2024 - Mika @ Civic Hall, Wolverhampton, UK, 5 April REPORTS / VIDS / PICS

I've moved the posts that are more setlist discussions than reports (including my own post) to the setlist discussions thread:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

“Aww thanks, that’s cute, babe”

I just can’t :lol3:

I mean, at least Rufus did reply to Mika instead of just ignoring his message... 🙈 :naughty: But it sounds pretty arrogant, no wonder Mika was disappointed. And well, hearing that makes me appreciate Mika's modesty more, even if he sometimes annoys me with it, like when he doesn't play his amazing French songs in the UK...

But if I'm honest, without even knowing much about Rufus, that's the kind of reply I'd have expected from him. Few artists get the right balance between "I don't care" and "I care too much". Mika often cares too much, like about what other people might think, and he's scared to disappoint. That might seem nice to others, but it won't make him happy. I guess if Rufus had such thoughts in the early days of his career, he drowned them in alcohol & drugs - and now he just doesn't care because he learned the hard way that there are more important things than his career. At least that's my interpretation. Or maybe he just didn't know what else to reply.

• Like 3

Fantastic night at the show. Last saw Mika at the Birmingham show 14 years ago, so we were pleased to see him advertised locally again! 

Was pleasantly surprised by the venue - but mainly by the front of stage staff - really attentive, ensuring everyone was hydrated etc. 

Doubt they are on here, but wished I'd have had chance to say how fantastic the two ladies with the chap in the wheelchair on the rail were. They clearly did their very best to ensure he had a fantastic time and it was lovely to see! 

As for mika - well...The joy he has on his face throughout the show is a beautiful thing to witness. 

Me & my dad both felt this show was on a  completely different level to the last Birmingham show - with props and backing singers etc Mika creates the most amazing show - almost like a theatre show. But last night was so much more personal and somehow intimate. Without props to deal with, the stage was purely the wonderful band, and 100% Mika energy and joy. 

However - Only negative of the night was pre-mika really - no communication about the delays happening or why and the DJ warm up didn't seem to have quite read the room in regards to what music to play. This was shown by being able to hear people loudly talking over all the songs she played (except for the moment ABBA came on, when the entire room sang along!). You could tell the crowd in 'hell' were becoming antsy as by thr time Mika came on at around 8.50, a lot of us had been standing round for 3hours + . 20240405_205816.thumb.jpg.def6bb334186b5ccdd9919086ebead5a.jpg

Either way I got some great photos and videos and me & my dad had a great evening!  Attached one of my favourite photos  😀 .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Btw, Nina posted the full version of Good Guys, including what he said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5arEjEthnM/?igsh=ZDVidzVyM3FiZmhs

Mika says no matter who you like or whether you're gay or straight or anything in between, it's important to have heroes. I gotta say, I see it a bit more differentiated meanwhile. Maybe he was only talking about teenagers, but the concept of a "hero" doesn't really work for me anymore, as it did when I was a teenager. You can admire someone for aspects of their personality or their skills, their talent, their discipline, their creativity or their looks, etc. (or all of that) - but nobody is perfect and wishing to be like someone else doesn't work. Sure, sometimes I also do wish that, but I don't try to achieve it. Somone can be a role model for certain aspects you'd like to improve for yourself, but of a hero you'd expect perfection, and/or you'd expect the hero to save you. You expect something from them that lies within your own responsibility, not in theirs. And in extreme cases admiration might turn into hate, if the disappointment of reality is too big.

That's why I never call Mika "king" or "boss", as some other fans do. I admire him for many things, but I know he's not perfect, neither is his life as a popstar. He's not happier than I am - sometimes maybe even the opposite. He can be my hero in a certain situation, like when he unexpectedly shows how much he cares, or at a concert with a version of a song that really moves me... but that's specific moments, and it's never an expectation. Like, the cake & flowers in Berlin - I might have expected a thank you from him in some way, maybe just by posting a photo of it with a smiley... but what he did, posting a video and even thanking and tagging his German fanclub came very unexpectedly and made me very happy. :wub2:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mellody said:

Somone can be a role model for certain aspects you'd like to improve for yourself, but of a hero you'd expect perfection, and/or you'd expect the hero to save you. You expect something from them that lies within your own responsibility, not in theirs.

That‘s really interesting, I know what you mean.
I mean I‘m a bit similar, I‘ve never really had big hereos even as a teenager and I don‘t really get starstruck because I just cannot see anyone as anything other than… human.

But I think what Mika is saying is more along the lines of "representation is important". Seeing yourself in people who are similar to you and that showing you that there is indeed a path for you the way you are.

He‘s said before that people like Rufus Wainwright showed him that there was space for him in the music industry, that he could succeed by making the music he makes. 

It‘s not about wishing to be like them but realizing that you are a bit like them and that‘s ok because if they‘re happy then you can be too :) 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

That‘s really interesting, I know what you mean.
I mean I‘m a bit similar, I‘ve never really had big hereos even as a teenager and I don‘t really get starstruck because I just cannot see anyone as anything other than… human.

But I think what Mika is saying is more along the lines of "representation is important". Seeing yourself in people who are similar to you and that showing you that there is indeed a path for you the way you are.

He‘s said before that people like Rufus Wainwright showed him that there was space for him in the music industry, that he could succeed by making the music he makes. 

It‘s not about wishing to be like them but realizing that you are a bit like them and that‘s ok because if they‘re happy then you can be too :) 

Good point, but I think it's both. Mika seemed to have expected a less generic reply from Rufus to what he told him, and when he says / agrees to "never meet your heroes", I don't think it refers to the representation he saw in Rufus as a teenager. That's what I was referring to. This representation you mention is more like what I mean by having a role model.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2024 at 12:12 PM, Lilibet said:

First song was Origin of Love. 
Think the setlist was the same but just without Bougez. 

I'm imagine that's going to be it for tonight in Manchester, too.

What a pity as I was hoping for an English/French blend. It's certainly bringing a message we need to hear.

Does anyone know around how long Mikas shows are on this tour please? Just so I know when to arrange my pick up for after tonight’s show in Manchester!! 

Also, how long after doors open does he usually come on stage? Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Calycats said:

Does anyone know around how long Mikas shows are on this tour please? Just so I know when to arrange my pick up for after tonight’s show in Manchester!! 

Sorry I don't know. 

He used to have support bands

❤ ah, Pull Tiger Tail ❤

But I'd guess 8.30 ish.

I don't even know the names of his musicians any more.

Are any of them the same as Munich - 2011?

I'm a bad fan....

21 minutes ago, Ruth said:

Sorry I don't know. 

He used to have support bands

❤ ah, Pull Tiger Tail ❤

But I'd guess 8.30 ish.

I'm a bad fan....

thanks for the information! This will be my first Mika concert tonight so I’m very excited!! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Calycats said:

Wolverhampton he came on stage around 8.50, but im guessing it was supposed to be 8.30? 

Ending wise I think we got out the venue just before 11, but we waited for most people to rush out first. Don't forget your lift may encounter quite abit of traffic from other taxis etc (unsure what the layout for your venue access is obviously, been many years since I went to a gig in Manchester!).

Hope that helps? 

2 minutes ago, Purplehatgrrl said:

Wolverhampton he came on stage around 8.50, but im guessing it was supposed to be 8.30? 

Ending wise I think we got out the venue just before 11, but we waited for most people to rush out first. Don't forget your lift may encounter quite abit of traffic from other taxis etc (unsure what the layout for your venue access is obviously, been many years since I went to a gig in Manchester!).

Hope that helps? 

Thanks a lot! That’s amazing. I’m asking my lift to park a 10-15 minute walk away so hopefully it won’t be too busy!!

44 minutes ago, Calycats said:

His set in Wolverhampton was the shortest so far (from the amount of songs), probably because the birdcage didn't fit through the door, like the piano, and so he couldn't sing Bougez.

In Berlin the doors opened 6:30pm and he came on stage at 9pm (support act was on at 8). The show finished shortly after 11.

41 minutes ago, Ruth said:

I'm a bad fan....

Munich 2012, yes, his bassist Max Taylor already was in the band back then. He has blond hair now. 

Drums: Wouter van Tornhout

Guitar: Clément de Witt

Keys: Alban Claudin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Getty images

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/mika-wolverhampton-?family=editorial

Mika Performs At The Halls Wolverhampton

WOLVERHAMPTON, ENGLAND
- APRIL 05:
Mika performs at The Halls Wolverhampton on April 5, 2024 in Wolverhampton, England.
(Photo by Katja Ogrin/Redferns)

INSTAGRAM
Katja Ogrin

It was so much fun, I totally want to have another go especially as I missed the wings and cage and all the usual first song drama!

29 images

MikaWolverhampton_GettyImages.thumb.jpg.3d045bf9786e1b10a274e607328d09e7.jpg

Some images from the Getty.

mika-performs-at-the-halls-wolverhampton

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mellody said:

Munich 2012, yes, his bassist Max Taylor already was in the band back then. He has blond hair now. 

Drums: Wouter van Tornhout

Guitar: Clément de Witt

Keys: Alban Claudin

Thanks Karin, I knew you'd be quick to help xxx

• Like 2

On 4/6/2024 at 6:00 AM, dcdeb said:

Fanny shared this hilarious "Billy Brown" from tonight in Wolverhampton. Apparently the gorgeous wing piano couldn't fit through the door of the venue, so Mika had to play "air piano".  Such a goofball!  :lol3:

Wonderful! 

Mika off script is still the best xxx

• Like 1

I was at the Wolverhampton concert which was fantastic and the Manchester one also amazing so I was lucky enought to see him play air piano and the real white paino, in a way it felt very special that out of the entire Apocalypse Calypso tour Wolverhampton was the only once that got to see him mess around playing air piano, brilliant by the way. Does anyone know if Andy was there only at the end of the evening I saw a guy who looked just like him and wearing a lanyard. what do you think

• Like 1