Mika @ London KOKO 22 Feb 2007

Sunny Monkey

So the talking really spoilt Over My Shoulder then? Or was it just annoying? Wish I'd been there! *note to self...must buy tickets to these gigs early!!* :)

Apparently Brian May was there! Legend!

I wouldn't say spoilt as such, it was more of an annoyance. I was right at the front stage left though by the speaker so I couldn't really hear the talking so much- might have been worse further back. It was noticable though.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it was very annoying! I couldn't believe my ears! what a lack of respect... pfff i heard some "shhhhhhhhhhhhhh" lol but too late...

it is Quality that counts not Qunatity.

Sorry not an argument for me! If he brings the best musicians in the world, an orchestra or whatever and played PERFECTLY just ONE song, would you still think that quality counts more than quantity??!! :wink2:

Quality is very important of course but quantity too ;)

Glad to hear that the 2 free concerts were as long as the paying ones... :thumbdown:

Sorry not an argument for me! If he brings the best musicians in the world, an orchestra or whatever and played PERFECTLY just ONE song, would you still think that quality counts more than quantity??!! :wink2:

Quality is very important of course but quantity too ;)

Glad to hear that the 2 free concerts were as long as the paying ones... :thumbdown:

You have a point BUT I personally had nothing to compare it to as In Mika playing live.

You can't please evryone with the Setlist, but normally this sort of thing is arranaged a couple of months before- illness or no illness. Yes you do have a right to feel a little short changed, but I would rather have a smashing 40 minute set with him at his best rather than and hour and half of filler or under-performance.

If people where booing at the end, that is more shocking than anything else IMHO.

As for the one song better than plenty, there are some bands and artists who reval in the short set-list. Just look at Queen at Live-Aid, 3 songs and they blew every one else off the stage.

Live Aid is totally different, there were not the only artists and the 3 songs were quite long if I do remember well!

Anyway, I don't think it's shocking to hear people booing, it meant they wanted more... that's it... I didn't boo cause I was alone lol but I already did for Coldplay & Muse... because their show was way too short (both booed for 10 minutes lol in Paris ;))

Do you think, i mean REALLY (lol) that Mika would have under-performed if he had added like 3-4 songs ?

Quite surprised by this idea that artists should have to pad out their set with covers of other people's work. I would have thought that if you went to a concert that you'd want to hear music by that artist not him/her doing covers of other people's songs...I remember going to the Feeling's concert and admittedly they did a cover of Radio Ga Ga - which was perhaps the best song that night...but mika's songs are going to be better than any covers...so what's the point?

Also the comment about the setlist being the same as the 'free' concerts is a bit misleading...they may have been 'free' but there wasn't guaranteed entry...in other words people paid tonight for the privilege of getting in to see what, from the looks of photos already on the web...was pretty spectacular!

I'm sure Mika must have tons more songs that didn't make it onto the album, for a start we know of 'satellite' which was on the Grace Kelly 7". But at the same time...I can just imagine the complaints people would make if he performed songs which weren't available on the album or in single format...it seems perfectly sensible that on what is ultimately his first proper UK tour he should do no more than just the songs on the album.

I went to the show he did in Brighton ages ago and we were ecstatic at the end of that...and it only had 6/7 songs! 10 songs is a luxury I'm yet to experience!

From what I can gather there was only one song cut from the set. I don't think this was a shortened concert due to illness. I think that this gig was only ever intended to be approx 45 mins.

Like I said in my earlier post, gigs of this size are generally shorter in length. Mika's situation is unusual in that he has become more well-known since the tickets for these gigs went on sale. Had he still been a relatively unknown artist, I think your opinion on the length of concert would be different.

Anyway that is my opinion. I certainly will not be disappointed to see Mika perform 10 songs in an intimate venue tomorrow evening. It will probably be the one and only time I get to see him perform in such a small venue, and I shall savour every one of the 40 minutes.

Actually, if you work it out - my ticket was £8.00 - if he plays 10 songs, that's 80p per song. Only 1p more than i-tunes for live music ... fantastic value!

This is true, and a big understatement, it's just a different ball game now, but these gigs were planned before it all blew up. I don't know of course, but I would expect May to be different, but God knows when he will get time to sort out a new set.

In case anyone influential ever reads this, I love all of the songs from the album, but please add Satellite to the set, Mika's voice is just divine on that track!

wow!!!

Hey I think 45 mins is fine , and Ive been to concerts that were upto 3 hours and I wa just bored!!!!

Mika was hardly known only a couple of months ago , when hes playing to thousands of poeple next year then we can say we say him wih only a few way less than a thousand! .. yeaaahhh , the lucky chosen few , I would hate him to pack out the show with lots of covers , hes not X Factor but a unique artsist .

Queen done 5 songs ish at live Aid ... ???

As for people buying tickets off ebay for a fortune , errr thats there call .mmm

Cant wait

Could you buy things at the show ????

:thumb_yello:

Right.. here goes!

After the show.. my sister and I was loitering around waiting for the place to clear (cos my sis and I were right at the front!) Had a lovely chat with the lovely Jemmalee and was looking for the loos and making our way out (was very reluctant to leave and actually wanted another drink but they closed the bar!) I spotted Mikey Choi, Mika's Bass Guitarist and just went over to chat to him! He then invited us to the after party!!! Such a nice guy!!

My sis and I grabbed ourselves a drink were playing it cool, wondering what to do next.. where to stand.. who to talk to ..spotting all the band members :band: , Secret Society people and Mika's sister in the crowd. :cool:

We managed to find a spot and there was a lot of commotion... next thing I know.. Mika's just walked past.. heading towards the VIP area.. shortly followed by.. Brian May himself! :punk: .... I couldn't believe my eyes! I followed them all towards the VIP area and planted myself nearby. Trying to get a picture somehow whilst trying to maintain my cool and not look like a crazed stalker fan. :naughty:

We eventually had to find the loos.. and on the way back bumped into Martin Waugh, Mika's Guitarist and grabbed a photo op. Stuck around to take a couple of photos of Brian May leaving (though not very good ones) and Mika was also making an exit.

We stuck around a bit more and grabbed photos with Cherisse and Mikey (and thanked him again for getting us in!)

The party was winding down and we were on our last drinks when Mika’s Manager, Jerry, came over to us and offered us both a cocktail! :blush-anim-cl: Was brilliant! Had a lovely conversation with him – was introduced to Stars? Mika’s assistant and also their marketing guy (can’t remember his name) who was quite tipsy!

My sister and I were literally last to leave KOKO at 12:30am, with security bolting the doors as we left… after showing Jerry the best direction to stand to catch a cab back to Soho, my sis and I jumped on the night bus home with HUGE smiles on our faces!

Freakin awesome night! :yay: I am still beaming today!! Can't wait for 14th May!!!!

Yea we saw Luke.. sooooo gorgeous. :wub2: but was always surrounded by girls!.. didn't want to interupt any conversations to take a photo.. so we just admired from a few feet away

Who were these girls? How come they were in there instead of some more worthy members of this forum??

Just read the whole thread rather than focusing on the after show party bit!!!!!! I would have paid ebay prices to see Mika for 30 mins. Like everyone had said the original price was around £10 a ticket........ Mei Mei and Jem PLEASE can i gate crash the after show party with you guys in London in May. The best I have had so far is dreaming about mika last nght...Oh My God I just cant get over it Mika and Brian.:mf_lustslow: You lucky lucky people...