REPORTS/VIDEOS/PHOTOS of Mika 27-10-2009 in Vancouver, BC at The Commodore Ballroom

dcdeb

Well, like the subject title says --

tell us all about it! Those left keeping the home fires burning

are dying for news!

And please let's try to keep random chatter to a minimum! :thumb_yello:

--------------

REPORTS

--------------

DaMango: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2613457&postcount=6

OhMyMika! w/photos: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2614821&postcount=37

--------------

VIDEOS

--------------

Happy Ending:

Happy Ending from vwayner:

--------------

PHOTOS

--------------

from @vWayner (he'd love comments!): http://vwayner.com/concerts/mika/mika.htm

Edited by dcdeb

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few last tweets before I go for the night...

from @saramirosevic: @mikasounds tonight's show was INCREDIBLE! Thank you so much for doing what you do!

from @chewka_xoxo: @mikasounds Thanks for the amazing concert in Vancouver Mika!! It was awesome!!! Here's to a speedy ankle recovery. Have fun in Mexico. :)

from @GaryGo: Thank you Vancouver and thank you @mikasounds for taking me on tour to amazing places!

from spindleprincess: Mika concert was amazing--I must have lost 10 pounds jumping up and down. (No comment on condition of knee...)

from jess_giang: just got back from a MIKA concert and it was f***ing amazing!!!

Edited by dcdeb

JeVoudraisVoir: @mikasounds - Such a fun show!!! Thanks for stopping by in Vancouver =D One of the most fun concerts I've ever been to.

And iMMa

iMMamusic: Vancouver - you rocked it!! What a great way to end the tour - loving the back signing today!! Back home tomorrow 4 more fun and frolicks!

Edited by Blue Sky

I just got back to my hotel, which is only about 2 feet away from venue, LOL! I'm on my phone using hotel wifi, so no pics yet. Sorry! So yeah, I got to be a Big Girl tonight. Hooray! It's definitely an interesting experience. I was in pink, so I wore the same corset as Wildsong. :biggrin2: I've got a lot to say, so I'll start at the beginning.

It was hard to go to sleep after the Seattle show, so I wasn't very rested today. I was happy that the drive only took 3 hours. Crossing the border is pretty easy on a Tuesday afternoon. My hotel is right across the street from the venue, which was handy. If you read my last review, I was supposed to meet John at 5pm in order to be a Big Girl. Well, I waited in the cold with the other MFCers, and a few other people. (the Pacific Northwest really isn't into all-day queing, apparently) I confessed more weirdness to Christine, and Mana shared her Burger King Poutine with me (Which I had originally thought sounded like a dessert. Um, it's not). John came outside closer to 6pm than 5, but that's ok. I ran up the 4 flights of stairs to the ballroom, and Mika was soundchecking. Very cool! He was singing Relax, and wearing some very cute casual clothes. (V neck sweater and khaki pants) I went backstage, and met his mom. I'd seen her a couple times before, but we'd never officially met. After receiving approval from Mrs P, I had to go back outside in the cold, because they didn't need me until 7:30pm. Drat! Andrew was busy gathering up more BGs, but it proved to be a difficult task, and he was shot down rather rudely by some girls. :blink: Not nice!

So, 7:30 finally rolled around, and we were allowed backstage. The stage door opened once before we were allowed in, and I saw Mika standing there. The next time the door opened, he was gone. They must have whisked him upstairs to his dressing room so that us crazy fans wouldn't attack him. Just kidding!

The dressing process was long, and a bit hectic. It was weird walking around in those stockings and ruffle pants, I felt so foolish and naked! I talked to Gary Go in the lounge after I was dressed, and it was awkward carrying on a whole conversation while dressed like a showgirl, lol! Yasmine kept having to reapply our neon body paint, because we kept smudging ourselves. I felt a bit stressed, because I didn't want to screw up my costume before I even set foot onstage.

I didn't actually see Mika until right before he went on. He came down the stairs with the band, and I was afraid to talk to him. I heard that he never talks before a gig, so I just stood there, in the dark, trying not to be noticed. Well, he did notice me (as well as the other BG next to me), and said hello, so I figured it was ok to talk to him. I said hello back, waved like an idiot, then said the first thing that popped into my head, "Only for you, Mika, would I go onstage in underwear. Only for you." He gestured to his painted, naked torso and said, "Hey, I'm right there with you." Yeah, well, Mika, what you got goin' on is a lot more attractive than what I've got! :naughty: I didn't say that, but I felt like it. He also told us that our dancing should be a little more outrageous (meaning raunchy) because this was a 19 and over nightclub gig. Yes sir. If you want ranchy, I will be raunchy. It was fun watching the band's backstage ritual, and Mika getting into his space suit. During the part where his rocket "explodes", the smoke machine blew the biggest burst of smoke into the audience! Mika laughed hysterically, and said that the smoke machine probably killed everyone in the front row.

It was awesome watching the opening number from backstage. I felt like I was back in college, waiting to go onstage for an opera production. It really brought up a lot of old feelings. Oh how I miss performing! Sorry, getting sidetracked here... So, John was responsible for cueing us onstage. It was so sweet, he was dancing, and trying to get us pumped up and excited. When it was time to go on, I stopped feeling silly and self-conscious, and just had fun! I danced as, um, raunchily as I felt necessary, and focused on my MFC buddies in the front row. It was over so quickly, which was sad because it had taken so long to get ready. We were helped out of our costumes, then shooed out the door! LOL! I felt bad because it took me a long time to get back into my normal clothes, and I left clutching my camera, so I think they thought I was just hanging around and trying to get more pictures. I totally wasn't, I'm just really slow, I promise!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I gave Mika's mom a little gift before the show. I brought some colorful glass bead necklaces for his mom and each of his sisters. I told Yasmine that their beautiful photo shoot in Elle magazine inspired the gift, because they are such beautiful and colorful ladies. Also, the necklaces were from India, and I'm from India, so they had a little DaMango flava. Mrs. P put her necklace on right away, and then hung one around Yasmine's neck, because she was busy painting one of the big girls. They were so sweet, and I'm glad that I got to give them the gift in such a personal way.

Oh my, all I've done is talk about myself. Sorry about that. So, yeah, Mika was there, and he put on another great show. I didn't get a very good view of the rest of the concert, because the floor was pretty packed. I also felt a bit lonely, because I couldn't get back up to my buddies. My photos and vids didn't turn out so well, because there were too many heads and arms in the way. I still enjoyed the music, and just let myself take it all in. It may be a while before I see Mika again, so I wanted to enjoy it to the fullest.

After the show, we didn't get backstage passes, so we waited in a cold dark alley for a meet'n'greet. My hopes weren't high, because M was still injured, and probably very tired. Fortunately, the scary alley was a good place to be, because his lovely band came outside, and hung out with us for a while! There were only about a dozen people waiting, so Imma, Jimmy, and Cherisse graciously took photos, and signed autographs. I brought a mini Munny doll, and had them all sign it. (If you don't know what that is, google Kidrobot Munny. They're very cute, and fun to customize.) About 15 minutes later, a very sweet man on crutches made his way outside. :wub2: He looked beautiful, and I noticed that he had one of my world famous handmade "Got Mika?" buttons pinned to his jacket! (I had stealthily left one backstage for him on top of a wardrobe trunk. Hee hee.) I squeeled, "You found my button!" And he said he thought it was great. My little fangurl heart melted. The M&G was quick autographs only, so still no photo with him. Oh well. I gave him my Munny doll to sign. As he drew a rather wicked face on it, I told him that I'd written him a song, but was unable to get it onto a CD for him. I asked him if it was ok to send it to him, and he said sure. (I guess that means I'd better finish recording it!) I then reminded him of our conversation last year, about how I had promised we would sing together one day. I told him that I was sorry it hasn't happened yet, and how he must be very disappointed. I'm so cheeky! I then told him not to worry, because I'm working on it. He smiled (and probably thought to himself, "What is wrong with this girl?") Anyway, he finished his autographs, and John helped him into his car. We all thanked him and said our goodbyes. I had a wonderful warm feeling inside as I headed back to my hotel. First of all, I was so happy to reconnect with my wonderful MFC friends, and meet some of you for the first time. Second of all, Mika is just plain inspirational! I am not particularly star struck by the man, but I am very inspired by him musically, and as a person. Let's face it, the world needs more people like Mika, especially the entertainment industry. His talent, kindness and grace make me very proud to be a Mika fan. Thirdly, I got to dance in my underwear in front of a few hundred strangers. All in all, this was a good day. :) Thanks for reading!

Edited by DaMango

Such a phenomenal show!!! I'm so glad I flew out to vancouver for this gig. It was totally worth it. Mika and the band were nothing short of brilliant and never cease to amaze me. It was great meeting up with other members of the mfc again as well. I had a fabulous time and can't wait for the next opportunity.

Best gig EVER! Mika is an AMAZING showman! I love how he engages the crowd so much!

I got to the gig just as the doors were opening, so I didn't get to connect with any of the MFC until afterwards. But that was ok. I had my hat on with my MFC pin on it, and the "Got Mika?" pin that Suz had given me :)

There was one point in the show where he made everyone close their eyes, and was pointing at people who hadn't closed theirs and made them close them!!Then on the count of 3 we all JUMPED!!! It was during Love Today, and that was fun :)

He did a bunch of old songs, and a bunch of new ones too, so that was awesome :)

I got a balloon that was thrown out during Lollipop after the show from one girl who didn't want to carry it anymore, but I don't know her name. I'm so bad for names.

A bunch of people went to hang out in the alley, so I tagged along. I brought my "Songs for Sorrow" book with me in the hopes that Mika would sign it :)

The band members came out and then I saw John, when I saw him, I knew that Mika wouldn't be long behind :)

Well he came out, hobbling, on crutches, poor dear! Looked like he was in pain :( He didn't do photographs, but he did autographs, and he signed my book! He looked up and said "Thanks!" to ME! HE thanked ME! Then I thanked him, and rubbed his shoulder and told him to take care of that ankle, and I left floating on a cloud the whole skytrain ride home :)

Cheers, mates!

I just got back to my hotel, which is only about 2 feet away from venue, LOL! I'm on my phone using hotel wifi, so no pics yet. Sorry! So yeah, I got to be a Big Girl tonight. Hooray! It's definitely an interesting experience. I was in pink, so I wore the same corset as Wildsong. :biggrin2: I've got a lot to say, so I'll start at the beginning.

ecc.ecc.

wow!!!! :wub2:...

First of all, I was so happy to reconnect with my wonderful MFC friends, and meet some of you for the first time. Second of all, Mika is just plain inspirational! I am not particularly star struck by the man, but I am very inspired by him musically, and as a person. Let's face it, the world needs more people like Mika, especially the entertainment industry. His talent, kindness and grace make me very proud to be a Mika fan. Thirdly, I got to dance in my underwear in front of a few hundred strangers. All in all, this was a good day. :) Thanks for reading!

I loved your report, and Crystal's too.

I just wanted to agree with the first bolded bit, and have a chuckle at the second.:naughty: I don't think I could ever do it.

BTW an honest question, do you think being a Big Girl is worth the sacrifice of one's enjoyment/placement of the rest of the gig? I have often wondered...after all BGs usually have paid for their tickets and expect to enjoy the show as fans, and are often seconded from the queue, so separated from friends etc. Just interested to know your thoughts daMango.

I loved your report, and Crystal's too.

I just wanted to agree with the first bolded bit, and have a chuckle at the second.:naughty: I don't think I could ever do it.

BTW an honest question, do you think being a Big Girl is worth the sacrifice of one's enjoyment/placement of the rest of the gig? I have often wondered...after all BGs usually have paid for their tickets and expect to enjoy the show as fans, and are often seconded from the queue, so separated from friends etc. Just interested to know your thoughts daMango.

Hey Blue Sky! I thought I'd answer your question real quick before (finally) going to bed. I actually didn't mind too much, because I had just seen the show the night before. If it was my first Mika gig, I may have felt differently. This was my 5th Mika gig overall, so I was excited to participate in the show. It was just too bad that I didn't have an assigned seat to return to, because it was a GA gig.

DaMango! Glad you got that experience of being a Big Girl and even though you didn't get a picture with him, you got to interact with him quite a bit. Thank you for sharing.:wub2:

Canuckchick, Crystal - happy you had a fabulous night too! :thumb_yello:

Poor Mika, standing still singing Happy Ending.

Oooooh, I spotted Mana and Christine at 0:06/7, and StandardToaster at 0:22 :naughty:

Lovely video!!!! Thanks

And thanks for the fab reports! It sounds like such a great gig. Ilove the BG pink outfits (Mama P has a thing for pink hehe)

Hey Blue Sky! I thought I'd answer your question real quick before (finally) going to bed. I actually didn't mind too much, because I had just seen the show the night before. If it was my first Mika gig, I may have felt differently. This was my 5th Mika gig overall, so I was excited to participate in the show. It was just too bad that I didn't have an assigned seat to return to, because it was a GA gig.

Yes, this is why I personally think that, at gigs like these, the BG's should be allowed to sit in front of the barrier like they allowed them to do in Toronto. This way they still get to enjoy the show, with their friends, despite missing part of it in order to be on the stage 'working'.

It doesn't seem particularly fair or right that one has to be sent back to the back of the room, when they would have accrued a much better position due to their spot in the queue :blink:, and it has a very easy solution.

Yes, this is why I personally think that, at gigs like these, the BG's should be allowed to sit in front of the barrier like they allowed them to do in Toronto. This way they still get to enjoy the show, with their friends, despite missing part of it in order to be on the stage 'working'.

It doesn't seem particularly fair or right that one has to be sent back to the back of the room, when they would have accrued a much better position due to their spot in the queue :blink:, and it has a very easy solution.

I was a BG in NYC & Philly and in NYC, I had my ticket and a backstage pass so it was sort of easy to get to my second row seat.

In Philly, I was concerned that I'd be shuffled all the way to the back. So I became friends with a girl who worked security (actually asked her to be a BG, she couldn't but then she introduced me to the stage security guy and I asked that he help us BG's get back up front.

He did.

There was a certain level of aggressiveness I had to have in NYC to cut through the crowd who were are the side stage entrance, but just like I wasn't going to let a 6'7" biker roadie get in the way of my experience I wasn't going to let whoever gt in my way of getting to my seat.

I was a BG in NYC & Philly and in NYC, I had my ticket and a backstage pass so it was sort of easy to get to my second row seat.

In Philly, I was concerned that I'd be shuffled all the way to the back. So I became friends with a girl who worked security (actually asked her to be a BG, she couldn't but then she introduced me to the stage security guy and I asked that he help us BG's get back up front.

He did.

There was a certain level of aggressiveness I had to have in NYC to cut through the crowd who were are the side stage entrance, but just like I wasn't going to let a 6'7" biker roadie get in the way of my experience I wasn't going to let whoever gt in my way of getting to my seat.

You're a pro now :roftl:, I thought you'd done it twice, which is already a lot, but 3 times!!! Wow :aah:.

Yes, I totally agree about the 'level of aggressiveness'. You just need to, in order to get to your position sometimes, because people just won't move, and like you say, you need to use a certain level of forcefulness in order to get there. It's just being assertive, really, I wouldn't call it being aggressive.

In any case, you did that for yourself, which is great, and I'm sure that I would have done the same if I was in the situation (I'm no shrinking violet :naughty:), but some people can't find that decisiveness in themselves, and this is where I think Team Mika should have a simple arrangement with the venue. What you did here, befriending security, can be done so simply, like they did in Toronto. After BG, they simply led the 2 girls to the little part on the barrier where they sat, just in front of us.

Obviously, if you have a seat it's different, but for a GA gig I'd say that this is the way to go. I really admire you people for being able to be BG's. John asked me if I wanted to do it in Toronto and I said noooooo, as I know that I would DIE in front of all those people in such a tiny outfit. I can be quite shy like that, even if some don't believe it :blush-anim-cl:. I said to Mika that I'd say that I'd do it if it got me out of the queuing, and then I could change my mind last minute and still be at the front :roftl:.

So yes, anyway (I ramble a lot), I really admire the people who have the guts to get up there and do it. I would totally freeze, so well done!!!!

You're a pro now :roftl:, I thought you'd done it twice, which is already a lot, but 3 times!!! Wow :aah:.

It was twice. NYC & Philly. :roftl: Still spinning.

I think is why I felt so HIGH afterwards. The WHOLE experience, soup to nuts, was empowering.

Yes, congratulations Big girls ! You were beautifuuuuul :biggrin2:

I agree with Sariflor, this is a thing I couldn't do, though I am fat enough, I would be probably paralized on stage, I am too shy for that :blush-anim-cl:

(BTH Sariflor I've seen a few pictures of you, you seem too thin to be a Big girl :wink2:, John probably asked you because you are fan for ages !)