articles. I think there is more to it than meets the eye.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being a journalist, I have actually contemplated this question. What

would I ask Mika if I had the chance to interview him? Your idea of limiting

the questions to one topic is interesting, yet very challenging, since there

are so many things I would like to know! :naughty: But if I had to ask

about just one topic? Hmmm... the topic of image is a very good one, to be

sure.

But since no one likes a copycat, I guess I have to come up

with my own idea, right? I'd like to concentrate

on his lyrics. Putting on my pseudo-psychologist hat :wink2:

I'd like to know what some of his lyrics actually

*mean* -- quite often when he's asked what a particular song means,

he'll talk about what *inspired* him to write it. For example, Relax was

inspired by the events of 7/7/05, but in no way do I think it's really *about*

that day. I'd also like to know how he writes the lyrics -- do the lyrics

come first, or does the melody? And why does he so often repeat lyrics

in a song, instead of coming up with another verse? Is it for emphasis or

just because he doesn't have anything else to add? When he collaborates

on a song with someone like Jodi Marr do they contribute more to the lyrics

or to the tune or arrangement? I remember he said that Jodi Marr pretty

much came up with the second verse of My Interpretation, expressing a

point of view that was totally different from his. Also, he often goes for

imagery or phrasing that's unusual or unconventional --

Billy Brown has several instances of the latter. Is that intentional or just a

random thing? After he's written something like that does he look back and

wonder :doh: "What was I thinking?" In other words, does he ever go

back and analyze his lyrics as much as we do? :naughty:

I think it would be something connected with books and his perceiving of some characters. The influence of some books at the RL. Did he imagine himself being a literature hero, did he behave himself as someone from a book? I'm an avid reader, and Mika loves reading too, so we would find a topic to talk about. He has a brilliant sense of word, style - we can see it from his articles. I think there is more to it than meets the eye.

Oh, you're a journalist? How interesting! You should really do an interview with Mika then! We can all suggest questions and then all can vote for the 10 best ones and then you can do "The Ultimative MFC Mika Interview". :biggrin2:

Both topics are so good! Especially because that way you can find out so much about him without asking really personal questions to make him feel uneasy. And yet the books we read tell so much about who we are! I dunno what do you think, but every time I visit someone for the first time at home and don't see any bookshelves and books I really think something's missing.

May I ask what happened 7/7/05? Have I missed something important? :blink:

Btw, I have such a nice idea for the next topic on the thread! :teehee:

But I must do some more research. *rubs hands* And I still want to hear some more ideas for interview topics before changing the subject. :biggrin2:

Oh, you're a journalist? How interesting! You should really do an interview with Mika then! We can all suggest questions and then all can vote for the 10 best ones and then you can do "The Ultimative MFC Mika Interview". :biggrin2:

Both topics are so good! Especially because that way you can find out so much about him without asking really personal questions to make him feel uneasy. And yet the books we read tell so much about who we are! I dunno what do you think, but every time I visit someone for the first time at home and don't see any bookshelves and books I really think something's missing.

But I must do some more research. *rubs hands* And I still want to hear some more ideas for interview topics before changing the subject. :biggrin2:

Now I would I ask the same question...:) Never heard about this day as well:dunno:

First: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings

About interviewing Mika.

I suggested a long time ago that one of the mods ( we have another journalist as well, Lollipop_monkey) should do an interview with Mika.

It doesn't necessary has to be one of the mods but of course a person who are experienced with doing interviews would be a good choice.

We talked about it for a while but I remember that the fear of being exposed to jealousy and other unpleasant stuff did scare them away from the very thought!:aah:

I wish I could find the thread were we talked about it, but I don't know how to look for it.

It's a pity they felt that way. We have had a lot of dramas and I have seen people yelled at and accused for things by ridiculous reasons so I can understand the point, but I (personally) think it would be really interesting to read or listen to an interview with him were we can get answers to questions that really means something for us as dedicated fans.

I would love to hear more about his music as been mentioned here before.

I would also love to hear for example how he coop with being in different places all the time whilst touring, how he does to get some relaxation.

I'm sure that with common work we could come up with a bunch of interesting and essential questions!:thumb_yello:

So much better than a random journalist :sneaky2: who has little or even no interest in Mika's work ever can do!

I'll say let's go for it!:thumb_yello:

The London bombings.

I actually wouldn't ask him on that. In my head / interpretation it is not about the London Bombings itself, but he chose that analogy ( the story/ scene that happened there) to talk about a relationship.

Cool. I hope we can also jump between topics though , like on any other thread :naughty:

as for me, first I'd like to go to a previous topic Sienna mentioned earlier - I'll do that tonight, need to go home from work:teehee:

Yes, I agree with you, I really should do it! :naughty:

Can we get Mika on board with that idea?

A very long time ago, I had the chance to do an interview

with Perez Hilton, and I did just as you suggested -- I used questions

that were submitted by MFCers, and posted the interview here on MFC.

So then when Mika solicited our questions on his blog, that was actually

what I asked: May I interview you for the MFC? I'm still waiting for a reply. :wink2:

About interviewing Mika.

I suggested a long time ago that one of the mods ( we have another journalist as well, Lollipop_monkey) should do an interview with Mika.

It doesn't necessary has to be one of the mods but of course a person who are experienced with doing interviews would be a good choice.

We talked about it for a while but I remember that the fear of being exposed to jealousy and other unpleasant stuff did scare them away from the very thought!:aah:

I wish I could find the thread were we talked about it, but I don't know how to look for it.

I remember, Sienna, but I can't find it either. :dunno:

(EDIT: I found it, Sienna. Conversation starts around this post and continues from there:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2486195&postcount=669 So more than

a year ago already!)

But yeah, I guess Mana and I will have to fight it out once that

opportunity comes. :mf_swordfight: Or maybe we can do it together?

A much better option!

I'm sure that with common work we could come up with a bunch of interesting and essential questions!:thumb_yello:

So much better than a random journalist :sneaky2: who has little or even no interest in Mika's work ever can do!

OK, I'm ready when Mika is! :biker:

It's a pity they felt that way. We have had a lot of dramas and I have seen people yelled at and accused for things by ridiculous reasons so I can understand the point, but I (personally) think it would be really interesting to read or listen to an interview with him were we can get answers to questions that really means something for us as dedicated fans.

I would love to hear more about his music as been mentioned here before.

I would also love to hear for example how he coop with being in different places all the time whilst touring, how he does to get some relaxation.

That's such a good idea:thumb_yello: I was thinking - did Mika usually himself choose the questions which he is going to answer during the normal interview? Because some of them are always the same...our questions would be more interesting, I'm sure:teehee:

I have one question which just stuck in my head - Has Mika ever had a dog before or it's his first one? :teehee:

That's such a good idea:thumb_yello: I was thinking - did Mika usually himself choose the questions which he is going to answer during the normal interview? Because some of them are always the same...our questions would be more interesting, I'm sure:teehee:

I have one question which just stuck in my head - Has Mika ever had a dog before or it's his first one? :teehee:

or the question: Does he REALLY have a dog?:teehee:

:roftl:

which reminds me: how would we know that he tells US the truth? :mf_rosetinted:

would you call him out on it? like, mika, come on, we've heard five different versions on this, what's the deal? :naughty:

No, I'm not a journalist, I'm a humble translator. But me too, visiting a new house I always rush to the book shells. Usually i'm very polite and have good manners, but I forget about manners while asking for taking a book to read at home :blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl:

But I can't find in my country Angela Carter. I saw her books in internet shops, but it will be golden if I will buy it here, because of the delivery. And I can't pay online :aah: Maybe someone has this book as a file?

Good topic, SE! :thumb_yello:

My questions would be music-related, of course. :blush-anim-cl: But I don't want him to explain hidden meanings or events that inspired his songs, because I believe that having precise answers would take away all the mystery and charm of each song. I don't fancy explanations and certainties as far as music is concerned. :no:

I'd love to know more about his relationship with music, any kind of music, not only his own. I would ask him lots of questions about classical music and his favourite composers and compositions, what he learned at univerrsity (what courses he took, if he could write music scores, if he only studied singing or also other instruments...). And I'd love to know what music he normally listens to, because I think he has lied about his favourite artists and music so far. :teehee:

Then in the second part of my interview, I would ask him to tell me some of his experiences when he used to sing classical music as a child. Rehearsals, the kind of music he liked, the musicians he met.

At the end I would ask him to say something he wants about music. The first thing that comes up to his mind.

That's all. I don't want to be too demanding. :mf_rosetinted: Especially because making up all the lies to answer my questions may take him a while. :naughty: I don't want to kill his poor neuron! :roftl::roftl:

Good topic, SE! :thumb_yello:

My questions would be music-related, of course.

Obviously you would ask him questions about music, as you are a trained musician --

I guess that's why my first thought was to ask about the lyrics, as I'm a writer.

I'd be very interested to hear the results of your interview with him, too.

Between the two of us, we'd cover both parts that make up his songs. :thumb_yello:

Obviously you would ask him questions about music, as you are a trained musician --

I guess that's why my first thought was to ask about the lyrics, as I'm a writer.

I'd be very interested to hear the results of your interview with him, too.

Between the two of us, we'd cover both parts that make up his songs. :thumb_yello:

You can ask him whatever you want. We are just imagining things here after all. :blink: I don't think my questions depend on the fact that I study music. They are more related to my own interests and my views on music. They are not that specific. :dunno:

Are you a published writer then? Do you write for a newspaper or for a magazine? When I was studying in Ireland I met a girl who had a column on a Seattle newspaper. She was so young! :sweatdrop: She was writing a novel at the time.

I can't believe you can keep up your work for the fan club and your job at the same time! :shocked: You must be a very hard-working person! :thumb_yello:

Anyway mine is just an imaginary interview as I don't feel special enough to hope to get an interview with him. And I don't think I should expect to be allowed to know more about him. If he hasn't talked about certain things so far, it's probably because he doesn't want to. He knows much more about music than we believe. I'm sure he hides quite a lot of the stuff he reads and of his knowlegde of music.

Yes, I agree with you, I really should do it! :naughty:

Can we get Mika on board with that idea?

A very long time ago, I had the chance to do an interview

with Perez Hilton, and I did just as you suggested -- I used questions

that were submitted by MFCers, and posted the interview here on MFC.

So then when Mika solicited our questions on his blog, that was actually

what I asked: May I interview you for the MFC? I'm still waiting for a reply. :wink2:

I remember, Sienna, but I can't find it either. :dunno:

(EDIT: I found it, Sienna. Conversation starts around this post and continues from there:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2486195&postcount=669 So more than

a year ago already!)

But yeah, I guess Mana and I will have to fight it out once that

opportunity comes. :mf_swordfight: Or maybe we can do it together?

A much better option!

OK, I'm ready when Mika is! :biker:

I can't believe you actually found it! Maybe being a mod also requires some detective skills!:roftl:

Please ask him again, he seems to have a short memory!:wink2:

That's such a good idea:thumb_yello: I was thinking - did Mika usually himself choose the questions which he is going to answer during the normal interview? Because some of them are always the same...our questions would be more interesting, I'm sure

I wouldn't want to destroy the fun :naughty: I know you guys are joking, but I think those kind of questions have a very little common interest!:teehee:

I don't want him to explain hidden meanings or events that inspired his songs, because I believe that having precise answers would take away all the mystery and charm of each song.

I'd like to know the stories in 10 years or so when my own interpretation of the lyrics will not be affected by any new revelations...:teehee:

I'd love to know what music he normally listens to, because I think he has lied about his favourite artists and music so far. :teehee:

:blink: why would he have? and what makes you think so?

You can ask him whatever you want. We are just imagining things here after all. :blink: I don't think my questions depend on the fact that I study music. They are more related to my own interests and my views on music. They are not that specific. :dunno:

Well, that's what I meant -- you're interested in music, so you would ask

about it. I'm interested in words so I would ask about them. I'm also

interested in the music, though -- it's just that my curiosity about words

came to mind first. But I do think your questions were very specific --

you said you would ask about

his experiences in school, how he was trained, etc., and also about his

experiences as a young singer. I think all of that would be extremely

interesting to hear about. And you're right, this is all just "pie-in-the-

sky" sort of fantasy, so we could ask whatever we'd like. :original:

Are you a published writer then? Do you write for a newspaper or for a magazine? When I was studying in Ireland I met a girl who had a column on a Seattle newspaper. She was so young! She was writing a novel at the time.

I can't believe you can keep up your work for the fan club and your job at the same time! :shocked: You must be a very hard-working person!

Oh yes, I'm a superwoman. :roftl: Seriously, much of my writing these

days is for online publications, which is why I'm online so much. But

I have also written for traditional media: newspapers, magazines,

newsletters, I have co-authored a book and have some of my work in

collections of essays. (Not meaning to boast, but you asked.)

So yes, I am a published author :thumb_yello:

Anyway mine is just an imaginary interview as I don't feel special enough to hope to get an interview with him. And I don't think I should expect to be allowed to know more about him. If he hasn't talked about certain things so far, it's probably because he doesn't want to. He knows much more about music than we believe. I'm sure he hides quite a lot of the stuff he reads and of his knowlegde of music.

I agree with you that he is quite knowledgeable about music -- no question.

But I don't think the issue is about "being allowed" to know more -- you just

said that this is for fun, and it is. Since this is the "shrinks thread" I thought

the whole point was to speculate and analyze. Isn't that what you said

to me last week when you asked me why I was here? :blink:

In any case, I don't really expect to ever

have the chance to interview him, either. I like to imagine it, but I'm

not sitting here at my desk, day in and day out, waiting for the phone to

ring. :naughty: Sorry, Sienna. :wink2:

I can't believe you actually found it! Maybe being a mod also requires some detective skills!:roftl:

That's what comes of years of reporting and digging up info. Of course,

being nosy and persistent helps. :blush-anim-cl:

Please ask him again, he seems to have a short memory!

Oh, I'm sure he remembers quite well -- I suspect that's why he avoided

coming to North America this year, in fact, just to avoid having to speak to

me.

(That's a joke, by the way. I don't really think that's why he skipped

North America...) :roftl:

Thank you! :blush-anim-cl: Stick around!

Hey, people. You sure know by now (cause I am ranting about it all the time :teehee:) how I hate those stupid journalists who pose Mika the same ridiculous questions over and over again.

So I was thinking how would I do an interview with him if I had like 1/2 hour of his precious time. You know, critisizing is one thing, but doing it yourself is not that easy...

So I thought I'll copy the "Süddeutsche Zeitung", that's my daily newspaper here in Germany. They have a weekend edition where on the last page there is a big interview with someone interesting. Most of the interviews are very good and every week a different journalist does one. And every interview has one main topic, a different one every time.

So, what would be your one topic with Mika? What would be the one most important thing you want to know from/about him?

My topic would be: "Image". Cause it's all about image with him. F.e.: How he sees himself, how he thinks people/fans/press/his family see him, what image does he want to transport through his music? Image in pop-music. Is his Mika public image the same as his private one. A beautiful topic I think. You can do so much with it...

I would do a random question interview with him, like the random questions I used to do back in 07/08.

There are so many things you can learn by asking totally random off the cuff questions, and have a laugh when you do it.

I think SE meant a more intellectual interview.

I don't think most people have problems asking him questions.

It depends on the questions you ask.

I did ask some funny questions during that time, but staying in the criteria that I set for it, the scope is still open for questions that can stimulate an intellectual response.

Even more important... would he enjoy being interviewed by a fan? :mf_rosetinted:

He stopped answering our questions after the first round. :tears:

Well, there is that video where he was interviewed by that one young Australian fan.

yes, I can imagine the intellectual level of such questions and responses after gigs. :teehee:

After gigs, it was meant to be light hearted, and could be during any Q&A session.

It doesn't have to be deadly serious, to get intellectual answers all the time.

If the person you are interviewing feels comfortable, you can get a better response and probably very intelligent answers from them

Well, there is that video where he was interviewed by that one young Australian fan.

yes. there may not much difference between a possible interview by a fan and one by an inexperienced journalist, for example. A fan can also be competent in in asking the right questions at the right time while being able to connect with him. After all, there are so many incompetent people in the world of media - I can easily imagine an amateur journalist doing a better job.

Archived