MIKA in US Press 2023

dcdeb

Nice to see that The Piano has generated more interest in Mika again! This is just a reworking of the recent iNews article, but still...

https://instinctmagazine.com/get-to-know-more-about-uk-pop-star-reality-tv-judge-mika/

Get To Know More About UK Pop Star, Reality TV Judge, Mika

IMG_7135.jpg?resize=828,734&quality=100&

Pop star. Judge on The Voice. Judge on The X Factor. No we aren’t talking about Britney Spears. Nope, not Demi Lovato. Not Kelly Rowland either. The pop star and reality tv judge we are talking about today is UK singing sensation Mika.

A post shared by MIKA (@mikainstagram)

Last week Instinct magazine reported on the homophobia Schitt’s Creek star Dan Levy experienced early in his career, something that Mika also experienced. U.S. Radio wouldn’t play the X Factor [Italian version] judge’s songs because as he said, ‘we’d love to play this song, but it’s just a little too gay.’ The Love Today singer continued to explain how the times have changed,

“I think you wouldn’t be able to get away with some of those comments and articles today. I was accused of being brazen, but I think it was brazen homophobia. I’m 39 years old now, the world’s moved on, so I’m not afraid to say it. And it was such a waste of time”.

The Voice judge [French version] did bring up the infamous 2007 Guardian article that asked, “Why won’t Mika give us a straight answer” explaining, “There was confusion that I was drawing: ‘what is he?’ All this questioning about sexuality, and about emotional and musical and stylistic exuberance that in today’s pop culture is celebrated.”

On a lighter note, the Good Guys singer is visibly excited getting the chance to discuss filming The Piano, “It’s a beautiful show. It made me feel like the world is an OK place”. As previously reported by Inews the premise of The Piano centers around,

“amateur pianists head to public pianos at four train stations across the country, thinking they are contributing to a documentary about the rise of street piano playing. Little do they know, they are taking part in a reality TV contest: as they play for commuters, Mika and revered virtuoso Chinese pianist Lang Lang are secretly watching from back rooms (“during the heatwave with no air conditioning!”) to judge the performances and put their favourites through to a grand final held at London’s Royal Festival Hall.” 

Mika ends the interview on a positive note exclaiming, “The industry was not one of the most kind or conducive places for making you at ease with your own identity or sexuality back then. It always takes a while, but I’ve learned to be myself. Honestly, I don’t change very much anymore. I’ve been this weird eccentric within my own kind of crafted pop world. And I’m going to stick with it”.  

A post shared by MIKA (@mikainstagram)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This review is posted to The Piano thread.

👇

https://www.mikafanclub.com/topic/36317-mika-as-a-judge-for-the-piano-channel-4-uk-2023/?do=findComment&comment=4272309

The Guardian (USA)

24 Feb 2023 Joel Snape

theguardian-usa-24-february-2023.thumb.jpg.493767793a537d5cc7d3990cb1e6659b.jpg

Tinkling the ivories and tugging the heart strings:

is The Piano the most uplifting TV talent show ever?

Is there an instrument with more emotional range than the piano?

Sometimes, it is tough to believe that the same collection of wood and wires can make you stamp your feet with delight one minute and wipe away a tear the next. But that’s exactly what happens in The Piano, the perfect showcase for the instrument’s versatility. So far, the show has been to railway stations in London and Leeds, treating crowds of commuters to everything from Debussy to Darude – with London playing host to virtuosos as young as 11 and as old as 92.

And, spoiler alert, there’s plenty to applaud and get misty-eyed about. Take Daniel, the 14-year-old who describes himself as “quite shy” and then belts out a heartstring-twanging version of the Goo Goo Dolls’ Iris with an octave-jump that gets the crowd applauding. Or 71-year-old Liam, who has built a shed on wheels to haul his own upright around, holding back his own tears as he plays a Chopin nocturne, and explaining via voiceover that the instrument is “not always an easy friend, but a great friend”. Reader, did I even get a little lump in my throat when Christopher the waistcoat-wearing pub pianist was (quite kindly) told to stop singing by host Claudia Winkleman, and immediately found a new level to his performance on the keys?

I’m not ashamed to tell you that I absolutely did.

And then there’s Lucy. Thirteenyear-old Lucy was diagnosed with cancerous tumours of the eyes after she was born and has no vision. She is also developmentally delayed, meaning that she can’t hold a conversation. But when she was young, she played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on a toy piano in hospital – so well that the nurses assumed it was pre-recorded – and since then, she has been using the piano to communicate in a way that she might otherwise find impossible. Working with a teacher from the Amber Trust, she puts her hands on top of his to feel the correct way to play – and when she sits down at the station piano, the results are mesmerising.

Watching her play Nocturne in B flat minor by Chopin, the show’s judges Mika and Lang Lang are uncharacteristically speechless, the station crowd falling silent as she plays with a dexterity and delicacy that many professionals don’t have. “You can be a great pianist, but if you’re always performing, sometimes the emotion becomes less genuine,” says Lang Lang, once he recovers. “But she plays so beautifully, and that emotion is so sincere.”

My five-year-old’s review was shorter:

“How can she do that? That’s incredible” –and that’s really the beauty of the whole show. Watching the crowds cry, or clap, or tap their feet, it’s impossible not to wonder how many of those train travellers – or the audience at home – are seeing something that looks like fun, something that they could have a go at, or something that felt out of reach until they saw a self-taught bricklayer playing his own compositions, or a 21-year-old mechanic making St Pancras station jump with boogie woogie improv. Mika and Lang Lang (hiding near a champagne bar in episode one, and next to the station toilets by episode two) riff off each other brilliantly, with the chart musician providing a perfect bridge between the worlds of pop and classical music for his virtuoso fellow judge. “I promise, this is not what Abba’s supposed to sound like,” he says as a duo sing over one another during a cover of Dancing Queen, in what is probably the most scathing moment of criticism in the entire show.

Because, in the end, The Piano is the absolute opposite of a Simon Cowell-produced talent show. You show up just for the love of playing, and then – surprise! – you didn’t know you were in a competition, but you’ve actually already won, because you get to meet the world’s greatest pianist, who has been listening to you all along. Then it turns out that there’s a concert at London’s Royal Festival Hall and only one person gets to perform, but – surprise again! – that doesn’t really matter, because you still all get to jam out together at the end of the show, sharing your love for your instrument before you get a ticket to the concert anyway. It is not about who’s the best; it’s about doing something to the best of your ability because it improves your life, and if you can watch it without wanting to run out and practise a thing that brings you joy, I will be very surprised. I don’t think my own choppy rendition of the Jurassic Park theme is going to bring anyone on a railway station concourse to tears, but I’ll be brushing up on it while I wait for episode three.

• The Piano is on Channel 4 now

the_guardian-usa-24-february-2023_page-38.thumb.jpg.3306c50907b67478b8974f1950dcbcb9.jpg

Page 40

the_guardian-usa-24-february2023_p-38.thumb.jpg.e348b320c58588be11216e5fd8a61882.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Variety

Mar 7, 2023 1:00am PT

https://variety.com/2023/global/news/the-great-british-bake-off-love-productions-the-piano-fremantle-1235545251/

‘The Great British Bake Off’ Producer Love Productions’ Format ‘The Piano’ Snapped Up by Fremantle

Fremantle has acquired global rights to “The Piano,” the format from Love Productions, makers of “The Great British Bake Off.

“The Piano,” hosted by Claudia Winkleman, recently launched in the U.K. on broadcaster Channel 4 and is a ratings success. Created by Richard McKerrow, the British version of the format sees talented amateur pianists invited each week to play on public pianos in well-known train stations. Unknown to the performers, acclaimed classical pianist Lang Lang and platinum selling pop superstar Mika are secretly watching and one performer from each train station is invited to perform on one of the world’s most prestigious stages. 

The finale that airs March 15, will bring together four pianists at London’s The Royal Festival Hall, where they will showcase their talent in solo performances in front of an audience of thousands.

Fremantle holds the global rights for the format outside of North America.

Vasha Wallace, executive VP global acquisitions and development at Fremantle, said: “To say we’re thrilled to have the rights to this format is an understatement, ‘The Piano’ is emotional, authentic and one of the most compelling shows I have ever watched. The great thing about this format is that we see contestants from all walks of life who don’t even know they’re in a competition.  We’ve seen such diversity and strong stories since ‘The Piano’ premiered on Channel 4, and we look forward to seeing new versions of this wonderful series everywhere. Love Productions have an amazing track record with the likes of ‘The Great British Bake Off’ and given our track record with music talent shows, this is a dream partnership for us.”

McKerrow, CEO and executive producer at Love Productions, added:

“The making of this brand new format, ‘The Piano,’ has been a creatively exhilarating and uplifting experience. We’ve been able to work with such a broad and diverse range of pianists bravely expressing themselves in such a passionate heartfelt way on public pianos in railway stations across the country. Looked after so generously by Claudia Winkleman and observed by the extraordinary Mika and Lang Lang, this remarkable trio bring a magical, soulful quality to this television series which we hope feels rare and unusual. And we are excited to be expanding an original and special idea like this internationally with Fremantle.”

The-Piano_q70.thumb.jpg.4d5ec842937d611f2df31cdbd7999bc6.jpg

• Like 1

Fremantle

https://fremantle.com/fremantle-acquires-global-rights-to-the-piano/

March 7th 2023

Fremantle acquires global rights to The Piano

We have acquired the global rights to latest talent sensation The Piano – the highly sought after format from Love Productions.

The series, from the makers of The Great British Bake Off, recently launched in the UK as the best new format launch for Channel 4 in six years. Viewing figures for The Piano have continued to grow from episode one and now Fremantle have come on board to continue this success worldwide. The Piano is both a search for and a celebration of the nation’s best amateur pianists.

The Piano will form part of  our Spring Entertainment slate, which was recently unveiled at London Screenings.

Vasha Wallace, EVP Global Acquisitions and Development, Fremantle, said: “To say we’re thrilled to have the rights to this format is an understatement, The Piano is emotional, authentic and one of the most compelling shows I have ever watched.  The great thing about this format is that we see contestants from all walks of life who don’t even know they’re in a competition. We’ve seen such diversity and strong stories since The Piano premiered on Channel 4, and we look forward to seeing new versions of this wonderful series everywhere. Love Productions have an amazing track record with the likes of The Great British Bake Off and given our track record with music talent shows, this is a dream partnership for us.”

Rich McKerrow, CEO and Executive Producer, Love Productions added:

“The making of this brand new format, The Piano, has been a creatively exhilarating and uplifting experience. We’ve been able to work with such a broad and diverse range of pianists bravely expressing themselves in such a passionate heartfelt way on public pianos in railway stations across the country. Looked after so generously by Claudia Winkleman and observed by the extraordinary Mika and Lang Lang, this remarkable trio bring a magical, soulful quality to this television series which we hope feels rare and unusual. And we are excited to be expanding an original and special idea like this internationally with Fremantle.”

The Piano sees talented amateur pianists invited to play on public pianos, sharing their stories and music with the general public. Passers-by across the country will be stopped in their tracks as heartfelt, emotional and uplifting performances take place. However, what the pianists don’t know is that two acclaimed performers are secretly watching and one pianist will be given a once in a lifetime invitation to play on one of the world’s most prestigious stages.

The format debuted on Channel 4 in the UK as a five-part series to celebrate the nation’s favourite instrument. Hosted by Claudia Winkleman, each week, talented amateur pianists are invited to play on public pianos in well-known train stations. Unbeknownst to the performers, Lang Lang who is widely regarded as one of the greatest classical pianist of the modern era and platinum selling pop superstar Mika – will be secretly watching and one performer from each train station will be invited to perform on one of the world’s most prestigious stages.

The final, which airs March 15 at 9pm (GMT), will bring together four amazing pianists at The Royal Festival Hall in London, where they will showcase their talent in solo performances in front of an audience of thousands.

The Piano is created by Richard McKerrow and comes from the makers of The Great British Bake Off, Love Productions. Fremantle holds the global rights for the format outside of North America.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kumazzz said:

Fremantle

https://fremantle.com/fremantle-acquires-global-rights-to-the-piano/

March 7th 2023

Fremantle acquires global rights to The Piano

We have acquired the global rights to latest talent sensation The Piano – the highly sought after format from Love Productions.

The series, from the makers of The Great British Bake Off, recently launched in the UK as the best new format launch for Channel 4 in six years. Viewing figures for The Piano have continued to grow from episode one and now Fremantle have come on board to continue this success worldwide. The Piano is both a search for and a celebration of the nation’s best amateur pianists.

The Piano will form part of  our Spring Entertainment slate, which was recently unveiled at London Screenings.

Vasha Wallace, EVP Global Acquisitions and Development, Fremantle, said: “To say we’re thrilled to have the rights to this format is an understatement, The Piano is emotional, authentic and one of the most compelling shows I have ever watched.  The great thing about this format is that we see contestants from all walks of life who don’t even know they’re in a competition. We’ve seen such diversity and strong stories since The Piano premiered on Channel 4, and we look forward to seeing new versions of this wonderful series everywhere. Love Productions have an amazing track record with the likes of The Great British Bake Off and given our track record with music talent shows, this is a dream partnership for us.”

Rich McKerrow, CEO and Executive Producer, Love Productions added:

“The making of this brand new format, The Piano, has been a creatively exhilarating and uplifting experience. We’ve been able to work with such a broad and diverse range of pianists bravely expressing themselves in such a passionate heartfelt way on public pianos in railway stations across the country. Looked after so generously by Claudia Winkleman and observed by the extraordinary Mika and Lang Lang, this remarkable trio bring a magical, soulful quality to this television series which we hope feels rare and unusual. And we are excited to be expanding an original and special idea like this internationally with Fremantle.”

The Piano sees talented amateur pianists invited to play on public pianos, sharing their stories and music with the general public. Passers-by across the country will be stopped in their tracks as heartfelt, emotional and uplifting performances take place. However, what the pianists don’t know is that two acclaimed performers are secretly watching and one pianist will be given a once in a lifetime invitation to play on one of the world’s most prestigious stages.

The format debuted on Channel 4 in the UK as a five-part series to celebrate the nation’s favourite instrument. Hosted by Claudia Winkleman, each week, talented amateur pianists are invited to play on public pianos in well-known train stations. Unbeknownst to the performers, Lang Lang who is widely regarded as one of the greatest classical pianist of the modern era and platinum selling pop superstar Mika – will be secretly watching and one performer from each train station will be invited to perform on one of the world’s most prestigious stages.

The final, which airs March 15 at 9pm (GMT), will bring together four amazing pianists at The Royal Festival Hall in London, where they will showcase their talent in solo performances in front of an audience of thousands.

The Piano is created by Richard McKerrow and comes from the makers of The Great British Bake Off, Love Productions. Fremantle holds the global rights for the format outside of North America.

But how will they maintain the element of surprise? In some countries pianists might have read about " The Piano."  However, as far as Italy is concerned, I've been able to find only one  Italian article on line that talks about The Piano.

Edited by SusanT

2 hours ago, SusanT said:

But how will they maintain the element of surprise?

I wonder as well... if they will change the rules and people will know they are taking part in a competition, I doubt it would be the same genuine feeling. When they know they are watched and judged, their way of playing will be different.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, krysady said:

I wonder as well... if they will change the rules and people will know they are taking part in a competition, I doubt it would be the same genuine feeling. When they know they are watched and judged, their way of playing will be different.

Exactly. This was my thought as well. 

They have to change the rules. And it will not be the same. But I hope they will not concentrate on the competition but on people and their passion.

I am so happy that Mika agreed to take part of this first genuine season ❤️

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Exactly. This was my thought as well. 

They have to change the rules. And it will not be the same. But I hope they will not concentrate on the competition but on people and their passion.

I am so happy that Mika agreed to take part of this first genuine season ❤️

And of course at the time MIka didn't know the program would be such a hit.  🧡  

Just as a reminder of what The Guardian wrote:

Both [ Mika and Lang Lang] are multiple platinum-selling artists who sell out gigs pretty much anywhere. What persuaded them to take part for – as series creator Richard McKerrow admits – “not much money”? Eagerness to spread the piano gospel. . . .

For Mika, the appeal was the show’s sweetness and lack of cynicism. . . . “The concept was quite pure,” he says. “It’s so refreshing to talk about music and musicians without the stereotypical pathos, 15-minutes-of-fame approach of every other TV contest.”

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SusanT said:

And of course at the time MIka didn't know the program would be such a hit.  🧡  

Just as a reminder of what The Guardian wrote:

Both [ Mika and Lang Lang] are multiple platinum-selling artists who sell out gigs pretty much anywhere. What persuaded them to take part for – as series creator Richard McKerrow admits – “not much money”? Eagerness to spread the piano gospel. . . .

For Mika, the appeal was the show’s sweetness and lack of cynicism. . . . “The concept was quite pure,” he says. “It’s so refreshing to talk about music and musicians without the stereotypical pathos, 15-minutes-of-fame approach of every other TV contest.”

At least nobody will tell that Mika accepted this program just for money :wink2: (as some say about the Voice or X Factor)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Billboard

https://www.billboard.com/lists/lgbtq-anthems-queer-pride-songs/grace-kelly-mika-2007/

06/2/2023

65 Top LGBTQ Anthems of All Time

Here's a countdown of the songs that define queer culture.

How does a song become a gay anthem? Like the LGBTQ+ community itself, our soundtrack is vast and diverse. We have recorded our history and contribution to the culture through music, and with this list we acknowledge and remember the forerunners that have made possible the positive changes we’ve seen over the decades. These songs are a testimony to our resilience and excellence.

While it’s impossible to define exactly what makes a song “gay,” this list definitely isn’t straight. You will see many overlaps between this list and some of the best house and disco tracks that were blasted in the ballrooms, as well as transformative hits by our beloved big-voiced divas. There are introspective slow jams by queer artists and allies that mirror our struggles with self-acceptance and social rejection. There are Billboard Hot 100-topping sensations and hidden gems that are forgotten or yet to be discovered; instant classics and songs that grew to be our community’s favorites. Besides the best-known songs that are essential to a list like this, we wish to highlight the queer musicians who deserve a spotlight, too.

To keep this countdown diverse, artists were only allowed one song on this list, and it is still growing and changing as our fight continues. As you browse the selections on this list, check out what actions you can take against the anti-LGBTQ+ bills in legislatures across the country. Regressive, fear-based tactics are being used to disenfranchise and silence the LGBTQ community, which makes living our truth as important as it’s ever been. And when you need that little extra boost of confidence, music’s got your back.

65 “Grace Kelly,” Mika, 2007

Several of Mika’s songs could have made this list (“We Are Golden,” “Lollipop,” or “Last Party,” a song about Freddie Mercury’s infamous last party before he died), but “Grace Kelly” is why we fell in love with him in the first place: He’s authentically queer and has no interest in conforming.

PRIDE_2023.thumb.jpg.84abd7a9d2664b34f074b9b9a92a9e69.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Cosmopolitan

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/a32132029/lgbt-pride-songs-gay-anthems/

Published: May 19, 2023

The 30 Best LGBTQ+-Inspired Songs About Love and Acceptance

Get ready to turn these alllll the way up.

Loving and accepting yourself is easier said than done, no matter who you are or what you’re going through. But music can get you through pretty much anything. Thankfully, for members of the LGBTQ+ community, there are a lot of people (including some of our favorite musical artists) who have been there before and want to offer their support through their music. Sometimes the song you need is an angsty anthem, and sometimes you need to sit in your feelings with a ballad. There are truly songs for every occasion.

Here are the best LGBTQ+-inspired songs from the recent past that help spread the idea of love and acceptance of all people, no matter who they are or who they love, and some with lyrical tips for being an ally.

"Grace Kelly," by Mika

When you've "gone identity mad" just like Mika, this song is here for you. This song is about not putting yourself in a box and conforming to someone else's idea of who or how you should be. Its lyrics are defiant and angry but the tune is cheerful and confident, totally in control, which makes for a cathartic combo. (Also, if you're excited about the Wicked movie and haven't heard Mika's Wicked-ly talented collab with Ariana Grande called "Popular Song," run don't walk.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-inspirational-lgbtq-anthems-pride-songs-1234773829

June 28, 2023

Let Love Rule

The 50 Most Inspirational LGBTQ Songs of All Time

From dance-floor classics to soaring ballads, from Xtina to Gloria Gaynor — these songs provide a sense of hope and freedom that has carried the community through tough times

Music has long been a beacon of light for the LGBTQ community, at times a call to celebration and other times a source of solace. The songs documenting the queer experience are as diverse as the community itself, and a reminder that everybody’s story plays out at its own tempo. 

While there have been many iconic anthems to soundtrack Pride parties and gay gatherings alike, there are equally as many songs to turn to in the more introspective moments of life. These are the songs that have inspired our Rolling Stone editors — and millions of others — on their individual journeys. Whether you’re struggling, healing, or just learning to love yourself, there’s something here for you.

Mika

'Happy Ending'
2023-06-28RollingStone.thumb.jpg.374b0307e86f08a3ffe6ffb0c8ec025d.jpg
Mairo Cinquetti/NurPhoto/Getty Images

For sheer youthful exuberance, you can’t beat “We Are Golden,” but “Happy Ending” is the start of an even more beautiful story. Not every saga or relationship ends joyously, but the piano-led orchestration, uplifting choir, and purity of Mika’s soaring falsetto and emotional resonance distill hope from despair and make this heartbreaker one of the most determinative and inspirational songs in his catalog. Happy endings, indeed. —S.P.

• Like 1

OUT

https://www.out.com/gay-music/under-appreciated-gay-pride-anthems

06/07/23

20 Underappreciated Pride Anthems

There's no such thing as too many Pride anthems!

This playlist proves that no matter how many songs are given the title of "Pride Anthem," there's always room for more!

Every year, more and more talented queer artists are putting out songs that celebrate being gay, loving yourself, and being proud of your LGBTQ+ identity. And every year, we add more songs to our Pride playlists.

These are some songs from the past fifteen years that might have slipped past your radar, but that you need to add to your Pride playlists right now. Some of these songs will make you want to dance with that cutie at the bar, some will empower you to feel your sexiest, some might make you cry, but all of them will make you happy to be queer!

• 1. "Ashley" by Zolita
  • 2. "Booty" by Saucy Santana ft. Latto
  • 3. "It's Okay to Cry" by SOPHIE
  • 4. "Grace Kelly" by MIKA
  • 5. "Whataya Want From Me" by Adam Lambert
  • 6. "Girlfriend" by Rebecca Black
  • 7. "Make Me Feel" by Janelle Monáe
  • 8. "Closer" by Tegan and Sara
  • 9. "What I Need" by Hayley Kiyoko ft. Kehlani
  • 10. "Rainbow" by Kesha
  • 11. "Explode" by Big Freedia
  • 12. "Casual" by Chappell Roan
  • 13. "XS" by Rina Sawayama
  • 14. "girls just wanna have sex" by mazie
  • 15. "Sua Cara" by Major Lazer ft. Anitta and Pabllo Vittar
  • 16. "I Run This Club" by Cakes Da Killa
  • 17. "Bestie" by Sizzy Rocket
  • 18. "Blow Out My Candle" by Betty Who
  • 19. "Wut" by Le1f
  • 20. "Click (No Boys Remix)" by Charli XCX ft. Kim Petras and Slayyter

• 5 months later...

UPROXX

https://uproxx.com/pop/queer-independent-artists-albums-representation/

POP LIFE

Queer Independent Artists Share The Albums That Helped Them Feel Seen

Navigating life’s challenging moments, it’s common to seek solace in the power of music. The perfect combination of lyrics can make one feel understood, offering a comforting sense of validation. This holds particularly true for members of the LGBTQ community, whose initial encounters with queer representation often occur within the realms of entertainment, whether on-screen or through song.

“The baby lezzie in me was screaming to have a cultural icon to look up to,” dance artist Kaleena Zanders recalls seeing Queen Latifah’s music video for “U.N.I.T.Y.” for the first time. “I even wrote a letter to her using the address in the booklet of her CD, telling her how much she meant to me.”

We reached out to ten emerging LGBTQ artists to share the albums that helped them feel seen. Their responses spanned the spectrum of canonically queer classics from Frank Ocean and Lady Gaga to the unconventional allure of icons like Lil’ Kim: “Her bold style and sex-positive lyrics not only captivated me, but also inspired me to pursue my own passion for guy rapping,” hip-hop artist Hearthrob Robb shared of his hero.

Zee Machine

For fans of: MUNA, Adam Lambert

While many up-and-coming artists are finding their audiences through TikTok, it takes a special kind of talent to convert casual viewers into ticket-buying fans. Such is not the case with pop maestro Zee Machine; thanks to their undeniable vocal chops and charismatic stage presence, their latest Los Angeles set sold out.

Check out: “Thunder,” “The Radio”

The album that made him feel seen:

I truly believe that Life In Cartoon Motion saved my love of pop music.

Having emerged from a period of time where my iPod rotation was dominated by classic rock guitars and dense prog rock, Mika tore through that the moment he climbed his stratospheric falsetto in the verse of “Love Today.”

There was a part of me that was almost afraid to give into the technicolor bombast that he brought to every song. Giving us more of a modern-day Freddie Mercury than we had ever seen, looking back this was the first time I opened myself up to unpretentious queer joy in music.

• Like 2