’Mika recommends’- music he likes

suzie

As there are several threads on what other artists you like, I thought it might be a good idea to collect Mika’s favourite music / musicians on one thread in case you want to check out any names unknown to you.
(It would be similar to the A-list MFC thread, so additional names are welcome, these are only names that first came to my mind)

Rules: only 'documented mentions’ count

I., Main influences:
popular music:
The Beatles, Queen, Michael Jackson, Prince, Harry Nilsson, Kurt Weill, Bob Dylan, Elton John, David Bowie, Serge Gainsbourg, Joan Baez, The Who, Beck

classical music:
W.A.Mozart, Rossini, Schubert, Kurt Weill, Igor Stravinsky

II., Other musicans he likes:
Adele, Amy Whinehouse, Annie Lennox, Arcade Fire, Asha Bhosle,
Barbara, Beach Boys, Bee Gees, Beirut,Beth Ditto, Bodies Without Organs, Blondie, Bronski Beat,
Calvin Harris, Communards,
David Usher, Depeche Mode, Disney Soundtracks from the 1930s, Dolly Parton, Duffy,
Eartha Kitt - except her disco period,
Fairuz, Feist, Final Fantasy, Flaming Lips, Fleet Foxes, Fleetwood Mac, France Gall, Frank Sinatra,
George Michael, Gwen Stefani,
Imogen Heap, INXS,
Jacques Brel, Jane Birkin,
King's Singers, Kylie Minogue,
Lady GaGa, La Roux, Lily Allen, Littleboots,
Madonna, Madeleine Peyroux, Marlene Dietrich singing Kurt Weil, Moloko, Muse,
Nellie McKay, Nina Simone, Nirvana,
Of Montreal,
Paolo Conte, Paolo Nuitini, Patrick Wolf, Pet Shop Boys, Pink Floyd,
Robyn, Rufus Wainwright,
Scissor Sisters, Shiina Ringo, Selma
Tegan and Sara, The Cribs, The Mama's and the Papa's, The National, The Postal Service, The Stone Roses, Tiga, Ting Tings, Tino Rossi, Tiny Dancers
Wouter Hamel
Yaz, Yelle, Yoshida Kyodai

III., Songs he has ever picked as favourites (from artists not mentioned above)

Ace of Base The Sign
Andrew Bird Oh No
Barry Manilow: Copacabana
Bonde Do Role Solta O Frango
Blur: Country House
Beyonce Single Ladies
Britney Spears: Toxic
Chris Garneau - Dirty Night Clowns
Death Cab For Cutie Marching Bands Of Manhattan
Eartha Kitt My Heart Belongs to Daddy
Edith Piaf: Milord
Elvis Presley: Wooden Heart
Estelle American Boy
Faithless: God Is a DJ
Feist:My Moon My Man
Fiona Apple: Paper Bag
Fleetwood Mac: Everywhere
Grace Jones: Pull Up To The Bumper
Groove Armada
Gwen Guthrie: Ain't nothing Going On But the Rent
Infadels: Love Like Semtex
Johnny Cash: Ring of Fire
Justice D.A.N.C.E
Jungle Book Soundtrack: Bare Necessities
Kate Nash: Pumpkin soup
Kid Creole and the Coconuts: Annie I'm not your daddy
Kings Of Leon On Call
Little Mermaid Soundtrack: Under the Sea
Lonely Drifter Karen: True Desire
Maroon 5: Sunday Morning
Michael Sembello: Maniac (Flashdance soundtrack )
MGMT: Kids
Missy Elliott Work It
Nelli Furtado: Maneater
Pulp Disco 2000
Remi Nicole Go With The Flow (Pull Tiger Tail Remix)
Simian Mobile Disco Hot Dog
The Fratellis Henrietta
The Knife We Share Our Mothers Health
The Lollipop Guild + Optimistics Voices from Wizard of Oz Soundtrack
The Proclaimers I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
The Slits I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Vera Lyn: As Time Goes By
Yael Naim: New Soul
Yazzoo: Only You

IV.,Cover versions he has done:
Ain’t Got No / I Got Life (Nina Simone) – tv show
Can’t Stand Losing You (The Police) – officially released
Comment te dire adieu (Françoise Hardy) - tv show
Don't Stop Believing (Journey) - radio
Everybody’s Talking (Harry Nilsson) - tv show + officially released version
Faith (George Michael) - concert
I Want You Back (The Jackson 5) - concert
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues (Elton John's ) - radio show
Get Down (Groove Armada) - concert
Hips Don’t Lie (Shakira) – radio show
Just Can’t Get Enough (Depeche Mode) - concert
La solitude (Babara)
Les Champs Elysées (Joe Dassin)
Let It Snow (Dean Martin) - concert and radio
Missionary Man (The Eurythmics) - concert
Poker Face (Lady Gaga) - radio + will be released officially with Rain single
Same Jeans (The View) with Cornershop’ Brimful of Asha and Marc Cohn’s Walking in Memphis in the middle - radio show
Satellite ( Dave Matthews Band) – officially released
Standing in the way of Control (The Gossip) – concert + officially released
Sweet Dreams (The Eurythmics) - concert
Teardrop (Massive Attack) – radio show
Une belle histoire (Michel Fugain)
When Doves Cry (Prince) - concert
You Got the Love (Candy Station) - concert

V., No real cover versions, just singing a couple of lines for the sake of fun (or because he was asked and was unable to decline :biggrin2: ..)
Macarena (Los del Rio)
Killer Queen (Queen)
I Want To Break Free -mixed with Underpressure (Queen) with Randy the Rat :biggrin2:
La Donna e Mobile (from Rigoletto)
Die Forelle (Schubert)
Fernando (Abba)
La Boheme (Charles Aznavour)
Laisse Tomber les Filles (France Gall)

Edited by mari62
  • Like 1

Fleetwood Mac -Everywhere

MGMT-kids

Kate Nash-Pumpkin sopu

Yes he played these songs as far as I can remember before his gigs

and he also likes The National

Edited by vanessa

Why do you think he likes Lily Allen? I'm pretty sure he doesn't care for her at all. :naughty:

He likes Bodies Without Organs, Yelle, Tiny Dancers, Ting Tings, Sara & Teegan and Lady GaGa.

I am guessing he likes the work of Boy George and Imogen Heap in order to want to collaborate with them.

Fleetwood Mac -Everywhere

MGMT-kids

Kate Nash-Pumpkin sopu

Yes he played these songs as far as I can remember before his gigs

Added - I remember the first 2 :wink2:

and he also likes The National

When did he say that and who are they?:blink:

He likes Bodies Without Organs, Yelle, Tiny Dancers, Ting Tings, Sara & Teegan and Lady GaGa. .

Oh no, I was hoping no-one will remember BOW... but OK, it's his choice, not mine... I don't know what is delicious about them but I doubt it is their music...:naughty:

Will add them all:wink2:

I am guessing he likes the work of Boy George and Imogen Heap in order to want to collaborate with them.

:blink::blink: I seem to have missed a lot in the 2nd half of 2008 when I was focusing on other things and not visiting this site... Boy George? How does he come into the picture in terms of possible collaboration? I thought he was in jail, anyway.:blink:

Oh no, I was hoping no-one will remember BOW... but OK, it's his choice, not mine... I don't know what is delicious about them but I doubt it is their music...:naughty:

I was just listening to new Pet Shop Boys and Did You See Me Coming reminds me of Sunshine in the Rain.

Boy George? How does he come into the picture in terms of possible collaboration? I thought he was in jail, anyway.:blink:

I don't know about jail, but he and Mika wrote a song together according to Boy George.

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15684

Imogen Heap

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16931

Covers: The Proclaimers, 500 miles (in Ibiza); Marc Cohen, Walking In Memphis (when he did The View cover on R1 Live Lounge); Eurythmics, Missionary Man.

Favourite music: Edith Piaf, Milord; Grace Jones, Pull Up To The Bumper; Gwen Guthrie, Ain't nothing Going On But the Rent: Lily Allen, Alfie.

And how could we forget: DOLLY PARTON 9 TO 5!

Edited by RAK1

Why do you think he likes Lily Allen? I'm pretty sure he doesn't care for her at all. :naughty:

He likes Bodies Without Organs, Yelle, Tiny Dancers, Ting Tings, Sara & Teegan and Lady GaGa.

I can tell that you're not a fan; It's "Tegan and Sara" :roftl:.

I thought that this thread was meant to be about who Mika likes, and not who we like :bleh::roftl:

I can tell that you're not a fan; It's "Tegan and Sara" :roftl:.

I was going to call them Sariflor and Nico Collard so that was a bit closer at least. :naughty:

In any case they suck. Definitely worst pick of Mika's I've heard. :thumbdown:

Covers: The Proclaimers, 500 miles (in Ibiza); Marc Cohen, Walking In Memphis (when he did The View cover on R1 Live Lounge); Eurythmics, Missionary Man.

Favourite music: Edith Piaf, Milord; Grace Jones, Pull Up To The Bumper; Gwen Guthrie, Ain't nothing Going On But the Rent: Lily Allen, Alfie.

I added them all!!! - starting with Dolly Parton.

Actually, if Walking in Memphis is included, I should add Brimful of Asha... and I will in a minute

Didn't know about walking in memphis :blink:

Is there any recording of that?

I didn't know he'd covered 500 Miles! I love that song!!

He mentioned it in an interview, when he went there for the first time, he was just with Martin I think, because they didn't have anymore songs and Martin just started to play it. That was the one where everyone started walzing around the room to it.:naughty:

I was just listening to new Pet Shop Boys and Did You See Me Coming reminds me of Sunshine in the Rain.

I don't know either songs but I will check that tomorrow. You seem to have turned into a real PSB fan now..:naughty:

Imogen Heap

added

I don't know about jail, but he and Mika wrote a song together according to Boy George.

Thank you so much for the info !!!! I listened the interview, praying BG will not be bitchy this time and he wasn't... ( have you noticed how Perez's gestures suddenly changed when Mika was mentioned? He suddenly became sort of tense.... )

Anyway, it seems to me that Mika wrote a song together with Amanda Ghost (who was working with BG a couple of years ago but she is most famous for writing You're Beautiful forJames Blunt and Beautiful Liar for Beyoncé) and Boy George was just hanging around... He must have been curious to meet Mika so he arranged it.

It does not prove to me that Mika likes BG but I will put BG on the A-list MFC thead:naughty:

He mentioned it in an interview, when he went there for the first time, he was just with Martin I think, because they didn't have anymore songs and Martin just started to play it. That was the one where everyone started walzing around the room to it.:naughty:

yes, and we talked about that in the 2006 thread

Hmmm.. I thought the waltzing around song was Billy Brown..

But as we don't have 'proof' of it, we should probably delete it or add all the songs from Cabaret sung by the Master of Ceremonies, too:naughty: ( i.e. Willkommen, Money Money..etc)

When he covered Same Jeans on R1 he incorperated WIM into it.

He added it in his cover of 'same jeans' for radio 1

thanks but are you sure? Have just listened to radio1livelounge where he sings same jeans but have not heard WIM

EDIT: aw now I see what you mean... gonna listen to it again :D

Edited by mari62
adding sentence

thanks but are you sure? Have just listened to radio1livelounge where he sings same jeans but have not heard WIM

he incorporated parts of Walking in Memphis and Brimful of Asha into Same Jeans - So I put them in the partly covered part :-)

he incorporated parts of Walking in Memphis and Brimful of Asha into Same Jeans - So I put them in the partly covered part :-)

aw thanks now I understand what you meant :D and he also tells it after singing it, hadn't noticed it