Mika in UK - Ireland press 2019

Kumazzz

The Guardian

Feb 17

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/17/saturday-night-live-don-cheadle-alec-baldwin-trump

In Bar Fight, a meathead biker (Beck Beckett) and redneck trucker (Cheadle) square up, only to have their rhythm thrown off balance after another patron accidentally puts Mika’s ultra-addictive dance jam Lollipop on the jukebox.

Soon both men are cutting loose, joined by the rest of the cast.

This sketch is going to drive up searches for Lollipop, catchy as it is.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

EQ music

January 5, 2019

https://eqmusicblog.com/listen-sound-orchestra-mika/

Listen to “Sound Of An Orchestra” by MIKA

Mandy Rogers

We’re five days into 2019 already, and this is my first blog of this brand New Year. First and foremost I wanted to return from my festive break with a jolly, upbeat song to talk about. So, given his previous good track record and when I read purveyor of wonky pop, MIKA had been teasing a new track release. I very much had my mind set on this track as being the sum of all I’ve been craving. I haven’t been disappointed by “Sound Of An Orchestra.” (Although, I did become a little distracted from writing about it quick smart as I remembered and consequently had to hunt out the video where the singer performs his track “Celebrate” backed by a vegetable orchestra.)

However, there is quite a different story in regard to MIKA’s latest dalliance with large music ensembles. Sorry to report in, to all the Vegans out there, he isn’t embracing the Veganuary vibes on this track. It has been written for an Italian TV show “La Compagnia del cigno.” As MIKA explains to the video.repubblica.it, website.

“I wanted to write a song that speaks not only of love between two people but also of love for music, of the magic of the sounds transmitted by the gestures of the beloved person.”

Mandy Rogers tweets

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
The  original master recordings of MIKA at Abbey Road Studios will be auctioned!!  :eek:

Spink to Offer the Michael Gleason Collection of Original Master Recordings of Musical Performances, Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, Part 1

21 May 2019
PR Newswire Europe

LONDON, May 21, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Spink is honoured to present the first part of the Michael Gleason Collection, comprised of the original master recordings of musical performances of eighteen world-renowned artists performing over sixty songs at Abbey Road Studios. The auction will take place on June 20th, 2019 at Spink's headquarters office in London.

In 2005, Michael Gleason, a successful Texan entrepreneur and producer residing in London, decided to create and produce Live from Abbey Road, a new music television performance series. Inspired by the 1967 original idea of The Beatles to make live broadcast recordings at Abbey Road Studios, the idea was to record sublime musical performances from some of the world's greatest musical artists in the best studio in the world.

A Star Masterpiece Collection was born. From 2006-2012, more than one hundred and forty world-class musical artists came to Abbey Road Studios as a result of a very special invitation: to perform for the global series Live from Abbey Road. The series reached over 120 countries.

This superb collection is comprised of the only original master recordings of the musical artists' performances made on their day at Abbey Road Studios.

Hours of never-seen video footage and never-heard audio are included with each artist. There are no other copies of these master recordings. 

To create the best recordings possible, up to ninety microphones were used to record instrumental and vocal sound straight into the famous Abbey Road sound desks. To produce the best video footage possible, up to eight high-definition film and digital cameras captured every performance, as well as on-camera interviews with the individual artist or musical group. Several takes of a song were recorded in order to achieve the best possible live audio and video.

As per Michael Gleason: "In the upcoming auction, I selected with Muriel, eighteen of my favourite artists and bands. Just to list a few, Ed Sheeran, Seal, the Gipsy Kings, Jamiroquai and The Killers… They cover a wide range of music tastes and appeal to a diverse audience. Now is the time to make it accessible to music lovers, art collectors, museums, music schools, artists and their labels, everybody who wants to own rare unique content. If you are a music collector, or love to collect but have never collected music before, these beautiful, original single edition audio and video recordings and photographs will be a priceless addition to your collections for you and generations to come."

Muriel Eymery remarked, "To own a collection of original master studio recordings is the Holy Grail for all music lovers and extremely rare. Many of us dream to own an original recording of their favourite artist's or band's performance. When I met Michael Gleason, I knew this dream could come true for collectors around the world. A collection of this size and importance has never been available to collectors and the public at large until now. Each lot is in itself an important masterpiece of modern music history." 

Here is a complete artist list for the June 20th auction:

Seal                                              Blondie
Elbow                                             Jamiroquai
Mika                                              Two Door Cinema Club
The Good the Bad & the Queen (feat. Damon Albarn) Natasha Bedingfield
The Killers (2009 Session)                        Django Django
Ed Sheeran                                        The Kooks (2011 Session)
Randy Crawford and Joe Sample                     Alanis Morissette
Friendly Fires                                    Beady Eye (feat. Liam Gallagher)
Gipsy Kings                                       Anna Calvi

For each artist, a lot has been assembled and includes:

A USB flash drive, in a dedicated leather case, loaded with the final master audio and video recordings, for ease of use while on the move. It is sleek, covered in white leather with gold letters reminding its content: "The Michael Gleason Collection of Original Recordings – Recorded at Abbey Road Studios", offered in a Spink box.  

A visually stunning, translucid, lathe cut vinyl dub plate, pressed with the final master versions of the songs recorded by the Artist (or the Band). The central vinyl artwork shows the name of the artist/band, the date and location of recording, and "Edition 1/1".

A Glyph 1TB External Hard Drive of all of the digital recorded material, (or in a lot where the video footage is on film tape, the original tapes are included.)

A poster sized, framed black and white still photograph, and two additional, desk size, unframed, photos of the Artist (or the Band) taken on the day of the performance.

A signed certificate of authenticity from Michael Gleason.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NaoMika said:
The  original master recordings of MIKA at Abbey Road Studios will be auctioned!!  :eek:

Auciton site

https://spink.com/auction/19035

Auction Details

Title  The Michael Gleason Collection of Original Recordings Filmed and Recorded at Abbey Road Studios - Part I

Location Spink UK

Date & Time Thursday 20th June 2019 - 06:00pm  

LOT 6  MIKA

https://spink.com/lot/19035000006

Auction: 19035 - The Michael Gleason Collection of Original Recordings Filmed and Recorded at Abbey Road Studios - Part I
Lot: 6

MIKA, 3 songs, including all documentary and interview footage amounting to approximately 4 hours 25 minutes.

Date recorded: September 1, 2006

Blame it on the Girls 2.21 mns.
Grace Kelly 2.57 mns.
We Are Golden 2.53 mns.

The lot includes:
1- The only existing set of original TAPE master recordings and filmed footages of the Artist's performances that day at Abbey Road Studios.
The Mika session was filmed with 5 cameras and consists of 12 DVCPRO tapes covering the entire session, including documentary and interview footage. This amounts to approximately 4 hours 25 minutes of never publicly seen or heard unedited footage.

2- A GLYPH 1TB STUDIO DRIVE and a customized carry case, containing broadcast standard Pro Res HD video clips of the edited performances and interviews. The drive also includes the complete Pro Tools recording session and associated stems and a folder of the final mixes of all 3 songs in 16-bit uncompressed stereo.

3- A 16GB Executive USB DRIVE, with .mp4 versions of the edited performance and interview videos, and .mp3 and .wav versions of the finished mixes. The key is customized with inscription "The Michael Gleason Collection of Original Recordings - Recorded at Abbey Road Studios", and presented in a Spink box.

4- A translucid, lathe cut VINYL dubplate, pressed with the final master versions of the songs. The central vinyl artwork shows the name of the artist, the songs, the date and location of recording, and "Edition 1/1". The vinyl dubplate is presented in a black protective sleeve.

5- THREE PHOTOGRAPHS, "Edition 1/1":
- A Poster-sized Black & White photograph of the Artist on the day of the performance. Size 22 inches x 15 inches (55.88 cm x 38.1 cm), on True C-type Fuji crystal archive professional paper, satin matt, framed with anti-reflect glass.
- Two additional photographs of the Artist from the performance, one in Black & White and one in colour. Size 18 inches x 12 inches (45.72 cm x 30.48 cm), on True C-type Fuji crystal archive professional paper, satin matt, framed with standard glass.

6- A signed certificate of authenticity from Michael Gleason certified by CAG (Collectibles Authentication Guaranty).

Subject to 20% VAT on both Hammer Price and Buyer’s Premium. For more information please view Terms and Conditions for Buyers.

Starting Price 
 $7,000

19035_6_1.jpg

19035_6_2.jpg

19035_6_3.jpg

19035_6_4.jpg

19035_6_5.jpg

19035_6_6.jpg

19035_6_7.jpg

Catalogue

https://d3ums4016ncdkp.cloudfront.net/auction/catalogue/19035/19035.pdf

Screen shots from the Catalogue

The Michael Gleason Collection_cover.jpg

The Michael Gleason Collection_LOT6_MIKA_01.jpg

The Michael Gleason Collection_LOT6_MIKA_02.jpg

The Michael Gleason Collection_LOT6_MIKA_03.jpg

The Michael Gleason Collection_LOT6_MIKA_04.jpg

Edited by NaoMika
Added some info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NaoMika said:

Auciton site

https://spink.com/auction/19035

Auction Details

Title  The Michael Gleason Collection of Original Recordings Filmed and Recorded at Abbey Road Studios - Part I

Location Spink UK

Date & Time Thursday 20th June 2019 - 06:00pm  

LOT 6  MIKA

https://spink.com/lot/19035000006

Auction: 19035 - The Michael Gleason Collection of Original Recordings Filmed and Recorded at Abbey Road Studios - Part I
Lot: 6

MIKA, 3 songs, including all documentary and interview footage amounting to approximately 4 hours 25 minutes.

Date recorded: September 1, 2006

Blame it on the Girls 2.21 mns.
Grace Kelly 2.57 mns.
We Are Golden 2.53 mns.

The lot includes:
1- The only existing set of original TAPE master recordings and filmed footages of the Artist's performances that day at Abbey Road Studios.
The Mika session was filmed with 5 cameras and consists of 12 DVCPRO tapes covering the entire session, including documentary and interview footage. This amounts to approximately 4 hours 25 minutes of never publicly seen or heard unedited footage.

2- A GLYPH 1TB STUDIO DRIVE and a customized carry case, containing broadcast standard Pro Res HD video clips of the edited performances and interviews. The drive also includes the complete Pro Tools recording session and associated stems and a folder of the final mixes of all 3 songs in 16-bit uncompressed stereo.

3- A 16GB Executive USB DRIVE, with .mp4 versions of the edited performance and interview videos, and .mp3 and .wav versions of the finished mixes. The key is customized with inscription "The Michael Gleason Collection of Original Recordings - Recorded at Abbey Road Studios", and presented in a Spink box.

4- A translucid, lathe cut VINYL dubplate, pressed with the final master versions of the songs. The central vinyl artwork shows the name of the artist, the songs, the date and location of recording, and "Edition 1/1". The vinyl dubplate is presented in a black protective sleeve.

5- THREE PHOTOGRAPHS, "Edition 1/1":
- A Poster-sized Black & White photograph of the Artist on the day of the performance. Size 22 inches x 15 inches (55.88 cm x 38.1 cm), on True C-type Fuji crystal archive professional paper, satin matt, framed with anti-reflect glass.
- Two additional photographs of the Artist from the performance, one in Black & White and one in colour. Size 18 inches x 12 inches (45.72 cm x 30.48 cm), on True C-type Fuji crystal archive professional paper, satin matt, framed with standard glass.

6- A signed certificate of authenticity from Michael Gleason certified by CAG (Collectibles Authentication Guaranty).

Subject to 20% VAT on both Hammer Price and Buyer’s Premium. For more information please view Terms and Conditions for Buyers.

Starting Price 
 $7,000

19035_6_1.jpg

19035_6_2.jpg

19035_6_3.jpg

19035_6_4.jpg

19035_6_5.jpg

19035_6_6.jpg

19035_6_7.jpg

Catalogue

https://d3ums4016ncdkp.cloudfront.net/auction/catalogue/19035/19035.pdf

Screen shots from the Catalogue

The Michael Gleason Collection_cover.jpg

The Michael Gleason Collection_LOT6_MIKA_01.jpg

The Michael Gleason Collection_LOT6_MIKA_02.jpg

The Michael Gleason Collection_LOT6_MIKA_03.jpg

The Michael Gleason Collection_LOT6_MIKA_04.jpg

Wow! Thank you @NaoMika for sharing.

It's a beautiful collection! 

But the price :crybaby:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NaoMika said:

Spink to Offer the Michael Gleason Collection of Original Master Recordings of Musical Performances, Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, Part 1

Thanks a lot for posting @NaoMika

PDF file :the_Michael_Gleason_Collection.pdf

The_MICHAEL_GLEASON_COLLECTION_page-1.thumb.jpg.a0eca810c63b8084d28067196761e96d.jpg

The_MICHAEL_GLEASON_COLLECTION_page-8.thumb.jpg.55d950f012b69df22ddf543c21cbe030.jpg

The_MICHAEL_GLEASON_COLLECTION_page-30.thumb.jpg.7b2173051b76e7a215c91cd87a27abba.jpg

The_MICHAEL_GLEASON_COLLECTION_page-32.thumb.jpg.3c41841e32603c40793edf74dd646de4.jpg

The_MICHAEL_GLEASON_COLLECTION_page-88.jpg

• Like 2

unCrazed

https://www.uncrazed.com/mika-return-friday-new-single-ice-cream/12611/

MIKA Returns This Friday With New Single ‘Ice Cream’

Yooooooo Mika! Let’s set the record by saying Mika is one of the greatest artists of all time — and yes, this is an opinionated article but we are basing this one facts.

Mika, or MIKA, real name Michael Penniman, was born 18 August, 1983, making him 35-years-old at the time of this article, but his music throws you into it’s very own, unique time era. In 2007, after recording his first extended play, Dodgy Holiday, he was named the number-one predicted breakthrough act.

His first full-length studio album, Life in Cartoon Motion, sold over 5.6 million copies worldwide; leading him to win Best British Breakthrough in the Brit Awards, along with receiving a Grammy Award nomination, later topping the UK Singles Chart with Grace Kelly in 2007.

Ever since then, his music has bettered and formed a wonderful masterpiece in a music collectors catalogue, or playlist, for a moderner term.

It’s time for us to express our excitement, because the official announcement for his latest single has been made. In a post on Instagram, Mika said, “I am putting the final touches (literally) to the single #IceCream cover and album artwork. I wanted to hand write the album title myself to make it feel intimate.

Meanwhile in London, my sister Yasmine has been busy painting elements for the artwork. Check out my Instagram story to see a video of her desk at this very moment! ❤️🤓

Attached to the caption are several images giving us a glimpse as to what to expect… this Friday. The excitement is real, and now it’s time for a throwback playlist of Mika’s greatest hits (all of his music), whilst attempting to match his vocals.

We should also add that Mika also released a snippet of the song, which is right here.

I could be brown, I could be blue, I could be violet sky…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

In this Abbey Road recordings thing they got the date wrong. 2009, not 2006. It shows the correct date on the photo, but in the text they write 2006. For 7000$ you'd think they take better care of their facts. :doh:

• Like 2

INDEPENDENT

news/mika-ice-cream-album-my-name-is-michael-holbrook

Mika announces new album 'My Name is Michael Holbrook' as he unveils single 'Ice Cream'

Singer also going on tour

Mika has announced his first album in four years, inaugurating his return with a new single.

The singer revealed on Friday that his album My Name Is Michael Holbrook (a partial reference to his full name, Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr) is slated to be released on 4 October.

On the same day, he unveiled a new song titled “Ice Cream” – a catchy summer tune in line with the colourful pop that turned Mika into a sensation with the 2007 hit Life in Cartoon Motion.

The song, Mika said in an Instagram post, “was written on a day of extreme heat in August”.

He crafted it over the last few weeks of a two-year writing period for his new album.

“Through the writing I had confronted personal, serious and at times painful issues. By the end of it I felt lighter and freer. This was one of the last songs written for the new album,” he added.

“The song is a daydream fantasy. Like a heat mirage, and makes me feel like anything is possible.”

The singer will begin a European tour on 10 November in London.

He will then perform in Spain and France before heading to Switzerland and wrapping up in Italy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

CMU ( Complete Music Update )

https://completemusicupdate.com/article/mika-announces-new-album/

Mika announces new album

• By Andy Malt | Published on Monday 3 June 2019

Mika has announced that he will released his fifth album, ‘My Name Is Michael Holbrook’, in October.

Getting the ball rolling, he’s released new single ‘Ice Cream’.

“‘Ice Cream’ was written on a day of extreme heat”, says Mika, which makes sense, I guess. “It was the last few weeks of writing for the album; a writing period that lasted two years. Through the writing I had confronted personal, serious and at times painful issues, now I felt lighter and freer”.

“It was August in Italy”, he continues. “I wanted to run away to the sea, or just about anywhere. I dreamt about summer flings with someone totally stunning and out of my reach, I dreamt about the other person I always wish I was during the summer. Instead I was left with all the discomforts of summer heat. Sweat, work deadlines, bee stings, and all this with no AC”.

Is he finished? No. He goes on: “The song is a daydream fantasy. It shimmers like a mirage, and makes me feel like anything is possible. Inspired by the irreverent attitude of the music of the 90s; George Michael among others. Dare to be the more proud version of yourself. Dare to be a sensual man, dare to express out loud the desires you always keep inside your head. That’s why and how I wrote it”.

‘My Name Is Michael Holbrook’ is set for release on 4 Oct. And yes, that is his real name, if you were wondering. Actually, apparently his full name is Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr, but that would make quite an unwieldy album title, I suppose.

Maybe you could make a nice banner asking if that’s the reason he shortened his name for the album’s title to hold up when he plays Shepherds Bush Empire in London on 10 Nov.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

METRO

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/20/world-refugee-day-public-figures-you-may-not-know-were-refugees-10014365/

World Refugee Day: Public figures you may not know were refugees

Jane WhartonThursday 20 Jun 2019 12:04 am Shar

PRC_69781858.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zo

Refugees have shaped our world – from our understanding of science, our enjoyment of sport, the music we listen to and the food we enjoy. A new video has been released by the International Rescue Committee to put the spotlight on their achievements and celebrate the contributions they continue to make to society. Globally there are 70.8 million people who have been forcibly displaced by conflict and persecution. They are our friends, neighbours, colleagues but were you aware the following household names were also once refugees?

Mika  The Lebanese-born British singer was born in Beirut but fled the civil war to come to Europe.

SEI_74174741.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zo

• Like 3

Daily Star

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/music/787123/mika-singer-noughties-michael

• Published 21st June 2019

Noughties star Mika is back under a new name - Michael

NOUGHTIES chart star Mika is back – and this time he’s called Michael.

The man who scored huge hits with technicolour anthems including Relax, Take It Easy and Grace Kelly has been absent for four years.

But his new album is a fresh start embracing his real family name.

Mika explained: “It’s almost like I’m starting again, turning over a new page.

“It’s an old American family with a lot of tradition but also a lot of secrets I didn’t really know about.”

A voyage of self discovery led to Mika’s new music. He said: “It’s my fifth album so I wanted a new point of view. It took me two years to figure out what I was going to do.

“So I went on a road trip to the States and when I got back I wrote a song called Tiny Love. It opens with the phrase: ‘My name is Michael Holbrook and I was born in 1983’.”

Out in October, the album turned out to be a real family affair. He revealed: “It’s not sombre or dark or sad, it’s the opposite. It’s a different side of me.

ROADTRIP: Mika went travelling to discover message of next album

DREAM TEAM: Mika's family will make a guest appearance

“I sing a lot about stuff that’s happened in my life that I haven’t spoken about before. About my brother and sisters and my mum.

“There’s even an appearance by my mum and sister on the record.

“It’s personal but with an enormous amount of joy that will make you dance and cry. It’s full of bold colours, like the colours of my first album and the melodies too.”

Mika or Michael will tour the UK in November.

DailyStar.thumb.jpg.d40e0d42476cd43e4c58ed5d8d5669fa.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
adding a image file.
  • Like 3

Bang Showbiz

Mika relaunching music career under real name

https://www.list.co.uk/article/109260-mika-relaunching-music-career-under-real-name/

• 22 June 2019

Mika is rebranding his music career by going under his real name Michael Holbrook for his new record 'My Name Is Michael Holbrook'

Mika is relaunching his music career under his real name, Michael Holbrook.

The 'Grace Kelly' hitmaker – who had a string of hits in the early 00s' – will return with brand new album 'My Name Is Michael Holbrook' on October 4, his first record in four years, and he has admitted it took him two years to figure out where he wanted to take his music career next.

He told the Daily Star newspaper's Wired column: "It's almost like I'm starting again, turning over a new page.

"I'm called Mika but also Michael Holbrook. That's my father's name and I'm actually Michael Holbrook junior, the third.

"It's an old American family with a lot of tradition but also a lot of secrets I didn't really know about."

The record has been inspired by the 'We Are Golden' hitmaker's time spent in the US and started off with the track 'Tiny Love'.

He said: "It's my fifth album so I wanted a new point of view.

"It took me two years to figure out what I was going to do.

"So I went on a road trip to the States and when I got back I wrote a song called 'Tiny Love'.

It opens with the phrase: 'My name is Michael Holbrook and I was born in 1983'."

Michael's new tunes are about family and his mum and sisters will appear on the album, which sees him open up about things he's never discussed publicly before, and he compared it to the "bold colours" of his debut LP 'Life in Cartoon Motion', released back in 2007.

He teased: "It's not sombre or dark or sad, it's the opposite. It's a different side of me.

"I sing a lot about stuff that's happened in my life that I haven't spoken about before.

"About my brother and sisters and my mum.

"There's even an appearance by my mum and sister on the record.

"It's personal but with an enormous amount of joy that will make you dance and cry. It's full of bold colours, like the colours of my first album and the melodies too."

• Like 2

On 5/24/2019 at 3:25 AM, NaoMika said:

21 May 2019
PR Newswire Europe

LONDON, May 21, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Spink is honoured to present the first part of the Michael Gleason Collection, comprised of the original master recordings of musical performances of eighteen world-renowned artists performing over sixty songs at Abbey Road Studios. The auction will take place on June 20th, 2019 at Spink's headquarters office in London.

btw, this auction was postponed until further notice, for technical reasons :blink:  so if anyone was hoping to bid :lmfao: , you have a bit longer to save up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jul/05/miraa-may-track-of-week

Tracks of the week reviewed

Joel Golby

Fri 5 Jul 2019 11.00 BST

Mika

Ice Cream

This is a song that is about being hot, yes, but also it’s a coded message about being horny.

Look: “I want your ice cream / I want it melting on my tongue.” I have no doubt this was written in the midst of 2018’s heatwave.

This song drips – cascades – with the threat of someone throwing a pint over you because Harry Kane scored a tap-in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Stereo Broad

https://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/224893/9

Mika Shares New Single Tiny Love From 'My Name Is Michael Holbrook'

mika_hp_160819.thumb.jpg.75492a5848f9b5fa66e5dab733df800f.jpg

Friday, 16 August 2019

Mika has shared a new single.

Tiny Love is the second single to be released from the Platinum-selling pop artist’s new album, after Ice Cream arrived in May, and plays out like a hit from a musical, with a huge singalong chorus and differing sections that vary the pace from dramatic and sincere to pop-fuelled and ecstatic. Mika's unique solo voice is showcased, and comes across as equally powerful when later accompanied by a choir.

Mika said of the track’s video, which depicts the love explored in the lyrics and sees direction from Wiz,

“I have never liked making music videos, they are such a bore. They say too many cooks spoil the soup well the same goes for videos. I knew I needed a different sort of director for this video, more art and film based. With a strong singular vision.

“I wanted a director who would accompany me on my desire to stop making music videos and start making short experimental films based around my music. Wiz was the perfect choice. From every detail in pre production, to the art direction and casting, he has one thing in mind; to illustrate a complex narrative that he has written in his head. It was intense and thrilling to collaborate with Wiz it was also an emotional experience. I am very proud of what he has made. An emotionally epic video for a song full of heart and love. Huge and Tiny at the same time.”

‘My Name Is Michael Holbrook’ will arrive on October 4 via Republic Records.

He’ll support the LP with extensive touring in North America in September, a London date in November, and across Europe until February 2020.

Tickets are on sale now.

Mika Upcoming Tour Dates are as follows

Thu September 12 2019 - BROOKLYN New York - Brooklyn Steel (USA)
Fri September 13 2019 - BROOKLYN New York - Brooklyn Steel (USA)
Sun September 15 2019 - MONTREAL Quebec - Corona Theatre (Canada)
Mon September 16 2019 - MONTREAL Quebec - Corona Theatre (Canada)
Wed September 18 2019 - SAN FRANCISCO California - Fillmore San Francisco (USA)
Sat September 21 2019 - LOS ANGELES California - Theatre at Ace (USA)

Sun November 10 2019 - LONDON O2 Shepherds Bush Empire
Tue November 12 2019 - BARCELONA Razzmatazz (Spain)
Wed November 13 2019 - MADRID La Riviera (Spain)
Fri November 15 2019 - PAU Zenith (France)
Sat November 16 2019 - TOULOUSE Zenith (France)
Mon November 18 2019 - AIX EN PROVENCE Arena du Pays daix (France)
Tue November 19 2019 - SAINT ETIENNE Zenith (France)
Thu November 21 2019 - GENEVA SEG Geneva Arena (Switzerland)
Fri November 22 2019 - ZURICH Komplex 457 (Switzerland)
Sun November 24 2019 - TURIN Pala Alpitour (Italy)
Tue November 26 2019 - ANCONA Promenteo Palace (Italy)
Wed November 27 2019 - ROME Palalottomatica (Italy)
Fri November 29 2019 - BOLOGNA Unipol Arena (Italy)
Sat November 30 2019 - MONTICHIARI Palageorge (Italy)
Mon December 02 2019 - LIVORNO Modigliani Forum (Italy)
Tue December 03 2019 - MILAN Mediolanum Forum (Italy)
Sat December 14 2019 - BRUSSELS Forest National (Belgium)
Sun December 15 2019 - LILLE Zenith (France)
Tue December 17 2019 - DIJON Zenith (France)
Thu December 19 2019 - BORDEAUX Arkea Arena (France)
Fri December 20 2019 - NANTES Zenith (France)
Sun December 22 2019 - PARIS Laccor Hotel Arena (France)
Fri January 24 2020 - CAEN Zenith (France)
Sat January 25 2020 - NIORT Lacclameur (France)
Wed January 29 2020 - ESCH SUR ALZETTE ROCKHAL (Luxembourg)
Thu January 30 2020 - MONTBELIARD Laxone (France)
Sat February 01 2020 - PADOVA Kioene (Italy)
Sun February 02 2020 - BOLZANO Palaonda (Italy)
Wed February 05 2020 - NAPOLI Palapartenope (Italy)
Fri February 07 2020 - BARI Palaflorio (Italy)
Sat February 08 2020 - REGGIO CALABRIA PalaCalafiore (Italy)
Thu February 13 2020 - UTRECHT Tivolivredenburg Ronda (Netherlands)
Fri February 14 2020 - STRASBOURG Zenith (France)

Click here to compare & buy Mika Tickets at Stereoboard.com.

• Like 1

UDISCOVERMUSIC

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/video-mika-tiny-love/

Watch The Video For MIKA’s New Single, ‘Tiny Love’

MIKA’s new single ‘Tiny Love’ is out now, accompanied a W.I.Z.-directed video, which you can check out below. The track is the second single from MIKA’s highly anticipated new album, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, out on 4 October.

image.thumb.png.fbcfe2882820057889ab7695440872c4.png

Of ‘Tine Love’, MIKA says, “The most important thing in the world is the love we have for those around us, the love others offer us and the love we have for ourselves. That love can feel so massive and yet at the same time it’s so tiny and imperceptible to others. This song is a conscious decision to provoke that emotion. I knew I needed a different sort of director for this video, more art and film based. W.I.Z. was the perfect choice.

“From every detail in pre-production, to the art direction and casting, he has one thing in mind; to illustrate a complex narrative that he has written in his head. I am very proud of what he has made. An emotionally epic video for a song full of heart and love. Huge and Tiny Love at the same time.”

In celebration of the release, MIKA will make a long-awaited return to North America with the Tiny Love Tiny Tour this fall. The headline run kicks off with a show at New York City’s Brooklyn Steel on September 12. He then heads to San Francisco, Los Angeles, Mexico City and Montreal, before jetting overseas for a massive European arena tour. Tickets are on sale now and you can visit the artist’s official website for further details.

MIKA recently debuted the first single ‘Ice Cream’ from the new album, which Rolling Stone dubbed “Summer-Anthem Bait” and TIME calls “a sugar-sweet, carefree and upbeat summer bop.” The track has been streamed 1.5 million times to date and continues to receive rave reviews.

For his first full length in five years, MIKA explores his American heritage on My Name Is Michael Holbrook. While his tumultuous childhood began in Lebanon before fleeing to Paris and then London, he focuses the album on the roots he traces back to his father’s Savannah, Georgia upbringing. The work also paints a loving picture of his relationship with his mother, the woman who trained him, made his wardrobe for years on the road and most importantly taught him never to follow and always to express himself fearlessly. After writing in home studios in Miami and Tuscany over the course of two years, MIKA went to Brussels to record with producers Marc Crew and Dan Priddy.

“I hadn’t put out a record in four years. I didn’t know what to do when it came time to start the process and was honestly kind of at a loss,” MIKA says. “I felt a little disappointed by the commercial side of the industry. I didn’t want to make a record by numbers or by committee. I wanted to make an uncontaminated, homemade pop record.”

• 1 month later...

GIGWISE

https://www.gigwise.com/reviews/3361309/album-review-mika-my-name-is-michael-holbrook

Album Review: MIKA - My Name Is Michael Holbrook

MIKA is much better whilst basking in the glory of the sun than in the dank undertones of the city’

14:13 27th September 2019

In 2007 MIKA was in his prime, releasing his debut album Life In Cartoon Motion. Each track was brought to life by MIKA’s flamboyant, invigorating energy and Mercury-esque vocals creating a style that was not just fun but refreshingly uplifting.

Now his fifth album, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, may suggest an entirely intrinsic theme but in making such a personal record, the themes ironically still seem universal. There is a thorough conversation about sex and love MIKA presides over on this album, one that explores desire and affection without suffocating in its own veiled mystique of perfume. He offers both ends of the romantic spectrum, tracks such as ‘Tiny Love’, see grandiose romantic gestures thrown out of the window for a type of affection that feels grounded and realistic, more cuddle on the couch than serenade on the balcony.

Alternatively, there are innuendos abound on ‘Ice Cream’, “the faucet keeps on drippin” just one teaser of the song’s flirtatious, sexual instincts that come entwined with synth hooks nodding back to 80s and 90s pop. Since the release of Life In Cartoon Motion, MIKA’s presence in the mainstream gaze has been lessened despite his second album The Boy Who Knew Too Much cracking the UK top 10, his efforts since have seen a steady decline in sales.

However, My Name Is Michael Holbrook recaptures the essence of MIKA’s first two albums, no more so than on ‘Platform Ballerinas’. Which can be described as theBig Girl (You Are Beautiful)’ of this album, with its frankly empowering lyrics about the beauty standards forced onto women by society and the expectations to look perfect 24/7 whilst acting in a “girly” manner. ‘Platform Ballerinas’ celebrates female individuality within a rush of endorphins generated by the cacophonous backing harmonies. 

Despite being known for exhibiting a force of positivity, the musician explores some darker tones to differing levels of effect. ‘Paloma’ is about MIKA’s sister, who in 2010 unfortunately fell out of a window and sustained life-threatening injuries. He depicts her as angelic, before being thrown from a skyline that cracks and shatters as if it was a snow globe before eventually returning to rise again by the songs end. The most emotionally affecting track, it is a heartfelt ode to his sister.

There are other tracks where MIKA’s usual outpours of positivity are stifled. ‘Cry’ is underlined with the kind of synth tones you’d expect in a risqué nightclub as he tries his hand at R&B but on an album where interesting conversations and perspectives on love are offered up so freely, this track leaves a little to be desired. As with the soulful track ‘Blue’, where conflated ideas around the connotations of the colour become a little muddled. MIKA is much better whilst basking in the glory of the sun than in the dank undertones of the city. 

When the singer is projecting his unbridled positivity, not many pop artists can come close to being as inspiring or unifying, at its most complex My Name Is Michael Holbrook explores love, sexuality and social norms under the guise of either seductive, harmony-driven synth pop or sultry nocturnal R&B. “Our generation has so much gloom”, MIKA sings on ‘Stay High’ but he rarely steps into the oblique zeitgeist, instead choosing to yet again deliver us blissful pop music.

My Name Is Michael Holbrook is released on 4 October 2019 via Virgin EMI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Closer UK

Mika

My Name is Michael Holbrook

Lebanon-born singer/songwriter and Brit Award winner Mika is back with his new album. Aptly named after himself, Mika has written all 13 tracks. We are very much enjoying the summer sound of upbeat track Ice Cream, which Mika wrote after one very hot day last summer! Out 4 Oct.

page 94

2108293762_CloserUK5_10.2019_P.94-MIKA.thumb.jpg.0286ddb2366b56f6e5126bc53b2c8b6f.jpg

1983001392_CloserUK5_10.2019_P_94.thumb.jpg.df6e3279536c72a7638197b43a5c362d.jpg

• Like 1

:no:I cannot completely agree with their album review.

The Independent

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/wilco-review-ode-to-joy-tracklist-release-date-mika-my-name-is-michael-holbrook-a9137536.html

Album review

Mika – My Name is Michael Holbrook

★★★☆☆

Mika arrived in 2007 like a sentient party popper, all Freddie Mercury vocals, boundless pop enthusiasm and telling big girls they’re beautiful. Over the years he’s become more wistful, falling in and out of love with music, his album releases becoming quieter and quieter. It’s somewhat matched the pop landscape, which has transitioned out of the unashamedly expressive gloss that Mika once perfected, and towards more downbeat, R&B-inflected cool.

My Name Is Michael Holbrook, Mika’s fifth album and his first in four years, is an uneven if admirable attempt to bridge both worlds. There is the requisite Mika sheen, most aggressively found in the thumping sex anthem “Ice Cream” (think “Milkshake” by Kelis, only enjoyably naff), and the slinky and ludicrous “Dear Jealousy”, which falls somewhere between Savage Garden and Steps.

But there are profound moments, too, such as “Paloma” – a haunting, sombre ode to Mika’s sister, and the comfortable defiance of “Tiny Love”. “My name is Michael Holbrook, I was born in 1983,” he declares. “No, I’m not losing my mind, it’s just this thing you do to me.”

Earlier in the same track, he sings of once finding life dull but that now he’s dancing. This is an album that doesn’t always hang together as a cohesive whole, but has moments that serve as a pointed and endearing reclamation of self. Who could have a problem with that?

Adam White

• Thanks 2

PINK NEWS

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/10/08/mika-cruising-gay-sex-sanremo-music-video/

October 8, 2019

Mika’s new music video sees him cruising for gay sex in the 1950s

Mika is officially back, and his latest music video for new track ‘Sanremo’ is a stunning tribute to the gay community of the 1950s.

The singer dropped the video for track ‘Sanremo’ on Friday, alongside the release of album My Name is Michael Holbrook.

The black-and-white video weaves in real-life archive recordings of discussions about homosexuality, before depicting Mika heading out into the city, evading the authorities as he cruises for gay sex.

Mika music video features struggles of gay community in 1950s.

The singer is seen saying goodbye to his wife and daughter at the start of the video, and culminates in a visit to an underground gay bar, filled with members of the LGBT+ community being their unapologetic selves.

However, the clip ends with Mika’s desired hook-up being interrupted by a police officer, as a real-life recording says: “The policy of this administration is that we do not knowingly hire homosexuals, and if we find a homosexual in our administration, we terminate their employment without delay.”

The video was directed by filmmaker W.I.Z., who explained that the video represents “an era when homosexuality if not illegal was socially unacceptable, a time of discrimination and persecution. San Remo represents his utopian dream, a fictional place of liberation and transcendence.”

Record labels thought singer was ‘too gay’ to sell music.

The singer has long included LGBT+ themes in his music, with 2007 song ‘Billy Brown’ based on a same-sex relationship, and 2015’s ‘Last Party’ inspired by the death of Freddie Mercury.

2015 track ‘Good Guys’ also included send-ups to legendary queer figures including Andy Warhol, Walt Whitman, Alfred Kinsey and David Bowie.

Speaking to Rolling Stone, he revealed: “I remember when I was trying to get a record deal, one of the heads of the label say within earshot of me, ‘It’s just a little too gay,’ and not sign me.

“If you say to someone now, ‘It’s just a little too gay, I don’t want to sign you’? One of the heads of one of the biggest labels in the world? So the times have changed. Thank God, they’ve changed.”

In a Billboard interview, he added: “From a media point of view, [queer people] are certainly not given as much s**t as before, but this question of, ‘Is it a simpler journey?’ My ass, it is!

“It is still difficult, and every person’s journey is difficult, and it’s so important to respect that.”

alexander-hamilton1.thumb.jpg.2995faffbe3e3df7bae7d6ed2488e355.jpg

Mika is on the prowl in new track 'Sanremo'

mika2.thumb.jpg.687f931c0b73f85467ef13b5af0bee66.jpg

Mika’s ‘Sanremo’ video features an underground 1950s gay bar

• Like 2