REPORTS/VIDEOS/PHOTOS of Mika 27-10-2009 in Vancouver, BC at The Commodore Ballroom

dcdeb

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back to my hotel, which is only about 2 feet away from venue, LOL! I'm on my phone using hotel wifi, so no pics yet. Sorry! So yeah, I got to be a Big Girl tonight. Hooray! It's definitely an interesting experience. I was in pink, so I wore the same corset as Wildsong. :biggrin2: I've got a lot to say, so I'll start at the beginning.

It was hard to go to sleep after the Seattle show, so I wasn't very rested today. I was happy that the drive only took 3 hours. Crossing the border is pretty easy on a Tuesday afternoon. My hotel is right across the street from the venue, which was handy. If you read my last review, I was supposed to meet John at 5pm in order to be a Big Girl. Well, I waited in the cold with the other MFCers, and a few other people. (the Pacific Northwest really isn't into all-day queing, apparently) I confessed more weirdness to Christine, and Mana shared her Burger King Poutine with me (Which I had originally thought sounded like a dessert. Um, it's not). John came outside closer to 6pm than 5, but that's ok. I ran up the 4 flights of stairs to the ballroom, and Mika was soundchecking. Very cool! He was singing Relax, and wearing some very cute casual clothes. (V neck sweater and khaki pants) I went backstage, and met his mom. I'd seen her a couple times before, but we'd never officially met. After receiving approval from Mrs P, I had to go back outside in the cold, because they didn't need me until 7:30pm. Drat! Andrew was busy gathering up more BGs, but it proved to be a difficult task, and he was shot down rather rudely by some girls. :blink: Not nice!

So, 7:30 finally rolled around, and we were allowed backstage. The stage door opened once before we were allowed in, and I saw Mika standing there. The next time the door opened, he was gone. They must have whisked him upstairs to his dressing room so that us crazy fans wouldn't attack him. Just kidding!

The dressing process was long, and a bit hectic. It was weird walking around in those stockings and ruffle pants, I felt so foolish and naked! I talked to Gary Go in the lounge after I was dressed, and it was awkward carrying on a whole conversation while dressed like a showgirl, lol! Yasmine kept having to reapply our neon body paint, because we kept smudging ourselves. I felt a bit stressed, because I didn't want to screw up my costume before I even set foot onstage.

I didn't actually see Mika until right before he went on. He came down the stairs with the band, and I was afraid to talk to him. I heard that he never talks before a gig, so I just stood there, in the dark, trying not to be noticed. Well, he did notice me (as well as the other BG next to me), and said hello, so I figured it was ok to talk to him. I said hello back, waved like an idiot, then said the first thing that popped into my head, "Only for you, Mika, would I go onstage in underwear. Only for you." He gestured to his painted, naked torso and said, "Hey, I'm right there with you." Yeah, well, Mika, what you got goin' on is a lot more attractive than what I've got! :naughty: I didn't say that, but I felt like it. He also told us that our dancing should be a little more outrageous (meaning raunchy) because this was a 19 and over nightclub gig. Yes sir. If you want ranchy, I will be raunchy. It was fun watching the band's backstage ritual, and Mika getting into his space suit. During the part where his rocket "explodes", the smoke machine blew the biggest burst of smoke into the audience! Mika laughed hysterically, and said that the smoke machine probably killed everyone in the front row.

It was awesome watching the opening number from backstage. I felt like I was back in college, waiting to go onstage for an opera production. It really brought up a lot of old feelings. Oh how I miss performing! Sorry, getting sidetracked here... So, John was responsible for cueing us onstage. It was so sweet, he was dancing, and trying to get us pumped up and excited. When it was time to go on, I stopped feeling silly and self-conscious, and just had fun! I danced as, um, raunchily as I felt necessary, and focused on my MFC buddies in the front row. It was over so quickly, which was sad because it had taken so long to get ready. We were helped out of our costumes, then shooed out the door! LOL! I felt bad because it took me a long time to get back into my normal clothes, and I left clutching my camera, so I think they thought I was just hanging around and trying to get more pictures. I totally wasn't, I'm just really slow, I promise!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I gave Mika's mom a little gift before the show. I brought some colorful glass bead necklaces for his mom and each of his sisters. I told Yasmine that their beautiful photo shoot in Elle magazine inspired the gift, because they are such beautiful and colorful ladies. Also, the necklaces were from India, and I'm from India, so they had a little DaMango flava. Mrs. P put her necklace on right away, and then hung one around Yasmine's neck, because she was busy painting one of the big girls. They were so sweet, and I'm glad that I got to give them the gift in such a personal way.

Oh my, all I've done is talk about myself. Sorry about that. So, yeah, Mika was there, and he put on another great show. I didn't get a very good view of the rest of the concert, because the floor was pretty packed. I also felt a bit lonely, because I couldn't get back up to my buddies. My photos and vids didn't turn out so well, because there were too many heads and arms in the way. I still enjoyed the music, and just let myself take it all in. It may be a while before I see Mika again, so I wanted to enjoy it to the fullest.

After the show, we didn't get backstage passes, so we waited in a cold dark alley for a meet'n'greet. My hopes weren't high, because M was still injured, and probably very tired. Fortunately, the scary alley was a good place to be, because his lovely band came outside, and hung out with us for a while! There were only about a dozen people waiting, so Imma, Jimmy, and Cherisse graciously took photos, and signed autographs. I brought a mini Munny doll, and had them all sign it. (If you don't know what that is, google Kidrobot Munny. They're very cute, and fun to customize.) About 15 minutes later, a very sweet man on crutches made his way outside. :wub2: He looked beautiful, and I noticed that he had one of my world famous handmade "Got Mika?" buttons pinned to his jacket! (I had stealthily left one backstage for him on top of a wardrobe trunk. Hee hee.) I squeeled, "You found my button!" And he said he thought it was great. My little fangurl heart melted. The M&G was quick autographs only, so still no photo with him. Oh well. I gave him my Munny doll to sign. As he drew a rather wicked face on it, I told him that I'd written him a song, but was unable to get it onto a CD for him. I asked him if it was ok to send it to him, and he said sure. (I guess that means I'd better finish recording it!) I then reminded him of our conversation last year, about how I had promised we would sing together one day. I told him that I was sorry it hasn't happened yet, and how he must be very disappointed. I'm so cheeky! I then told him not to worry, because I'm working on it. He smiled (and probably thought to himself, "What is wrong with this girl?") Anyway, he finished his autographs, and John helped him into his car. We all thanked him and said our goodbyes. I had a wonderful warm feeling inside as I headed back to my hotel. First of all, I was so happy to reconnect with my wonderful MFC friends, and meet some of you for the first time. Second of all, Mika is just plain inspirational! I am not particularly star struck by the man, but I am very inspired by him musically, and as a person. Let's face it, the world needs more people like Mika, especially the entertainment industry. His talent, kindness and grace make me very proud to be a Mika fan. Thirdly, I got to dance in my underwear in front of a few hundred strangers. All in all, this was a good day. :) Thanks for reading!

I LOVE your report!

This is my favorite part because I can actually picture him :naughty:

Let's face it, the world needs more people like Mika, especially the entertainment industry. His talent, kindness and grace make me very proud to be a Mika fan. Thirdly, I got to dance in my underwear in front of a few hundred strangers. All in all, this was a good day. :) Thanks for reading!

Thank you so much DaMango for your funny and detailed report!:thumb_yello:

What I especially appreciate is how well written it is, it helps a lot when your native language isn’t English!

So brave of you to go on stage as a big girl!:wub2:

Thank you so much DaMango for your funny and detailed report!:thumb_yello:

What I especially appreciate is how well written it is, it helps a lot when your native language isn’t English!

So brave of you to go on stage as a big girl!:wub2:

Thank you Sienna, that's very kind of you to say! To be honest, I'm surprised I could even speak proper English by the time the day was done, and it is my native language. LOL! I was pretty beat, but I couldn't sleep, so I figured I would use my time wisely, and update you kind folks.

Seriously, I can't believe that I had the courage to be a Big Girl. I am terribly body conscious, and dress pretty modestly (aside from the occasional cleavage baring dress), so this was WAY out of my comfort zone. It didn't hit me until today just how odd the experience was. People like Gary Go, random crew members, and some of Mika's band were pushing past me while I was in various states of undress. Freaky! It's hard to look people in the eye while a strange pair of hands is unhooking your bra. :roftl: Such is show biz, eh?

I'm not home yet, so still no pics. I'm just taking a little lunch break before driving the last hour home. I look forward to seeing everyone else's concert pics, since I can guarantee they'll be a lot better than mine. Oh My Mika, I am so looking forward to seeing the photo you took of Mika wearing my button! (er, badge) I'm still giddy over it. :wub2: I can't wait to get my Munny doll home, and display him with the rest of my toy collection. Unfortunately, when Mika handed the doll back to me, the ink was still wet, and I totally smeared his signature with my thumb! What a champ. I feel bad because I saw him take great care in signing the doll's tiny belly, and I had to go and ruin it. Oh well, at least I didn't smear it's face.

(I won't tell you whether or not I gave the doll a kiss before going to sleep last night. :mf_rosetinted: )

Thank you Sienna, that's very kind of you to say! To be honest, I'm surprised I could even speak proper English by the time the day was done, and it is my native language. LOL! I was pretty beat, but I couldn't sleep, so I figured I would use my time wisely, and update you kind folks.

Seriously, I can't believe that I had the courage to be a Big Girl. I am terribly body conscious, and dress pretty modestly (aside from the occasional cleavage baring dress), so this was WAY out of my comfort zone. It didn't hit me until today just how odd the experience was. People like Gary Go, random crew members, and some of Mika's band were pushing past me while I was in various states of undress. Freaky! It's hard to look people in the eye while a strange pair of hands is unhooking your bra. :roftl: Such is show biz, eh?

I'm not home yet, so still no pics. I'm just taking a little lunch break before driving the last hour home. I look forward to seeing everyone else's concert pics, since I can guarantee they'll be a lot better than mine. Oh My Mika, I am so looking forward to seeing the photo you took of Mika wearing my button! (er, badge) I'm still giddy over it. :wub2: I can't wait to get my Munny doll home, and display him with the rest of my toy collection. Unfortunately, when Mika handed the doll back to me, the ink was still wet, and I totally smeared his signature with my thumb! What a champ. I feel bad because I saw him take great care in signing the doll's tiny belly, and I had to go and ruin it. Oh well, at least I didn't smear it's face.

(I won't tell you whether or not I gave the doll a kiss before going to sleep last night. :mf_rosetinted: )

Have a safe drive home!:wub2:

Okay here's my very first report ever after 2 and a half years...

Feel free to skip the first part.

Woke up at 9 AM, before I start getting ready, I finished up the belt I wanted to give him so that it'd dry till I get ready and leave.

We left at about 12:20 and arrived at about 1 PM-ish. Went straight to the venue and met Mana and Christine. It was just the 3 of us so I went to the mall for lunch and a few hours passed...I was totally nervous about the whole age restriction. I had my sister's driver's license and i wasn't sure if anyone would believe it's me (my sister being 26 and me being 17).

I went back to the queue at 4:45 and there were a few other people on the line so we just sat there till we got told to move to form a line and wait for an extra hour...that's when I was freaking out completely...:aah: about 30 mins before they open the door a security guy came by to check the IDs and he somehow believed i was my sister...:biggrin2:

commodore.jpg

They scanned our tix and we ran inside and it was a very nice place i must say... small stage, no barriers...established a place in front row and center of the stage next to other MFCers and then we waited and waited and waited. Gray Go came on and i quite liked him actually.

It was around 8:40 when the orange couch showed up and it was so close to us that it blocked my view :roftl: then the band came in and the crowd went crazy and THAT was when my camera died! extra batteries came in handy :naughty:

Couch.jpg

GIG REVIEW:

First of all, OH MY GOD Cherisse! she is stunning :shocked: the way she hit the drums is unbelievable...relax came on, I was so happy that I got to see it live, it was the song that I've always wanted to see live :blush-anim-cl: I'm glad he did it in this tour. He knocked the mic stand when he ran across the stage with his suitcase.

Mango was our very own Big girl as she's said in her report...so she had a chance to go backstage and I gave her my gift to hand it to Mika if she got to meet him before the gig.

I recorded SITM so i have to see if it's decent and then upload it.

He danced all the way through the gig, the crowd were fab!! loud and quite nice (as far as I know)...WAG and Happy ending were definite highlights of the show...every single person sang it out loud. :wub2:

BIOTG was so fun! before we get to sing out the lines His bassist came to our side and gave us high 5's and all that...he was really cool! too bad i don't remember his name...I don't know what else to say really, It was beyond expectation. Every single song worked out great! but I didn't really dig the live version of OFB and may I add that Love Today is DA BOMB?! :teehee:

MikaVancouver.jpg

So all in a blink of an eye was done and Lollipop came on and the famous balloon fight. I managed to throw one at Cherisse and she hit it back with her drumstick, I also hit Mika 2-3 times...he threw his little toy -that was on his keyboard- at the audience and then the concert finished...and I missed him the moment he left the stage! We were told we won't get to see him after the gig so I needed to find a way to give him the belt I made for him...DaMango couldn't hand it to him so i asked Andrew but he wasn't really sure about it. The gig was over I got a balloon and the set list.

We sat around a table until we got told that the doors are gonna be closed in 5 mins and we had to go out if we didn't have wristbands.

To be continued...

Edited by OhMyMika!!

AFTER THE GIG:

We went outside and waited at the front door, then a bunch of girls came up to us and told us that he won't come out this way and that we should wait for him in the back alley...which was quite a scary, dark place. we went there after 5-6 mins and then as the time went by some left and some stayed around...

Cherisse and Imma came out sooner. As my brain wasn't functioning at that moment I couldn't talk to them but I got a picture:

CherisseMeImma.jpg

DAMN Mango how could you handle a convo so well at that time of the night? I'm jealous. :roftl:

So after that we waited a bit more, it was around 12 that he came out limping, with his crutches... :sad: he looked so tired and I didn't really want to bother him. But he was so kind that he stopped by to sign autographs for people... :wub2: i got to the front and that's when the embarrassing part comes up:

I held the setlist towards him to sign it but since it was really dark I thought taht I held it up-side down so I flipped it to the other side and it was white...WOOPS :teehee: He signed my setlist and I gave him his present. I forgot to tell him what the belt was about and what were those names for (tweeted him today about that) but he looked genuinely happy and smiled at me and said "Oh thank you so much" or sth like that and i was like: "you were awesome tonight" and he said thank you again :original: It was also when I finally realized that i'm a midget.

SetListVan.jpg

He signed some more stuff and finally got into his limo. He waved at us and said goodbye. (apparently he waved back at my dad on his way, my dad was way behind us).

MnGMikaVancouver.jpg

MikaLeaving.jpg

I felt so amazing after meeting him, even tho it was for a few seconds but I feel like it completed this whole evening which was full of surprises. I said good bye to our group and went back to our car...I WAS STARVING! so we drove back home and i had dinner at 1 AM... and that's about it.

It was one of the best experiences one can have and ask for, great gig, great crowd and best of all meeting other MFCers, you guys are soooo freakin fabulous :wub2:

I really need to sleep now. Totally exhausted. I didn't take that many pics since he was close and i didn't want to bother him with the flash, but I'll upload the ones that turned out good. :wink2:

OTHER FACTS:

-A magician did a trick for us when we were queuing.

-A girl asked us what was on and we said Mika, and she was like: "What's that about?!" - *priceless*

-Mika is so tall and quite bigger than I thought he'd be actually.

-My whole body is in pain.

-Mana's got an amazing energy, she literally beat me :naughty:

Sorry if there are any grammatical/spelling mistakes I am so tired atm I can hardly keep my eyes open.

Edited by OhMyMika!!

hi~!

i was at the show in vancouver last nite, it was amazing!

it was the first time i've seen mika. i live on the coast, so i came into the city and got a hotel room a couple blocks from the commodore.

i started waiting in line about 4pm, and met some very nice people ^___^

when i got inside i was right up front in the very center!

the show was just so amazing, i have been to many different concerts, i definitly enjoyed mika the most!!!

at the very end i gave mika a rose with a little keychain creature attached ^__^

afterwards i went to the alley with a bunch of people and after awhile i got to get signatures and chat with Imma, Jimmy, and Cherisse. they were so nice! they all told me they loved my hair ^__^

(if anyone saw me, i was the girl with the leopard print hair)

jimmy had my little keychain guy that was attached to the rose i gave mika, and he asked me what his name is and i said that sadly he didnt have one yet hahaha

then mika came out and i got his signature, he was as cute as ever ^__^

and at one point as he left he looked directly at me and we both smiled and waved! it was cute! hahaha

i had such an amazing time and met so many nice people!!

however i am ashamed to say i didnt get most of your names!! :o

if anyone reads this who met me at the show, please introduce yourself to me :)

During the part where his rocket "explodes", the smoke machine blew the biggest burst of smoke into the audience! Mika laughed hysterically, and said that the smoke machine probably killed everyone in the front row.

:lmfao::lmao::lmfao:

Good thing there was no one around when I read that. I laughed so loud. :teehee: I could just envision the scene. :naughty:

I can't wait to get my Munny doll home, and display him with the rest of my toy collection. Unfortunately, when Mika handed the doll back to me, the ink was still wet, and I totally smeared his signature with my thumb! What a champ. I feel bad because I saw him take great care in signing the doll's tiny belly, and I had to go and ruin it. Oh well, at least I didn't smear it's face.

That's so awesome that you were a Big Girl! Oooh man even though that's very awkward (about people running by while you're undressing/dressing) I'd still love to be a Big Girl someday! I'll probably end up losing weight by time he tours again. :naughty: What an experience that must be!

You must post pictures of your Munny doll so we can see what he drew! :biggrin2: I probably wouldn't have been brave enough to kiss it goodnight in fear it'd smudge even more. :wink2:

I loved your report, and Crystal's too.

I just wanted to agree with the first bolded bit, and have a chuckle at the second.:naughty: I don't think I could ever do it.

BTW an honest question, do you think being a Big Girl is worth the sacrifice of one's enjoyment/placement of the rest of the gig? I have often wondered...after all BGs usually have paid for their tickets and expect to enjoy the show as fans, and are often seconded from the queue, so separated from friends etc. Just interested to know your thoughts daMango.

Hey Blue Sky! I thought I'd answer your question real quick before (finally) going to bed. I actually didn't mind too much, because I had just seen the show the night before. If it was my first Mika gig, I may have felt differently. This was my 5th Mika gig overall, so I was excited to participate in the show. It was just too bad that I didn't have an assigned seat to return to, because it was a GA gig.

If I can add to the big girl thing as well. It was so worth it to me, but I am a ham at times and love to be on stage so it was easy to go up there. If it hadn't been the second song, would I have missed the show for it? maybe not, but it was nice to come back to an assigned seat and not have to fight a GA crowd. I had a blast and was worth being squished and laced up and and as DaMango said, dancing around in underwear! Everyone was extremely sweet and nice and we got super extra lucky cus Mika just happened to walk by as we were taking a group shot of the 4 of us, I stepped back to let him go by since I was blocking the dressing area, and he put out his hand to me with a huge smile. He shook all our hands and got into the picture with us! Then we were very fortunate to get backstage passes. Yeah, I think it was worth it, LOL! :fangurl:

MnGMikaVancouver.jpg

Oh My Mika, I loved your report, and thank you for the photos! It was wonderful to meet you, and I'm so glad everything worked out. Pretty awesome first gig, eh? And thank you, thank you THANK YOU for posting this pic! I think it may possibly be the best photo evidence of me meeting Mika to date. Yes folks, that is the back of my head, my unruly black hair, my brown hand (whose finger tips appear to be brushing the back of Mika's hand :das: ), and my Munny doll being handed over to him! My favorite part is that you can clearly see that he is wearing the badge I made, which is 50 kinds of awesome. Also, he has a pleasant look on his face, which tells me that I did not frighten him. :roftl: Love it, thanks again!

Pandasnacks, I'm so glad you've joined the club! I'm Rani, the crazy Indian chick who kept cracking stupid jokes while we were waiting outside. I was also one of the Big Girls. I have a cute photo of you, which I will post as soon as my pics finish loading. It's taking about 8 years to upload these! Argh...

Oh My Mika, I loved your report, and thank you for the photos! It was wonderful to meet you, and I'm so glad everything worked out. Pretty awesome first gig, eh? And thank you, thank you THANK YOU for posting this pic! I think it may possibly be the best photo evidence of me meeting Mika to date. Yes folks, that is the back of my head, my unruly black hair, my brown hand (whose finger tips appear to be brushing the back of Mika's hand :das: ), and my Munny doll being handed over to him! My favorite part is that you can clearly see that he is wearing the badge I made, which is 50 kinds of awesome. Also, he has a pleasant look on his face, which tells me that I did not frighten him. :roftl: Love it, thanks again!

Pandasnacks, I'm so glad you've joined the club! I'm Rani, the crazy Indian chick who kept cracking stupid jokes while we were waiting outside. I was also one of the Big Girls. I have a cute photo of you, which I will post as soon as my pics finish loading. It's taking about 8 years to upload these! Argh...

No prob! glad it turned out well and not blurry or anything :naughty: think i have more pics from the meet and greet... i'll post them up tomorrow! :wink2: YEP it was beyond amazing and you know what? i think i screamed a bit too much cause i literally had no voice in the morning :roftl: i must have been an annoying one, singing all the songs out loud :naughty:

Does anyone have a pic of my head, possibly? :teehee:

Pandasnacks are you the Asian girl in the queue?! :biggrin2: welcome to the MFC!

PS you can also see my gift in this pic...

Edited by OhMyMika!!

Thx for the report. Love the "got mika?" he is wearing :naughty:

Yes, I am so happy that he wore it! I debated whether or not to leave it backstage, but then I thought, what's the worst that could happen? It could get thrown away, or tossed into a trunk with the costumes. It's not like I would have gotten in trouble or anything. :naughty: So I was truly tickled to see it on his jacket.

I actually gave him one of those badges at my first Mika gig in 2007, but I'm sure it disappeared at some point in the last 2.5 years. He definitely needed another one. :wink2:

hi~!

i was at the show in vancouver last nite, it was amazing!

it was the first time i've seen mika. i live on the coast, so i came into the city and got a hotel room a couple blocks from the commodore.

i started waiting in line about 4pm, and met some very nice people ^___^

when i got inside i was right up front in the very center!

the show was just so amazing, i have been to many different concerts, i definitly enjoyed mika the most!!!

at the very end i gave mika a rose with a little keychain creature attached ^__^

afterwards i went to the alley with a bunch of people and after awhile i got to get signatures and chat with Imma, Jimmy, and Cherisse. they were so nice! they all told me they loved my hair ^__^

(if anyone saw me, i was the girl with the leopard print hair)

jimmy had my little keychain guy that was attached to the rose i gave mika, and he asked me what his name is and i said that sadly he didnt have one yet hahaha

then mika came out and i got his signature, he was as cute as ever ^__^

and at one point as he left he looked directly at me and we both smiled and waved! it was cute! hahaha

i had such an amazing time and met so many nice people!!

however i am ashamed to say i didnt get most of your names!! :o

if anyone reads this who met me at the show, please introduce yourself to me :)

Welcome to the Mika Fan Club Pandasnacks!

I am glad you had a really good time at Mika's concert.

Next time introduce yourself to some of the MFC there.

I actually gave him one of those badges at my first Mika gig in 2007, but I'm sure it disappeared at some point in the last 2.5 years. He definitely needed another one. :wink2:

and it looks so cool on his jacket:wub2:

Thanks for these latest reports! Love the pictures, too! :thumb_yello:

Got a tweet from a guy who was there -- this is his video for

Happy Ending:

from vwayner:

He says he'll have more in the next few days. :wub2: