Mika on BBC2 Newsnight Review Friday 05/10/12 - at 11pm UK time

RAK1

I was struck by the look of complete disdain on Paul Morley's face. That man is a music snob if ever there was one and I wouldn't be surprised if he loathes Mika :naughty:

Whatever!!

I just don't get this. I mean I understand why people are not fans. Mika's voice can be an acquired taste and if his songs are not your taste in music or you think they are lightweight or whatever, fine. But with all the no talents in the music industry I don't know how you cannot have respect for someone who can properly sing a song.

I think Celine Dion is a strange woman who sings old fashioned melodramatic music and I cringe when I see her carrying on about her shows or her family. But if she was two feet away from me singing like that I would show her the respect she deserves because she is an amazing vocalist.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get this. I mean I understand why people are not fans. Mika's voice can be an acquired taste and if his songs are not your taste in music or you think they are lightweight or whatever, fine. But with all the no talents in the music industry I don't know how you cannot have respect for someone who can properly sing a song.

I think Celine Dion is a strange woman who sings old fashioned melodramatic music and I cringe when I see her carrying on about her shows or her family. But if she was two feet away from me singing like that I would show her the respect she deserves because she is an amazing vocalist.

Yes I agree, it's basic manners to show appreciation. However some people can be very close-minded.

I know I bang on about it , but really, Mika is seen as a bit of a joke in certain circles here in the UK and just when I think I am being over sensitive about it or only seeing the bad, something like this reminds me of it.

Of course, he also has his fans here and those who do recognise his abilities whilst maybe not being fans.. But I fear he'll always be fighting an uphill battle here. I believe and hope that one day he'll be elevated to National Treasure status, as that's often the way it goes! Then after that he'll be knocked off his pedestal again and we'll be back to square one! I love the UK media! :naughty:

I know I bang on about it , but really, Mika is seen as a bit of a joke in certain circles here in the UK and just when I think I am being over sensitive about it or only seeing the bad, something like this reminds me of it.

As is Celine Dion in Canada. :teehee:

Of course, he also has his fans here and those who do recognise his abilities whilst maybe not being fans.. But I fear he'll always be fighting an uphill battle here.

Yes sadly I think the real mystery here is why Grace Kelly ever struck a chord in the first place and he had the kind of success he did in 2007.

I don't believe it has anything to do with this single choice or that single choice. I'm sure if they tried to shop GK around to UK radio today it wouldn't get played either. I guess it was just the right time and it may never be the right time for him again.

I believe and hope that one day he'll be elevated to National Treasure status, as that's often the way it goes! Then after that he'll be knocked off his pedestal again and we'll be back to square one! I love the UK media! :naughty:

:roftl: It would be nice if he's elevated to national treasure status even if they must knock him back down. :naughty:

she does have an amazing voice... but i would have to close my eyes to appreciate it & pretend it's not her.

she's been overplayed / over publicized in Quebec... i just can't appreciate her

[YOUTUBE]R2PEsxzwkSc[/YOUTUBE]

Finally had time to watch this one, thank you for uploading, Christine! :flowers2: Oh, how I love acoustic Origin Of Love :swoon: But I wish it was just Mika and Tim, that knocking sound makes me nervous.