Critic reviews of The Origin Of Love

robertina

by the way, on CKOI there is a contest to win tickets to MIKA in Paris... Who's interested? at 3PM be tuned on CKOI 96.9

:naughty: not interested... seeing Mika YES! seeing Paris YES!

but seeing Mika in Paris ?? hmmm no thanks! :naughty:

:naughty: not interested... seeing Mika YES! seeing Paris YES!

but seeing Mika in Paris ?? hmmm no thanks! :naughty:

It's seated so it will be nice. I mean as long as you don't have any intention of getting anywhere near him. :naughty:

http://www.glasswerk.co.uk/reviews/national/10165/Mika

By Brendon Veevers, Wednesday 10th October 2012 11.09am

Mika - Origin Of Love

Released: 8th October 2012

Label: Casablanca Records

Brit award winner and Grammy nominated pop prince Mika returns this month with his brand new record, ‘Origin of Love’. Providing the Grace Kelly hit maker with his third studio release, ‘Origin of Love’ is everything we could expect from such an eccentric pop star like Mika.

With two studio records under his belt and raking in a number one (‘Grace Kelly’) and Top 10 singles (‘Love Today’, ‘Big Girls (You Are Beautiful)’, ‘We Are Golden’) along the way, Mika is now stranger to chart success.

The title track opens the new record and offers us a catchy, up-tempo and slightly eighties glazed pop nugget. Its swaying chorus sets the mood for the new collection and we can’t help but love the closing vocal peaks that we heard so frequently on Mika’s international breakthrough debut, ‘Life In Cartoon Motion’.

Stardust is a pure gem on ‘Origin of Love’ and boasts a club quality to it that pretty much guarantees a strong existence within the club circuit and screams for single release. Its up-tempo rhythm and energy make it a memorable addition to the album and Mika’s vocals resonate confidently here. For the track, Mika teamed up with Italian DJ and producer Benny Benassi, best known for his work with Madonna and Chris Brown.

Balladry shows face throughout the record making the album beautifully balanced with early inclusions ‘Underwater’ and ‘Kids’, both adding some syrupy melodies to ‘Origin of Love’ and proving to be a pair of the singers best ballads to date. The production on both numbers is what really stands out on these two songs with neither sounding overdone.

In the lead up to the release of ‘Origin of Love’ Mika expanded his profile by working with a range of other musicians including none other than the Queen of Pop herself, Madonna. Working with the icon on one of the standout tracks from her recent ‘MDNA’ release, ‘Gang Bang’, you can certainly hear that his experience has been incorporated into ‘Origin of Love’ as this release displays a more intricate and matured Mika than previous albums. One of the tracks on the album to display that is ‘Overrated’, a power pop hit bursting with electro beats and groaning synth fillers which create a track that is both well-structured and memorable. The number also sees Mika at his most vocally vibrant.

Another highlight on the album would have to be ‘Love You When I’m Drunk’, a brutally honest declaration of a drunken man’s sexcapade. Though the lyrics take a serious stand on the song the melody transforms the song into a lighthearted affair.

‘Popular’ is another hilarious track on the album that sees Mika sharing vocal duties with a female vocalist and turning out witty lyrics like “Standing on the field with your pretty pompons.

Now you’re working at the movie selling popular corn” and intertwining what sounds like a sample from the musical ‘Wicked’.

Unusually ‘Celebrate’, the lead single for the record, has been given the closing honors. Ushering us out of the 13 track collection Celebrate Mika has enlisted the help of US superstar producer Pharrell Williams who provides the number with a catchy synthpop coating ending the tracklisting off with a pulsating disco vibe.

Though Mika’s second studio effort, ‘The Boy Who Knew Too Much’, failed to do as well as his debut, it was still a Top 5 hit in the UK. ‘Origin of Love’ however seems to fill in the blanks and have all of the components lacking in that sophomore release and may very well see Mika back on top of the international charts.

‘Origin of Love’ is the perfect comeback for Mika after a 3 year absence from studio album releases that is drenched in fun, energetic pop and a patchwork of liberal and inspiring lyrics.

Mika - Origin Of Love

With two studio records under his belt and raking in a number one (‘Grace Kelly’) and Top 10 singles (‘Love Today’, ‘Big Girls (You Are Beautiful)’, ‘We Are Golden’) along the way, Mika is now stranger to chart success.

That's good. :thumb_yello: But is it supposed to be 'now' or 'no'? :aah: Now might be a bit harsh. :mf_rosetinted:

Mika - Origin Of Love

Brit award winner and Grammy nominated pop prince Mika returns this month with his brand new record, ‘Origin of Love’. Providing the Grace Kelly hit maker with his third studio release, ‘Origin of Love’ is everything we could expect from such an eccentric pop star like Mika.

The title track opens the new record and offers us a catchy, up-tempo and slightly eighties glazed pop nugget. Its swaying chorus sets the mood for the new collection and we can’t help but love the closing vocal peaks that we heard so frequently on Mika’s international breakthrough debut, ‘Life In Cartoon Motion’.

Stardust is a pure gem on ‘Origin of Love’ and boasts a club quality to it that pretty much guarantees a strong existence within the club circuit and screams for single release. Its up-tempo rhythm and energy make it a memorable addition to the album and Mika’s vocals resonate confidently here. For the track, Mika teamed up with Italian DJ and producer Benny Benassi, best known for his work with Madonna and Chris Brown.

Balladry shows face throughout the record making the album beautifully balanced with early inclusions ‘Underwater’ and ‘Kids’, both adding some syrupy melodies to ‘Origin of Love’ and proving to be a pair of the singers best ballads to date. The production on both numbers is what really stands out on these two songs with neither sounding overdone.

In the lead up to the release of ‘Origin of Love’ Mika expanded his profile by working with a range of other musicians including none other than the Queen of Pop herself, Madonna. Working with the icon on one of the standout tracks from her recent ‘MDNA’ release, ‘Gang Bang’, you can certainly hear that his experience has been incorporated into ‘Origin of Love’ as this release displays a more intricate and matured Mika than previous albums. One of the tracks on the album to display that is ‘Overrated’, a power pop hit bursting with electro beats and groaning synth fillers which create a track that is both well-structured and memorable. The number also sees Mika at his most vocally vibrant.

Another highlight on the album would have to be ‘Love You When I’m Drunk’, a brutally honest declaration of a drunken man’s sexcapade. Though the lyrics take a serious stand on the song the melody transforms the song into a lighthearted affair.

‘Popular’ is another hilarious track on the album that sees Mika sharing vocal duties with a female vocalist and turning out witty lyrics like “Standing on the field with your pretty pompons.

Now you’re working at the movie selling popular corn” and intertwining what sounds like a sample from the musical ‘Wicked’.

Unusually ‘Celebrate’, the lead single for the record, has been given the closing honors. Ushering us out of the 13 track collection Celebrate Mika has enlisted the help of US superstar producer Pharrell Williams who provides the number with a catchy synthpop coating ending the tracklisting off with a pulsating disco vibe.

Though Mika’s second studio effort, ‘The Boy Who Knew Too Much’, failed to do as well as his debut, it was still a Top 5 hit in the UK. ‘Origin of Love’ however seems to fill in the blanks and have all of the components lacking in that sophomore release and may very well see Mika back on top of the international charts.

‘Origin of Love’ is the perfect comeback for Mika after a 3 year absence from studio album releases that is drenched in fun, energetic pop and a patchwork of liberal and inspiring lyrics.

Most of the German reviews are similar to this one and I really have the feeling that guy took his time to listen befor he wrote his article :thumb_yello:

http://www.spinorbinmusic.com/2012/10/11/album-review-mika-the-origin-of-love/

The exuberantly talented Mika reappears on the pop radar with his latest offering The Origin of Love, an aurally intriguing and well-produced album that is sure to see great success alike his Life in Cartoon Motion days.

The British showstopper is well-known for his effervescent tracks and fizzy pop ivory-heavy melodies and this time is no different. He seems to have hit jackpot with his distinctive quirky synth-pop productions, complemented by his mellifluous vocals. However, his penchant for dramatic flair seen in his debut album is more subdued in The Origin of Love, producing a more polished, but still immensely enjoyable sound.

Particularly with the first three tracks, including Origin of Love, Lola and Stardust, which I found were less Grace Kelly and a tad more mature, if that even describes the childlike musings of Mika. The opening tracks are a catchy set and manages to show off his vocal range, although the lyrics can be a little cheesy and simple, like “I could be staring at somebody new/ but stuck in my head is a picture of you” or “You’ll beg and borrow, cheat or steal /Trying to get some money just to call her”. His themes for his songwriting mostly hover around hopeless, romantic relationships but giving that he constructs it in his own take, it makes it easier to digest.

A surprising find was Underwater, which is at once ephemeral and atmospheric, which manages to make the listener feel like they are under water whilst listening to this. Overrated is also one to look out for, with its bouncing synths and enthusiastic vocals from Mika, making it a joy to listen to, especially when you reach the Guetta-inspired club-worthy chorus.

Buzzing synths are abundant in this album, but especially with Step With Me, which has probably one of the most calming choruses on the album. The seaside vibes are heavy on this one, with his deeper vocals playing a heavy part in reminding me of Sebastian from The Little Mermaid. Don’t tell me you didn’t hear that link haha! It was such an endearing and nostalgic moment.

It doesn’t matter if you love or hate Mika’s vocals, The Origin of Love is a concoction of pure pop perfection, slightly reined in and slickly produced. Definitely a must-play in my opinion, and I’m excited to hear what tracks you guys fancy most!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did actually someone from MFC write this review ?:naughty::teehee:

http://www.spinorbinmusic.com/2012/10/11/album-review-mika-the-origin-of-love/

The exuberantly talented Mika reappears on the pop radar with his latest offering The Origin of Love, an aurally intriguing and well-produced album that is sure to see great success alike his Life in Cartoon Motion days.

The British showstopper is well-known for his effervescent tracks and fizzy pop ivory-heavy melodies and this time is no different. He seems to have hit jackpot with his distinctive quirky synth-pop productions, complemented by his mellifluous vocals. However, his penchant for dramatic flair seen in his debut album is more subdued in The Origin of Love, producing a more polished, but still immensely enjoyable sound.

Particularly with the first three tracks, including Origin of Love, Lola and Stardust, which I found were less Grace Kelly and a tad more mature, if that even describes the childlike musings of Mika. The opening tracks are a catchy set and manages to show off his vocal range, although the lyrics can be a little cheesy and simple, like “I could be staring at somebody new/ but stuck in my head is a picture of you” or “You’ll beg and borrow, cheat or steal /Trying to get some money just to call her”. His themes for his songwriting mostly hover around hopeless, romantic relationships but giving that he constructs it in his own take, it makes it easier to digest.

A surprising find was Underwater, which is at once ephemeral and atmospheric, which manages to make the listener feel like they are under water whilst listening to this. Overrated is also one to look out for, with its bouncing synths and enthusiastic vocals from Mika, making it a joy to listen to, especially when you reach the Guetta-inspired club-worthy chorus.

Buzzing synths are abundant in this album, but especially with Step With Me, which has probably one of the most calming choruses on the album. The seaside vibes are heavy on this one, with his deeper vocals playing a heavy part in reminding me of Sebastian from The Little Mermaid. Don’t tell me you didn’t hear that link haha! It was such an endearing and nostalgic moment.

It doesn’t matter if you love or hate Mika’s vocals, The Origin of Love is a concoction of pure pop perfection, slightly reined in and slickly produced. Definitely a must-play in my opinion, and I’m excited to hear what tracks you guys fancy most!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did actually someone from MFC write this review ?:naughty::teehee:

Really good review!

I do wish though that reviewers - good and bad - would stop with all these references to Mika being childlike/childish/squeaky/hyper/on a sugar high/on energy drinks etc., it is becoming so so boring. It's not 2007 any more. Move on!! :naughty:

Really good review!

I do wish though that reviewers - good and bad - would stop with all these references to Mika being childlike/childish/squeaky/hyper/on a sugar high/on energy drinks etc., it is becoming so so boring. It's not 2007 any more. Move on!! :naughty:

I don't think childlike is a bad description, to be honest. The kind of energy and enthusiasm and joy in his music is rarely found among adults, unfortunately. So in that sense I do think his music has some qualities that are mostly found in children. Childish I have a problem with, because anyone who says that is just missing the point, but childlike I'm ok with. I realize that not everyone reading the review will appreciate the difference, so it would be better for Mika if they wouldn't say it, but I can't blame them for childlike.

There is nothing childlike about Mika's music IMO. He made one song that sounded like a nursery rhyme - Lollipop. That's it. He reinforced the notion with some of his costumes and illustrations, etc. but it has nothing to do with the music.

There is nothing childlike about Mika's music IMO. He made one song that sounded like a nursery rhyme - Lollipop. That's it. He reinforced the notion with some of his costumes and illustrations, etc. but it has nothing to do with the music.

I agree, except that I think EMD is his other or even his only 'childish' song. It totally follows a nursery rhyme pattern and the French lyrics are written from the point of view of a nerdy teenager (whilst the English from his mom's point of view :teehee:).

Here's a review in French, by Jérémy Parayre (TV programme: Télé7jours, music review, September 2012):

Mika a mûri. Fini les chansons bubble gum, qu'on aime certes, mais qui avaient fini par lasser sur son prédent opus. Avec ce nouvel album, il offre une pop teintée d'électro d'une intelligence remarquable. Toujours léger dans la forme, beaucoup moins sur le fond, le Britannique d'origine libanaise dévoile des titres tubesques (Stardust, Overrated) à la production soignée. Sans oublier Elle me dit , qui se décline aussi dans une version anglaise, tout aussi réussie. Un des albums incontournables de la rentrée.

Here's a review in French, by Jérémy Parayre (TV programme: Télé7jours, music review, September 2012):

Mika a mûri. Fini les chansons bubble gum, qu'on aime certes, mais qui avaient fini par lasser sur son prédent opus. Avec ce nouvel album, il offre une pop teintée d'électro d'une intelligence remarquable. Toujours léger dans la forme, beaucoup moins sur le fond, le Britannique d'origine libanaise dévoile des titres tubesques (Stardust, Overrated) à la production soignée. Sans oublier Elle me dit , qui se décline aussi dans une version anglaise, tout aussi réussie. Un des albums incontournables de la rentrée.

Translation:

Mika has grown up.Bubble gum songs that we used to love but tended to tire us on the previous album, are over. In this new album, Mika gives a pop tainted by remarkably clever electro. Keeping a light form but deeper in substance, the British Lebanese born singer unveils carefully produced potential hits (Stardust, Overrated). Bearing in mind Elle me dit, also presented in an English version, equally accomplished. It is one of the must have albums of the moment.

A couple of Italian reviews:

A very positive and detailed one http://www.rnbjunk.com/mika-the-origin-of-love-recensione-album-998/

A short positive one http://www.outsidersmusica.it/recensione/Musica/mika-the-origin-of-love/

Here they like Mika, but not him singing in Italian and state this album is too commercial http://luzbox.wordpress.com/2012/10/06/mika-the-origin-of-love/

Another positive one http://www.toylet.it/2012/32199/mika-the-origin-of-love-2012.toy

Another positive review from UK!

Kim Dawson's rated playlist (Daily Star, Monday, October 8, 2012) p21

Falling in love has done wonders for the Grace Kelly popster. Dropping the showiness and sticking to celebratory pop, this is more danceable and with stronger emotional choruses. Mika has become an original of love songs. 8/10

I've also found this link that recapitulates

http://www.metacritic.com/music/the-origin-of-love/mika Mika's album is rated 68/100 by 5 critics (2 positive, 3 mixed)

The Origin of Love - Mika

Mika

Republic

Release Date: Oct 16, 2012

Summary

Critic Reviews

User Reviews

Details & Credits

Metascore

Generally favorable reviews based on 5 Critics

Critic score distribution:

Positive: 2 out of 5

Mixed: 3 out of 5

Negative: 0 out of 5

The Guardian

Oct 15, 2012

The fact is, The Origin of Love is simply a good record by one of the UK's more undervalued pop songwriters.

All this publication's reviews

Read full review

BBC Music

Oct 15, 2012

If Mika had refined this into a 10-track collection, trimming the cuts that don't quite click, we'd have an excellent album on our hands. As it is, The Origin of Love is stretched slightly too long.

Read full review

The Independent on Sunday (UK)

Oct 15, 2012

The Origin of Love is an autotuned, multitracked meringue whose ingredients include 10cc and Buggles, and whose only weakness is the absence of a killer single.

Read full review

All Music Guide

Oct 15, 2012

While it's odd that The Origin of Love doesn't work as well in practice as it might have in theory, it still has enough bright moments to please most fans.

Read full review

The Observer (UK)

Oct 15, 2012

Other than the perky pabulum of prostitution singalong Lola and a big fat feelgood chorus on Step with Me, the hooks and hits are thin on the ground.

Reviews in French:

http://www.music-story.com/mika/the-origin-of-love/critique

http://www.adnsound.com/mika-the-origin-of-love-29210 (negative critic. I love how the person who left their comment told the critic how good this album is in fact :thumb_yello:)

http://www.senscritique.com/album/The_Origin_of_Love/8127177