European Travel HeLp

HollyD

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never encountered any rude people in Paris but you have to attempt to speak French. :wink2:

I don't know where the French got this reputation from. We've only ever met nice, kind, helpful people in France.

I don't know where the French got this reputation from. We've only ever met nice, kind, helpful people in France.

don't know either, never heard that actually apart from in american films or series they show over here

Yes stereotypes are funny. Canadians have a reputation for being ridiculously polite but the people I run into on the streets of Toronto everyday are rude $*&***!! :sneaky2: Basically the only reason anyone even speaks to you is because they want something - usually money.

i don't think that either, i think it's mostly up to the way people act themselves and if someone acts rude, people act rude back. If you're nice they'll be nice back... that's what i think anyway :)

Sorry, I am at work and crazy busy today eeekkkk! Everytime I try to type another client comes prancing in!!! :naughty: I have never been out of the country YET. But, I agree with you 100% I totally beleive it is all in the way a person conducts and presents themselves as to the way they are in turn treated! I would NEVER conduct myself ANYWHERE else the way I do here! Here I can be a crude vulgar American - and no one even notices cause they are all the very same way!!! :teehee: Just kidding - I have manners and I know HOW and when to use them!!!! :wink2:

Can I ask why you have Dublin on your list?

Of course, would be delighted to help you in any way I can. :thumb_yello:

Austin made the list - and of course, I agree because everywhere he wants to go is everywhere I want to go! Is there perhaps a different PART of Ireland that you think we would be better off going to? I am totally open to other suggestions. The MAIN thing is we go to 'Ireland' I'm sure he would go elsewhere IN Ireland!!! :biggrin2:

Holly you will be fine in Western Europe, but if the government is issuing warnings for places like Russia or the Middle East I think you have to heed the warnings. I don't think it's so much a case of Americans being hated by anyone...it's just that the foreign governments have different rules/rights/penalties and the US government may have a hard time assisting you if there is a problem. I think people have the idea that if they get into trouble in a foreign country that the US government is going to swoop in and save them but if you break the law somewhere there probably isn't anything they can do for you.

But like I said you will be perfectly safe in western Europe so don't worry about going to places like Paris.

The scary thing to ME is - Paris was the biggest warning of ALL. (not even the middle east) If Austin had it his way - we would be all over the middle east ... but he has to be realistic - I think I am getting through to him. He has BIG plans for the future and if anyone in this world could/has EVER 'made it' Austin is going to make it!!! So, he has the rest of his life and a very bright future to be a world traveler. I understand his excitement, but we have to be real. And for me, this may just be a once in a lifetime trip. It is expensive on a scale I can't even imagine - and we are using our LIFE saving for it ... but, it is SO worth it. I wish he would narrow it down to like 3 countries. So we could actually enjoy ourselves instead of running crazy. But, it is his trip - I am just along for the glorious ride.

I just found this thread, I would be happy to help you for any French information, even if I don't live in Paris.

:shocked: What do you mean not safe? It's true that you will probably encounter rude people (a lot of Parisians are fed up about tourists) but it's not just with Americans; and I don't think there is a particular security problem than in any other big city..

Thank you. :biggrin2: I am not really too scared to go - and Austin has no fears at all .... after my research it was a bit eeekkkk .... but, I knew the MFCers would put my mind at ease!!! :wub2:

Yes stereotypes are funny. Canadians have a reputation for being ridiculously polite but the people I run into on the streets of Toronto everyday are rude $*&***!! :sneaky2: Basically the only reason anyone even speaks to you is because they want something - usually money.

Well we won't go into the reputation the Irish have. :roftl:

Holly what are they saying about Paris? Do you have a link?

I find I have to be a little more cautious in London because of pickpockets and that kind of thing, but I always feel safe in any half decent part of town. I think European cities are probably safer than a lot of places in the US so for you it wouldn't be an issue at all.

I used to pull out the rude American thing when Brits were jerking me around. Sometimes you get people who are really sarcastic and condescending and generally the customer service there is appalling compared to the US. If I got fed up I would start my loud/rude American routine and they would back down. :roftl:

Well we won't go into the reputation the Irish have. :roftl:

bahahhahah! I know what kind of reputation Americans have - and for the MOST part it is pretty darn accurate! But, like in ANY situation or circumstance in life - there are always exceptions to any rule ... and not all Americans are bad. :naughty: Especially the AWESOME open-minded ones that lluurrvveee MIKA!!! :das: I think for the most part all-in-all MIKA fans (and particularly MFCers) are one in the same .... if they come from the U.S. or half way across the world. We are 'different'. We are a loving and accepting bunch. Accepting of other cultures and religions and thoughts different from our own. Austin and I SO fit into the stereotypical MFCer type. My whole family does! We are just a bunch of bare-foot hippies who love everyone and want world peace! :roftl:

Holly what are they saying about Paris? Do you have a link?

I find I have to be a little more cautious in London because of pickpockets and that kind of thing, but I always feel safe in any half decent part of town. I think European cities are probably safer than a lot of places in the US so for you it wouldn't be an issue at all.

I used to pull out the rude American thing when Brits were jerking me around. Sometimes you get people who are really sarcastic and condescending and generally the customer service there is appalling compared to the US. If I got fed up I would start my loud/rude American routine and they would back down. :roftl:

I will do my best to find what I found yesterday.

You are right there are SO many places in America that are SO unsafe! I mean when I got home and told my family that Lucy and I spent an entire night on a New York City sidewalk they were like :jawdrop: ARE YOU CRAZY! And then when we told them all the stuff we saw/witnessed/heard that night they REALLY thought we had lost all our marbles!!!! But, it was an experience that neither one of us will forget for the rest of our lives and I told it all to my kids and I am sure one day they will tell the story of their crazy mother to their kids! :naughty: I'm pretty brave to be SUCH a :chkn: ****

Hi Holly - all sounds very exciting! :biggrin2:

I would agree with what others are saying about Russia. If Austin really really wants to go there I would say that it is better to do it as a special trip later on. It isn't easy to get a visa and it is expensive to do so. They literally want to know everything down to the colour of your underwear. It is far more complicated than getting a passport.

It isn't easy when you are there (asuming that neither of you speak Russian) as everyything is in Russian (like the underground stations/ the street signs/maps etc).

That said, going to Moscow was one of the best experiences of my life and I would strongly recommend it if anyone gets the opportunity. But don't expect it to be easy that's all.

Good luck with all your plans - it sounds amazing! I love planning trips - it is so exciting. I hope you are enjoying it!

:shocked: How could I forget the most important thing :doh:

chocolate-shop-brussels-belgium-shutterstock_27574126-600.jpg

:drool: Chocolate... Yuuummmmm....

I think people have the idea that if they get into trouble in a foreign country that the US government is going to swoop in and save them but if you break the law somewhere there probably isn't anything they can do for you.

Some Aussie people think that too...

I never encountered any rude people in Paris but you have to attempt to speak French. :wink2:

I've heard that. I fully intend on attempting to speak French when I'm there next month... Of course I'll probably end up massacring their language, but anyways...

Huh. Well you've totally ruined my perception of Canadians then. :blink:

I have nothing to offer, except have a great time and remember to be careful. :thumb_yello:

Thank you everyone!!! :huglove:

I suppose I didn't quite realize JUST how complicated things are. :doh:

I found another route that just might be a perfect fit for someone traveling over seas for the very first time .... I found a Tour - and there are ALL sorts of options. Even a 'Grand Tour of Europe' that covers pretty much everything we want. There is also a Russian Tour and it sounds just amazing! I don't think I could attempt Russia on my own but with this guided tour it is a possibility! It includes round trip airfare all lodging and transportation and a large majority of your meals. And basically the same price (if not a bit cheaper then us trying to do all this on our own) :thumb_yello: I think it would be the perfect fit for people as clueless as we are. And perhaps after this we will get the hang of overseas traveling and when we go back in a few years - we can manage! :naughty:

I am so happy and excited! Now we just have to find the tour that will be the right fit for us. It's SO hard when you want to see the WHOLE world :roftl:

So .... all of you who have been lucky enough to travel - where are some of the 'GOTTA SEE IN YOUR LIFETIME' places?!?!? :biggrin2:

Austin says Rome is a must. But, he is going to have to choose Rome or Russia cause he can't do both on this trip!

We started out REALLY wanting to go to Germany (I still do)! Our ancestors migrated from Germany and settled in America, down in the South Yall. We have always wanted to see WHERE we came from! :fangurl: But, with this obsession Austin has with Russia ... who knows WHERE we will end up. I think it is safe to say that this will definitley NOT be his only trip to Europe! :naughty:

These tours are a mixture of guided with free time to roam yourself. Has anyone ever been on a tour for vacation before? I so wonder what it will be like!!!

Thank you everyone!!! :huglove:

I suppose I didn't quite realize JUST how complicated things are. :doh:

I found another route that just might be a perfect fit for someone traveling over seas for the very first time .... I found a Tour - and there are ALL sorts of options. Even a 'Grand Tour of Europe' that covers pretty much everything we want. There is also a Russian Tour and it sounds just amazing! I don't think I could attempt Russia on my own but with this guided tour it is a possibility! It includes round trip airfare all lodging and transportation and a large majority of your meals. And basically the same price (if not a bit cheaper then us trying to do all this on our own) :thumb_yello: I think it would be the perfect fit for people as clueless as we are. And perhaps after this we will get the hang of overseas traveling and when we go back in a few years - we can manage! :naughty:

I am so happy and excited! Now we just have to find the tour that will be the right fit for us. It's SO hard when you want to see the WHOLE world :roftl:

So .... all of you who have been lucky enough to travel - where are some of the 'GOTTA SEE IN YOUR LIFETIME' places?!?!? :biggrin2:

Austin says Rome is a must. But, he is going to have to choose Rome or Russia cause he can't do both on this trip!

We started out REALLY wanting to go to Germany (I still do)! Our ancestors migrated from Germany and settled in America, down in the South Yall. We have always wanted to see WHERE we came from! :fangurl: But, with this obsession Austin has with Russia ... who knows WHERE we will end up. I think it is safe to say that this will definitley NOT be his only trip to Europe! :naughty:

These tours are a mixture of guided with free time to roam yourself. Has anyone ever been on a tour for vacation before? I so wonder what it will be like!!!

BOLIVIA.

I think when you go with a guided tour, you have to keep in mind that you have to adapt now and then and also that there might be people on that tour you don't like. You will stuck with them for the rest of the tour. For some people that's not a problem, for others it is. Going on your own gives you all the freedom to do whatever you want. :wink2:

I am a firm believer in doing your own thing. I even drove around Africa on my own. You can sit quietly at a watering hole all day and the animals forget you are there and start going about their normal business. I felt sorry for the people on huge coach buses that scared the animals and they were on a restricted timetable.

Having said that it may be the best option for you Holly, especially Russia and especially if it's more cost effective. You're sort of running out of time too and I think it would be a lot of work to plan your own itinerary like this to carry out in June. Especially since the longer you wait to buy train tickets, etc. the more expensive it's going to be.

For me London and Paris would be must-sees. I also loved Venice but I'm sure you wouldn't regret going to Rome instead if that's your option.

BOLIVIA.

I think when you go with a guided tour, you have to keep in mind that you have to adapt now and then and also that there might be people on that tour you don't like. You will stuck with them for the rest of the tour. For some people that's not a problem, for others it is. Going on your own gives you all the freedom to do whatever you want. :wink2:

I honestly see the pros and cons with each for sure! Being with others though I don't see being a problem/issue/or uncomfortable at all. Austin is SUCH a 'people person' and he likes to talk to everyone. There is no one he has ever met that he had a problem getting along with, or whom did not completely enjoy his company or talking to him. He is SO much better with the social skills then I am. He is amazing! :fangurl:

I would LOVE to be able to do it on our own and at our leisure and pace - but, we are not equipped enough to handle it on our own - not yet. After this trip - I am confident that will change! :biggrin2: The BEST thing is - there are SO many different tours and different types of tours - finding one that fits you best is just a matter of searching and searching until you find the ONE. And you don't have to be guided at all time - there are days of free time ... and I know that would be of great advantage!!! :thumb_yello:

I am a firm believer in doing your own thing. I even drove around Africa on my own. You can sit quietly at a watering hole all day and the animals forget you are there and start going about their normal business. I felt sorry for the people on huge coach buses that scared the animals and they were on a restricted timetable.

Having said that it may be the best option for you Holly, especially Russia and especially if it's more cost effective. You're sort of running out of time too and I think it would be a lot of work to plan your own itinerary like this to carry out in June. Especially since the longer you wait to buy train tickets, etc. the more expensive it's going to be.

For me London and Paris would be must-sees. I also loved Venice but I'm sure you wouldn't regret going to Rome instead if that's your option.

Hahhah I have a very vivid mental picture of that scene in Africa Christine!!! :roftl:

Yes, it would be best for us - we are SO inexperienced! I am not running out of time though - I am right on track ... we are going NEXT june (not this one) :biggrin2: And thank goodness - because you have to book the tours 6 months to a year in advance! ESPECIALLY for Russia - having to get a visa and all. I found a Grand Tour of Europe and it sounds amazing! Lots of free time too and all accomodations and transportation is luxury --- ooohhh la la! :naughty: Regardless we are going to have a blast - because just like any situation in life - IT IS what you make it!!! And we are going to be in awe! :wub2:

we are going NEXT june (not this one) :biggrin2:

Ah, okay that's good. :thumb_yello: I would recommend doing some "on your own" time in London if you can because you should be able to get along pretty easily there.

I have never been on a tour. But I agree that for you it sounds like a good idea. Good luck in finding the one that suits you - I will be very interested to see what you decide.

Yes, I would absolutely put London forward as a must see. After that - you are spoilt for choice really and I am sure that the places that either you or Austin REALLY want to go to are going to be the best options - rather than settling for second best.

I have never been to Rome but it is on my 'must do' list. I didn't get to Paris until Mika did PDP and I was totally blown away with the place - I love it.

Ah, okay that's good. :thumb_yello: I would recommend doing some "on your own" time in London if you can because you should be able to get along pretty easily there.

I agree! I think an equal balance of tour time and your own time is very important and essential for the best experience possible!!! And also the way it works you get a glimpse at how things are - and then you feel more confident to go it on your own! That is one of the main things we are looking for ... a good balance.

I have never been on a tour. But I agree that for you it sounds like a good idea. Good luck in finding the one that suits you - I will be very interested to see what you decide.

Yes, I would absolutely put London forward as a must see. After that - you are spoilt for choice really and I am sure that the places that either you or Austin REALLY want to go to are going to be the best options - rather than settling for second best.

I have never been to Rome but it is on my 'must do' list. I didn't get to Paris until Mika did PDP and I was totally blown away with the place - I love it.

It truly is the best for us. And hopefully it will be a great experience and we can recommend it to other first time travelers. I think once we get the hang of things there will never be a need to travel in such a 'sheltered manner', if you will. But for our first time - it is really the only way I feel completely comfortable about EVERY aspect of it.

You are right. When spending that type of money there should be no settling for second best! I just know that Austin and I are both going to fall in love - and I can totally see a trip to Europe every year. We like to explore - it is truly in our blood! Literally William Clark from the famous 'Lewis & Clark Expedition' is our direct relative. We (or should I just say I) am not quite as brave though :naughty:

THIS June we are going on a nice little family vacation to the Smokey Mountains of North Carolina. I went there when I was a child and it is SO beautiful. I can't wait for my kids to get to experience such a wonderful vacation! We rented a two-story log cabin. And I finally get to take my kids to see the Biltmore House! We can't wait! :clap:

It truly is the best for us. And hopefully it will be a great experience and we can recommend it to other first time travelers. I think once we get the hang of things there will never be a need to travel in such a 'sheltered manner', if you will. But for our first time - it is really the only way I feel completely comfortable about EVERY aspect of it. You are right. When spending that type of money there should be no settling for second best! I just know that Austin and I are both going to fall in love - and I can totally see a trip to Europe every year. We like to explore - it is truly in our blood! Literally William Clark from the famous 'Lewis & Clark Expedition' is our direct relative. We (or should I just say I) am not quite as brave though :naughty: THIS June we are going on a nice little family vacation to the Smokey Mountains of North Carolina. I went there when I was a child and it is SO beautiful. I can't wait for my kids to get to experience such a wonderful vacation! We rented a two-story log cabin. And I finally get to take my kids to see the Biltmore House! We can't wait! :clap:

I am really pleased for you. I am a traveller (You would never have guessed would you :wink2:) but as far as I know I don't have any famous explorers in my ancestory. :naughty: But I didn't board a plane until I was 18. I trained in childcare primarily so that I could become a nanny and travel. My first flight at the age of 18 was with a four year old and a four month old from london to Miami - quite a batism of fire. :naughty:

Yor trip this summer sounds really lovely. The Smokey Mountains sound fantastic!