The shrink thread Part 2

southeast

I can easily come up with triple the amount of musicians and songs I like - it only has to do with how much one listens to and is familiar with music. ... and of course there are a lot of artists I can't stand for various reasons.

He might have never said he hated anyone but when he doesn't like one's music, he is flattering them on other things, usually. You can easily read between the lines.:wink2:

Yes, exactly, very diplomatic!

Hey, I just saw that Fiona Apple is not on the list yet! Didn't he say in a tweet few months ago after a gig at 5 o'clock in the morning :teehee:how much he loves her song "Paper bag"?

"I was staring at the sky, just lookin' for a star. To pray on or wish on or something like that. I was havin' a sweet fix of a daydream of a boy."

EDIT: Here, I found it:

mikasounds MIKA

"I was starring at the sky, looking for a star, to pray on or wish on or something like that" amazing song

25 Mar

And after that:

mikasounds MIKA

Sorry staRing one r. Can't spell. Who cares. Was born a daft speller. I can carry a tune tho?? Can't sleep. Bugger

25 Mar

Such a sweetie!

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I just saw that Fiona Apple is not on the list yet! Didn't he say in a tweet few months ago after a gig at 5 o'clock in the morning :teehee:how much he loves her song "Paper bag"?

"I was staring at the sky, just lookin' for a star. To pray on or wish on or something like that. I was havin' a sweet fix of a daydream of a boy."

:roftl:really?

Can't remember that, but I believe you and I will add the song to the song list

(the way it works is that if he ever states he loves FA, I will delete the song from the song list and place her name in the "artists Mika likes" list :teehee:

EDIT:

The chorus goes:

"Oh hunger hurts, but I want him so bad, oh it kills

Because I know that I'm a mess that he don't wanna clean up

I got to fold because these hands are just too shaky to hold

Hunger hurts, but starving it works, when it costs too much to love"

:teehee:

to get back to the topic, i'm sure it contributed to mika's resilience that he had such a strong family, especially mother, who supported him in the right ways... (wonder what would have happened if she left him at school that year, he got his ego crushed some more, and maybe not had any early musical training...would he be the same person?)

I've thought about that a lot. Imagine Mama P had instead been the type of person to say something like "grow up Mika, quit your whining. If you didn't act like such a little fag, the other kids wouldn't tease you" and left it at that. :shocked:

Of course Mika deserves credit for his successes both as a child/young adult and today, but knowing the little we know about his upbringing I have to give his mother (and the rest of his family?) a lot of credit.

I've thought about that a lot. Imagine Mama P had instead been the type of person to say something like "grow up Mika, quit your whining. If you didn't act like such a little fag, the other kids wouldn't tease you" and left it at that. :shocked:

Of course Mika deserves credit for his successes both as a child/young adult and today, but knowing the little we know about his upbringing I have to give his mother (and the rest of his family?) a lot of credit.

I just feel like crying when I think about children who has parents and other adults around them with an attitude like that!:emot-sad:

I know we like to think that the insight and apprehension of children and people in common, who isn't following the map, has increased, but has it really?

I don't know much about how it is in other countries but where I live the common knowledge is better than it was many years ago but I'm not sure about how much of this new insight actually is grounded in reality.

There are so many factors, money, time and so on!:blink:

You are right, apparently it is extremely important for kids to have at least one supportive, loving adult (not necessary parents) who gives them help and a hug. This works wonders for the development of resilience.

I was just thinking how strange life is: the first years of one's life are extremely important for one's whole development, life and happiness after that, but exactly in these years people are utterly dependant on one's parents. So if you have bad luck with your parents and family, you can't really do anything against it and they influence your whole life after that. It's so unfair, when you think of it...

Thank you, my dear! Mika seems to like everybody. I have never heard him say he doesn't like a specific music style or musician. He's so diplomatic.

That was exactly my case in the period of adolescency. I had a great support from my parents and some other members of my extended family who are shrinks. That's why I respect Pennimans so much. They did everything to focus on Mika's creativity and amazing artistic skills.:thumb_yello:

Well actually I've heard in a video from Montreal (think it was in 2008) that he explicitly said to interviewer he highly disliked Wham and Bee Gees.:shocked:

And in the recent German video from his 2010 tour he wasn't diplomatic about Tokio Hotel at all.:naughty:

I suspect if Mama P was like that he wouldn't have had some of the issues he did not fitting in with the other children. If his mother was the type to suppress creativity and individuality, I'm thinking he would have had it stamped out of him from an early age and would have learned to blend in better.

I imagine it would be really difficult if the parents weren't on the same page though and you had a father who was giving a conflicting message.

Well actually I've heard in a video from Montreal (think it was in 2008) that he explicitly said to interviewer he highly disliked Wham and Bee Gees.:shocked:

What did he say? I remember him acting sort of offended when someone suggested his music could be compared to Wham but I don't know if it's the same interview because I don't remember him ever saying explicitly that he didn't like another artist. He likes George Michael so I took his reaction to probably mean something other than hating Wham.

I thought his comment about Lily Allen in the LICM DVD was a real dig though. Something about his show being a real effort, unlike hers where she just walks around and talks. :teehee:

Well actually I've heard in a video from Montreal (think it was in 2008) that he explicitly said to interviewer he highly disliked Wham and Bee Gees.:shocked:And in the recent German video from his 2010 tour he wasn't diplomatic about Tokio Hotel at all.:naughty:

Really? :shocked: How strange. I never was a fan of the Bee Gees or Wham (haven't heard enough of their music), but I would think Mika likes them. I would think he doesn't like...I dunno.....Eminem or Beastie Boys or something like that. Nevermind, thanks for telling us this!

And in the recent German video from his 2010 tour he wasn't diplomatic about Tokio Hotel at all.:naughty:

I like him best when he is not diplomatic at all. :glasses3:

That's why I think we don't really know everything about his taste in music. Perhaps we could ask his neighbours what music he plays when he is relaxing at home. :naughty:

You are welcome! And hi, butterflygal! Nice to hear you like the thread!

And yes, there is a lot of information about resilience in the Internet and the press, but it's difficult to find something serious. I think the American Psychological Assosiation is a really good source. I have some stuff in German too, but don't know if everyone can read it. There was a big article on the topic in "Der Spiegel" few months ago as well. :teehee:

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, that "dating resilience" article was interesting too. I guess I should try to develop thicker skin:biggrin2:

I thought his comment about Lily Allen in the LICM DVD was a real dig though. Something about his show being a real effort, unlike hers where she just walks around and talks. :teehee:

I though it was funny how he did the Lily Allen impersonation, because I saw her live before I saw Mika's DVD, and she did just that: walk around the stage with a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other:aah: So maybe he's seen her live? I like Lily by the way...

And after that:

mikasounds MIKA

Sorry staRing one r. Can't spell. Who cares. Was born a daft speller. I can carry a tune tho?? Can't sleep. Bugger25 Mar

Such a sweetie!

Did he really tweet that? :blink: I must have been busy with my Berlin crazy trip. :freak:

Really? :shocked: How strange. I never was a fan of the Bee Gees or Wham (haven't heard enough of their music), but I would think Mika likes them.

No, he most definitely LIKES George Michael and appreciates him as a songwriter for sure. He said it after the Blackpool gig how he chose Faith as he would like to be able to create such brilliant piece of pop music one day...

or something along these lines.... :teehee:

I expect he likes Barry Gibb as a songwriter, too. Who wouldn't? :dunno:

He simply hated the comparison based on the falsetto only.

I remember him acting sort of offended when someone suggested his music could be compared to Wham but I don't know if it's the same interview because I don't remember him ever saying explicitly that he didn't like another artist. He likes George Michael so I took his reaction to probably mean something other than hating Wham.

yes, I think he was just upset a bit how he was compared to Wham! Mika's music might be pop but the concept behind is much deeper and I think that is why he did not like that comparison. :dunno:

However, that was early on (2007) and he has written "How Do You Love Me" since then...:teehee:

Did he really tweet that? :blink: I must have been busy with my Berlin crazy trip. :freak:

Yes, and just to let you know, bugger is a slang swear word here, it can be used instead of damn or other similar expressions.

It's no big deal, my dad always used it, it's always been a kind of swear word here.:thumb_yello:

No, he most definitely LIKES George Michael and appreciates him as a songwriter for sure. He said it after the Blackpool gig how he chose Faith as he would like to be able to create such brilliant piece of pop music one day...

yes, I think he was just upset a bit how he was compared to Wham! Mika's music might be pop but the concept behind is much deeper and I think that is why he did not like that comparison. :dunno:

However, that was early on (2007) and he has written "How Do You Love Me" since then...:teehee:

I would think that would be true, as Barry wrote Islands In The Stream.

Yes, and just to let you know, bugger is a slang swear word here, it can be used instead of damn or other similar expressions.

It's no big deal, my dad always used it, it's always been a kind of swear word here.:thumb_yello:

I was surprised because I know someone who uses the same expression. :wink2: Tsk tsk coincidences! :sneaky2:

Yeah, look at his tweets, 25. March. At least that's what I see on Twitter when I go to his profile. :dunno:

Found it. :thumb_yello: Yep it was my Berlin freak out moment. :roftl:

I would think that would be true, as Barry wrote Islands In The Stream.

yes, exactly. He might not be aware of it, though, as at that radio show he chose the song because Dolly Parton was such a great songwriter...:roftl:

so unlike he read the thread in which we ( I :teehee:) pointed out that it was actually written by BG, he might still attribute that song to someone else.

So many Barry Gibb songs people are unaware of :fisch:

really? I don't remember it. I only saw it once . I must watch it again - it will be such fun.

I have a feeling he can be really bitchy about some famous people privately...:teehee:

He simply hated the comparison based on the falsetto only.

Not to speak in vain: I've just found the link. It' one of his early videos from Canada 2007 and it's in French. Actually he doesn't like Wham but for Bee Gees says "Cool". Check it out:

I though it was funny how he did the Lily Allen impersonation, because I saw her live before I saw Mika's DVD, and she did just that: walk around the stage with a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other:aah: So maybe he's seen her live? I like Lily by the way...

Yes I saw her first gig in North America in 2006 and it was the same. :roftl: But she was also playing a little dive and there was no room to do anything else. Which is the reason why Mika's first gig here (minus the cigarettes and the booze) wasn't a whole lot different. He shook his buns a little bit and pogoed up and down a little bit but there wasn't enough space to do the type of performances he put on in later shows.

Mika's always got one-up on her because he can play an instrument but I saw her again last year when Martin was her guitarist and it was much more high energy with a proper set and costume changes. She's charismatic and gives the audience lots of eye contact like Mika does.

Yes that what my interpretation of it. That he didn't like being pigeonholed with every other artist that sings falsetto or acts camp or whatever. But I don't remember the exact words. Was it a video clip or a written piece?

Not to speak in vain: I've just found the link. It' one of his early videos from Canada 2007 and it's in French. Actually he doesn't like Wham but for Bee Gees says "Cool". Check it out:

Thanks for the link! :thumb_yello:

He can say so many different things about the same topic. He can be really confusing! :aah:

yes, exactly. He might not be aware of it, though, as at that radio show he chose the song because Dolly Parton was such a great songwriter...:roftl:

so unlike he read the thread in which we ( I :teehee:) pointed out that it was actually written by BG, he might still attribute that song to someone else.

So many Barry Gibb songs people are unaware of :fisch:

No More Tears, You don't Bring Me Flowers, Guilty.....:naughty:

Ah thanks. No wonder I couldn't remember it, I could barely understand it. :naughty:

Not to speak in vain: I've just found the link. It' one of his early videos from Canada 2007 and it's in French. Actually he doesn't like Wham but for Bee Gees says "Cool".

I saw it back in 2007 and Christine and I have just explained what we think he might have meant:wink2:

Evidence is in his 2009 interview.

I was surprised because I know someone who uses the same expression. :wink2: Tsk tsk coincidences! :sneaky2:

Found it. :thumb_yello: Yep it was my Berlin freak out moment. :roftl:

Did he have a gig on the 25. in Berlin? I don't remember. Why did you freak out? Did the Berliners scare the hell out of you? :roftl:

Yes that what my interpretation of it. That he didn't like being pigeonholed with every other artist that sings falsetto or acts camp or whatever. But I don't remember the exact words. Was it a video clip or a written piece?

It was a radio interview with BBC, I think.

Archived