The Soundtrack of Empathy part 2, MIKA & Indeed, February 2022

mellody

Finally finished my playlist yesterday:

While my first playlist was more about how I became who I am today, with this one I tried more to express what moves me right now, worries, fears, dreams and hopes. Tho it's still mostly old songs.

I also wanted to add this one, but it's not on Spotify.

• Like 4

When I put together my playlist, I noticed that some songs I only put in there because the title or a certain line in the chorus has a particular meaning to me, and not the whole lyrics. That brought me to the idea that Mika might have included "Common people" in his playlist not for the story of rich vs poor, but for the line "I want to live like common people", as opposed to living like a celebrity, because that's not what he wants to be. Maybe the idea is a bit far-fetched, actually it was only the last thought in a series of thoughts I had, starting with the impression that some songs in Mika's playlist sound like he feels a bit misunderstood in some way. And I had been wondering why that might be / what that might refer to. And in fact I do have more trouble understanding him these days than I did during the Revelation Tour. Ok during the 2nd half of the tour. The first half I didn't understand him either, lol! But back then I had a whole album full of new songs and dozens of current interviews to analyze. Now we have Mika as an Eurovision host and a lot of cool Influencer posts ... that's why I'm always so hungry for his personal stories and posts, the bits and pieces of songs he shares, etc., or just saying hello - it makes him more real. Well, dunno, maybe it's just me. :dunno_grin:

About the song Libertango, on Wikipedia it says it's about the darker side of the Paris nightlife, but the impression I got from listening to it was more that it's about feeling stalked. Ok maybe that IS the darker side of the Paris nightlife, lol! :roftl: But it had me wondering whether some fans or autograph hunters might have turned up at Mika's hotel in Paris, after he posted about the Eurovision drawing on the shower door. :doh: I guess it won't get any better with Eurovision, Turin will be full of Paparazzi and celebrity hunters for that event. :facepalm: ... Mika always manages to put on a perfect smile, but it's obvious that it's not his fave part of the job. 

• Like 5

Although it is a lot of fun to analyze each song of eachother’s playlist into detail, I do think that the intention of the song as it is from the original artist, can be entirely different for the one listening. And this holds true for the person next to you listening to the very same song. 

The beauty of the playlist is that it will reveal *something* about someone, but not 100% everything. May it be they are fan of the same artist, may it be they like the same song, may it be the song represents (a part of) their current or past situation, may it be it is a song you don’t know and you ask them about it. It is both very personal and mysterious in a way. 

And well, Mika wouldn’t be Mika if he didn’t leave something open to interpretation, now would he :wink2:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

And well, Mika wouldn’t be Mika if he didn’t leave something open to interpretation, now would he :wink2:

true... he's making sure we have enough to talk about on here, while he's busy. :naughty:

On 2/16/2022 at 6:55 PM, BeccaStardust said:

Here’s mine 

it’s mostly songs I feel like I relate to in some way 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1eAe01iMvtTi865Moh4UND?si=kgZBXIW3SkOW-Bf6pn9VkQ

trying to slowly catch up with everyone's playlists now.

I love the Eliza Dolittle song, hadn't heard it for years and wouldn't have known it by the title, but I remembered it when listening. :wub2: And the song "I like what I like" is fun, I didn't know that song but I like it. :biggrin2:

48 minutes ago, mellody said:

trying to slowly catch up with everyone's playlists now.

I love the Eliza Dolittle song, hadn't heard it for years and wouldn't have known it by the title, but I remembered it when listening. :wub2: And the song "I like what I like" is fun, I didn't know that song but I like it. :biggrin2:

‘I like what I like’. Isn’t going to be that we’ll know since it’s from two American youtubers who do shows and skits as well as sing but I’m glad people like it  it’s fun and catchy,.

• Like 2

@mellody Your playlist is an interesting mix and I really like that! I like how the songs can reflect different moods and also evoke some emotion. I'm picking up vibe of sharing love with others and also a sense of finding peace too.
   I like listening to songs in other languages, even if I don't always understand them sometimes, the song Jetzt ist sommer is one that really stood out to me. It's quite catchy!
   I like Billy Joel's music but it's been a some time since I heard Leningrad, it seems a very poignant song and relevant to current world affairs. 
  I'm not a huge Gary Barlow fan but I can't get Incredible out of my head, it may well become a guilty pleasure song! I am a P!nk and Christina Aguilera fan, love both songs you've chosen!
  And of course, great Mika choices! 😁

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 5:34 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

@mellody Your playlist is an interesting mix and I really like that! I like how the songs can reflect different moods and also evoke some emotion. I'm picking up vibe of sharing love with others and also a sense of finding peace too.
   I like listening to songs in other languages, even if I don't always understand them sometimes, the song Jetzt ist sommer is one that really stood out to me. It's quite catchy!
   I like Billy Joel's music but it's been a some time since I heard Leningrad, it seems a very poignant song and relevant to current world affairs. 
  I'm not a huge Gary Barlow fan but I can't get Incredible out of my head, it may well become a guilty pleasure song! I am a P!nk and Christina Aguilera fan, love both songs you've chosen!
  And of course, great Mika choices! 😁

Thanks for listening. :) Part of my playlist was influenced by the current world situation, especially the last 3 songs - on my last playlist I had one song against war, this time it's a few more. Like, "where have all the flowers gone" isn't a song I usually listen to - but I know it from my childhood / early teenage years, and it just sums up the absurdity of war perfectly. Also it reminded me of Mika's post "where have all the flowers gone" a few months ago, in connection with The Rite of Spring tour.

About sharing love with others, I guess you're right, tho my intention was more to emphasize the importance of love in general against all the bad things in the world - but indeed, by sharing all the love I feel, I hope to do my part to make the world a little better. Also there are several songs about communication, because it's a topic I've been thinking about a lot recently - saying too much, saying too little, saying things through music, the fear of being misunderstood or misunderstanding others.

Jetzt ist Sommer is a song about positivity, and about summer, and I put it for both reasons, because I love summer and I love seeing things in a positive way. Also I like this barbershop a cappella style and they have quite witty lyrics. The core message is "Summer is what happens in your head", kinda like "life is what you make of it", told from the example of what you would do and feel in a cold and rainy summer.

On 2/16/2022 at 5:23 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

I don't have Spotify so created a new Soundtrack of Empathy for this year on YouTube. 

Here it is:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-qhMzj0DAdwGhMoU4zSz8GVAjrwpg55v

I limited myself to 22 songs but could have very easily added more than double that! If I were to some up my playlist in one word it would be 'Happiness'! (and there is a song in there actually called Happiness too 🙂). There's a reason behind every song as to why I choose them, including the least happy one 'Say Something'. Surprisingly only 2 Mika songs this time, I think I had 4 last year 😅

I can share my last one too if anyone's interested 😊

Haven't given Mika's playlist a listen yet, I do recognise 5 songs though, glad he still included Tongue, that's one of my favourites! 😛

Finally got to listen to your playlist too! It's nice to be able to also watch the music videos on youtube, but all the ads are a test for my patience, lol! :lol3: I didn't know most of the songs from the title (except Mika, Mary Poppins and David Bowie), but recognized a few more when listening... like the one from Rihanna, and Icona Pop, and Year 3000 - that's a really fun song, I always liked it, but never seen the music video before, haha! Caro Emerald is awesome, I think I might have heard these songs as well before, but I mostly know her hits. Seen her live once in Munich, several years ago, when Wouter Hamel was her support act, and I mainly went to see him... but really enjoyed her gig as well!

Say Something is a song I hadn't heard before, it's interesting to see that it has over 300 Million views, wow! As you say, it's quite melancholic. My biggest positive surprise in your playlist was High Hopes, I love its message and also the video.

May I ask why you chose Say Something, and also Year 3000? The latter is really fun, so ofc I can see how it fits to your topic of Happiness, but I can't really find a deeper meaning behind it than them describing a fictional fun trip to the future, that's why I'm asking. :) 

13 hours ago, mellody said:

Caro Emerald is awesome. Seen her live once in Munich, several years ago,

Oh my word, you're so lucky! I'd love to see her one day! I guess technically I have seen her live, I watched her live youtube concert during lockdown! She really is awesome and her music means a lot to me. 😊

13 hours ago, mellody said:

May I ask why you chose Say Something, and also Year 3000?

You would have to ask about two of my most personal songs! 😅 It's ok though I don't mind explaining them. 

Say Something is on my playlist to represent how I've felt in the past. I'm one of those people that really struggles to talk about how I'm feeling, it's something I feel like I am getting better at though! But in the past my anxiety has made me have days where I just shut down and I wouldn't talk on these days. Not a single word. That's why Say Something is an important song to me, it reminds me of the tough love tactic that someone very close to me tried to get me to open up, especially the line "Say something I'm giving up on you". I didn't want that person to give up on me and I don't want to give up on myself either so I have learned over time to say something.

Year 3000 has a funnier reason for being on my playlist. When I was 16 me and a friend would actually share music with each other to get to know each other better (very much like the Soundtrack of Empathy!). We were getting very close and then we had "a moment" while listening to Year 3000. You know what I mean? A moment where you realise you really REALLY like this person. Year 3000 was our moment of happiness. We never actually got together (whole other story) so we made a ridiculous bet. Which ever one of us got to the year 3000 first would owe the other 1 million pounds! 😁
No time machines or cryogenic freezing allowed, we just agreed to find ways to live longer! :lmfao:

Absolutely ridiculous I know, but it made us laugh and the song reminds me of that happy time with my friend 😊.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbn4XyKFwiH/

indeedworks

Ready to go on tour with @mikainstagram ?🎤 Join me #ForTheRiteOfSpring for a behind-the-scenes pass 🎟.

What are you most excited to see? Let me know by commenting below!

#SoundtrackOfEmpathy #MIKATour

5 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbn4XyKFwiH/

indeedworks

Ready to go on tour with @mikainstagram ?🎤 Join me #ForTheRiteOfSpring for a behind-the-scenes pass 🎟.

What are you most excited to see? Let me know by commenting below!

#SoundtrackOfEmpathy #MIKATour

And twitter

Laura talking with Mika  :wub2: