Happy Ending Lyrics

CazGirl

Hey guys!

So, I was on YouTube listening to a Hong Kong interview and they asked him about Happy Ending, and Mika stated that it wasn't really a break up song because he wasn't going through a break up at the time, and that whenever he was around Los Angeles (i think) he always saw homeless people, and that it was about that.

But for me, the lyrics don't connect in that way....I feel that Over My Shoulder can relate to it more. Not saying that it DOES, but lyrically...I can envisualise it.

Happy Ending lyrics:

This is the way you left me

I'm not pretending

No hope, no love, no glory,

No happy ending

This is the way that we love

like it's forever

and live the rest of our lives

But not together

Wake up in the morning, stumble on my life

Can't get no love without sacrifice

If anything should happen, I guess I wish you well

A little bit of heaven, and a little bit of hell

This is the hardest story that I've ever told

No hope, no love, no glory

Happy Ending's gone forevermore

I feel as if I'm wasting

And I wasted everyday

I'm not pretending

No happy ending

like it's forever

And live the rest of our lives

But not together

Two o'clock in the morning, something's on my mind

Can't get no rest, keep walking around

If I pretend that nothing ever went wrong

I can get to my sleep, I can think that we just carried on

This is the hardest story that I've ever told

Happy ending's gone forevermore

I feel as I'm wasted

And I wasted everyday

Oh I

This is the way you left me, I'm not pretending

Feel as if I'm wasted

No happy ending

And I

This is the way that we love, like it's forever

Wasted everyday

And live the rest of our life, but not together

Little bit of love

Little bit of love

Little bit of love, little bit of love, little bit of love....

I feel as if I'm wasted

And I wasted everyday

Hey, hey, hey, hey

I'm not pretending

No happy ending

Like it's forever

And live the rest of our life

But not together

anyone got their own interpretation?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that originally it may have been meant to be a sort of breakup song, even if he wasn't personally going through that while writing it.

Consider the lyrics:

But not together...If anything should happen, I guess I wish you well...

At least for part of the song, the words are clearly from one person to another specific person.

My baseless guess is that maybe Mika had the line "no hope, no love, no glory, no happy ending" running through his mind while seeing these homeless people in LA, because I can see how it applies to that.

But I would be skeptical that the whole thing was written about that topic. Mika also said in that same interview that he'd like to make the Happy Ending video about homelessness - and if he's telling me that the video he came up with is indeed about the topic - well, that's one hell of a stretch, even for Mr. Mika.

I think that originally it may have been meant to be a sort of breakup song, even if he wasn't personally going through that while writing it.

Consider the lyrics:

But not together...If anything should happen, I guess I wish you well...

At least for part of the song, the words are clearly from one person to another specific person.

My baseless guess is that maybe Mika had the line "no hope, no love, no glory, no happy ending" running through his mind while seeing these homeless people in LA, because I can see how it applies to that.

But I would be skeptical that the whole thing was written about that topic. Mika also said in that same interview that he'd like to make the Happy Ending video about homelessness - and if he's telling me that the video he came up with is indeed about the topic - well, that's one hell of a stretch, even for Mr. Mika.

yeah i can understand why some parts can relate to it, but others parts seem quite personal.

i cant find the "making of" video, it must have been taken off, but i found the hong kong interview:

i love it when he explains the gloves and goes "and they all come together and sing 'little bit of love, little bit of love'.." and he giggles as he says "and that's..." then he stops giggling, goes all serious, and says "that's the chorus."

:roftl: :roftl:

i love it when he explains the gloves and goes "and they all come together and sing 'little bit of love, little bit of love'.." and he giggles as he says "and that's..." then he stops giggling, goes all serious, and says "that's the chorus."

:roftl:

I love it when he explains the toy theatre..

"How amazing is that, hihihi"

H5_.jpg

H4_.jpg

:wub2:

:roftl::roll1:

It's also so funny when he's explaining how the characters on the wall kinda notice him and he does that thing with his hands :roftl: It does look that he's enjoying his time & loving what he's doing.. and thats what i love about him:wub2:

it's my favourite Mika song-and video:) it's beautiful

yeah,mine too! in fact,that's how i was hooked on him the first place,when i saw his video and started searching for it on youtube.then i found him cute,so i searched for his photos and found this awesome place! :wink2:

i'm thinking,i guess happy ending's about someone being left behind.you see,this line:

This is the way you left me,i'm not pretending

no hope,no love,no glory,no happy ending..

could be the unfortunate children with their parents killed,or abandoned children perhaps.it could be the children of the countries at war.

and you can also notice this in the video.it's symbolic really.begins with Mika in bed,and then a balloon ties itself on his wrist and flies him away.(hopes for a better world) then you'll see the lil bit of love part,which i think represents the donating hands that help the homeless ones.

js my oppinion :wink2:

I love it when he explains the toy theatre..

"How amazing is that, hihihi"

H5_.jpg

H4_.jpg

:wub2:

Look how enthusiastic he is explaining on what this toy theatre is, so sweet.

If i'm looking for it in the lyrics, i can see it. I can't find any contradictions, i like the message of it. So it seems he wanted to write it as if from a homeless persons perspective.

The thing i wonder about more is the music video. I reeeallly love the Happy Ending music video, but if it was about central issues or ideas stemming from the homeless people he sees, wouldn't if have some sort of nod towards that in the video?

And maybe it does, or maybe he just didn't want it to. who knows.

Good question!

I think this is going to be one of those songs that reguardless of what it was written about, it'll take on the life we want it to.

Examples, homeless, loss of love, survival of love....or what ever the personal interpretation is for yourself, it just works.

And on that note, i would just like to say this is my favourite song, and good work Mika for writting it!!!!

I think this is going to be one of those songs that reguardless of what it was written about' date=' it'll take on the life we want it to.

Examples, homeless, loss of love, survival of love....or what ever the personal interpretation is for yourself, it just works.

And on that note, i would just like to say this is my favourite song, and good work Mika for writting it!!!![/quote']

sorry to get off topic but...

from your siggy i see your a hanson fan =] schveeeet!

you should check out the hanson thread

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14059&highlight=hanson

me and my sister just went to one of their shows in Royal Oak!

I think this is going to be one of those songs that reguardless of what it was written about' date=' it'll take on the life we want it to.

And on that note, i would just like to say this is my favourite song, and good work Mika for writting it!!!![/quote']

Yup...very true:thumb_yello:

The thing i wonder about more is the music video. I reeeallly love the Happy Ending music video, but if it was about central issues or ideas stemming from the homeless people he sees, wouldn't if have some sort of nod towards that in the video?

I bet he realizes that songs mean so many different things to different people who hear them, depending on their lives and experiences. I bet he wanted to leave the video more open-ended, and open to various interpretations. He has his own reasons for writing it, but we all get different things out of the song and the lyrics.

sorry to get off topic but...

from your siggy i see your a hanson fan =] schveeeet!

you should check out the hanson thread

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14059&highlight=hanson

me and my sister just went to one of their shows in Royal Oak!

Another Hanson fan! Yesss!!! :punk:

yeah i heard him saying that he wanted to make the video about the homeless

but he didn't mention that he meant writing about them

i think it was a good idea though, too bad he didn't do it .. the lyrics kinda fit with that subject