The shrink thread Part 2

southeast

Not to speak in vain: I've just found the link. It' one of his early videos from Canada 2007 and it's in French. Actually he doesn't like Wham but for Bee Gees says "Cool". Check it out:

Hihi, the Bee Gees and "cool" are two things that somehow don't go together in my head. I suppose I never could listen to one of their songs because I always cracked up laughing as soon as I saw their clothes and hairdo...don't kill me, please! :teehee:

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hihi, the Bee Gees and "cool" are two things that somehow don't go together in my head. I suppose I never could listen to one of their songs because I always cracked up laughing as soon as I saw their clothes and hairdo...don't kill me, please! :teehee:

:sniper: :bonk:

:bleh:

I saw it back in 2007 and Christine and I have just explained what we think he might have meant:wink2:

Evidence is in his 2009 interview.

Well, we will never know the truth. :dunno:

I also think that he does happen to change his mind about music. Why not? And he may also like singers and bands for certain reasons and dislike them for others. He was actually very clear about Queen (strange! but was he being honest? :aah:), but not about lots of other artists.

Anyway, an excellent cook never reveals his successful recipes. :naughty:

Did he have a gig on the 25. in Berlin? I don't remember. Why did you freak out? Did the Berliners scare the hell out of you? :roftl:

24th! :biggrin2:

Let's say I had a breathtaking experience. :mf_rosetinted:

It was a radio interview with BBC, I think.

In 2007? I was thinking of this French Canadian one, I think.

Hihi, the Bee Gees and "cool" are two things that somehow don't go together in my head.

I totally agree. Really most of pop in the '70s was associated with being uncool (at least in Canada). A lot of rock acts were also in the top 40 and that's what was branded cool in comparison. I always hated the Bee Gees' falsetto too. Mika's voice is more pleasant although it still grates on me when he overuses a harsh falsetto.

Thanks for the link! :thumb_yello:

He can say so many different things about the same topic. He can be really confusing! :aah:

You're wellcome! :huglove:

Right, but still I beleive him :roftl:

Ah thanks. No wonder I couldn't remember it, I could barely understand it. :naughty:

Remember I was really shocked when I heard twice No for Wham.:naughty:

Did he have a gig on the 25. in Berlin? I don't remember. Why did you freak out? Did the Berliners scare the hell out of you? :roftl:

He had his Berlin gig on the 24. cos I was there, but we stepped deeply into the next day.:aah:

I love them though. Very much. But not Wham. And I adore George Michael.:wub2:

Too many contradictions?:lmfao:

Well, we will never know the truth. :dunno:

Well, if we question everything one says, it is leading to nowhere. :dunno:

I also think that he does happen to change his mind about music. Why not?

yes, like until the age of 24 he had heard no George Michael songs and then suddenly he did..... :roftl: ...

I know that's not what you mean though. It is completely possible he does not like Wham that much but appreciated George Michael as a singer- songwriter. And that is completely in line with the theory discussed above.

He was actually very clear about Queen (strange! but was he being honest? :aah:)..

If you specify what you mean, we can discuss this. I think it is actually a great topic:wink2:

Anyway, an excellent cook never reveals his successful recipes. :naughty:

Well, he does not have to reveal it for everyone to hear it.

He was OBSESSED with that Bo Diddley rhythm in "Faith" . Before the Blackpool gig he started Love today with it, then he sang Faith in the evening and at the tour he put it in Big Birl...:roftl:

Not to mention Touches You, which is basically a George Michael song written by Mika...

So, whether he says it or not, you know what music he likes. Yet, I'd like him to speak more about music he listens to as he can introduce as to many more talented artists we may not have even heard of.

Yes I saw her first gig in North America in 2006 and it was the same. :roftl: But she was also playing a little dive and there was no room to do anything else. Which is the reason why Mika's first gig here (minus the cigarettes and the booze) wasn't a whole lot different. He shook his buns a little bit and pogoed up and down a little bit but there wasn't enough space to do the type of performances he put on in later shows.

Mika's always got one-up on her because he can play an instrument but I saw her again last year when Martin was her guitarist and it was much more high energy with a proper set and costume changes. She's charismatic and gives the audience lots of eye contact like Mika does.

True. She performed last year at the Exit festival and despite her pretty average vocal skills she managed to warm the audience.:biggrin2:

And now she's very popular in my country. Btw, do you know that she is in the hospital for blood poisoning? She lost her baby again in the 6. month of pregnancy. How sad:sad:

Maybe he just hadn't discovered the brilliance of old Wham and Wham Rap yet. :lmfao:

[YOUTUBE]o7Y4F-UPGHw[/YOUTUBE]

Probably not yet, but he still has a plenty of time to discover that fact.:teehee:

He was OBSESSED with that Bo Diddley rhythm in "Faith" . Before the Blackpool gig he started Love today with it, then he sang Faith in the evening and at the tour he put it in Big Birl...:roftl:

Not to mention Touches You, which is basically a George Michael song written by Mika...

So, whether he says it or not, you know what music he likes. Yet, I'd like him to speak more about music he listens to as he can introduce as to many more talented artists we may not have even heard of.

Perhaps he's obsessed not with whole songs but with PARTS of songs, specific melodies or certain kind of rhythmus that he can modify and then write a whole new song that starts there but goes somewhere else? Like some kind of cook, that uses different kinds of spices to create something new? Just an idea.

I totally agree. Really most of pop in the '70s was associated with being uncool (at least in Canada). A lot of rock acts were also in the top 40 and that's what was branded cool in comparison. I always hated the Bee Gees' falsetto too. Mika's voice is more pleasant although it still grates on me when he overuses a harsh falsetto.

Oh boy. Now suzie's gonna kill us both... :roftl:

Perhaps he's obsessed not with whole songs but with PARTS of songs, specific melodies or certain kind of rhythmus that he modify and then write a whole new song that starts there but goes somewhere else? Just an idea.

of course he writes a whole new song, otherwise it would be a cover or he would be sued for plagiarism:wink2:

not right now, need to go home... :biggrin2:

24th! :biggrin2:

Let's say I had a breathtaking experience. :mf_rosetinted:

You're wellcome! :huglove:

Right, but still I beleive him :roftl:

He had his Berlin gig on the 24. cos I was there, but we stepped deeply into the next day.:aah:

I love them though. Very much. But not Wham. And I adore George Michael.:wub2:

Too many contradictions?:lmfao:

Yeah, right, so you two went together for a drink after the gig, met Mika per chance in the same bar and then went with him on a drinking tour through Berlin and woke up the next day in an unknown hotel room. And you don't remember what happened in between. :mf_rosetinted:

Perhaps he's obsessed not with whole songs but with PARTS of songs, specific melodies or certain kind of rhythmus that he can modify and then write a whole new song that starts there but goes somewhere else? Like some kind of cook, that uses different kinds of spices to create something new? Just an idea.

Touches you has some similarities with George Michael's songs, but its programing and quick changes of some beat sections make a distinctive difference between two singers IMO.

I won't kill you anyway but the voices of the Bee Gees brothers created an amazing musical harmony and clicked perfectly for the type of disco songs in 70 tes.:blush-anim-cl:

Yeah, right, so you two went together for a drink after the gig, met Mika per chance in the same bar and then went with him on a drinking tour through Berlin and woke up the next day in an unknown hotel room. And you don't remember what happened in between. :mf_rosetinted:

Something like that. :roftl:

Someone in a cab, the other before the closed airport.:mf_rosetinted::sneaky2:

Are you sure the Bee Gees were uncool? :blink: I have always thought they reflected the fashion at that time. They look like some of my family members in old photos, actually. :lmfao: Perhaps they weren't good-looking, but I guess they were very 1970ish. *needs help from people who experienced the 1970s*

If you specify what you mean, we can discuss this. I think it is actually a great topic:wink2:

I'm not questioning what you say. I'm just saying that it is your interpretation, but you talk as if you were 100% sure. Although I respect your ideas, I do think that you may be wrong sometimes. You know so much about music, but you are not in Mika's head, that's all! And I think Mika is such a good musician ( :punk: ) that it's not easy to understand what he does, especially if you are not a very good musician/music expert yourself.

Mika has made lots of clear statements about Queen. I'm sure you remember most of his interviews. :wink2:

I totally agree! That's what pop music is about nowadays!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

:mf_rosetinted:

Touches you has some similarities with George Michael's songs, but its programing and quick changes of some beat sections make a distinctive difference between two singers IMO.

I agree with you. Sometimes you think you hear similarities but you are mistaken. It's very difficult to state that two songs are similar or the same song. I tried to play some of Mika's melodies people say are identical to melodies of other songs: they are not the same at all! Once you play them on the piano, you can see that the notes are not the same and Mika's melody is not even a variation.

Anyway the same melody in a song is not enough to start talking about plagiarism, especially in pop music.

[QUOTE=laura*;3262394]Are you sure the Bee Gees were uncool? :blink: I have always thought they reflected the fashion at that time. They look like some of my family members in old photos, actually. :lmfao: Perhaps they weren't good-looking, but I guess they were very 1970ish. *needs help from people who experienced the 1970s*

I'm not questioning what you say. I'm just saying that it is your interpretation, but you talk as if you were 100% sure. Although I respect your ideas, I do think that you may be wrong sometimes. You know so much about music, but you are not in Mika's head, that's all! And I think Mika is such a good musician ( :punk: ) that it's not easy to understand what he does, especially if you are not a very good musician/music expert yourself.

Mika has made lots of clear statements about Queen. I'm sure you remember most of his interviews. :wink2:

I totally agree! That's what pop music is about nowadays!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

:mf_rosetinted:

I agree with you. Sometimes you think you hear similarities but you are mistaken. It's very difficult to state that two songs are similar or the same song. I tried to play some of Mika's melodies people say are identical to melodies of other songs: they are not the same at all! Once you play them on the piano, you can see that the notes are not the same and Mika's melody is not even a variation.

Anyway the same melody in a song is not enough to start talking about plagiarism, especially in pop music.

You're right Laura.:thumb_yello:

I'm the best example: had a big crush on Barry Geeb together with my girlie friends pretty long time and he was a looker. He still is.:wub2:

:thumb_yello: The postmodern art and literature actually don't operate with the term plagiarism at all. It belongs to some old times. And Mika is the best example for that method in the contemporary pop music.

You just think you've heard that tune or lyrics somewhere but then realize that it's only an echo and he made a special Mika meal for you.:wink2:

yes, like until the age of 24 he had heard no George Michael songs and then suddenly he did..... :roftl: ...

I know that's not what you mean though. It is completely possible he does not like Wham that much but appreciated George Michael as a singer- songwriter. And that is completely in line with the theory discussed above.

Indeed, I couldn't stick Take That, but absolutely loved Gary Barlows solo stuff:wub2:

I love the fact that so many people visit the shrink thread today, but it makes it so hard to follow all conversations and join in, I am getting dizzy. :roftl: I am like: "Oh, I want to answer to that, but hey, I must answer this one before that and oh..oh...oh....."

Not so important, just go on discussing. :biggrin2:

I love the fact that so many people visit the shrink thread today, but it makes it so hard to follow all conversations and join in, I am getting dizzy. :roftl: I am like: "Oh, I want to answer to that, but hey, I must answer this one before that and oh..oh...oh....."

Not so important, just go on discussing. :biggrin2:

Don't moan, wife. :teehee:

If Mika posted music-related comments in this thread now, he would kick our ass big time! :roftl:

BTW My uncle was probably the fourth secret Bee Gee. :mf_rosetinted:

I'm not questioning what you say. I'm just saying that it is your interpretation, but you talk as if you were 100% sure.

:aah: misunderstood me again.

I said: "Well, if we question everything one says, it is leading to nowhere" as I was referring you questioning what MIKA said. He said it clearly he liked George Michael and I believe he does.

I only used 3rd person singular as I meant it as a general statement despite deriving it from your comment on Mika.

:blink: No, that is plagiarism.

If it is only the chords that are the same (like the idiot's YT video of different songs i.e. melodies played to Pachabel's canon), that is not necessarily plagiarism. For you can have millions of variations in melodies but have only a limited number of chords used.

Therefore, if the melody is the same, it is in no way accidental, you can call your lawyers

As for Touches You, no one said it is plagiarism, neither is his Neil Tennant type of rap in Rain.

Of course the melody is not exactly the same otherwise Mika would have already had to wave goodbye to a large chunk of his royalties. However, anyone with good ears can hear the similarities in the build up of the song and even the lyrics. Such cases are usually referred to "tributes" to a songwriter / band. It is a case of clear influence of an artist on another one's work.

here is an example of Queen's influence of Muse's music:

[YOUTUBE]0Ok0expLH1o[/YOUTUBE]

PS: I am not going to explain it for those who can't hear it.

:aah: misunderstood me again.

I said: "Well, if we question everything one says, it is leading to nowhere" as I was referring you questioning what MIKA said. He said it clearly he liked George Michael and I believe he does.

I only used 3rd person singular as I meant it as a general statement despite deriving it from your comment on Mika.

You are free to believe it. I am free to disagree. :wink2:

:blink: No, that is plagiarism.

If it is only the chords that are the same (like the idiot's YT video of different songs i.e. melodies played to Pachabel's canon), that is not necessarily plagiarism. For you can have millions of variations in melodies but have only a limited number of chords used.

Therefore, if the melody is the same, it is in no way accidental, you can call your lawyers

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. At least in Italy, it doesn't work that way. Perhaps that's how it works in the rest of the world. :dunno:

Most pop songs use melodies from other pop songs or even older songs. An identical melody won't allow you to sue someone here, there are lots of examples. Mediocre singers are those who sing songs composed by people who write songs putting together pieces of pre-existent songs. As those bits are identical, people will immediately be familiar with the songs and will most likely enjoy it after listening to it only a few times. I don't want to write names, but we have a few atm in Italy who became famous thanks to tv shows. :teehee:

There are very interesting articles about plagiarism on the web, but unfortunately the best ones are in Italian:boxed:, it could be that things are different abroad. I don't know.

I'm not sure how much you know about music (can you play an instrument? can you analyse music? :confused: ) but I do think this is a very difficult subject to discuss if you are not a true musician. I have already told you that I'm not interested in discussing musical influences, because I think only a music expert should do that.

You are free to believe whatever you want, but it's just your opinion. :thumb_yello:

Anywhere I don't spend time on this thread to show my knowledge of music. I'm not interested in discussing issues that should only be tackled by professionals. And I feel free to have my own ideas about Mika and his music. I would be interested in listening to Greg Wells talk about this topic and Mika's music. :mf_lustslow:

Archived