New Mika Song in French: "Elle me dit"

mellody

Here's a cover Stella found on Youtube... Look how beautiful the song is only with piano:

[YOUTUBE]YzFEOhJe9Bc[/YOUTUBE]

:wub2:

BTW, I've noticed that the vid doesn't work here, so please click to watch it on Youtube... ;)

oh my Mika, so beautiful! :wub2:

I can't describe how much I admire and appreciate him for taking risks like this. Of course this can be a risk, and I love him for taking it/them :wub2:

Very well said Nina! This song has a new sound and it's the first single he's ever done in French. It shows that he's not afraid to try new things and that he doesnt stay in the same (safe) place for too long. And that proves once again that he's a true artist:wub2:

The same here. The problem with his " more like ordinary voice" is maybe cos he had to adjust singing to the beat which is more predictible than in his English songs.

That's why he didn't have many opportunities to show his great vocal potential here Imo.

That's precisely one of the things I like so much about the voice. His lower than usual voice:wink2:

What a creepy song :aah::roftl: It steals my soul - I automatically press Play after it ends, and can't stop. From the first site EMD looks like nothing very special, but then I find more and more bits that I fascinate.

Maybe it will end up being like Rain, I only started liking it FOR REAL after I've listened to it live. :wink2: Or maybe I'll keep my opinion, and put Elle Me Dit in the "do not listen more than once a day" bag. :naughty:

(and no, the problem for me has nothing to do with the language! Mika singing in french is always a nice thing to hear! :wub2:)

More than agree.

The same here. The problem with his " more like ordinary voice" is maybe cos he had to adjust singing to the beat which is more predictible than in his English songs.

That's why he didn't have many opportunities to show his great vocal potential here Imo.

Agree as well.

Wow great Fran :huglove: I loved it :mf_lustslow:

Big thanks everyone for sharing the news about this fantastic song :flowers2:

Thats such a great find, makes me want to go and play the piano right now!!!

t4p Fran :flowers2:

No problem :wink2:

If it sounded like that and not with Mika's voice made so strange I sure would love it.

And whoever is playing the piano is doing a hell of a job!:wub2:

Not many piano-players are banging like that on the keys, and not many has big skinny hands and an old classical pianos either!:teehee:

I thought exactly the same about the big skinny hands and an old classical piano :roftl:

Just wanted to show you guys that even with this "different" sound, the piano soul is still very Mika :naughty:

Here's a cover Stella found on Youtube... Look how beautiful the song is only with piano:

BTW, I've noticed that the vid doesn't work here, so please click to watch it on Youtube... ;)

Interesting! This song is here only for not many hours, and he made a cover! :blink:

But anyway, I think that Mika's piano version will be totally different - like OFB or some variants of Rain (do you remember beginning at PDP?). More melodic and not a copy of electro-version.

Moreover, the electro-variant will differ at gigs as well, I think.

I.m quite surprised though by the comment about him singing in french. Maybe it's because I'm francophone as well but to me, French is really part of Mika and it,s only natural that he sings in that language.

I just wanted to say a couple of things about this even though I love the French language and I've seen Yelle quite a few times so I can appreciate a bit of French pop. I also really loved his versions of Champs-Élysées, etc. I love his accent and his phrasing and the rhythm of EMD is perfect for the language.

But for me (and perhaps others as well) Mika is an English artist. In my mind he is an American and a Brit. He only lived in France for a few years and perhaps I would have thought it natural for him to make French songs if he'd done it long before now since he has been making music since he was a young teen and he's almost 28.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that his French is not really on par with his English skills and his vocabulary is lacking. That doesn't exactly make for great lyrics. The fact that he needs someone to assist him to write IMO means it's not exactly "natural" for Mika to be writing songs in French.

But anyway that is just my opinion and perhaps Mika sees it as a challenge or just has always wanted to express himself in French and is only now getting the opportunity...but as an English speaker who got into Mika because he's an English artist, I had no expectation nor interest in him doing French songs.

And the truth is I don't want to follow a French artist. It makes me feel disconnected from what he is doing because I don't share the French culture and more importantly I do not understand the nuances of the language. Without the assistance of MFC I would have no real sense of what he was saying in interviews and now even in some of his songs.

But even with MFC's great translations I don't trust the interpretations especially if it's a written interview. In these articles I rarely hear Mika's "voice" and it tells me that either the translations are not really accurate or that Mika is not able to express himself the same way in French or maybe that there is just no way to imagine what someone would have said if they'd said it in English instead.

When this was a novelty and Mika was just doing a couple of really great French interviews in the midst of a million other English ones it was fascinating to watch. But now I can't even remember the last time Mika gave an interview in English. It is always in French or translated from Spanish, etc. and for me it leaves a gaping hole that is not much different than him hiding away and not giving interviews at all.

I'm sure there are many other fans who have this same problem with Mika's English, but the truth of the matter is that if Mika wasn't an English artist I never would have been interested in him, most likely would not have even heard of him. So it's disappointing to see him going in a different direction. (I am not saying I'm disappointed in Mika, just the way his popularity is turning out in various countries that is creating this shift.)

I think Mika is wise to nurture markets where he is popular because they are his bread and butter and if he doesn't keep them happy and interested he will struggle for the resources to branch out into other markets. But I also wonder if the English markets have turned away from Mika BECAUSE he is catering to the tastes of other European countries like France and not that Mika has to turn to France because he's not getting enough attention from the English markets. I started to notice this as soon as he gave up the Converse, hoodies and skinny jeans for the Louboutins, tight jackets and the even tighter curls. :naughty:

Maybe Mika is just doing what Mika loves and who he is and what he loves appeals to France and other Euro countries but it's never going to appeal to British and American culture. But it still makes me sad because I just had a totally different sense of Mika and a vision of his future and things are looking very different now. When the only new music from him in a year or two is a French song, it really drives that point home.

wow, that would be a great version to play live:wub2:

When this was a novelty and Mika was just doing a couple of really great French interviews in the midst of a million other English ones it was fascinating to watch. But now I can't even remember the last time Mika gave an interview in English. It is always in French or translated from Spanish, etc. and for me it leaves a gaping hole that is not much different than him hiding away and not giving interviews at all.

I'm sure there are many other fans who have this same problem with Mika's English, but the truth of the matter is that if Mika wasn't an English artist I never would have been interested in him, most likely would not have even heard of him. So it's disappointing to see him going in a different direction. (I am not saying I'm disappointed in Mika, just the way his popularity is turning out in various countries that is creating this shift.)

I think Mika is wise to nurture markets where he is popular because they are his bread and butter and if he doesn't keep them happy and interested he will struggle for the resources to branch out into other markets. But I also wonder if the English markets have turned away from Mika BECAUSE he is catering to the tastes of other European countries like France and not that Mika has to turn to France because he's not getting enough attention from the English markets. I started to notice this as soon as he gave up the Converse, hoodies and skinny jeans for the Louboutins, tight jackets and the even tighter curls. :naughty:

Maybe Mika is just doing what Mika loves and who he is and what he loves appeals to France and other Euro countries but it's never going to appeal to British and American culture. But it still makes me sad because I just had a totally different sense of Mika and a vision of his future and things are looking very different now. When the only new music from him in a year or two is a French song, it really drives that point home.

I can't even remember the last time i read an article in English about Mika :naughty:

But what you say is true :no:

thomson-reuters-logo_normal.jpg

I consider MIKA a

timeless,

global,

international

mega star

not limited to

any time or place.

He is not an international megastar. And if he persists with a focus on France and French tastes it's going to stay that way. :dunno:

First I want to say that I always enjoy reading your posts, Christine :thumb_yello: They are always well thought and after reading this I can perfectly understand how you feel!

I bolded a part of your post. I think you can be right, I almost hope you are right, because this is one very strong reason I love him so much and why I follow his career. It's something I admire in him, I think it makes him special. I wish I could explain this properly. And I love everything British, it's actually my favorite country (lol, just wanted to add this, it's nothing to do with it).

I can't understand little nuances in his lyrics even if they are in English. But it doesn't make me stupid and I feel I can appreciate his music as much as the rest of his fans. I can't understand French a bit, but it gives me opportunity to discuss about the lyrics/his French/his singing in French with native speakers and I find it very interesting (but I can understand everyone is not willing to do the same or doesn't even find it interesting).

Edited by tiibet

I can't understand French a bit, but it gives me opportunity to discuss about the lyrics/his French/his singing in French with native speakers and I find it very interesting (but I can understand everyone is not willing to do the same or doesn't find it even interesting).

I like discussing the lyrics with people but I do not like having to substitute my own judgements and perceptions for someone else's, which is what you are forced to do in a situation like that. If someone brings up a point I'd never considered about an English lyric (or a statement he's made in an interview) then I can assess it and determine whether there is any merit in what they are saying. If it's in another language I just have to take their word for it.

The discussion about gai/gay is a case in point. Does it mean happy? Somehow I doubt it but how can I really say when I have never even heard of the word "gai" muchless educated in its meanings and usage? I saw Cath (I think) saying that "gai" means the same thing in Quebecois French as it does in English but then she deferred to the French for their interpretation. But do we even know that Mika would use whatever is correct or common in French French? He has said that he has left his mistakes included and since (I've heard) that Mika's vocabulary is a bit limited can we not expect him to use some direct English translations rather than the proper French term?

thomson-reuters-logo_normal.jpg

I consider MIKA a

timeless,

global,

international

mega star

not limited to

any time or place.

That is highly unrealistic, but it's fun to imagine. :aah:

He is not an international megastar. And if he persists with a focus on France and French tastes it's going to stay that way. :dunno:

He was RAISED in France, and he has said that living in France was really good most of the time, so... I mean, he himself isn't really French, but the place matters to him.

He has a concert there soon, of course he's doing French based stuff.

He was RAISED in France, and he has said that living in France was really good most of the time, so... I mean, he himself isn't really French, but the place matters to him.

He wasn't raised in France. He left when he was 8 or 9 years old and has been raised by American parents who are anglophones. I don't know about you but, condensed altogether, I can barely remember an hour of my life up to that point. I didn't start developing a real sense of self and forging proper relationships with my peers, etc. until I was at least 11 years old.

Anyway I am not disputing whether France is important to Mika or not. It's just that I don't perceive him as a French artist at all because up to this point he has not produced any work in French. When I discovered Mika he was touted as a British American, his work was entirely in English and he was performing in London and NYC every 3 months. Now we are looking at 2 or 3 years between his gigs in the US and UK. That was just unfathomable to me in 2007 and it's obviously a huge disappointment. I don't want to have to go to France to see Mika.

as far as the french song is concerned, there is NO way to make it sounds good or make any sense of it via translation.

i believe that if something is done in a certain language, it shouldn't be translated at all. the meaning, the feeling, the quirkiness is gone. Elle me dit sounds good in french, but when i read the english translation, it's awful :naughty: (of course there is always exceptions to this)

(for the record, i do not watch english movies translated in french & i don't watch french movies translated in english. the original meaning is gone. that being said, yes, i do have the advantage of understanding both, so this is perhaps just relevant to me :naughty: )

But the same applies to Grace Kelly. It should have NEVER been translated to french. it's awful, makes no sense & the "je ne sais quoi" that appealed to so many when sang in english, is gone. to my ears, it sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard. :teehee:

same goes for "elle me dit" the "word on play" fun element of this song is gone. if i didn't speak french, i think i would just prefer knowing the basic meaning of it & then enjoy the rhythm.

about the gai/gay thing.... i will never know for sure what he meant, but since he is english, he probably meant "gay"... but gay also has the meaning of "being lame", as scg pointed out & to me, that makes more sense.

I still think that "Elle me dit" was probably not meant to be released so soon, but it was decided to do so, in order to help ticket sale for Compiegne. I think the French media made it into something alot bigger then it really is, as far as french versus english music for Mika.

I think in this case, it was a great marketing move for France. no more, no less.

With my Quebec french, i noticed 3 mistakes... now maybe in France, some of these are acceptable, i don't know.

1) chanson contente .... a song can't be contente... a person can be "contente" but not a song. it should have been "joyeuse", but that doesn't rime. :naughty: so my alternative word would have been "dansante" (which means a dancy song) that would have worked.

2) taper dans un ballon ... i would have said "taper sur un ballon" we do not hit "in" a ball, but "on" a ball

3) sur internet .... i would have said "sur l'internet" like we go "on the internet"

but like i said, maybe it's different in France :dunno: