The Soundtrack of Empathy part 2, MIKA & Indeed, February 2022

mellody

47 minutes ago, krysady said:

Actually Mika chose to recreate this performance for his team at The Voice in 2018, it was hilarious :thumb_yello:

How could I forget this? :baghead: :doh::lmfao:

Thank you for reminding me :hug:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Bless them! I don't know who they are but that dance is wonderful! 💕

It is a scene from "La cité de la peur" (which is a comedy)  that was recreated years after for festival de Cannes.

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 4

OK, so I've listened to most of both soundtracks by now, and I'm already itching to explore more of Christine and the Queens and The Avalanches - thanks Mika! :clap:

I really enjoyed the tracks by MNEK and Mashrou' Leila too, but the rest were more like fun "dance through my chores" music than anything, or they were by artists I already have in my collection (Ella, Nina, Harry, and minimal Pulp and Kylie Minogue). Vampire Weekend has been on my radar for a while, but I've never listened to them seriously - maybe now is the time?

It's interesting to me that some of you have delved so deep into the lyrics, as I tend to be more of a beat-melody-general vibe listener, but then again, the lyrics can be everything sometimes (Mika's music being a prime example). All the more reason to give the playlists another go-around. :) Hoping to get to y'alls over the weekend, or at least the ones I can gain access to! *shakes fist at Spotify*

Edited by Aki Celeste
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 8:53 PM, krysady said:

Actually Mika chose to recreate this performance for his team at The Voice in 2018, it was hilarious :thumb_yello:

OMG that was brilliant! So sweet and funny. :wub2:

I gave up on that season because I couldn't stand Obispo, but now I'm wondering what else I've missed!

• Haha 3

I wonder what "Common People" stands for in his playlist. Maybe the feeling of not fitting in, of feeling rejected? A bit like Grace Kelly? The lyrics rather reflect the opposite of empathy. The girl from a rich family wants to be with the guy and fit in with his friends, and he gives it a half-hearted try by taking her to the supermarket and then it seems to be his mind going to all sorts of scenarios that lead him to the conclusion that it'll never work out. It doesn't seem to me like he's describing actual scenarios, but just how he THINKS she would feel about certain things. So it's actually quite sad, they want to be together, but the guy is so scared of rejection for being "common" that he rejects her because she's rich. I like the song, but I don't like the story... I prefer happy endings. :dunno_grin: Well but I guess Mika likes such stories. Just thinking of Lady Jane, lol! :naughty: That's a song I like, although it doesn't have a  happy ending... but I guess that is because at least they love each other and try to find each other through all the problems, while in 'Common people' the guy gives up before it even started.

Actually when I read the first line, I immediately thought of Andy, "She came from Greece..." :teehee: but as I kept reading the lyrics, I thought it must refer to something else. The feeling of not fitting in, or the fear of rejection are the most likely options to me.

I still haven't finished my playlist, but at least I already found a few songs that I want to put on there. While looking, I came across this song, hadn't heard of the song or of the artist before, but the song and the lyrics really moved me. Thought I might put it in my playlist, but the recorded version or other performances I've looked at don't give me the same feeling as this particular one, so I guess I'll just share the video here:

3 hours ago, mellody said:

I came across this song, hadn't heard of the song or of the artist before, but the song and the lyrics really moved me. Thought I might put it in my playlist, but the recorded version or other performances I've looked at don't give me the same feeling as this particular one, so I guess I'll just share the video here:

It's good. But the piano intro reminded me of the original demo version of Overrated, I nearly sang it! :lol3:

• Haha 1

I've listened to Mika's playlist in full now, and I'm about 70% like, 20% not sure need to listen a few more times, and 10% yuck no thanks. I couldn't listen to the Foster the People song, I'm sure it's good but something in the singer's voice just puts me on edge. :no:

I really like Stor Mand, no idea what they're singing about but I love the rhythm and mellody. And Makambo is incredible, with an almost spiritual effect.

And, I think I understand the choice of Casanova in hell. Yes at the start it's about insecurity, not being yourself, hiding behind a facade of what others expect... but towards the end, that's turned on it's head. The protagonist has come to terms and found his way forward, taking control of his life and writing his own story, making sure he's remembered as he wants to be. It's actually quite triumphant in tone. I like to think that's reflective of Mika now, after all the years of uncertainty and heartache, he now has the confidence to believe in and lead himself. We've certainly seen that with how he's paired up with indeed, seeking new sponsorship and opportunities away from the rigidity and limitations of the industry . 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Hero said:

And, I think I understand the choice of Casanova in hell. Yes at the start it's about insecurity, not being yourself, hiding behind a facade of what others expect... but towards the end, that's turned on it's head. The protagonist has come to terms and found his way forward, taking control of his life and writing his own story, making sure he's remembered as he wants to be. It's actually quite triumphant in tone. I like to think that's reflective of Mika now, after all the years of uncertainty and heartache, he now has the confidence to believe in and lead himself. We've certainly seen that with how he's paired up with indeed, seeking new sponsorship and opportunities away from the rigidity and limitations of the industry . 

The more I think about the song, the more twisted it seems to me. Casanova in the song is insecure, yes, but it seems to be his own expectations that he can't fulfil, not those of others. Also, if he has thoughts of rape, or even does rape the girl (it's not 100% clear, but first it says he can't cast his spell on her and then that he's hiding behind a drape, and then he suddenly seems to be with her, so maybe that means it doesn't stay a dream?), of course it serves him right what happens next (avoiding certain words here, so we won't attract some spam bots, lol!). Apparently he's a control freak. And if he tells his story the way he wants to see himself, that's actually not the truth but a facade to seem better than he is.

I wonder if Mika might be referring to Social Media by putting this song on his playlist, all the polished pix on Instagram, where you just see what people want you to see, while in reality there might be a dark story behind it. I agree with you tho about the aspect of writing your own story - as I also said about putting negative experiences into songs. "There was beauty in that, too". Mika definitely is a lot more confident these days, I can also see that in several songs in his playlist. And in what he says about not hiding behind a label or management.

So, well, he might reveal everything about himself with that playlist, but we still don't know everything about him because most of the songs leave a lot of room for interpretation of what it might refer to for Mika. :roftl:

• Like 1

@BeccaStardust @linzijay @Aki Celeste

I've had a good listen to your playlists, and I just love that I've discovered so many great songs that I've never heard before!

@BeccaStardust the songs in your playlist are very similar to the music I listen to, some great choices there. I especially loved the Skull Puppies track! I get the vibe of overcoming something and also about being in a new place. Also liked Rhett and Link, and can also relate the the Reb Day song.

@linzijay  your playlist makes me want to just be in the moment and relax. Makes me think that brighter days are just ahead. Fellow George Ezra fan here too, love his music, and thanks for making me rediscover Marina! I will be listening to more of her music now.

Both your playlists though give me the sense of just being who you are and accepting your true selves. Love the positivity amongst your choices.

@Aki Celeste  your playlist really took me down a rabbit hole! I understand why you say it's melancholic, but there was something relaxing about your choices too, definitely not on the sadder side of melancholy. If anything quite a few of your choices made me feel happy! A couple of songs made me wonder if they reflect a bit of jealousy? Please tell me if I'm completely wrong though! I also pick up on the feeling that some of the songs show a sense of belonging somewhere, feeling connected to a particular place perhaps. I particularly liked Aberdeen, Hot One and Listen to the Rain.

Hetty and the Jazzato Band will definitely send me down another rabbit hole too! 

I hope the Soundtrack of Empathy becomes a regular thing, I really love sharing music anyway and it truly is a great way to get to know someone a little better. In a way sharing a playlist is very personal, you're putting a little piece of yourself out to the world where anyone can begin to interpret who you are. Hopefully doing this does create more empathy amongst people 😊

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

@BeccaStardust @linzijay @Aki Celeste

I've had a good listen to your playlists, and I just love that I've discovered so many great songs that I've never heard before!

@BeccaStardust the songs in your playlist are very similar to the music I listen to, some great choices there. I especially loved the Skull Puppies track! I get the vibe of overcoming something and also about being in a new place. Also liked Rhett and Link, and can also relate the the Reb Day song.

@linzijay  your playlist makes me want to just be in the moment and relax. Makes me think that brighter days are just ahead. Fellow George Ezra fan here too, love his music, and thanks for making me rediscover Marina! I will be listening to more of her music now.

Both your playlists though give me the sense of just being who you are and accepting your true selves. Love the positivity amongst your choices.

@Aki Celeste  your playlist really took me down a rabbit hole! I understand why you say it's melancholic, but there was something relaxing about your choices too, definitely not on the sadder side of melancholy. If anything quite a few of your choices made me feel happy! A couple of songs made me wonder if they reflect a bit of jealousy? Please tell me if I'm completely wrong though! I also pick up on the feeling that some of the songs show a sense of belonging somewhere, feeling connected to a particular place perhaps. I particularly liked Aberdeen, Hot One and Listen to the Rain.

Hetty and the Jazzato Band will definitely send me down another rabbit hole too! 

I hope the Soundtrack of Empathy becomes a regular thing, I really love sharing music anyway and it truly is a great way to get to know someone a little better. In a way sharing a playlist is very personal, you're putting a little piece of yourself out to the world where anyone can begin to interpret who you are. Hopefully doing this does create more empathy amongst people 😊

The Rhett and Link song was on there before I made it the soundtrack of empathy playlist 

both the skull puppies and Reb song I found while looking for anxiety/ asexual songs to relate to and liked them 

call me maybe is the meme song and his a story behind it (basically I sung it at school )

im glad you liked my playlist 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 12:08 AM, mellody said:

I wonder what "Common People" stands for in his playlist. Maybe the feeling of not fitting in, of feeling rejected? A bit like Grace Kelly? The lyrics rather reflect the opposite of empathy. The girl from a rich family wants to be with the guy and fit in with his friends, and he gives it a half-hearted try by taking her to the supermarket and then it seems to be his mind going to all sorts of scenarios that lead him to the conclusion that it'll never work out. It doesn't seem to me like he's describing actual scenarios, but just how he THINKS she would feel about certain things. So it's actually quite sad, they want to be together, but the guy is so scared of rejection for being "common" that he rejects her because she's rich. I like the song, but I don't like the story... I prefer happy endings. :dunno_grin: Well but I guess Mika likes such stories. Just thinking of Lady Jane, lol! :naughty: That's a song I like, although it doesn't have a  happy ending... but I guess that is because at least they love each other and try to find each other through all the problems, while in 'Common people' the guy gives up before it even started.

Actually Common People is about how somebody rich can never understand what it's like to be really poor with no hope.

I have listened to so much music over the past 48 hours, it's positively pouring out of my ears by now! Starting with finishing up Mika's most recent SoE. After reading all the ambivalent comments on Casanova in Hell, I was surprised to find that I actually liked the song quite a bit, for the sound if not the lyrics so much. I'm glad he followed it up with the Donna Lewis song, in fact I feel like most of the songs toward the end of the playlist were much more gentle... with the exception of Call It What You Want, which I also really liked for both the song and the weird music video. Always a good idea to end on something more up-tempo. :) 

Regarding other playlists, I'm still stuck in YouTube mode, so @TinyLove_CJ 's is the only SoE I've managed to listen to so far. I enjoyed how you had an overall theme of happiness, but approached it in several different ways throughout the playlist. I was familiar with a few of them (kudos for including Space Oddity, Happy Feet, and vintage Mary Poppins!), but I was thrilled to discover Icona Pop and Caro Emerald, not to mention the Panic! At The Disco song, which I hadn't heard yet despite loving them during my university years.

You also gave me some ideas for updating my own, as I'd forgotten to include favorite musicals and/or TV theme songs among them (from my musical theatre days). It ended up being a seriously long-ass playlist, but I'm glad you were able to find some you liked! It's interesting that you picked up on a feeling of jealousy, along with the two-sided coin of melancholy and relaxation. I wouldn't personally describe it as jealousy, but maybe more as a feeling of longing, and recognizing that not all desires are attainable, if that makes any sense. :blink: I don't particularly mind hanging out in that emotional space, as I find that it can color my life with appreciation for what I do have. 

All this to say, I love how this exercise is not only a way to share our inner experience, but also to see how others perceive us and make us reflect on how we can present ourselves more authentically. I used to only share music with people I was already close to, but I'm appreciating this way of doing it too!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, silver said:

Actually Common People is about how somebody rich can never understand what it's like to be really poor with no hope.

So what's your theory of why Mika put it in his playlist? Other than "he likes it" - I think he put more thought into it than that. Mika has been both rich and poor in his life, so he knows both sides. I sometimes read comments on Twitter that mock him for being rich, maybe it refers to that... anyway I do think people can understand each other, with empathy. While you're probably right about the song, as also the girl doesn't seem very empathic, but a bit naive, just saying "I wanna live like common people" without really knowing what it means, and laughs when the guy says "pretend you have no money". I didn't realize this side of it at first. I suppose the motivation for rich people to really understand what it means to be poor usually isn't very high.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mellody said:

So what's your theory of why Mika put it in his playlist? Other than "he likes it" - I think he put more thought into it than that. Mika has been both rich and poor in his life, so he knows both sides. I sometimes read comments on Twitter that mock him for being rich, maybe it refers to that... anyway I do think people can understand each other, with empathy. While you're probably right about the song, as also the girl doesn't seem very empathic, but a bit naive, just saying "I wanna live like common people" without really knowing what it means, and laughs when the guy says "pretend you have no money". I didn't realize this side of it at first. I suppose the motivation for rich people to really understand what it means to be poor usually isn't very high.

I think he just likes it :naughty:  Or maybe he incudes it as an example of someone (the girl) who lacks empathy?

10 minutes ago, Aki Celeste said:

but I was thrilled to discover Icona Pop and Caro Emerald,

The Icona Pop track is a nod to my own "I don't care" attitude towards anyone who questions my life choices, and Caro Emerald is just awesome and everyone should love her! 😁

High Hopes is one where I can really relate the lyrics, when I heard it for the first time it was like they were singing about me! 😅

Happy Feet is from my Uni days! I used to play it really loudly in my room when the other girls came back drunk from a night out :naughty:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Happy Feet is from my Uni days! I used to play it really loudly in my room when the other girls came back drunk from a night out :naughty:

Hahaha, that's awesome. I didn't much care for excessive drinking myself, but managed to avoid noisy-drunk roommates for the most part. I'm more familiar with the Manhattan Rhythm Kings version, but Kermit the Frog rocks it! :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Both your playlists though give me the sense of just being who you are and accepting your true selves. Love the positivity amongst your choices

I still need to listen to more Marina songs, I'm glad you were able to rediscover her music because of me! George Ezra's great, his music has a very uplifting and unique feeling to it and his are some of the songs that I would say were among the "inspiring" ones on my playlist.

I really need to catch up on listening to everyone's soundtracks, though I have taken a look at everyone's song choices. Work has been very time consuming lately...

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 8:31 AM, TinyLove_CJ said:

After completing my own playlist I kept thinking of more songs that I could have added so I've already started to create a 3rd one!

Well, I just split my YouTube monster playlist in two and posted them on my new Spotify account as the Pandemic Edition and Before Times Edition, so... you are perfectly entitled to create another playlist. :D The YouTube version of mine is more comprehensive though, as some of the songs were not available on Spotify, most notably the two that you mentioned liking, ironically enough!

@BeccaStardust and @linzijay, I'm looking forward to listening to yours on Spotify - I can see already some that I recognize, but many that I don't, which is excellent!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aki Celeste said:

Well, I just split my YouTube monster playlist in two and posted them on my new Spotify account as the Pandemic Edition and Before Times Edition, so... you are perfectly entitled to create another playlist. :D The YouTube version of mine is more comprehensive though, as some of the songs were not available on Spotify, most notably the two that you mentioned liking, ironically enough!

@BeccaStardust and @linzijay, I'm looking forward to listening to yours on Spotify - I can see already some that I recognize, but many that I don't, which is excellent!

If its easier I can try and find all the Songs on youtube so Its more acessable 

16 minutes ago, BeccaStardust said:

If its easier I can try and find all the Songs on youtube so Its more acessable 

Thanks for offering! I have the free edition of Spotify, so it might rearrange the order of the song or insert ads, but I should still be able to listen. If you do end up replicating your playlist on YouTube, let me know.

• Like 1

OK, I couldn't help myself - it felt odd leaving Mika off my other playlist and I was compelled to create a separate soundtrack of all the Mika songs that have held some deeper emotional meaning for me over the past year or so. It's not an exhaustive playlist, but it does roughly follow an internal journey, perhaps even a storyline, in my mind. I tried to pay an equal amount of attention to the music and the lyrics with my choices - be warned however that I may have weighed a little heavy on the musical side, as per usual!

And... if Mika is reading this: THANK YOU for paving a lovely yellow brick road to my own inner rainbow of creative imaginings, not to mention the outer rainbow of living in this complicated world with grace and humor. You've helped me more than you'll ever know. :)

Edited by Aki Celeste
  • Like 3

I wonder if Mika got inspiration from Common People for his song Talk About You? I know the songs have different meanings but I'm just going by Mika's line "We're common people, we're common people in love" 🤔

• Like 1