What do you think about Big Girls (You Are Beautiful) video ?

Yoppappop

Thank you for expressing how I feel. Yes, I was giggling too, I especially like the way Mika stuck his head between the waists of the two girls and the look on his face is so adorable. The dancing at the end in the circle reminded me of parties that I have been too, no it never looked like hollywood, but boy was it fun just goofing around! Everyday people having fun, enjoying life. I think you really summed it up for me. Thank you!:thumb_yello:

I concur! I concur! I loved the video because it wasn't as "polished" as the others, and made Mika seem more average-guy-having-fun than crazy-gorgeous-popstar (although, no matter what he does he'll be crazy-gorgeous...). I also liked how the video had people of all sizes in it, and Mika looked like he was having a really fun time. And he looked soooo sexy playing with his braces and peeking his head between the hips of the women. I wish there were more videos like this...the whole huge production thing seems tacky sometimes...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the video is adorable!!! Mika looks very childish there! Or is it just me ?:blink:

Anybody know who the director is?? Sophie Muller again or...??

And I LOVED the people's face expressions.. "Whats going on??!?":biggrin2:

I loved it aswell...i know there are people out there who dont like it and i respect their oppinions.

I personally Loved ever single bit of it and i cant wait for it to make its way onto the music channels :blush-anim-cl:

I wonder though if Mika will have people dancing behind him randomly as he walks down the high street now :naughty::thumb_yello:

it's amatorial filming, no doubt!

i like it because it's mika's and i confess i'm too partial!

i like it because it's naive, kiddish, could be done by any of us in a friend meet-up! and i think this is what mika wanted it to be, a meet-up with FRIENDS! and not connected with the real song itself.

you know what? risking to show an old fart, i like these sort of things better than having him playing the sex-puppet taking off clothes at his gigs. Not that i don't like him half naked or dancing in his famous sweet dream video (:mf_lustslow: :mf_lustslow: ), but that trend is puzzling me more than big girl naivety.

amen.

well, i know it won't be on any greatest videos of all times chart any time soon, but hey! it's fun and wacky and mika-ish and it had to be different from the other two so i give it a thumbs-up!:thumb_yello:

I have kinda weird feeling about this video. The first time I saw it I thought it was too common and lacked scenario. While I still think it could be made much better I really like to watch it and the feeling in it is very joyful - I can really imagine going on street one ordinary day and - wow, what's going on here!:punk: I think it really shows people's will to express themselves and their opinions sometimes - for example, many times I thought "Hmm, what would happen if I got up to the table and start singing out loud during a lesson at school?" It's like in this case "Big girls are beautiful - why can't we go in the streets and scream out loud we love them?" It's like message which one wants to express and wants people around to empathize with.

A little bit messy but I hope you got the idea :wink2:

For me the big difference was between the fabulous vibrant colourful photos that got posted on MFC here after the shoot, and the somewhat dulled-down effect of the video as a whole. That was disappointing.

I think you hit the nail on the head for me. I think that is what I meant by 'something is missing': the photos from the shoot are so much more colourful and I expected the video to be just like that. It makes it all a bit 'dulled-down' as you say.

But maybe the colours got lost a bit because of the upload. I'm looking forward to see this video on a tv screen, I hope the colourful 'sparkling' liveliness will show off much better that way.

I see that some of you don't like it because you think it's not professional enough and because it's sort of cheap...But I really like it! And I'm not being partial (at least not too much:bleh: ).

I like it because it's so different than all the other videos played on MTV now- it's special and interesting. It seems so relaxed and unburdened. The right thing to make you smile after a busy day.:thumb_yello:

Please don't find this to strange but the scene kind of reminds me of Only fools and horses series. But only the scene, I don't want someone to think that Mika is like Delboy or Rodney.:naughty:

Anyway- I sure like it. A lot!:punk:

I see that some of you don't like it because you think it's not professional enough and because it's sort of cheap...But I really like it! And I'm not being partial (at least not too much:bleh: ).

I like it because it's so different than all the other videos played on MTV now- it's special and interesting. It seems so relaxed and unburdened. The right thing to make you smile after a busy day.:thumb_yello:

Please don't find this to strange but the scene kind of reminds me of Only fools and horses series. But only the scene, I don't want someone to think that Mika is like Delboy or Rodney.:naughty:

Anyway- I sure like it. A lot!:punk:

Only fools and horses :biggrin2: :biggrin2: , how true

Only fools and horses :biggrin2: :biggrin2: , how true

Well that was my first association when I saw the video. Maybe ths is one of the reasons why I like the video so much (I love that series:biggrin2: )

Well, i think it's very 'home made' looking but it all adds to the reality of it.

It looks like loads of people had fun doing it - i'm loving the balloons, brolleys and flags, and the peoples faces watching are great!! LOL!!:biggrin2:

Cheap and cheerful is good - also i think it's nice to have a different video. They are all 'the same' these days- know what i mean? So, yeah, love it. Well done Mika and everyone who took part in it! :thumb_yello::biggrin2:

I have to say I really like it, and I like the 'amateurish' quality to it which I think is deliberate! But it's a matter of taste I suppose.

I think it manages to avoid being too over the top and - much as I hate this word - camp, which is good, because whether we like it or not 'Big Girl' is a camp song and is going to be pounced on by a lot of people for that, and I think this video is a good, balanced accompaniment to the song. It comes across as honest, if you understand what I mean. I think it's another smart move on Mika's part!

He's just too clever.

:glasses2:

Hmmm, I don't really know... I was underwhelmed by the Love Today video, personally. Sure, it was studio shot, but it looked rather quickly thrown together without all that much thought. I felt THAT was the video that could have benefitted from more direction, something a bit more interesting than just people dancing. I liked the idea of the cafe scene, but I thought it could have been done more realistically, for instance, rather than looking like a bunch of dancers at a cafe backdrop. My favorite video of his is still Grace Kelly, and I hope he will eventually make a few more in that vein--quirky but very polished-looking, and just a little bit fantastical.

This video, sure, I might have initially had a different concept of it in my head, but I think I expected it to be lower-key since it was all shot so quickly. I would have loved it to be full of saturated color and well-tuned group dancing, but I really like it this way too. It does have that charming home movie-documentary feel to it, as if the cameras were just following Mika around backstage or on his day off, and this is what they recorded.

I actually think that rather WAS the concept of the video. Remember that interview where he said something like, "this is my reality--when I go out on the street, I don't see models, I don't see fancy cars, I see big girls"? So I think this video is just meant to show Mika's reality, which is why it is filmed like a home video--like this is just what he sees when he goes out on the streets. It's not a big music video production, it's just another day in Mikaworld!

I also really like the dance-off scene, because we get to see so many people of all shapes and sizes, men and women, having fun there. Some people had earlier criticized the song for seemingly saying that only big girls are beautiful and being negative about skinny girls in return (the lyrics do suggest that, though considering how slender Mika's sisters are he could hardly have meant it), but in that scene it's obvious that the song is meant to be a force of unity, not division. Plus it just looks like great fun.

--Jack

Hmmm, I don't really know... I was underwhelmed by the Love Today video, personally. Sure, it was studio shot, but it looked rather quickly thrown together without all that much thought. I felt THAT was the video that could have benefitted from more direction, something a bit more interesting than just people dancing. I liked the idea of the cafe scene, but I thought it could have been done more realistically, for instance, rather than looking like a bunch of dancers at a cafe backdrop. My favorite video of his is still Grace Kelly, and I hope he will eventually make a few more in that vein--quirky but very polished-looking, and just a little bit fantastical.

This video, sure, I might have initially had a different concept of it in my head, but I think I expected it to be lower-key since it was all shot so quickly. I would have loved it to be full of saturated color and well-tuned group dancing, but I really like it this way too. It does have that charming home movie-documentary feel to it, as if the cameras were just following Mika around backstage or on his day off, and this is what they recorded.

I actually think that rather WAS the concept of the video. Remember that interview where he said something like, "this is my reality--when I go out on the street, I don't see models, I don't see fancy cars, I see big girls"? So I think this video is just meant to show Mika's reality, which is why it is filmed like a home video--like this is just what he sees when he goes out on the streets. It's not a big music video production, it's just another day in Mikaworld!

I also really like the dance-off scene, because we get to see so many people of all shapes and sizes, men and women, having fun there. Some people had earlier criticized the song for seemingly saying that only big girls are beautiful and being negative about skinny girls in return (the lyrics do suggest that, though considering how slender Mika's sisters are he could hardly have meant it), but in that scene it's obvious that the song is meant to be a force of unity, not division. Plus it just looks like great fun.

--Jack

I agree with all of this, Jack. I too like the way all shapes and sizes and indeed ages are represented. As a 'Big Girl' myself I'd actually have felt insulted if the video had ONLY had big women in it, as if we are a class apart or a speciality group or something.

And I like the way Mika is seen to be bringing colour and fun to a rather 'grey' location (no offence to anyone in that part of London by the way); I'm sure that must have been part of the idea behind it.

So the title says it all... What do you think about it ?

If you haven't seen it yet, it's on youtube.

Personnally, i think it looks a bit "cheap" :blink: It's not bad, that's not what i mean, but yeah, cheap... I don't really like it, though...

What about you ? Putting apart the fact that you're in it :naughty: (if you are)

I think it's JUST FINE. :biggrin2: I mean , according to the preliminary pics I was ready to see smth big and a bit confusing, but it appeared to be so sweet and down to earth. I mean it's like a real life and at the same time smth completely demented and surreal. I LIKE IT SO MUCH:punk:

Well... I think i haven't been clear enough (once again) about what i thought...

- i like the "home-video" style and it's true, it looks like the early 80's videos ! Well pointed Hooch !

- i like the fact that it's down to Earth, just a "normal day in Mikaworld"

- i like people faces when they look at them in the moiddle of the street, how puzzled they are

- i like the idea of people walking down the streets around Mika and just being what they are

- i like the fact that they just look like having fun together at the end

- i like the whole IDEA of the video

It's true that i've only talked about what i didn't like and didn't say what i liked, my fault.

Now, what bothers me :

- the big girls (and Mika) at the beginning don't look like they are having "so much fun" : it's a video and even if it's supposed to be down to Earth, they are supposed to make people want to join them, they are not supposed to make them feel like they are thinking "ok they told me to dance like this, now this move, where is the camera, what am i doing now, and bla bla bla"

- the colours are not very bright, even for a NORMAL DAY, but it's certainly a problem of uploading and quality on youtube

- it looks like it was made in a rush, which it's just supposed to LOOK LIKE in an intentional way, i don't know if that part is clear, but i mean that they are supposed to make us BELIEVE that it was made in a rush, no be sure of that

- the video doesn't do justice to the whole idea f the video because of all that, whereas it was certainly a good idea, for a change, to be in the real world, but the realisation of all that is kinda missed in my opinion... They could have done better, still in the SAME IDEA

I hope it's clearer now, everything i said... I think you're a bit "not objective" because you know everything that it's possible to know about Mika and his ideas and his world, and the signification of his songs, and EVEYTHING else... But a random person who sees this video MAY just think it's "poor", and that's too bad cause it could have been a SUPER IDEA :wink2: But once again, "Mika doesn't care about what people say, he just does what he wants to"... Whatever, he still sells CD and sells gigs out according to what people think :wink2:

AND the "look at me i'm walking down the street and i'm happy" type of video has been done before a lot of time, and it CAN look better that that...

its a music video. not a world war, so i wont go into any detail or debate about it!!

all i am going to say is.. its mika, and looks sexy, and i like the song!!

personally, i preffer love today video, but BG is still GOOD GOOD GOOD!!

its a music video. not a world war, so i wont go into any detail or debate about it!!

all i am going to say is.. its mika, and looks sexy, and i like the song!!

personally, i preffer love today video, but BG is still GOOD GOOD GOOD!!

Do you prefer a debate about how curly his hair is ? Or maybe simply How beautiful he is ? Or no no !! How wonderfully he sings... :bleh:

We can debate about anything, World war or not ! It's just CONVERSATION...

Do you prefer a debate about how curly his hair is ? Or maybe simply How beautiful he is ? Or no no !! How wonderfully he sings... :bleh:

We can debate about anything, World war or not ! It's just CONVERSATION...

i guess you're right!! maybe i just couldnt be bothered to type loads!! but, i havent got alot to say on it anway! its just...

mmmmmmmmmmmika!!

I personally love the video just the way it is! And please don't take anything the wrong way and read this all, I don't know how to say exactly what I want to say, so I apoligize if anything is taken the wrong way. I totally believe in Big Girls, and this video was tasteful, I thought!!!

So don't kill me, please.

I think it is sooooooo cute! I'm a big girl too, and I take pride in it, too. I think it comes off very real, but there are a lot of ways you could interpret that in the video. But I think it looks like real life. A song like this is about what we really see in real life, not glammed up. Just all these big girls coloring our world!

And I think the dancing was just enough, it was really cute. Any more might've been too much, like, "WE'RE ALL UP IN YOUR FACE!" Not exactly, and I'm exaggerating. Not that that's bad! But I think that the video just showed how normal it is.

What am I trying to say?... Oh here! The video I think more or less said, Big Girls, you're beautiful, too. And now I may be reading into it too much, but there's a line that can be crossed on this subject to the point of saying, We're big girls, and we're better than skinny people. Now, the video and song don't say this all. I think it just showed that big girls are here, too, and we should be recognized as equally beautiful, because we are, but if they were any more glammed up , there's a line that could be crossed, like "We're more beautiful than skinny people." Chunky Pam (1:35!!!!) (

) who is just down right offensive. This video doesn't and never could come close to that, not at all saying like, screw skinny people, we're better than that. We're all the same. We're beautiful just the way we are. We don't need to glam up! We're part of everyday life! We don't need to say we're better than anyone! We should be recognized the way we are. Big Girls, and aaaallllll the people (look at all the different people on the street in the vid, too) Are Beautiful, too. I think the down-earth sense in this video is good- Big Girls are everyday, beautiful life!

GREAT!!:thumb_yello: I AGREE WITH U:biggrin2:

So the title says it all... What do you think about it ?

If you haven't seen it yet, it's on youtube.

Personnally, i think it looks a bit "cheap" :blink: It's not bad, that's not what i mean, but yeah, cheap... I don't really like it, though...

What about you ? Putting apart the fact that you're in it :naughty: (if you are)

I totally agree. (So far I have only seen the youtube version but I also think it looks kinda low budget - maybe because it IS - LOL) Actually I thought in this way about the Relax video, too.

But it is colorful again and fit to transfer the joy.

Aaand, what I especially like about it is the fact that real fans were involved. I like that part of their strategy marketingwise. To integrate real people, fans, in the whole project. Same with the Lollipop Girls and some of the Big Girls who are chosen from the queue before the gigs. A very clever move that so totally fits the whole Mika concept. I'll observe that :mf_rosetinted: