The shrink thread Part 2

southeast

You know, it sounds like another generalisation that I personally try to avoid whenever I can.

I understand it helps most people's interpretation and provides arguments pro and contra but it is just simplifying things for people who can only understand plain language.

Let me share an example of sarcastic humour that I really hated and was shocked to hear on live tv in the 1990s.

There was an awards show in the UK (Comedy Awards, I think) presented by Jonathan Ross. He was not as popular as he is now, but he had already had some tv shows and he was basically just considered to be a just funny bloke.

Anyway, at the beginning of the show he was doing his own stand-up part and made a joke that went like "we need this like Frank Sinatra needs next year's calendar" :shocked: and I was utterly disgusted :puke: as Frank Sinatra had been ill for several months that time but later on it turned out he had many more months to live... I would like to think most people in the audience did not really laughed at this sick joke, but there was no big scandal about it later.

It would surely have been different if he had said something similar about a member of the Royal Family (everyone would have been appalled) and the joke would have gone down with a storm had he included some terrorist in the center of his story.

So, basically, what I am saying that our perception of a sarcastic comment strongly depends on our personal perspective / opinion of the subject of the comment as well as the skills of the person using sarcasm.

Just because some people use sarcasm in an offensive way does not mean that sarcasm itself needs to be seen in a bad light.

:shocked: That's really a bad & very cheap joke!

Oh, I like sarcastic and ironic people. They are so amusing! Life would be boring without them. And yes, you can be sarcastic without being hurtful. It is a very thin line, but you can. Just don't like it when people hurt other people who can't defend themselves. But of course you can do this without being sarcastic as well.

The guys from my favorite band of the moment MGMT (see signature :teehee:) (Hello, koolj5! :roftl:) can be very sarcastic at interviews and are hated by most journalists because of that. But they never are disrespectful or hurtful, actually they are very sweet people. I think they are just protecting themselves the best way they can.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would not call this lying, only fibbing.

I think you are right with the game part.

I noticed, for example, that he often 'lies' ( i.e. makes up ridiculous stories ) when he does not like the journalist he is talking to. He seems to enjoy doing it to interviewers who are reading questions from a piece of paper and are clearly not interested in his answers. Often they do not even hear or care what he answers, so Mika must think he is ridiculing them in front of a wide audience...:roftl: and how right he is:teehee:

Some people are simply so gullible they believe everything they read or are told....:fisch:

:roftl::roftl::roftl: right, you're so right! Good boy :naughty:

aww so sweet, you've noticed my caption under avatar! :blush-anim-cl:

Yes, you are right, of course! and of course, nothing bad. He behaves in very different ways, depending on the interviewer. Do you think it is important to him to be loved? Because some people prefer better not to be loved, but do what they want. i wonder, does he always does and says what he wants and feels, or sometimes he is afraid of truth? Like in a case, when once he said he is in relationships at that time, but girls caught him in a lie by performing a bit of time calculation and referring to several previous interviews.

And I love the way he contradicts himself. Some people are so boring being predictable. And with Mika we don't know what to expect next :thumb_yello:

Sure! :wink2:

I think most people want to be loved. :dunno: But it is interesting how you describe people who like freedom more than love. Yes, I suppose there are people like that. I don't know if they "prefer" not to be loved or they just don't care for the people who love them and do what they want anyway. :dunno: But I really think Mika is the sort of person who wants to be loved by somebody for how he is. I mean: what better reason than that to get a dog?

:shocked: That's really a bad & very cheap joke!

Oh, I like sarcastic and ironic people. They are so amusing! Life would be boring without them. And yes, you can be sarcastic without being hurtful. It is a very thin line, but you can. Just don't like it when people hurt other people who can't defend themselves. But of course you can do this without being sarcastic as well.

The guys from my favorite band of the moment MGMT (see signature :teehee:) (Hello, koolj5! :roftl:) can be very sarcastic at interviews and are hated by most journalists because of that. But they never are disrespectful or hurtful, actually they are very sweet people. I think they are just protecting themselves the best way they can.

I think I also like sarcastic and ironic people but only if they are respectful enough :teehee: I have never heard about MGMT but if it's them on the picture in your signature - they look very funny (in the good way) :wink2:

Sure! :wink2:

I think most people want to be loved. :dunno: But it is interesting how you describe people who like freedom more than love. Yes, I suppose there are people like that. I don't know if they "prefer" not to be loved or they just don't care for the people who love them and do what they want anyway. :dunno: But I really think Mika is the sort of person who wants to be loved by somebody for how he is. I mean: what better reason than that to get a dog?

Of course normally people want to be loved but I think it also can be a lot of pressure if somebody really loves you. In such situation you can't just leave everything and disappear... it's like additional responsibilities... if I could choose I would probably choose freedom not love :teehee: ... people are strange :aah:

Of course normally people want to be loved but I think it also can be a lot of pressure if somebody really loves you. In such situation you can't just leave everything and disappear... it's like additional responsibilities... if I could choose I would probably choose freedom not love :teehee: ... people are strange :aah:

I think I understand what you mean! :teehee: Sometimes I just want to disappear, check in in a big hotel somewhere alone and only sleep, soak in the bathtub and read for a week. :teehee: What would you do if you could disappear for a few days?

I think I also like sarcastic and ironic people but only if they are respectful enough :teehee: I have never heard about MGMT but if it's them on the picture in your signature - they look very funny (in the good way) :wink2:

They were dressed as the Scooby-Doo gang for Haloween at the voodoo festival there. :teehee: You can visit the mgmt thread if you want to know something more about them. :wink2:

By the way! He is never afraid to say something negative or ludicrous about himself - have you noticed?

He said he is ugly.

He wanted to be a duck.

He pained his face blue in his childhood (victim of animations).

This blowing-nose confessions.

Shoplifting as his guiltiest pleasure.

and: What was your most embarrassing moment? - My grandmother pulling down my underwear in front of her friends to show that I had "come of age".

and more and more.

It seems like a lack of confidence, like he wants to confess, and then to be convinced that we love him anyway (I don't really think he is so self-confident that he doesn't care what to say about himself - we would "eat" it anyway).

Or is he just very childish?

I'm puzzled.

:roftl: (which interview did i miss there...:shocked:)

maybe mika isn't afraid about telling those kind of stories because often they are funny (the poop on his clothes when running into queen elizabeth comes to my mind...:teehee:) but mostly he, maybe subconsciously, knows that they make him more relatable and therefore lovable to us? like, this overly handsome, talented, somewhat privileged guy in the end is just like the rest of us...:wink2: it works.

Being sarcastic or bitter all the time is a sign for insecurity imo. People who feel comfortable with themselves could be a bit boring at times, because they don't have to act strange to get acknowledgement or attention. So I think insecure people or very sensitive people oft say sarcastic things to protect themselves.

i totally agree. a lot of very intelligent people are insecure. sometimes they also lack in the emotional intelligence department and don't even notice how hurtful their comments may be... (i have some family members like that)

The guys from my favorite band of the moment MGMT (see signature :teehee:) (Hello, koolj5! :roftl:)

:bye: hello!

(*goes to make an entry in her little book of 'how often SE promotes MGMT on the shrink thread*)

I think I understand what you mean! :teehee: Sometimes I just want to disappear, check in in a big hotel somewhere alone and only sleep, soak in the bathtub and read for a week. :teehee: What would you do if you could disappear for a few days?

great question! would i have money, too? if i did i would probably fly around the world to catch some great concerts and see some new places. otherwise i'd probably sit in front of this laptop for the whole week...:boxed:

Perhaps students lie to get noticed? Like some act agressively to get noticed by their parents/teachers/peers who otherwise ignore them? Sometimes I think it's a cry for attention. Not always, but sometimes. You can notice this kind of behavior already with small children.

I don't know. I'm trying to understand, but I have no answers atm. If you hide a bad mark, for example, it won't disappear. It will come up sooner or later. Why should you hide it with ridiculous tricks? :dunno: Once you see that your lies give you no results, you should drop them. Isn't this reasonable? :blink:

The scary thing is that parents are also ready to lie as their kids do only to protect them. And they manage to be even more ridiculous. :naughty:

Sometimes I think it too :naughty: He plays the games with us. And afterwards he goes to Wonka thread and enjoys captions. (or maybe he has a lot of other things to do and haven't visited forum since 2008 :aah::aah::aah:)

:roftl::roftl:

(*goes to make an entry in her little book of 'how often SE promotes MGMT on the shrink thread*)

:lmfao:

Would be definitely nice to disappear in some place with better climate :lmfao: Like Greece may be...

:roftl: (which interview did i miss there...:shocked:)

maybe mika isn't afraid about telling those kind of stories because often they are funny (the poop on his clothes when running into queen elizabeth comes to my mind...:teehee:) but mostly he, maybe subconsciously, knows that they make him more relatable and therefore lovable to us? like, this overly handsome, talented, somewhat privileged guy in the end is just like the rest of us...:wink2: it works.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/26/mika-interview

Maybe. Because most of us prefer his morming hair and geek glasses better than curled curls at Red Carpet.

i totally agree. a lot of very intelligent people are insecure. sometimes they also lack in the emotional intelligence department and don't even notice how hurtful their comments may be... (i have some family members like that)

Yes, I think that's sure one reason why he's doing it!

Hehe, I like the expression "lack in the ...... department".

:bye: hello!

great question! would i have money, too? if i did i would probably fly around the world to catch some great concerts and see some new places. otherwise i'd probably sit in front of this laptop for the whole week...:boxed:

Yes, sure you would have money! That's a good idea, I would join you in catching some great concerts! We can hire a private jet and travel around. You can take me to some RW gigs and I'll take you....you know where. :teehee: What about some exibitions as well?

The problem is, when you're involved in family life for a long time, at some point you don't even know what is it that you really want to do for yourself and on your own. You just sit there, scratch your head and think: "What were all those great things I always wanted to do?" And you can't remember them. :aah:

I don't know. I'm trying to understand, but I have no answers atm. If you hide a bad mark, for example, it won't disappear. It will come up sooner or later. Why should you hide it with ridiculous tricks? :dunno:Once you see that your lies give you no results, you should drop them. Isn't this reasonable? :blink:

The scary thing is that parents are also ready to lie as their kids do only to protect them. And they manage to be even more ridiculous. :naughty:

But that's exactly the point! The result is that they get your attention. Or the attention of their parents. That's what they want to achieve in the end. Even if it means problems. Better problems with their teacher and fight with their parents then being ignored by their parents. For me it sounds logic. As long as their parents don't pay attention to them without them having any problems and lying, just like more attentive or interested parents do, they will go on lying forever. You know, they lie to you because they know you are attentive and you will react and talk to their parents or whatever. If they lie to their parents, perhaps they don't even notice. :dunno:

But as I am no teacher, it's just an idea. Do you have a school psychologist at your school? At schools in Germany there are some. Perhaps your school psychologist has an explanation. :dunno:

Do you have a school psychologist at your school? At schools in Germany there are some. Perhaps your school psychologist has an explanation. :dunno:

:no: Unfortunately you have to pay to have one, so not every school can afford it. :boxed:

The school where I was last year paid two psychologists, but they mainly worked with the students. It's the famous guy I mentioned in part one of this thread, he was the chief psychologist. So I guess his suggestions were probably more dangerous than useful, actually. :naughty:

:no: Unfortunately you have to pay to have one, so not every school can afford it. :boxed:

The school where I was last year paid two psychologists, but they mainly worked with the students. It's the famous guy I mentioned in part one of this thread, he was the chief psychologist. So I guess his suggestions were probably more dangerous than useful, actually. :naughty:

Oh, that was the one who was a bit anarchic, right? And good-looking as well. :naughty:

Just saw a pic of Andrew sleeping. So cute!

So if Mika wants to kill all women on MFC at once and for ever, he should let someone take a picture (or even better, lots of pictures) of him while he's sleeping. :naughty:

Where did you find this sleeping picture??!

(*goes to make an entry in my little book of how often I start out on the shrink thread and end up on the MGMT thread*)

OMG.. 10 pages to catch up already :sad:

And 10 pages here take me more time than the 20 I've catched up yesterday on Gasmic..:naughty: Don't know why :teehee:

Things are going definitely too fast for me. I think I need to resign my job.. or my husband.. and send my kids on holidays far away from me.. :boxed:

Haaa! Exactly my thoughts! :naughty:

In addition I need a secretary to browse through all the threads and select the things I need to see'n'read. There should be a speed limit in the MFC so that the working people and/or those with kids could keep up with it :roftl::roftl::roftl:.

It's gonna be a long-long night for me today here in the shrinks. Volunteers, join me with a large mug of coffee :lmfao:.

Yes, sure you would have money! That's a good idea, I would join you in catching some great concerts! We can hire a private jet and travel around. You can take me to some RW gigs and I'll take you....you know where. :teehee: What about some exibitions as well?

i like exhibitions. sounds good, but you'd have to have at least one SERIOUS discussion with me... :roftl:

The problem is, when you're involved in family life for a long time, at some point you don't even know what is it that you really want to do for yourself and on your own. You just sit there, scratch your head and think: "What were all those great things I always wanted to do?" And you can't remember them. :aah:

oh, you will. it's called 'midlife crisis'...:mf_rosetinted:

Just saw a pic of Andrew sleeping. So cute!

So if Mika wants to kill all women on MFC at once and for ever, he should let someone take a picture (or even better, lots of pictures) of him while he's sleeping.

maybe with some drool coming out of the corners of his mouth...

(*goes to make an entry in my little book of how often I start out on the shrink thread and end up on the MGMT thread*)

:lmao:

good catch, too! this one almost slipped my attention, SE had me a little distracted thinking about sleeping boys and such...:sneaky2:

In addition I need a secretary to browse through all the threads and select the things I need to see'n'read. There should be a speed limit in the MFC so that the working people and/or those with kids could keep up with it :roftl::roftl::roftl:.

It's gonna be a long-long night for me today here in the shrinks. Volunteers, join me with a large mug of coffee :lmfao:.

i know what you mean! in my constant absence i have however noticed, that if there's something really big happening it will be mentioned in pretty much every thread! so you will be fine! :naughty:

He can, he can...:naughty:

:biggrin2:

Yo, Wonka! Really extremely glad to see you visiting the thread! :thumb_yello:

JC_coffee2.gif

Hahaha! Yes, well, I am sorry. The fact that I am going to their gig in exactly one month doesn't make it easier for me to keep my big mouth shut. Will try it though.

i like exhibitions. sounds good, but you'd have to have at least one SERIOUS discussion with me... :roftl:

oh, you will. it's called 'midlife crisis'...:mf_rosetinted:

maybe with some drool coming out of the corners of his mouth...

No way! I only want to drink Veuve Cliquot in the private jet and paint my fingernails. :mf_rosetinted:

:shocked: Don't remind me of this awfull word.

Bäh. No, no, no, imagine Mika sleeping with his puppy in his arms, his head on his long pillow in dackel form. No drool, no snoring. Isn't that sweet. :wub2:

Archived