Mika @ Paradiso, Amsterdam, THE NETHERLANDS, 27-10-2012: REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

dcdeb

Oh, those are all better than "good-ish"! Thank you for sharing them! :wub2:

And thank you all for your photos, videos and reports so far! Just amazing to see/read everything! :flowers2:

Exactly. I was thinking how ridiculous I must have looked at the NYC gigs, and started to feel embarrassed, wondering what Mika must have thought of this insane middle-aged woman jumping and singing along, every word to every song, because he clearly saw me... and then I realized: I DON'T CARE. I don't really care if he thinks I'm nuts (I guess I am) because I was having a great time, and as Ingie put it so well, YOLO. You Only Live Once. Life is way too short to let this sort of hang-up get in the way of something that could mean so much to you. So... you may be disappointed at being rejected, but if you don't try, you'll NEVER get anywhere. So you may as well try! :thumb_yello:

Thank you :wub2:

The review sucks by the way.

Blame it on the girls is from the new album????

Gawd she did NOT do her homework well.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you :wub2:

The review sucks by the way.

Blame it on the girls is from the new album????

Gawd she did NOT do her homework well.

It wasn't the best written review in the history of reviews. But she was nice about us, so yeah:mf_rosetinted:

It wasn't the best written review in the history of reviews. But she was nice about us, so yeah:mf_rosetinted:

Hahaha

I like your pics. :thumb_yello:

But the report is full of crap. :sneaky2:

Thanks ^^

It is, isn't it...I'm to blame a bit as I just clicked: put online. Didn't read it untill it was published... Oops...

I loved yesterday!

All the lovely people made the long cold wait all worth it.:wub2:

The gig was awesom! Monie and Ingie rocked the choir.

For everyone whos not sure of entering, you all should!

I did and didn't got chosen, and although that was a rough day , I'm glad I didn't have the "what if?" feeling yesterday.

I want to say something about the merchandise.

I thought it would be nice for me, and Inge to buy a t-shirt after the concert. While Inge made her way through the masses to the toilet I headed for the merchandise stand. But before I could reach it I saw the price of the t-shirt: 30 freaking euros!!!:shocked:

I may be a cheap Dutchie, but that is way too much money for a t-shirt, even for a t-shirt with Mika's face on it!

Too bad, it would be a nice thing to have.

I want to say something about the merchandise.

I thought it would be nice for me, and Inge to buy a t-shirt after the concert. While Inge made her way through the masses to the toilet I headed for the merchandise stand. But before I could reach it I saw the price of the t-shirt: 30 freaking euros!!!:shocked:

I may be a cheap Dutchie, but that is way too much money for a t-shirt, even for a t-shirt with Mika's face on it!

Too bad, it would be a nice thing to have.

Yes it was so expensive!! And the quality isn't that high as it was on the first tour!! And That hoodie! freaking 60 euros :shocked: I can not pay that!

I really enjoyed the gig yesterday. I found a good spot at the second row in front of Mika's piano. Loved the choir ... you were very enthusiastic girls and you rocked. :thumb_yello: It was also lovely to meet so many new faces. :wub2:

Here's the link to my pics. Some of them are not really good but I've uploaded them anyway. :teehee:

http://imageshack.us/g/1/9837493/

It was a briliant gig. One of my favourites without a doubt. Despite no doubt being very jetlagged Mika put on a brilliant performance. He was so full of energy and life. The longer set was great too. I can cope with an 8 30 start and no support band. :thumb_yello:

We (Myself and Vicky and her family) were to the left of the stage on the two steps which gave us a great view. To be honest it hilarious looking down at at the heads that could barely see over the stage! It was incredibly hoigh. It was the sort of height that you normally get a festival when the crowd is way back.....not right up to it with no barrier. My computer is broken at the mo which means I can't post the pic that I took of Rose to illustarte how far down she was - it really was funny to see.:naughty:

I thought the setlist was a good mix of old and new. I would like to hear a bit more new - particularly Step with me................but I apreciate that he has to do the old crowd pleasers too. I seriously think it is time we started a patition to get BB dropped though.:sneaky2:

It was my first time of hearing Popular Song and LYWID so I enjoyed those.

I always love to hear Origin live.

The choir was great! One of the reasons we had gone to that side of the stage was because Ingie had told Vicky that's that where they would be. It was great fun watching you all have such a brilliant time!

BTW - I would agree with the people who are encouraging anyone to try for it if they are considering it - it's not an issue for me as I know that I can't sing but for anyone who can - please give it a go! It's a brilliant opportunity.

Loved the venue and it was great to meet up with MFCers old and new.

Amsterdam is a beautiful place and this was a fabulous night.

Thanks everyone :huglove:.

Edited by kath

I think that regardless of your audition video, your face is familiar anyway:naughty:

I do hope so! But I feel like stalking him after 4 times seeing him lol:naughty: next week brussels! But still, he sees so many faces!:blink:

this was my 2nd mika gig, my first was (i believe) the first of mika in the netherlands, somewhere in 2007 at the heineken music hall. still remember that one quite well, mika speaking more in dutch then many other artists together (dutch artists excluded) and a nice story about the origin of the billy brown song. the weird teddy bear pinic part and the end was great also with the huge balls in the venue, saw one hours later in the town where i lived back then, someone had taken one home :)

he visited the netherlands a number of times since then i know, but for different reasons i couldnt go, some holidays at the day of the gigs or other things. to be honest i missed the concertgebouw one because i found out about it too late.

back to 2012, a smaller venue with less attributes but an equally or perhaps even better mika. he proves to be a superb entertainer who does lots of fun audience interaction but can also perform touching balads. the polka dot choir is a great addition and probably the night of your life if your chosen.

to be honest the latest album hasn't fully grown on me yet. there are some good tracks, but also some i don't like that much. luckily the set list contained the best of the past and some good new tracks, with luckily my favourite underwater. this setlist from a gig in america is the same as we had i believe. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mika/2012/the-fonda-hollywood-ca-3bdd68bc.html the audience was great and certainly wanted to join mika in his party making this a brilliant evening.

made some video's, the picture isnt that good (and youtube trying to fix it doesnt help), but the sound usually is.

stardust (sorry for put the wrong title up first)

underwater

origin of love (including the hat and goggles part)

relax, take it easy

What a great vibe indeed! :wub2: I shared some details and pics in my blog and I'm going to Copenhagen tomorrow and need some sleep so I just give the links:

A quick update: http://anothermikablog.blogspot.fi/2012/10/quick-updates-mika-at-paradiso.html

and a few more details: http://anothermikablog.blogspot.fi/2012/10/gig-reviews-mika-paradiso-amsterdam.html

What a great vibe indeed! :wub2: I shared some details and pics in my blog and I'm going to Copenhagen tomorrow and need some sleep so I just give the links:

A quick update: http://anothermikablog.blogspot.fi/2012/10/quick-updates-mika-at-paradiso.html

and a few more details: http://anothermikablog.blogspot.fi/2012/10/gig-reviews-mika-paradiso-amsterdam.html

Thanks Nina ... I always love reading your blog. I hope you get a good night sleep so you can enjoy the gig tomorrow. Have a good trip. :thumb_yello:

I think this one is not posted yet: http://www.muziek.nl/concertverslag/item/21554-concertverslag-mika

CONCERTVERSLAG: MIKA

Geschreven door Jean Paul Heck Reageer als eerste!

En daar stond hij dan. Gestoken in een hagelwit overhemd en met een hoge hoed op het mooie hoofd. Mika begon zijn Europese tournee gisteravond in Paradiso. De befaamde popzaal is voor iemand zoals hem de perfecte locatie om een concerttrip af te trappen. Met een puike band in de rug, wilde de Engelsman maar één ding: een feestje bouwen.

Daarmee wil hij ook wat lichte malaise achter hem laten. Onlangs bracht Mika het nieuwe album The Origin Of Love uit. Een op het eerste gehoor lichtvoetig album maar met pijnlijk donkere teksten. Na het succes van zijn debuut Life In Cartoon Motion uit 2007, had Mika het plan om door te schakelen met een werkstuk waarop alles nog grootser en protserig was. The Boy Who Knew To Much was ook geslaagde opvolger, vol met pakkende songs en prachtige producties. Maar het publiek vrat het niet en Mika droop teleurgesteld af. De zanger/pianist die tegenwoordig deels in Londen en Miami woont, trok zich terug. Op The Origin of Love deed hij wat hij beloofde. Terwijl op zijn vorige platen dance-muziek slechts één van de vele smaken was, schakelde Mika nu door naar pure dance.

Het was opvallend dat in Paradiso juist de hits van zijn debuut en de betere songs van zijn tweede werkstuk het hart van de setlijst vormden. In Amsterdam kwam het zaakje bijvoorbeeld pas goed op gang bij het Jackie Brown, een song die zo uit het oeuvre van Queen gehaald had kunnen zijn. Meteen was daar die hoge kenmerkende falsetstem en het publiekelijke handjeklap. Maar de tracks van Mika zijn niet allemaal even sterk. Lola is een bleek dansnummertje, terwijl ook een song als Rain de diepgang van een vingerhoedje heeft. Maar Mika trok het zaakje snel op met de hit Big Girls dat werd opgetuigd met een ander intro en in het midden werd ingevuld door rake instrumentale breaks. Het was het sein voor een bomvol Paradiso om collectief uit hun dak te gaan. Stardust, één van de betere songs van The Origin Of Love kwam voorbij.

Tussendoor vertelde hij een grappige anekdote over zijn televisieoptreden, gisteravond bij Paul de Leeuw. Underwater kwam voorbij en daarna werd er razendsnel overgeschakeld naar een handvol hits met het sterke Stuck in the Middle als startpunt. Hoogtepunt daarin was de werkelijk prachtig geconstrueerde song Happy Ending met waarachtig vocaal vuurwerk, Terwijl een aantal fans in een witte pakken me groene stippen het koortje mochten vormen, gooide Mika in Love Today in Roger Daltrey-stijl zijn microfoon in de lucht. Slim werd de truc van versnelling in deze song gebruikt met een hossende massa als resultaat. Het genadeschot gaf hij met Celebrate waarna de reguliere set met Grace Kelly werd afgesloten. Mika trok het feestje door in de toegiften Lollipop, dat hoe fout en mierzoet het ook is, werkte prima. Met We Are Golden werd in stijl het laatst stuk muziek gespeeld. Conclusie: Mika is duidelijk zoekende naar een nieuwe stijl maar het is zaak dat hij niet wegdrijft van datgene wat hem beroemd maakte. Het schrijven van pakkende op pianomelodieën gebaseerde songs.

waardering: ***

Mika: gezien en gehoord, gisteravond in Paradiso, Amsterdam. The Origin Of Love (Universal Music) is nu uit.

'Jackie'?? Brown?;)

Woont Mika deels in Miami?

Deze journalist is erg slordig met de nederlandse taal, maar verder best een aardige recensie.

Edited by AnnaMariaPetra

I might be naive, but I do not believe this:

Jammer is dan weer wel, dat ondanks het koor en de meezingende bandleden, het blijkbaar toch nodig is om een bandje op de achtergrond mee te laten draaien. Als je met zoveel man op het podium staat, zou dat toch anders moeten kunnen lijkt mij.'

from one of the reviews (I believe it is mentioned already but it is this one: http://musicisallwegot.wordpress.com/tag/grace-kelly/)

The reviewer says: It is a pity that, although there was a choir and singalone band members, there was apparently the need to use vocals on tape. If you are with as many people on stage that shouldn't be necessary.

My question to other MFC'ers: am I that naive or wasn't there a tape?:dunno:

Aaaaaw, thank you for the lovely picture of Maaikie and me!:huglove: