Mika: 'Rain': Digital Spy Review

dcdeb

150x150_music_single_mika.jpg

Mika: 'Rain'

rating_4stars.gif

Released on Thursday, November 19 2009

By David Balls, Music Reporter

When Mika excitedly burst into the public consciousness two years ago, it was nigh on impossible to avoid his piercing falsetto and over-exuberant personality. His debut album Life In Cartoon Motion shifted over six million copies worldwide, with some even heralding him as the new Freddie Mercury, but for others he was nothing more than a nauseating annoyance hogging the airwaves.

Those unconvinced that much had changed when Mika returned with 'We Are Golden' this summer should be pleasantly surprised by 'Rain', the second single from his Boy Who Knew Too Much album. The shrieking has been reined in, the nursery rhyme hooks have been ditched and instead we're treated to a concoction of shimmering synths, layered vocals and throbbing, clubby beats. As it builds towards a crescendo that's both intriguingly dark and glitteringly magical, Mika proves he's perfectly capable of channelling his hyperactivity in the right direction. Here's hoping for more of this in the future.

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/singlesreviews/a187705/mika-rain.html

Click HERE to read our review of Mika's new album.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rating_4stars.gif

Released on Thursday, November 19 2009

By David Balls, Music Reporter

When Mika excitedly burst into the public consciousness two years ago, it was nigh on impossible to avoid his piercing falsetto and over-exuberant personality. His debut album Life In Cartoon Motion shifted over six million copies worldwide, with some even heralding him as the new Freddie Mercury, but for others he was nothing more than a nauseating annoyance hogging the airwaves.

Those unconvinced that much had changed when Mika returned with 'We Are Golden' this summer should be pleasantly surprised by 'Rain', the second single from his Boy Who Knew Too Much album. The shrieking has been reined in, the nursery rhyme hooks have been ditched and instead we're treated to a concoction of shimmering synths, layered vocals and throbbing, clubby beats. As it builds towards a crescendo that's both intriguingly dark and glitteringly magical, Mika proves he's perfectly capable of channelling his hyperactivity in the right direction. Here's hoping for more of this in the future.

Great Review :thumb_yello: T4p

But :sneaky2: I have to say this, or I will explode :blowup:

"As it builds towards a crescendo " I hate this phrase :aah: it is simply wrong :aah::aah::aah: and it is used so often by ignorant people, but you would expect a music critic to know better.

To "Crescendo" means "to get louder" - ie you start quiet, crescendo/get louder and end up loud. Crescendo is the journey, NOT the destination.

To arrive at a crescendo means to arrive at the point where the music begins to get louder, not the bit where the music has finally got loud. :sneaky2:

There is an increasing tendancy for people to misuse "crescendo", when they mean "climax" They are not the same :aah:

Rant Over. Carry on :mf_rosetinted:

"As it builds towards a crescendo " I hate this phrase :aah: it is simply wrong :aah::aah::aah: and it is used so often by ignorant people, but you would expect a music critic to know better.

To "Crescendo" means "to get louder" - ie you start quiet, crescendo/get louder and end up loud. Crescendo is the journey, NOT the destination.

:thumb_yello:

Good point.

As English is not my first language, I thought he used this phrase because it already exists in English (with a changed meaning...)

Thank you for pointing it out to us all. So the correct phrase should be " it builds towards a climax " ....

However, I have another problem even with this phrase.... I think he wanted to refer to something 'grandiose' happening in the song. In a way he is right because using crescendo in an electro pop / dance record is not typical, but I personally would have kept using this phrase for songs like Happy Ending... That song really has a climax, particularly when performed live. :blush-anim-cl:

...still like the review though:wink2:

:thumb_yello:

Good point.

As English is not my first language, I thought he used this phrase because it already exists in English (with a changed meaning...)

Thank you for pointing it out to us all. So the correct phrase should be " it builds towards a climax " ....

However, I have another problem even with this phrase.... I think he wanted to refer to something 'grandiose' happening in the song. In a way he is right because using crescendo in an electro pop / dance record is not typical, but I personally would have kept using this phrase for songs like Happy Ending... That song really has a climax, particularly when performed live. :blush-anim-cl:

...still like the review though:wink2:

I'm being very pedantic :aah: So many people use this word in this way, that it must be close to being accepted usage :aah: But it stems from a misunderstanding, and so i don't like it :blush-anim-cl:

I agree that Rain doesn't build the way Happy Ending does - I love the way he does that :biggrin2:

Great Review :thumb_yello: T4p

But :sneaky2: I have to say this, or I will explode :blowup:

To arrive at a crescendo means to arrive at the point where the music begins to get louder, not the bit where the music has finally got loud. :sneaky2:

There is an increasing tendancy for people to misuse "crescendo", when they mean "climax" They are not the same :aah:

Rant Over. Carry on :mf_rosetinted:

Good point, and you are right, of course.

I do think of the whole of (the CD version of) Rain as crescendo though. The whole track builds in depth and emotion and layers from the very start to the very end so 'crescendo' is a good term to use, but the reviewer used it incorrectly. :biggrin2:

Anyway, great review! Good to see someone honest and unbiased enough to acknowledge a good song from an artist they probably aren't over keen on. :wink2:

rating_4stars.gif

Thank you Deb!

I don't agree with the first couple of paragraphs - but I like a lot what David Balls says about Rain!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Kudos!

A good review from Digital spy:thumb_yello::biggrin2:

I love the album version of rain. Hated it before that though. Now it is a great dance track, and I especially love his pet shop boys channelling in the middle.

A good review from Digital spy:thumb_yello::biggrin2:

I love the album version of rain. Hated it before that though. Now it is a great dance track, and I especially love his pet shop boys channelling in the middle.

Yeah I hated the 'old' version too - but Rain is in my top 3 fave songs on the album now :wub2:

Nice review !