mika you are tops!

Steph

If Freddie gives it the stamp of approval, I don't think it can be argued ;)

Ok. I'm DONE debating this! now lets talk about how Mika will eventually save the world.

Yeh today is no argue day ..pleaseeeeee :biggrin2:

<ThatPinkSock thanks>

Hey im not always right , just not a confrontational type of guy really ...:bleh:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there Steph. How's it going tonight? It's true what you say there. Mika has brought us all together in this club. I am making friends here. :groupwave:

It's great.

:wink2: Take care

this thread was never intended to simply 'glorify Mika or the mikafanclub' but merely to celebrate that it has brought together many different nationalities and found and helped great people who think alike and through that it has laid the grounds for many lasting friendships ..and that to my mind is worth celebrating!..

And I thanx God everyday for all that :)

And I want to thank you Steph, too :)

And I thanx God everyday for all that :)

And I want to thank you Steph, too :)

it is deliciously wonderful cause

you can have a best friend but he might not understand the passion with which you listen to the Mika songs... and here it is different...

here

so many of us have found a friend who has so much in common, it has also opened up a great global connection ....and to that i raise my glass!:thumb_yello:

In terms of costs - I don't see what difference it makes if people start a new thread or add the same comments to an existing thread. Bandwidth is bandwidth so it doesn't matter which thread you're reading or writing to, it's going to consume the same amount of traffic. If Sunny just bought a new server I'm guessing he has more than enough space in the database to store thousands of threads and old stuff can be trimmed or archived somewhere else.

I understand that people who have been here several months are tiring of repetitive newbie questions or duplicate threads but I think there is an even greater threat to a thriving board if mods become pedantic when creating rules and strict about enforcing them.

Sunny is actively recruiting new users and I'm curious to know what the motivation is. Is it to help defray the capital costs he just laid out on the server? Is it to create a larger community? Is it to bring in new personalities regularly to keep things interesting?

I think in any case you're going to have to grant new users some latitude when it comes to starting threads that some older members may find annoying. If people are forced to go to a 10-page FAQ that contains everything that's ever been revealed here about Mika they are either going to get put off and leave immediately, or they are going to read everything they ever wanted to know about Mika and leave right after because there's nothing left to discuss.

If this is someone's first stop on the internet when they are beginning to discover Mika they are going to want to ask questions about how tall he is and how many siblings he has. Not just because they want the answers (which they could probably find on Wikipedia), but because they want to interact with other Mika fans. Since they don't have a lot to contribute in terms of knowledge, they are going to ask questions in an attempt to get to know everyone.

And for every fan who just got here today and has a simple question there will be a handful of fans who got here last week and will be happy to answer them because they haven't heard the same question a million times and just want to be helpful and talk to others.

I was on a board with overzealous moderators and a dominating established crowd and there were users there who lurked for *years* before they worked up the nerve to post. Is this really the direction anyone wants to see this board head towards?

I understand that there are costs involved but I have donated and am willing to continue to pay for people to have these types of we-love-Mika/we-love-MFC or other random threads because it's a way for people to bond and share their passion.

I've only been here a few weeks myself so perhaps I've got this all wrong, but I would have thought the purpose of this board is for people to discuss their feelings about Mika and get to know one another and it's not simply a place to disseminate information. I would think Sunny would have just stuck with the blog if that was the intention.

(Just my 2p. Sorry for the long post!)

In terms of costs - I don't see what difference it makes if people start a new thread or add the same comments to an existing thread. Bandwidth is bandwidth so it doesn't matter which thread you're reading or writing to, it's going to consume the same amount of traffic. If Sunny just bought a new server I'm guessing he has more than enough space in the database to store thousands of threads and old stuff can be trimmed or archived somewhere else.

I understand that people who have been here several months are tiring of repetitive newbie questions or duplicate threads but I think there is an even greater threat to a thriving board if mods become pedantic when creating rules and strict about enforcing them.

Sunny is actively recruiting new users and I'm curious to know what the motivation is. Is it to help defray the capital costs he just laid out on the server? Is it to create a larger community? Is it to bring in new personalities regularly to keep things interesting?

I think in any case you're going to have to grant new users some latitude when it comes to starting threads that some older members may find annoying. If people are forced to go to a 10-page FAQ that contains everything that's ever been revealed here about Mika they are either going to get put off and leave immediately, or they are going to read everything they ever wanted to know about Mika and leave right after because there's nothing left to discuss.

If this is someone's first stop on the internet when they are beginning to discover Mika they are going to want to ask questions about how tall he is and how many siblings he has. Not just because they want the answers (which they could probably find on Wikipedia), but because they want to interact with other Mika fans. Since they don't have a lot to contribute in terms of knowledge, they are going to ask questions in an attempt to get to know everyone.

And for every fan who just got here today and has a simple question there will be a handful of fans who got here last week and will be happy to answer them because they haven't heard the same question a million times and just want to be helpful and talk to others.

I was on a board with overzealous moderators and a dominating established crowd and there were users there who lurked for *years* before they worked up the nerve to post. Is this really the direction anyone wants to see this board head towards?

I understand that there are costs involved but I have donated and am willing to continue to pay for people to have these types of we-love-Mika/we-love-MFC or other random threads because it's a way for people to bond and share their passion.

I've only been here a few weeks myself so perhaps I've got this all wrong, but I would have thought the purpose of this board is for people to discuss their feelings about Mika and get to know one another and it's not simply a place to disseminate information. I would think Sunny would have just stuck with the blog if that was the intention.

what you're saying makes a lot of sense I think

Hey ! I'm back... You can't trust me :roftl:

Anyway, it doesn't coast the same when you create a new thread or when you reply to an existing thread (anyway, that's what we were told months ago by Sunny), unless i misunderstood...

Steph is not a newbie, and she is a mod, so she is supposed to pay attention to repeat threads, not create new ones (that's why i came to this thread and not to any other repeat thread)

I'm not a mod, i'm not being pedantic, and i'm always glad to answer any question, even in the repeat thread, when i have the answer, and i give the link to the old thread

I don't think i'm acting bad...

And if you're interested (i know you're not) i found 3 other threads talking about the exact same thing that you're saying here (i didn't want to post them when the thread was on page 3, not to dance the "told you so dance", I would have let you chat and the thread would have died into page 135 so someone could create a new one... But now that it's back to page 1, here they are (and yeah, maybe they're not saying the exact words "so many nationalities" but it's about how great the forum is, and that's what Steph said she wanted to point here, didn't she...) :

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293&highlight=forum

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1361&highlight=forum

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012&highlight=place

See you later...

And once again, don't get me wrong : I'm not saying this isn't a great place, i totally agree on this point ; i'm just saying that we can bump the old threads to say it :naughty:

But now that it's alrady done, and gone to page 8, be my guests, go on !! :biggrin2:

Christine, I think you have some good points there, I wouldn't want people to be scared of posting or think they would have to know everything about Mika before saying something in here, not at all :blush-anim-cl:

I have just been bothered by the many threads from the day I entered the forum, it's not something new for me, there are just even more of them now :blink: I don't see the reason why every little question has to have its own thread and it's not about server space or money for me, but simply about keeping a conversation going and finding the things you replied to again :doh: I find it hard to remember where I read what and with 20 threads on the same and similar topics, thrown in between a billion threads where people say good morning and whatever, it's impossible to find anything and yes that annoys the hell out of me :boxed:

it is deliciously wonderful cause

you can have a best friend but he might not understand the passion with which you listen to the Mika songs... and here it is different...

here

so many of us have found a friend who has so much in common, it has also opened up a great global connection ....and to that i raise my glass!:thumb_yello:

Thanx to all this, now I've an egyptian sister in Q8 and a couple of brothers and sisters on the other part of Italy...Someone with who now I don't share only Mika and this forum but also a part of my heart, with its smiles and sorrows, so a part of my life :)

Kata and Yoppa, I don't disagree with what you're saying. I find it very difficult as well to keep up with the threads and actually I can't keep up with them because there aren't enough hours in the day. I guess that's the reason I don't mind some of the repetitive information because unless something is mentioned 2 or 3 times, there's only a small chance I'm going to pick up on it since I can't read every conversation thoroughly.

I find it offputting when a thread is many pages long and am more likely to read new and short threads, but I suppose that's just a matter of personal preference. Still, I think a lot of new members and people who can't post every day are going to have a similar reaction. It's difficult to feel part of the conversation in a thread that's been going on for days or even weeks before you've had a chance to participate.

If the forum is going to grow ever bigger obviously some changes are going to have to be made in order to keep things under control. I just think the mods should proceed with caution because sometimes the proposed solutions can be more detrimental than the original problem, especially if things are taken to the extreme.

Well, last reply : i don't think a thread about "this fan club is great" needs to be followed like a conversation... There is a beginning, and after, everybody says "great, yeah, you're right, etc." but i agree with you about the conversation thing, even if i'm never part of the big conversation threads like the Bar, or anything... It's just me.

You know what ? I think it's better to stop this debate... We all said what we had to.

Last thing, i do agree that some methods could be more radical than others, that's why i propose to CLOSE the threads, not to delete them, cause i feel like someone who get his thread deleted could take it bad, whereas if you reply to his thread, giving the link to the thread where he can surely find answers to his questions, and then CLOSE the thread so noone can go on and on and on about the same thing can be better (for the person who posted the thread)...

See ? I'm not mean :wink2::biggrin2:

Thanx to all this, now I've an egyptian sister in Q8 and a couple of brothers and sisters on the other part of Italy...Someone with who now I don't share only Mika and this forum but also a part of my heart, with its smiles and sorrows, so a part of my life :)

a true global friendship!