The shrink thread Part 2

southeast

:doh: got home and I remembered I forgot to reply to one of southeast's earlier questions today, even though I promised to....here it is.

I would love to hear his answers to your questions.

He says he likes Kurt Weil, so I have the feeling he preferes melancholy music. Pure speculation.

I think the reason Mike likes Kurt Weill is because he seems to love the Berlin art-scene of the 20s / 30s. It might ultimately come from him performing in Cabaret in secondary school. The writers of that musical merely recreated that world, whilst Kurt Weill was one of the key writers of that period. Also, Kurt Weill wrote classical music as well. Basically, he has a wide portfolio of music as he did not restrict himself to one genre. It seems to me that this is the route Mika also wants to follow.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? I mean, you have observed people and they do that? Because I'm very lazy, and I always tell people I'm lazy, because I find active people a bit irritating :teehee: I'm also bad-tempered, there is no point to deny it. Why would people deny things like that?

But I always wonder how it is possible for some people to lie. Are they not afraid that people can see what they do? :blink:

Sorry to come here so sudden :blush-anim-cl: I read the end of the previous thread and there was some interesting discussion so I started to follow this thread.

You should meet one of my sisters, she can be very overbearing and hostile, but won't admit it. I've been on the receiving end many times.

There are people who try not to see, or maybe are totally oblivious to the fact, that they have certain traits, even though everyone else can see them clearly. Even when it's pointed out to them.

:doh: got home and I remembered I forgot to reply to one of southeast's earlier questions today, even though I promised to....here it is.

I think the reason Mike likes Kurt Weill is because he seems to love the Berlin art-scene of the 20s / 30s. It might ultimately come from him performing in Cabaret in secondary school. The writers of that musical merely recreated that world, whilst Kurt Weill was one of the key writers of that period. Also, Kurt Weill wrote classical music as well. Basically, he has a wide portfolio of music as he did not restrict himself to one genre. It seems to me that this is the route Mika also wants to follow.

Hey, thank you! :thumb_yello: That's a good explanation. I always thought "Over my shoulder" is very Kurt Weill.

Really? I mean, you have observed people and they do that? Because I'm very lazy, and I always tell people I'm lazy, because I find active people a bit irritating :teehee:

Yes, this is the normal behaviour. Of course there are all kinds of personalities, people with different phobias, like paranoid ones believing things happening when they are not..etc.

I wouldn't generalise on that, either, but some people definitely behave in strange ways at times.:dunno:

I always liked psychology in theory but never took time to study it or read further into it other than some courses I took at university.

Hey, thank you! :thumb_yello: That's a good explanation. I always thought "Over my shoulder" is very Kurt Weill.

any particular song in mind? I can't say I know KW's whole portfolio. OMS actually reminds me of some classical stuff Mika might have sung in churches...:teehee:

Thank you for coming in! You are very welcome! :wink2:

Thank you! :biggrin2:

You should meet one of my sisters, she can be very overbearing and hostile, but won't admit it. I've been on the receiving end many times.

There are people who try not to see, or maybe are totally oblivious to the fact, that they have certain traits, even though everyone else can see them clearly. Even when it's pointed out to them.

Yes, I'm sure you are right. I guess people don't want to see these things and how they are like, if they are not pleasant things.

Yes, this is the normal behaviour. Of course there are all kinds of personalities, people with different phobias, like paranoid ones believing things happening when they are not..etc.

I wouldn't generalise on that, either, but some people definitely behave in strange ways at times.:dunno:

I always liked psychology in theory but never took time to study it or read further into it other than the compulsory and some optional courses I took at university.

Yes, of course, I just counted out disorders and was thinking about people I know in general (if they are denying things happening).

I have always loved psychology too, and took some courses at university, but didn't have much options for that. There are so many interesting things in this world! Like volcanology, and psychology! I wish I could have studied them all :teehee:

I have always loved psychology too, and took some courses at university, but didn't have much options for that. There are so many interesting things in this world! Like volcanology, and psychology! I wish I could have studied them all :teehee:

There are few things I have never studied at university. Ironically, one of them is music:teehee:

and this actually reminds me of something I wanted to post yesterday (as I promised) just got distracted... Let me find it.

Like me saying I am easy going in real life and not discussing stuff? :teehee:

Sure they are. :naughty:

Some of them lie, some don't even realise they aren't saying the truth. They believe what they are saying. "Repression" as Freud puts it. They don't want to accept who they really are, so they are just making things up and repressing the not so positive traits of character. Their self-perception is totaly false. Happens very often to narcissists.

Thank you for coming in! You are very welcome! :wink2:

:jawdrop:

so, the topic I wanted to reflect on earlier is one that featured at the end of part 1 and there was some misunderstanding about some basic definitions.

This topic is irony vs sarcasm and at this stage, and I would only like to help clarify the definition of it since I saw sarcasm confused with irony or even just a bitter remark. Besides, many seem to consider sarcasm as something negative whilst it is widely used and well accepted in literature and real life, too.

I did some research myself on this in order to provide a clear explanation with examples.

Let me start with irony.There seem to be several types and it is the last one that is often confused with sarcasm.

Situational irony: when some improbable situations occur and create a tension between the expected and the real results.

An example of that would be if the ”win a piano lesson with Mika” competition was won by a piano teacher. :blink: ( :naughty: )

Dramatic / tragic irony: where the person involved is not aware of a situation others are

e.g. Mika cancelling a concert after hearing news about some strike action in France but later on it would turn out it never impacted his flight..etc..

Socratic irony is when one pretends to be unaware of a fact in order to expose the ”weakness” (in terms of thinking capability) of another person who is forced to explain the situation. (I don’t think I need to come up with examples of that :fisch: )

And Verbal irony is when words used convey a different (usually the opposite) meaning of what was was meant originally.

eg. Mika cancelled the concert? ”Oh great.”:cool:

Sarcasm, on the other hand, means using some bitter, ironic and witty language that is directed against an individual. So, sarcastic remark in this situation would go something like:

”No Mika tour is perfect without some cancellations”.:mf_rosetinted:

”Sarcastic wit” is said to come easy to those who have a sense of humour and are clever or at least quick-witted.

There is a quote that is attributed to Oscar Wilde, although it has never been proven that it comes from him. It goes: ” Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence”. I think that view sums up the question marks many people have about sarcasm.

In order to interpret sarcasm the correct way, you need to understand the speaker’s intention. Clearly, people who are uncapable of coming up with sarcastic remarks and fail to understand the sense of humour in them, often oppose its use. However, hurting people is not an essential part of sarcasm. It is merely the means of opposing a phenomena or highlighing the weaknesses of a person / group of people..etc with a sense of humour.

Here is an example of a sarcastic quote from Oscar Wilde:

“He was happily married - but his wife wasn't.”

Does it sound rude? I don’t think so, but I understand in a similar situation people involved might not find it that funny – depending on what real life event caused the speaker to come up with this remark, or even the sense of humour people listening had.

Anyway, I thought it might be an interesting read for you all - and then you can carry on with the other topics...

OMG.. 10 pages to catch up already :sad:

And 10 pages here take me more time than the 20 I've catched up yesterday on Gasmic..:naughty: Don't know why :teehee:

Things are going definitely too fast for me. I think I need to resign my job.. or my husband.. and send my kids on holidays far away from me.. :boxed:

:jawdrop:

You remember "pseudologia phantastica", one of the first topics of Sil on the old thread?

I found this text on narcissism, the part about lying is on page 166.

http://books.google.de/books?id=W4i4gzg2HPAC&pg=PA166&lpg=PA166&dq=pseudologia+phantastica+narcissism&source=bl&ots=eZCDHzR1uR&sig=hjO4c9tdjUoqijp9sAp6W3TWLK8&hl=de&ei=DXLSTJXYEMj4sgbPyoj9Cw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

And also this one: http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/display/article/10168/1162950

"Pathological Lying is noted for the chronicity and frequency of the lies, and the apparent lack of benefit derived from them. The lies are easily disprovable tales that are often fantastic in nature and may be extensive, elaborate, and complicated. There often appears to be a blurring of the boundaries between fiction and reality. The magnitude, callousness, or consequences of the lying behavior are irrelevant. Even when there appears to be an external motive for the lies in PL, the lies are so out of proportion to the perceived benefit that most people would see them as senseless. Such characteristics of PL have led some researchers to conclude that the lying behavior appears to be a gratification in itself,5 the reward is internal (usually unconscious) to the liar, unlike ordinary lies, for which the expected reward is external."

OMG.. 10 pages to catch up already :sad:

And 10 pages here take me more time than the 20 I've catched up yesterday on Gasmic..:naughty: Don't know why :teehee:

Things are going definitely too fast for me. I think I need to resign my job.. or my husband.. and send my kids on holidays far away from me.. :boxed:

No problem. Read only my posts. :mf_rosetinted:

There is a quote that is attributed to Oscar Wilde, although it has never been proven that it comes from him. It goes: ” Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence”. I think that view sums up the question marks many people have about sarcasm.

This is what this quote made me think of:

I love Oskar Wilde. Few months ago I watched an interview with Stephen Fry, (whom I love as well), who played him in the film and for whom he's a kind of role model in life. He said something about Oskar Wilde that made me love him even more.

I always liked his sense of humor, because although he sometimes is a bit wicked, most of the time he is kind of melancholic as well. But Stephen Fry said that apparently he was not only witty, elegant, well read and creative, but also an extremely kind and big-hearted person. People who talked longer to Wilde always had the feeling afterwards that they are very funny and intelligent people themselves, even more so than Wilde. So he managed to put himself in the background, be interested in what they have to say and let them shine in their own way. He also was a very kind & gentle husband even though as we know he prefered men. This made me admire him even more. (You can get an idea about this side of his personality if you read his "Fairy Tales")

In my real life I know a few really intelligent people who can be quick witted & ironic and sarcastic and because of that attractive. But they also can be bad and hurtful to others just to show off. So, you know, at the end, I can't admire them for their wit but just pity & diespise them for their badness. It is a question of priorities I suppose.

Really? I mean, you have observed people and they do that? Because I'm very lazy, and I always tell people I'm lazy, because I find active people a bit irritating :teehee: I'm also bad-tempered, there is no point to deny it. Why would people deny things like that?

But I always wonder how it is possible for some people to lie. Are they not afraid that people can see what they do? :blink:

Sorry to come here so sudden :blush-anim-cl: I read the end of the previous thread and there was some interesting discussion so I started to follow this thread.

Me too - I'm so awfully lazy! And I admit it, despite of the fact that this laziness spoils my life :aah: Because if I will say it myself, nobody would say it about me themselves in order to open my eyes :naughty:

But I think that more logical behaviour is not to mention one's own faults at all, instead of saying the opposite praising the good qualities that one lacks but boasts to possess them.

so, the topic I wanted to reflect on earlier is one that featured at the end of part 1 and there was some misunderstanding about some basic definitions.

This topic is irony vs sarcasm and at this stage, and I would only like to help clarify the definition of it since I saw sarcasm confused with irony or even just a bitter remark. Besides, many seem to consider sarcasm as something negative whilst it is widely used and well accepted in literature and real life, too.

I did some research myself on this in order to provide a clear explanation with examples.

Let me start with irony.There seem to be several types and it is the last one that is often confused with sarcasm.

Situational irony: when some improbable situations occur and create a tension between the expected and the real results.

An example of that would be if the ”win a piano lesson with Mika” competition was won by a piano teacher. :blink: ( :naughty: )

Dramatic / tragic irony: where the person involved is not aware of a situation others are

e.g. Mika cancelling a concert after hearing news about some strike action in France but later on it would turn out it never impacted his flight..etc..

Socratic irony is when one pretends to be unaware of a fact in order to expose the ”weakness” (in terms of thinking capability) of another person who is forced to explain the situation. (I don’t think I need to come up with examples of that :fisch: )

And Verbal irony is when words used convey a different (usually the opposite) meaning of what was was meant originally.

eg. Mika cancelled the concert? ”Oh great.”:cool:

Sarcasm, on the other hand, means using some bitter, ironic and witty language that is directed against an individual. So, sarcastic remark in this situation would go something like:

”No Mika tour is perfect without some cancellations”.:mf_rosetinted:

”Sarcastic wit” is said to come easy to those who have a sense of humour and are clever or at least quick-witted.

In order to interpret sarcasm the correct way, you need to understand the speaker’s intention. Clearly, people who are uncapable of coming up with sarcastic remarks and fail to understand the sense of humour in them, often oppose its use. However, hurting people is not an essential part of sarcasm. It is merely the means of opposing a phenomena or highlighing the weaknesses of a person / group of people..etc with a sense of humour.

Here is an example of a sarcastic quote from Oscar Wilde:

“He was happily married - but his wife wasn't.”

Does it sound rude? I don’t think so, but I understand in a similar situation people involved might not find it that funny – depending on what real life event caused the speaker to come up with this remark, or even the sense of humour people listening had.

Anyway, I thought it might be an interesting read for you all - and then you can carry on with the other topics...

Super! The link to this post deserves to be put into the 1 page of the thread!

You remember "pseudologia phantastica", one of the first topics of Sil on the old thread?

I found this text on narcissism, the part about lying is on page 166.

http://books.google.de/books?id=W4i4gzg2HPAC&pg=PA166&lpg=PA166&dq=pseudologia+phantastica+narcissism&source=bl&ots=eZCDHzR1uR&sig=hjO4c9tdjUoqijp9sAp6W3TWLK8&hl=de&ei=DXLSTJXYEMj4sgbPyoj9Cw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

And also this one: http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/display/article/10168/1162950

"Pathological Lying is noted for the chronicity and frequency of the lies, and the apparent lack of benefit derived from them. The lies are easily disprovable tales that are often fantastic in nature and may be extensive, elaborate, and complicated. There often appears to be a blurring of the boundaries between fiction and reality. The magnitude, callousness, or consequences of the lying behavior are irrelevant. Even when there appears to be an external motive for the lies in PL, the lies are so out of proportion to the perceived benefit that most people would see them as senseless. Such characteristics of PL have led some researchers to conclude that the lying behavior appears to be a gratification in itself,5 the reward is internal (usually unconscious) to the liar, unlike ordinary lies, for which the expected reward is external."

So: why do you think Mika is lying? What he wanted to do with Gertrude (black dog, Christian) tales? He needed a dog so badly, or he just wanted to check people's tolerance to his lying? :naughty::blink:

Why he is lying not about something good, but about the thing that can make him ridiculous?

By the way! He is never afraid to say something negative or ludicrous about himself - have you noticed?

He said he is ugly.

He wanted to be a duck.

He pained his face blue in his childhood (victim of animations).

This blowing-nose confessions.

Shoplifting as his guiltiest pleasure.

and: What was your most embarrassing moment? - My grandmother pulling down my underwear in front of her friends to show that I had "come of age".

and more and more.

It seems like a lack of confidence, like he wants to confess, and then to be convinced that we love him anyway (I don't really think he is so self-confident that he doesn't care what to say about himself - we would "eat" it anyway).

Or is he just very childish?

I'm puzzled.

So: why do you think Mika is lying? What he wanted to do with Gertrude (black dog, Christian) tales? He needed a dog so badly, or he just wanted to check people's tolerance to his lying? :naughty::blink:

Why he is lying not about something good, but about the thing that can make him ridiculous?

By the way! He is never afraid to say something negative or ludicrous about himself - have you noticed? He said he is ugly.

He wanted to be a duck.

He pained his face blue in his childhood (victim of animations).

This blowing-nose confessions.

Shoplifting as his guiltiest pleasure.

and: What was your most embarrassing moment? - My grandmother pulling down my underwear in front of her friends to show that I had "come of age".

and more and more.

It seems like a lack of confidence, like he wants to confess, and then to be convinced that we love him anyway (I don't really think he is so self-confident that he doesn't care what to say about himself - we would "eat" it anyway).

Or is he just very childish?

I'm puzzled.

I don't know, really. :dunno:

I suppose that's just his personality in the end.

Speculation:

Most people do things in life because they want to be liked/loved or at least noticed by others. I suppose Mika has the same motivation for his deeds and words. Especially because he has experienced at an early age what it means not to be liked. Everybody has a different strategy to make people like him/her. Some are charming, some are trying to be helpful and responsible all of the time, some try to be clever and make smart remarks, some behave in a shocking way or swear all the time, some like to irritate other people, some buy stuff and make money (men), some women behave like small girls, because some men fall for that, some act like they are helpless and in need of help (mostly women). There are thousands of strategies, everyone uses the one strategy he/she has learned works best for them (mostly learned through interactions with their parents :teehee:). Mostly people are not conscious of the reason for their behavior - they just act like they know best. If you think about it, I am sure you can detect at least few people around you behaving like that or is similar ways.

So as Mika knows he's charming and sweet, sometimes he's flirting with the journalists and using his charm in the way he knows it works best. It's just his way to make himself agreeable to people. So perhaps he's just fishing for compliments or telling (embarassing) stories from his childhood or about some "shocking" behavior or making up stories or behaving like a child to make people be interested in him and like him. That's nothing bad, it's just human. Most people are "just craving to be heard". :teehee:

I don't know, really. :dunno:

I suppose that's just his personality in the end.

Speculation:

Most people do things in life because they want to be liked/loved or at least noticed by others. I suppose Mika has the same motivation for his deeds and words. Especially because he has experienced at an early age what it means not to be liked. Everybody has a different strategy to make people like him. Some are charming, some are trying to be helpful and responsible all of the time, some try to be clever and make smart remarks, some behave in a shocking way or swear all the time, some like to irritate other people, some buy stuff and make money (men), some women behave like small girls, because some men fall for that, some act like they are helpless and in need of help (mostly women). There are thousands of strategies, everyone uses the one strategy he/she has learned works best for them (mostly learned through interactions with their parents :teehee:). Mostly people are not conscious of the reason for their behavior - they just act like they know works for them best. If you think about it, I am sure you can detect at least few people around you behaving like that or is similar ways.

So as Mika knows he's charming and sweet, sometimes he's flirting with the journalists and using his charm in the way he knows it works best. It's just his way to make himself agreeable to people. So perhaps he's just fishing for compliments or telling (embarassing) stories from his childhood or about some "shocking" behavior or making up stories or behaving like a child to make people be interested in him and like him. That's nothing bad, it's just human. Most people are "just craving to be heard". :teehee:

aww so sweet, you've noticed my caption under avatar! :blush-anim-cl:

Yes, you are right, of course! and of course, nothing bad. He behaves in very different ways, depending on the interviewer. Do you think it is important to him to be loved? Because some people prefer better not to be loved, but do what they want. i wonder, does he always does and says what he wants and feels, or sometimes he is afraid of truth? Like in a case, when once he said he is in relationships at that time, but girls caught him in a lie by performing a bit of time calculation and referring to several previous interviews.

And I love the way he contradicts himself. Some people are so boring being predictable. And with Mika we don't know what to expect next :thumb_yello:

I'm glad it's called 'pathological' at least. :boxed:

I can see it year after year in my classes: lies are getting more frequent, even though the students get in trouble because of them. Evidence is not even taken into account, they just lie against it. Yes, I guess it's a form of gratification in itself. But I think it also means that people don't consider that telling the truth is a value. The only important thing is what you are aiming at, the means to achieve the result is irrelevant. :sad:

In my real life I know a few really intelligent people who can be quick witted & ironic and sarcastic and because of that attractive. But they also can be bad and hurtful to others just to show off. So, you know, at the end, I can't admire them for their wit but just pity & diespise them for their badness. It is a question of priorities I suppose.

When someone regularly hurts other people with nasty remarks I don't say they are being sarcastic in my language, I just say they are "bitter" or "mean".

I usually classify a remark as sarcastic or ironic, not the person. Especially because people who can only express themselves using sarcasm have got a problem, man. :blink:

Wilde was a writer. His witty statements shouldn't be connected to his personality in my opinion. That was the style he had developed, which also showed in his plays. I'm not surprised to hear he was a very generous and good person. He created his own persona after all.

I think it's sometimes just a game for him. But I think it depends on the topic. I'm sure he lies on purpose to hide details about himself or his family that he doesn't want to make public.

You know, it sounds like another generalisation that I personally try to avoid whenever I can.

I understand it helps most people's interpretation and provides arguments pro and contra but it is just simplifying things for people who can only understand plain language.

Let me share an example of sarcastic humour that I really hated and was shocked to hear on live tv in the 1990s.

There was an awards show in the UK (Comedy Awards, I think) presented by Jonathan Ross. He was not as popular as he is now, but he had already had some tv shows and he was basically just considered to be a just funny bloke.

Anyway, at the beginning of the show he was doing his own stand-up part and made a joke that went like "we need this like Frank Sinatra needs next year's calendar" :shocked: and I was utterly disgusted :puke: as Frank Sinatra had been ill for several months that time but later on it turned out he had many more months to live... I would like to think most people in the audience did not really laughed at this sick joke, but there was no big scandal about it later.

It would surely have been different if he had said something similar about a member of the Royal Family (everyone would have been appalled) and the joke would have gone down with a storm had he included some terrorist in the center of his story.

So, basically, what I am saying that our perception of a sarcastic comment strongly depends on our personal perspective / opinion of the subject of the comment as well as the skills of the person using sarcasm.

Just because some people use sarcasm in an offensive way does not mean that sarcasm itself needs to be seen in a bad light.

I'm glad it's called 'pathological' at least. :boxed:

I can see it year after year in my classes: lies are getting more frequent, even though the students get in trouble because of them. Evidence is not even taken into account, they just lie against it. Yes, I guess it's a form of gratification in itself. But I think it also means that people don't consider that telling the truth is a value. The only important thing is what you are aiming at, the means to achieve the result is irrelevant. :sad:

When someone regularly hurts other people with nasty remarks I don't say they are being sarcastic in my language, I just say they are "bitter" or "mean".

I usually classify a remark as sarcastic or ironic, not the person. Especially because people who can only express themselves using sarcasm have got a problem, man. :blink:

Wilde was a writer. His witty statements shouldn't be connected to his personality in my opinion. That was the style he had developed, which also showed in his plays. I'm not surprised to hear he was a very generous and good person. He created his own persona after all.

Perhaps students lie to get noticed? Like some act agressively to get noticed by their parents/teachers/peers who otherwise ignore them? Sometimes I think it's a cry for attention. Not always, but sometimes. You can notice this kind of behavior already with small children.

I think people can be openly mean and hurtful to others, if they don't have the guts to "wrap" the insult in a witty remark. If they are intelligent they hurt in a more indirect way, sometimes the person they hurt doesn't even notice it at first. But that doesn't make it better, it makes it even worse, because an intelligent person should be able to reflect his/her own behavior. But sadly, intelligence has nothing to do with kindness.

Being sarcastic or bitter all the time is a sign for insecurity imo. People who feel comfortable with themselves could be a bit boring at times, because they don't have to act strange to get acknowledgement or attention. So I think insecure people or very sensitive people oft say sarcastic things to protect themselves. And I think you're right about Wilde - I mean, he was surely very sensitive and had to hide a lot, so he created this persona to protect himself. Poor guy.

I think it's sometimes just a game for him. But I think it depends on the topic. I'm sure he lies on purpose to hide details about himself or his family that he doesn't want to make public.

Sometimes I think it too :naughty: He plays the games with us. And afterwards he goes to Wonka thread and enjoys captions. (or maybe he has a lot of other things to do and haven't visited forum since 2008 :aah::aah::aah:)

So: why do you think Mika is lying?

I would not call this lying, only fibbing.

I think you are right with the game part.

I noticed, for example, that he often 'lies' ( i.e. makes up ridiculous stories ) when he does not like the journalist he is talking to. He seems to enjoy doing it to interviewers who are reading questions from a piece of paper and are clearly not interested in his answers. Often they do not even hear or care what he answers, so Mika must think he is ridiculing them in front of a wide audience...:roftl: and how right he is:teehee:

Some people are simply so gullible they believe everything they read or are told....:fisch:

Archived