Entertainment Wise Interview (full)

LaraMay

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/81283/Mika-Justin-Bieber-Has-Really-Soft-Hands

Singer/songwriter Mika may have been off the showbiz radar for a little while now, however the 'Grace Kelly' star is set to make a big comeback with his brand new single 'Celebrate', featuring Pharrell Williams and Entertainmentwise couldn't wait to have a catch up with the eccentric star in his London home to find out exactly where he's been hiding and what's to come in the near future...

On Twitter we've been getting messages from concerned fans asking how you are, how are you?

I'm ok, my throat's just tired. I've been doing these crazy back to back shows. It's just the beginning of a campaign, after not touring for a year, but it's fine.

Does it freak you out a little that people know so much about you?

Yeah, well I was supposed to be doing a shoot this morning but I had to go and get it checked out so I think they tweeted that I was ill, so I was like 'Here we go, there's going to be a stream of 'why are you ill?' questions.

New look ready for the comeback. Is it just a hair cut or do you actually feel like you've changed as a person?

In some ways it's a change and in other ways it's a development. When you have a career and if you don't have goals and aspirations it kind of just goes nowhere. When I made my first record I made it for me. Most of it was made in this room and some of it was made at school in some cubicles. It was all cascading melodies and ridiculous storylines whereas this time I surrounded myself with all these good musicians, a clash of people that shouldn't be in a room together. Now I'm like 'Yes, I can write a song about the Roman Catholic church!' So, the very long answer is yes, in some ways I have really changed, but actually in others I've gone back to the beginning. My hearts very much on my sleeve on this record.

Madonna is amongst the superstars that you've worked with recently - how did that come about? Have you met her?

I first met Madonna a few years ago now, she was everything that I thought she was going to be. She says the most inappropriate things in the best possible way...she was quite candid, brutally candid. Maybe she was uncomfortable in the group that we were in. I was like 'wow!', I get why she has this power and energy. The song was a result of this crazy chaos of things. I wrote this song called 'Bang Bang' with a young writer from LA, which we let go and then it didn't go anyway and the next thing I know I get a call saying it'd been played to Madonna and that she wanted to sing it. Then she sang it and re-wrote it and the result is 'Gang Bang.'

You're BFFs with Dita Von Teese, what do you think about her new boyfriend Theo Hutchcraft?

I actually met him the second time she ever met him, over dinner. He had quite a nice manner about him. I didn't know he was in the band 'Hurts', it was weeks later she told me. She's such an easy going girl, she's so effortless. When you think of her you think of effort immediately, but even down to her style she does it all herself - hair, makeup. Everything! She's just such an easy-going chick.

There were rumours that you were a front-runner for Queen. How do you feel about Adam Lambert taking that place?

I wasn't aware of the rumours that were going around about being one of the front-runners for Queen, but I don't think I would've been a good choice. Maybe they were talking about it amongst themselves but the truth of the matter is, I don't think I would be a very good choice. I know a couple of those guys quite well and they didn't mention anything to me. I think I'd find it quite hard to sing those songs on a nightly basis, sure I'd love to. I don't think I'd want to put myself in that position because I idolised them too much when I was growing up. It would be really weird and I don't think I could ever have the arrogance to attempt to play Freddie Mercury, purely out of admiration.

You've collaborated with a lot of big stars now - if you had to pick one person to work with next out of Justin Bieber and One Direction, who would it be?

I met Justin Bieber and I shook his hand, he's got really soft hands. We sat next to each other at the NRJ awards this year and he's a really nice kid. His new album is full of quite classy collaborations, but I've got to say for a songwriter it would be really fun to write something for a boyband like One Direction because you could really go all out. Like, you could really write a great pop song. I have to say, I would probably go for One Direction if I had the choice.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer to that last question is much better, in Mika's own words, not that other journalist's interpretation of his answer.

It's a great interview.

I wouldn't have liked him to be the front man in Queen either. Good luck to Adam, but Mika is right, it's definately not for him.

Mika is a star in his own right and a solo artist. He never needs to join a band like Queen. I loved the time he sang with Boyzone, but that was a different thing entirely. He was singing his own song, not someone else's and it was a one-off, so it was lovely.

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/81283/Mika-Justin-Bieber-Has-Really-Soft-Hands

On Twitter we've been getting messages from concerned fans asking how you are, how are you?

I'm ok, my throat's just tired. I've been doing these crazy back to back shows. It's just the beginning of a campaign, after not touring for a year, but it's fine.

Does it freak you out a little that people know so much about you?

Yeah, well I was supposed to be doing a shoot this morning but I had to go and get it checked out so I think they tweeted that I was ill, so I was like 'Here we go, there's going to be a stream of 'why are you ill?' questions.

If he'd only tweeted us this in the first place he wouldve avoided the why are you ill questions :doh: ....and gotten a zillion get well soon wishes instead :naughty: but he's gonna get those either way :aah:

T4P LaraMay. It so good to read new full interviews, not translations, again :mikalove:

Oh I hope he's not dissing Adam for accepting the request. Adam has tried very hard to not copy Freddie, but tribute him with his own take on the songs, with respect to the original versions.

I don't think so. He kept emphasizing that HE (Mika) would not be a good choice. I didn't get the impression he was saying it shouldn't have been done by anyone else.

The answer to that last question is much better, in Mika's own words, not that other journalist's interpretation of his answer.

It's a great interview.

I wouldn't have liked him to be the front man in Queen either. Good luck to Adam, but Mika is right, it's definately not for him.

Mika is a star in his own right and a solo artist. He never needs to join a band like Queen. I loved the time he sang with Boyzone, but that was a different thing entirely. He was singing his own song, not someone else's and it was a one-off, so it was lovely.

Agree with you. He would lose more than obtain. And many Queen fans would start to dislike him, just because he dares to step to Freddie's place.

Well, I should have known that the One Direction quote was taken out of

context, pulled from a longer interview. :doh:

Thanks for finding this and posting it! :thumb_yello:

Yes, this article really puts that songwriting comment into context although I think it was clear from the beginning it was him being asked about working with particular people and not him naming these guys as his choices.

Anyway, I wanted to write earlier on the other thread that following that discussion on the first day when I said I couldn’t recall any of 1D’s songs, the line ”you’ve got that one thing” came to my mind as soon as I switched off my laptop :doh: so I was trying to remember how the song goes and I came up with ”ain’t nothing but a heartache...etc. until I got to the line ”I want it that way” :roftl: , which proves nothing but the fact that I personally can’t differentiate between these bands and songs as these they are totally replaceable with other similar ones.

At the same time though, I do acknowledge that the ’Backstreet Boys sound’ of the 90s was technically fully professional songwriting and the late 90s popbands from the UK / Ireland failed to match it. The only exception was the Spice Girls, whose first 4-5 singles, in my opinion, were absoutely awesome

Maybe that’s why 1D is so successful now. They do have that one thing but sadly, it has anything to do with the boys making up the band (despite a cute JB lookalike among them :teehee:): it has more to do with the group of people writing for and managing them.

Edited by suzie

Thats a very interesting interview!

The comment about One Direction sounds totally different here than on the small article that was published a few weeks ago. That proves once again how some articles and/or quotes out of context can end up being misleading.

can I also say that I love this quote: "in some ways I have really changed, but actually in others I've gone back to the beginning. My hearts very much on my sleeve on this record."