The Soundtrack of Empathy part 2, MIKA & Indeed, February 2022

mellody

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaAYidDl-g5/

Connecting you with amazing work is our jam, but we also want to create more connected workplaces. Along with @mikainstagram, we’re bringing back #SoundtrackofEmpathy. Since our music speaks volumes about us, sharing a playlist with a coworker also means sharing ourselves. Make yours now. 🎵
3 h
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ooh, I like the snippet of Stor Mand, will have to look that one up. :yes:

This is one of the great pleasures of following Mika, not only do we get to enjoy him and his music, but we also get to discover songs and artists that otherwise we simply might not have heard. I love his generosity. :wub2:

Edit: I see the lickey lickey Tongue is still there.. :teehee:

Edited by Hero
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, BeccaStardust said:

So I already had a playlist of Songs I felt related to me but have updated it and made it into a Soundtrack Of Empathy Playlist 

Still working on it but Would be happy to share here 

I also feel bad that I only know Like 3 songs on Mika's Playlist

I only know the beatles one :lmfao:

That being said I might know others  without knowing their names because unless I fall in love with a song I don't bother to know what it is :wink2: and I haven't had time to listen to the songs yet. So don't feel bad :itsok:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BeccaStardust said:

I also feel bad that I only know Like 3 songs on Mika's Playlist

13 minutes ago, crazyaboutmika said:

I only know the beatles one :lmfao:

That being said I might know others  without knowing their names because unless I fall in love with a song I don't bother to know what it is :wink2:

I beat you all, I don't know any of the songs by name only. And like Anne, I might know some songs when I listen to them, but not know the name of the song. And yes, I feel bad about it too. On the other hand, Mika at Star Académie said that the songs that describe you best are often not the best known, which makes me feel a bit better. :original:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Prisca said:

I beat you all, I don't know any of the songs by name only. And like Anne, I might know some songs when I listen to them, but not know the name of the song. And yes, I feel bad about it too. On the other hand, Mika at Star Académie said that the songs that describe you best are often not the best known, which makes me feel a bit better. :original:

This is true :thumb_yello: :hug:

• Like 1

I knew 5 songs of his playlist right away, and 3 more when listening to them - well, one of those is Tongue, which he had in his last Soundtrack of Empathy playlist, that's where I know it from.

Common people is a song I've heard on the radio before, but I didn't recognize it from the title. Also Libertango sounds familiar when listening, tho not sure where I might have heard it.

"We can work it out", of course I know that - I had a cassette with Beatles songs as a teenager, which I listened to as often as I now listen to Mika albums, which is a LOT :lol: and that song was on there. "Escapade" was played on the radio massively when it came out, and I listened to the radio a lot back then. Same with the Donna Lewis song.

"Heal the Pain" is one of my fave songs, I also had it in my first Soundtrack of Empathy playlist. The melody is absolutely beautiful and the lyrics speak of empathy, of being a friend to someone who has been hurt. It's on George Michael's Freedom album, which I listened to a lot for some time in my early 20s - especially this song, on repeat, 20 times in a row. :wub2: Listen to it if you haven't, it's such a beautiful song! And finally, "What a difference a day made", I mainly knew that in the disco version by Esther Phillips, but it has been covered a lot... according to Wikipedia it was originally written in Spanish, and the version Mika used for his playlist is the first English version. It's this feeling you have when you're freshly in love, or someone you love just made you very happy. I think it's a feeling many people know and love, and this song captures it perfectly, it often comes to my mind whenever I feel like this.

I love the Ella Fitzgerald song he put on his playlist, "It's only a paper moon" - I hadn't heard it before, but it's a lovely song and I like the message Mika sends with it - in fact, I wonder if it's directed at his fans. He often talks about his fascination with theater, with creating an imaginary world.

"You say it's only a paper moon
Sailing over a cardboard sea
But it wouldn't be make believe if you believed in me"

This world he creates with his music and his shows is only filled with meaning if he has an audience who listens to him, and believes that him and us together can make this imaginary world a part of our reality. A bit hard to explain what I mean, but I do get the feeling from the lyrics of this song that it's about Mika and his fans. "Harmony Hall" might be about the music industry. Another one basically says "don't label me" (I think it was "Call it what you want"). "Tongue" reminds me a lot of "Ready to call this love", from the meaning of the lyrics. And one is about jealousy, I think it was the arabic one. So for some songs it's totally clear to me how they represent parts of Mika's personality, because it's things he has said before in interviews or in his own songs. Some don't surprise me, tho it's sides of him he doesn't show that much in public. About others I'm just :blink: as to what he wants to say with them. As he said "Reveal EVERYTHING about yourself!", I assume that's what he did too... but also in my last playlist I had a few songs that just represented a part of my life for some reason, maybe because I often listened to them at the time, but the lyrics don't have a particular meaning to me. So maybe also in Mika's playlists it's a mix between both. Anyway it was very interesting to listen and look up the lyrics, and I'll surely do that again, to maybe understand more.

Makambo is a song against war and fighting, from what I understand?

Btw, feel free to share your Soundtrack of Empathy playlists here as well - I think that's what Mika does it for, so we can all share our music with each other and maybe get to know each other better through that. :group_hug: I still have to create a new one, might take me a few days. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mellody said:

He often talks about his fascination with theater, with creating an imaginary world.

"You say it's only a paper moon
Sailing over a cardboard sea
But it wouldn't be make believe if you believed in me"

This world he creates with his music and his shows is only filled with meaning if he has an audience who listens to him, and believes that him and us together can make this imaginary world a part of our reality.

Yes, I love this! Also love that there are so many songs on his list that we don't know yet (although I've certainly heard of at least half of the artists). I tend to enjoy it more when I learn about unfamiliar songs from my friends and co-workers, just as I enjoy introducing them to my favorite songs (like, say... ones by Mika? :) ). It's nice when we share similar taste too, but the real thrill for me is in discovering and sharing something new, just as it helps me to see a side of them I might not have seen before.

Spotify is being shirty with me and won't let me log in or play anything, so it might be a little while before I get to Mika's latest, but it'll make it all the sweeter once I finally listen to it. <3

UPDATE: I just watched/listened to Tongue for the first time, on Youtube. :teehee: Should I be worried that some of the other songs might not be entirely suitable for work? It's a great song, and I'm tickled that Mika included it on BOTH playlists, but the innuendo is...well. :blush:

Edited by Aki Celeste
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't have Spotify so created a new Soundtrack of Empathy for this year on YouTube. 

Here it is:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-qhMzj0DAdwGhMoU4zSz8GVAjrwpg55v

I limited myself to 22 songs but could have very easily added more than double that! If I were to some up my playlist in one word it would be 'Happiness'! (and there is a song in there actually called Happiness too 🙂). There's a reason behind every song as to why I choose them, including the least happy one 'Say Something'. Surprisingly only 2 Mika songs this time, I think I had 4 last year 😅

I can share my last one too if anyone's interested 😊

Haven't given Mika's playlist a listen yet, I do recognise 5 songs though, glad he still included Tongue, that's one of my favourites! 😛

• Like 1

Thank you @TinyLove_CJ and everyone who's shared so far, I look forward to listening!

I've created my own Soundtrack of Empathy on YouTube, but I'm still in the pruning process, as right now it's at a whopping 33 songs (even though I've limited myself to under 5 min per song and did not include any Mika)! Here's the link if anyone wants to take a look or have a listen. I've arranged the songs roughly in chronological order, according to when each song came into my life, although there's also meant to be a flow to the energy of the music, in mix-tape style. :) Most are audio, with just a few music videos sprinkled in for fun...enjoy!

• Like 3

I am so happy that the Soundtrack of Empathy is happening again, since I was kind of late to the game last year and I think it's such a wonderful thing. Here's my playlist if anyone wants to look at it/listen to it, it's about 25 songs I think which I may tweak as time goes by: 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/496TmxyFjZpXBMQ1atk0hQ?si=e2f117e269094967

It's mostly songs that I either feel reflect who I am in some way, inspire me, or a little bit of both. I've found that most music inspires me in the first place because I relate to it in some way. Not sure if anyone else feels that way, but that's how it seems to work for me.

Fun Fact: Dear Jealousy started playing off my playlist, I guess, when I tried to share the link and I wasn't expecting it. It scared me :lol:

• Like 4

19 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I've made Mika's playlist on YouTube too

Just want to say that the music video for Mashy Haddy is hilarious!!! 😆

Anyway I had a listen through Mika's playlist and I think it's quite an unusual mix for him compared to last year. There's more in there that I really don't like at all. Common People is a good one though and listening to it again after such a long time made me appreciate it more. Also Vampire Weekend with Harmony Hall, I love their music and listening to the lyrics and can understand what you mean @mellody about it potentially being about the music industry for Mika. Think I'm now in love with Janet Jackson too, Escapade is a great song. I hadn't heard Sugar Daddy before, I guess that's showing Mika's cheeky side (and that's putting it lightly! :teehee:). And Tongue of course, that has a cheekiness to it but in a sweet way. Really don't get why Casanova in Hell is in the playlist, I don't think Pet Shop Boys would get away with releasing it in today's world, it comes across as quite inappropriate and I don't understand why Mika would choose that song, but that's just my opinion on it :dunno:. Makambo was an interesting delight, to say it's about war I actually found the song really peaceful, at least I can understand with that one why Mika chose it. As for all the other songs their just not my cup of tea but of course the whole point is to understand a little more about Mika without having him to really explain why he chose those songs.

Just want to add too that when I listened to Libertango I couldn't get the image out of my head of Mika doing the tango with Andy, now that's something I'd really like to see! 😁

After completing my own playlist I kept thinking of more songs that I could have added so I've already started to create a 3rd one! 😅

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Really don't get why Casanova in Hell is in the playlist,

I had been wondering about that too, but meanwhile I'm thinking, maybe it's not to be taken literally, but rather stands for fear of failure in your most vulnerable moment but the power of putting such an experience into a story, or, in Mika's case, in a song, where you can turn things around so people see you as the hero instead of as a failure. Something like that? :dunno_grin:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Just want to say that the music video for Mashy Haddy is hilarious!!! 😆

Anyway I had a listen through Mika's playlist and I think it's quite an unusual mix for him compared to last year. There's more in there that I really don't like at all. Common People is a good one though and listening to it again after such a long time made me appreciate it more. Also Vampire Weekend with Harmony Hall, I love their music and listening to the lyrics and can understand what you mean @mellody about it potentially being about the music industry for Mika. Think I'm now in love with Janet Jackson too, Escapade is a great song. I hadn't heard Sugar Daddy before, I guess that's showing Mika's cheeky side (and that's putting it lightly! :teehee:). And Tongue of course, that has a cheekiness to it but in a sweet way. Really don't get why Casanova in Hell is in the playlist, I don't think Pet Shop Boys would get away with releasing it in today's world, it comes across as quite inappropriate and I don't understand why Mika would choose that song, but that's just my opinion on it :dunno:. Makambo was an interesting delight, to say it's about war I actually found the song really peaceful, at least I can understand with that one why Mika chose it. As for all the other songs their just not my cup of tea but of course the whole point is to understand a little more about Mika without having him to really explain why he chose those songs.

Just want to add too that when I listened to Libertango I couldn't get the image out of my head of Mika doing the tango with Andy, now that's something I'd really like to see! 😁

After completing my own playlist I kept thinking of more songs that I could have added so I've already started to create a 3rd one! 😅

I'd love to see Mika and Andy dancing a tango together :wub2: but you  reminded me of this epic dance 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyaboutmika said:

I'd love to see Mika and Andy dancing a tango together :wub2: but you  reminded me of this epic dance 

Bless them! I don't know who they are but that dance is wonderful! 💕

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mellody said:

in Mika's case, in a song, where you can turn things around so people see you as the hero instead of as a failure.

That's a good explanation actually, I never thought of it like that. 

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

To be pressured to be a certain role, but knowing that is not your true self

That's a good point too! But I hope Mika doesn't feel pressured to be a Casanova :teehee:

Being the person he his I'm sure Mika doesn't take the song in a literal sense, it is more likely that it represents a different time he went through i.e dealing with pressure or his sexuality 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Actually Mika chose to recreate this performance for his team at The Voice in 2018, it was hilarious :thumb_yello:

• Like 4