European Travel HeLp

HollyD

I am planning a trip for Austin a.k.a Iron_Man as his graduation gift!!! :clap: He and I are going to be traveling to some of the places we have wanted to visit our entire lives!!! There are SO many places we want to see - we had to narrow it down QUITE a bit :crybaby: I am mostly upset about Montreux being scratched off the list! :sad:

We are VERY :excite:

I have the internet to research and gather info. but I need as much help as I can get and there is no one better then MFCers for that!!!!

ANY info would be so very much appreciated!!!

Must see sights, places, things - best places to eat - best areas to stay the night in - Austin wants a sense of the culture in each place ... so any 'local info' would be amazing! Any significant places of beauty or spirituality ... OH AND A BIGGIE - transportation ... what is the best (easiest) way to get around from place to place!!! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!! :huglove:

Places we are going for sure:

Dublin, Ireland

Rome, Italy

London, England

Berlin, Germany

Paris, France

Athens, Greece

Moscow, Russia

Edited by HollyD

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow that is quite an itinerary! :shocked: I have been to Dublin, Paris and Berlin but I only really know London because I lived there. I'll dig up some of my old posts about it because I've already gathered some info.

When are you planning on going? The Olympics are on in July so that's not a good time to go to London. :aah:

Holy cow that is quite an itinerary! :shocked: I have been to Dublin, Paris and Berlin but I only really know London because I lived there. I'll dig up some of my old posts about it because I've already gathered some info.

When are you planning on going? The Olympics are on in July so that's not a good time to go to London. :aah:

Bawahahhaha YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT before we narrowed it down!!! :lmfao:

AWESOME!!! :clap:

We are dumb clueless Americans ... *how does one NOT appear to be a clueless American tourist* :teehee: I think it is impossible NOT to stick out like a sore thumb ... unless you are an experienced traveler that is!!! :roftl:

We are going NEXT June!! Had to avoid the olympics!! :naughty: We have time to get everything in order! We still do not even HAVE passports - but, we are already working on that one!!!

Ah good. You will probably need a visa for Russia so you should check into that if you haven't already.

Oh MY goodness!!! THANKS ... see I had NO clue! Wow. Checking into that! We might have to skip Russia ... (Austin would MURDER me) :naughty:

Sounds like a pain in the a$$ :shocked::

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1006.html#entry_requirements

I think you are fine for all the other countries though and they will give you a visa when you enter by stamping it on your passport. Most countries will let you stay for 90 days as a visitor.

In Paris, Montmartre is a must for sure. If only for the stunning Sacré Coeur :thumb_yello: And if you don't mind being a real obvious tourist: go on a boat ride by night on the Seine! I loved that! I loved it much more when it was dark because of the flickering lights on the eiffel tower! Super romantic :wub2:

If you're into museums: the obvious would be the Louvre, but I loved Musée d'Orsay SO much more. Stunning building as well :thumb_yello: I quite loved Centre Pompidou as well :original:

Oh I went to Musée d'Orsay as well. I didn't know the Louvre was free on Sundays so the queue was horrendous (outside in 30°C blazing sunshine) and I heard there was also a queue inside to see the Mona Lisa. We decided to skip it and go to d'Orsay. I really liked it too. :thumb_yello:

In Paris, Montmartre is a must for sure. If only for the stunning Sacré Coeur :thumb_yello: And if you don't mind being a real obvious tourist: go on a boat ride by night on the Seine! I loved that! I loved it much more when it was dark because of the flickering lights on the eiffel tower! Super romantic :wub2:

If you're into museums: the obvious would be the Louvre, but I loved Musée d'Orsay SO much more. Stunning building as well :thumb_yello: I quite loved Centre Pompidou as well :original:

when i was in the louvre, the queu's were ok, but i was in there for over 7 hours lol. And there's lots of rooms where there's almost no people, cause almost every one goes to see the Mona Lisa, (while imo that's not the best piece in there :blush-anim-cl:)

Loved Musée d'orsay too.

and indeed the sacrée coeur.

also did that boatride twice, once by day and once by night, i also preferred night :teehee:

Places we are going for sure:

Dublin, Ireland

Rome, Italy

London, England

Berlin, Germany

Paris, France

Athens, Greece

Moscow, Russia

Holly, this is some itinerary. It will cost quite a bit, I would think. You might be better going to one of the Baltic countries rather than Moscow (they might not let you back in the USA :naughty:).

Holly, this is some itinerary. It will cost quite a bit, I would think. You might be better going to one of the Baltic countries rather than Moscow (they might not let you back in the USA :naughty:).

Or Croatia. I've never been there, but I've heard that's a real beautiful country and not too expensive. :wink2:

Tallinn (Estonia) is very beautiful. Loved the contrast between the "old town" and the "big" city. It was quite a big culture shock for me though. Then again, it would be the same with Russia I suppose :teehee: There's a GREAT coffee/chocolate shop called: Pierre Chocolaterie. Seriously. It's the best. This coffee shop has such a great interior. A mishmash of all kinds of vintage furniture, lots of velvet, lamp shades. It's such a cosy atmosphere. And the hot chocolate... Well.. No words :aah:Click. Another great thing about Tallinn: just a boat ride/ferry away from Helsinki. Really worth the trip. Helsinki is fab!

Anyway, that's about Tallinn :naughty: Not what you asked :aah:

This site may come in handy: http://www.spottedbylocals.com/#

Sounds like a pain in the a$$ :shocked::

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1006.html#entry_requirements

I think you are fine for all the other countries though and they will give you a visa when you enter by stamping it on your passport. Most countries will let you stay for 90 days as a visitor.

Wow. I did hours and hours of research yesterday (in between work :teehee:) and boy oh boy! :shocked: I think it is safe to say our trip will not include Russia. Austin is p.o.ed but - hey that's life. I told him he can go there when he is 30! :naughty: Other then wanting to go to Russia I think we are going to be okay! Russia means A LOT to Austin - he even has the Russian National Anthem on his iPod! :freak: Maybe this will just be something that motivates his further to get there one day!!! :thumb_yello:

Thanks for your help Christine!!! :huglove:

You're welcome!

If he loves Russia so much then maybe it would be better for him to plan a special trip there. You've already got a huge itinerary as it is. How long are you planning to stay? If it's only a couple of weeks you may want to reconsider Greece as well since there is so much to do while you're in western Europe.

He's so young and you are as well Holly. You may find that once you've been, it doesn't seem like it's something you can only manage once in your life and you'll get back to Europe another day.

Oh I went to Musée d'Orsay as well. I didn't know the Louvre was free on Sundays so the queue was horrendous (outside in 30°C blazing sunshine) and I heard there was also a queue inside to see the Mona Lisa. We decided to skip it and go to d'Orsay. I really liked it too. :thumb_yello:

THANKS guys!!!! :biggrin2:

Paris is like the city of dreams to me! :fangurl: I have to admit though, and especially after researching yesterday - I am a bit afraid. It just does not seem safe for an American tourist. Which always has me wondering ... is our government just trying to keep up scared little Americans who are afraid of the rest of the world? You should read some of the stuff I came across ... and not just random people's blogs or something like that - I am talking government warnings and precautions ... terrifying! It is NO WONDER that less then 30% of ALL Americans even HAVE a passport. It is instilled inside of us from birth that if we leave our country it would mean certain death. That the WHOLE WIDE WORLD utterly HATES Americans. Personally I think it is a bunch of bologna! I want to break the vicious cycle - and break through the stereotypical walls that have been built around us about the rest of the world. Austin and I don't fear the world or the people. It is said to Americans if you travel abroad everyone is going to treat you terribly and be nothing but rude and nasty to you. I just can't beleive that.

Paris is like the city of dreams to me! :fangurl: I have to admit though, and especially after researching yesterday - I am a bit afraid. It just does not seem safe for an American tourist. Which always has me wondering ... is our government just trying to keep up scared little Americans who are afraid of the rest of the world? You should read some of the stuff I came across ... and not just random people's blogs or something like that - I am talking government warnings and precautions ... terrifying! It is NO WONDER that less then 30% of ALL Americans even HAVE a passport. It is instilled inside of us from birth that if we leave our country it would mean certain death. That the WHOLE WIDE WORLD utterly HATES Americans. Personally I think it is a bunch of bologna! I want to break the vicious cycle - and break through the stereotypical walls that have been built around us about the rest of the world. Austin and I don't fear the world or the people. It is said to Americans if you travel abroad everyone is going to treat you terribly and be nothing but rude and nasty to you. I just can't beleive that.

i don't think that either, i think it's mostly up to the way people act themselves and if someone acts rude, people act rude back. If you're nice they'll be nice back... that's what i think anyway :)

Holly you will be fine in Western Europe, but if the government is issuing warnings for places like Russia or the Middle East I think you have to heed the warnings. I don't think it's so much a case of Americans being hated by anyone...it's just that the foreign governments have different rules/rights/penalties and the US government may have a hard time assisting you if there is a problem. I think people have the idea that if they get into trouble in a foreign country that the US government is going to swoop in and save them but if you break the law somewhere there probably isn't anything they can do for you.

But like I said you will be perfectly safe in western Europe so don't worry about going to places like Paris.

Paris is like the city of dreams to me! :fangurl: I have to admit though, and especially after researching yesterday - I am a bit afraid. It just does not seem safe for an American tourist. Which always has me wondering ... is our government just trying to keep up scared little Americans who are afraid of the rest of the world?

I just found this thread, I would be happy to help you for any French information, even if I don't live in Paris.

:shocked: What do you mean not safe? It's true that you will probably encounter rude people (a lot of Parisians are fed up about tourists) but it's not just with Americans; and I don't think there is a particular security problem than in any other big city..