Singer Mika. Interview.

Mikasister

http://www.thelondonword.com/2012/07/singer-mika/

Everyone’s favourite falsetto-hitting pop eccentric Mika catches up with The London Word ahead of his gig in the legendary Heaven nightclub and forth-coming album The Origin of Love.

‘Hello. Helllooooo? Can you hear me?’

Chatting with Mika about why the gay scene in London has lost its edge while the reception fades in and out from his location in a gothic castle in Normandy is – I have to admit – a slightly surreal experience.

The star is currently touring the world and has a new album The Origin of Love due to be released in September, which he describes as a personal diary of the last 12 months.

‘I didn’t stop until I felt I had something you could sink your teeth into like a movie,’ he says. ‘I always say, I make alternative pop music. Which is a contradiction but it’s kind of this patchwork of different styles.’

He’ll also be playing in Heaven this week, the first time he’s done a gig at the iconic venue. ‘The last time I was in Heaven was to see Hedwig and the Angry Itch. But it is funny to be returning to a club that we used to sneak into when we were 16-years-old on Thursdays and Friday nights.’

Mika has been criticised in the past over his reluctance to say whether or not he’s gay. His not unreasonable response has always been a refusal to pigeon hole himself. However, the star is vociferous on the subject of gay culture and clearly loves London’s scene.

‘London’s gay clubs used to be centred around the legendary night at the Astoria, with giant drag queens on pedestals and huge pop stars performing, and clearly miming and no one giving a **** because it was 4am in the morning. It was glamorous and grimy and was just really joyous and really fun, Heaven was a version of that – it was all part of the same wave and I think that has kind of been dismantled in the UK.

‘It’s become a lot more hip and credible. Now it’s not that it necessarily takes itself too seriously, but it’s definitely a different vibe than what was there in the early 2000s. It would be good to reclaim some of the very dreamy atmosphere and to have more theatre.’

Born in Lebanon, raised in Paris before moving to England at the age of 11, Mika is no stranger to multiculturalism.

‘I come from a family of five kids and we’re all quite placeless and I think that’s the reason we’re all in the arts, my sister does jewellery, another is a painter, my brother is an architect. I think being slightly placeless drives you to creating a world of your own.’

Nevertheless when it comes down to it his roots are in the capital, he says. ‘London is very much my home, it is where I have my house, my dog, my pub, where I went to college and have my school.

‘There’s nothing like London in the world, in its mix, everything. The architecture, right, you have all the same shops in New York but everything is climbing the sky it’s all so massive. In London you have exactly the same companies and shops but everything is approachable. Also the energy of London – look at how many British people are over the world in design and music. There’s a reason for it, because it’s a creative hub and a patchwork of so many cultures. It’s definitely a place I choose to live not just because I grew up here but because I’m fundamentally a Londoner in every way.’

Mika will be playing on Thursday 26 July at Heaven, Under The Arches, Villiers Street, London, WC2N 6NG. Tickets available at HMV Tickets and TicketWeb.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone’s favourite falsetto-hitting pop eccentric Mika catches up with The London Word ahead of his gig in the legendary Heaven nightclub and forth-coming album The Origin of Love.

Chatting with Mika about why the gay scene in London has lost its edge while the reception fades in and out from his location in a gothic castle in Normandy is – I have to admit – a slightly surreal experience.

The star is currently touring the world and has a new album The Origin of Love due to be released in September, which he describes as a personal diary of the last 12 months.

‘I didn’t stop until I felt I had something you could sink your teeth into like a movie,’ he says. ‘I always say, I make alternative pop music. Which is a contradiction but it’s kind of this patchwork of different styles.’

He’ll also be playing in Heaven this week, the first time he’s done a gig at the iconic venue. ‘The last time I was in Heaven was to see Hedwig and the Angry Itch. But it is funny to be returning to a club that we used to sneak into when we were 16-years-old on Thursdays and Friday nights.’

Mika has been criticised in the past over his reluctance to say whether or not he’s gay. His not unreasonable response has always been a refusal to pigeon hole himself. However, the star is vociferous on the subject of gay culture and clearly loves London’s scene.

‘London’s gay clubs used to be centred around the legendary night at the Astoria, with giant drag queens on pedestals and huge pop stars performing, and clearly miming and no one giving a **** because it was 4am in the morning. It was glamorous and grimy and was just really joyous and really fun, Heaven was a version of that – it was all part of the same wave and I think that has kind of been dismantled in the UK.

‘It’s become a lot more hip and credible. Now it’s not that it necessarily takes itself too seriously, but it’s definitely a different vibe than what was there in the early 2000s. It would be good to reclaim some of the very dreamy atmosphere and to have more theatre.’

Born in Lebanon, raised in Paris before moving to England at the age of 11, Mika is no stranger to multiculturalism.

‘I come from a family of five kids and we’re all quite placeless and I think that’s the reason we’re all in the arts, my sister does jewellery, another is a painter, my brother is an architect. I think being slightly placeless drives you to creating a world of your own.’

Nevertheless when it comes down to it his roots are in the capital, he says. ‘London is very much my home, it is where I have my house, my dog, my pub, where I went to college and have my school.

‘There’s nothing like London in the world, in its mix, everything. The architecture, right, you have all the same shops in New York but everything is climbing the sky it’s all so massive. In London you have exactly the same companies and shops but everything is approachable. Also the energy of London – look at how many British people are over the world in design and music. There’s a reason for it, because it’s a creative hub and a patchwork of so many cultures. It’s definitely a place I choose to live not just because I grew up here but because I’m fundamentally a Londoner in every way.’

Mika will be playing on Thursday 26 July at Heaven, Under The Arches, Villiers Street, London, WC2N 6NG. Tickets available at HMV Tickets and TicketWeb.

Thanks for posting!!! :wink2:

It’s definitely a place I choose to live not just because I grew up here but because I’m fundamentally a Londoner in every way.

This is why I was drawn to Mika when I first learned about him. I feel the same way and would still be living there if I could.

I used to go to Heaven when he was 16 and it was full of people in drag. I'm sure I was the only straight woman there :naughty: I tried to go back in 2008 but Britney Spears happened by so the queue went up to the Strand. Wish I could go to this gig to see how it's changed. It should be great and I bet he'll tell some stories.

‘There’s nothing like London in the world, in its mix, everything.

It's just how I feel about London. My favorite place in the world. :wub2:

Nice interview -- thanks for finding and posting! :thumb_yello:

How interesting he mentions Hedwig and the Angry Inch (not Itch!) - who wrote the original Origin of Love song - which is apparently based on Aristophane's speech from Plato's Symposium :wink2:

[YOUTUBE]_zU3U7E1Odc[/YOUTUBE]

damn he's so right:blink:. Suddenly the penny dropped for me:blush-anim-cl:

How interesting he mentions Hedwig and the Angry Inch (not Itch!) - who wrote the original Origin of Love song - which is apparently based on Aristophane's speech from Plato's Symposium :wink2:

Yes, that song puts 'gender' in focus when trying to define the origin of love. I thought Mika's lyrics would be similar as that topic is not far from him, either, but he seems to approach it differently, questioning the role of God in human beings' search for love.

I don't agree with him calling himself 'placeless', as he's effectively grown up in London....As I said before, his arguments don't wash with me because I moved a LOT more than him as a child and as an adult, so I don't really think that he can class himself as placeless or lacking roots, etc... He only moved once, really :naughty: Typical Mika exageration with a view to make things more interesting sounding (not saying that moving around makes you interesting, but clearly he must think something along those lines or he wouldn't say it)

I do fully agree with him in the fact that he IS a Londoner, and that he's finally so openly saying it now.

This is why I was drawn to Mika when I first learned about him. I feel the same way and would still be living there if I could.

I used to go to Heaven when he was 16 and it was full of people in drag. I'm sure I was the only straight woman there :naughty: I tried to go back in 2008 but Britney Spears happened by so the queue went up to the Strand. Wish I could go to this gig to see how it's changed. It should be great and I bet he'll tell some stories.

Yep, totally agree.....I think he's making it more and more clear what he 'is' with every revelation.

Thanks for posting!:thumb_yello:

And I agree about London being a fantastic town, I've been there more times than I can count....:blush-anim-cl:

We have a saying, that if you're tired of London you're actually tired of life itself!:naughty:

We have a saying, that if you're tired of London you're actually tired of life itself!:naughty:

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

— Samuel Johnson

I remembered it as I had it on a poster in my room as a teenager :teehee:

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

— Samuel Johnson

I remembered it as I had it on a poster in my room as a teenager :teehee:

Oh wow! Fantastic!:thumb_yello:

Please. please. please, let there be some live gigs in London, preferably seated, real close to Christmas, please, please, please!:naughty: