Hi, I’m new here

JoAllison

Hi I’m Jo, from the USA (upstate NY).  

I’ve been a big fan of Mika’s for a few years but have never seen him live (YouTube feeds my addiction. :) )

I don’t really know what to say, never joined a fan club before (I did check in on the USA thread, wrote more there because I wrote about what others I saw there write on).

• Like 1

Thank you for the welcome!

Sabine64 asked how I discovered Mika. This might get a bit long. I’ve had issues with depression since my middle brother died, hit by lightning about 7 years ago near DC. One of my ways of dealing has been watching YouTube videos of The Voice and X Factor in other countries in the middle of the night when I can’t sleep (have my favorite judges, Mika was definitely one). [Because of the years of watching I sort of understand French and Italian,  and Dutch (plus one of my sister-in-laws is Dutch) and I took Spanish for 8 years a few  decades ago & I still sort of understand it too, but have discovered I don’t really need to understand the language to like the music or the show.] Then one year I got the idea to listen to the music of all the coaches of The Voice since they’re the ones considered good enough to be coaches. I googled and found an article that listed all the countries that do The Voice (64!) and all the coaches for all the years. And I’ve been working my way through the coaches ever since via Spotify (and Wikipedia to check if they’re in a group). I’ve tried to give each one 1 hour to half a day, at minimum to see if I like them. If I like them I either add their stuff to one or more of my Spotify shuffle lists (can’t make a real playlist to save my life...I just add songs and hit shuffle), or straight out buy their music (or both). I’ve bought songs or albums for several, but Mika is the only one (so far) where I just had to track down every single song/album I could find and buy them, plus track down all his covers of others’ music I could find on YouTube and make my own private watch list, and have spent hours watching YouTube videos of his concerts. Some of his songs made me cry, most make me happy, and they all feel like a warm hug when I really need it, you know? And, learning more about him, I truly admire his human rights work, and his caring, his intelligence and super creativity & sense of fun, plus he seems really nice, (and yes, is really cute).  So now for the first time in my life I joined a fan club. (I’m an introvert and kinda shy in non-computer life.)

Sabine, your icon picture is familiar- do you have videos of Mika on YouTube (I probably watched them) ? Maybe Twitter?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1