What do you think about Big Girls (You Are Beautiful) video ?

Yoppappop

- the video doesn't do justice to the whole idea f the video because of all that, whereas it was certainly a good idea, for a change, to be in the real world, but the realisation of all that is kinda missed in my opinion... They could have done better, still in the SAME IDEA

I hope it's clearer now, everything i said... I think you're a bit "not objective" because you know everything that it's possible to know about Mika and his ideas and his world, and the signification of his songs, and EVEYTHING else... But a random person who sees this video MAY just think it's "poor", and that's too bad cause it could have been a SUPER IDEA :wink2: But once again, "Mika doesn't care about what people say, he just does what he wants to"... Whatever, he still sells CD and sells gigs out according to what people think :wink2:

AND the "look at me i'm walking down the street and i'm happy" type of video has been done before a lot of time, and it CAN look better that that...

I can't agree more with you.

It's important to share our opinions, as different as they could be!!

Remember we all love Mika here. Btw u look all great in the video (i've read the other thread):thumb_yello:

Really when I watched the video, I remembered the one with a woman walking in the street in USA (she recieved an award for it in the 90's), & "biter sweet symphony" where a man was singin while walkin in the street...but there the camera was focused on them all the time..

But in Big girl, not...it's in the middle...it's as they wanted to do like this but they dont....I have the feeling of something incomplet.

I understand really good, as I already said in the begining of the thraed, the idea of real life which is a very good one & I remember really good Mika's interview in which he said that...but in this spirit personnaly I would have seen something simplier, more "natural" than this..otherwise I would prefer something faster more energetic completly colourful...but have to say that in real life we'll never see a big girl walkin in the street with a bright blue corset...

that's why I say it's in the middle.

Hope u won't missunderstand me, this is really what I think & I hope that non MFCer won't have the same opinion!!

Btw I'm not sure that Mika doesn't care at this point about what people say...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't agree more with you.

It's important to share our opinions, as different as they could be!!

Remember we all love Mika here. Btw u look all great in the video (i've read the other thread):thumb_yello:

Really when I watched the video, I remembered the one with a woman walking in the street in USA (she recieved an award for it in the 90's), & "biter sweet symphony" where a man was singin while walkin in the street...but there the camera was focused on them all the time..

But in Big girl, not...it's in the middle...it's as they wanted to do like this but they dont....I have the feeling of something incomplet.

I understand really good, as I already said in the begining of the thraed, the idea of real life which is a very good one & I remember really good Mika's interview in which he said that...but in this spirit personnaly I would have seen something simplier, more "natural" than this..otherwise I would prefer something faster more energetic completly colourful...but have to say that in real life we'll never see a big girl walkin in the street with a bright blue corset...

that's why I say it's in the middle.

Hope u won't missunderstand me, this is really what I think & I hope that non MFCer won't have the same opinion!!

Btw I'm not sure that Mika doesn't care at this point about what people say...

I agree with you! :blink: So sorry! XD

I would have wanted something more energetic, for sure..

When I watched it, I felt that there was something missing.. Especially the end part.. Maybe they should have danced more or smth like that.. I can't explain, something really was missing.. for me o.O

I also really like the dance-off scene, because we get to see so many people of all shapes and sizes, men and women, having fun there. Some people had earlier criticized the song for seemingly saying that only big girls are beautiful and being negative about skinny girls in return (the lyrics do suggest that, though considering how slender Mika's sisters are he could hardly have meant it), but in that scene it's obvious that the song is meant to be a force of unity, not division. Plus it just looks like great fun.

--Jack

I agree!

Mika himself reassured us of that, by the way, in a recent interview - Australia, I think? Sorry I don't have a link. But he was talking about the song and said something along the lines of "it's about being happy with yourself no matter what size you are." So yeah! :thumb_yello:

Well, I know what you mean about looking cheap. It certainly isn't an expensive, glossy production like maybe GK and LT were. But I kinda think it has charm, and colour and Big Girls ;)

Actually I really liked it! It was fun and it made me chuckle. It looked like a scream to do, and I love the look on the peoples faces in the market :naughty: It just looked like everybody was having a really great time and that made me smile :biggrin2:

I am not sure grace kelly was all that expensive.. it employs the whole family to save on the budget.. :naughty:

plus that's a lovely choice and i adore the video. :thumb_yello:

I like the fact mika shoot big girl with his fans. that's to appreciate. maybe some videos are more original and surprising, but I like the idea of calling true fans, aside the pro big girls. that rocks.

I love the video .I think it is original andit is made in a natural way .Does it count that has been made at a low bugget ?!I really like it because it is has colourfull umbrellas .Any way,can someone tell me how is the RELAX video ,I haven't seen it .Relax single was relased in Romania,too last week,but I heard it only on the radio !

I am not sure grace kelly was all that expensive.. it employs the whole family to save on the budget.. :naughty:

plus that's a lovely choice and i adore the video. :thumb_yello:

I like the fact mika shoot big girl with his fans. that's to appreciate. maybe some videos are more original and surprising, but I like the idea of calling true fans, aside the pro big girls. that rocks.

I agree. Moreover I think the naturalness of this video is its strong point .

And nothing is more beautiful than the astonishing expression of people in the market :biggrin2:

I like it.

It's like, you don't have to spend lots of cash to have fun, to be youself, to live life. It's all about living life in the fullest and be yourself. Don't care about what the other think and don't care about the way people are looking at you.

Just be yourself and have fun. And that is how i do it:wink2:

I

Thanks! I knew it reminded me of something! Massive Attack's "Unfinished Sympathy" (is that the one you mean?) and also The Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony". Both very effective videos. BG does have a similar feel :biggrin2:

OMG I thought it was a commercial or sth like that and I absolutely love it!!! Fantastic is that in Mika's clips are not boring stuff like standing at the stage and playing and performing. Great video!

I agree. Moreover I think the naturalness of this video is its strong point .

And nothing is more beautiful than the astonishing expression of people in the market :biggrin2:

I love the ppls expressions. Moreover I absolutely love the video.

So the title says it all... What do you think about it ?

If you haven't seen it yet, it's on youtube.

Personnally, i think it looks a bit "cheap" :blink: It's not bad, that's not what i mean, but yeah, cheap... I don't really like it, though...

What about you ? Putting apart the fact that you're in it :naughty: (if you are)

i really like the video, cos at the beginning, when you have all the Girls looking all pretty and sparkly, and then all the market people looking normal, it makes them look well special =]

Thanks! I knew it reminded me of something! Massive Attack's "Unfinished Sympathy" (is that the one you mean?) and also The Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony". Both very effective videos. BG does have a similar feel :biggrin2:

The difference with Bittersweet Symphony is that the cinematography is excellent. It looks like a feature film.

There are a lot of great ideas with the BG video, but it falls apart because of the cheap looking filming and the bad editing. Even re-cutting it could improve it immensely. The latter part with close ups of Mika among the big girls and the crowd getting in on the act are great. If there was more of that in the beginning instead of those awkward full length shots of Mika trying somewhat unnecessfully to get people to dance, it would work a lot better.

I understand why it appeals to fans. I've watched it myself quite a few times and I enjoy it. But I'd be surprised if the general public embraces it or if it even gets airplay in some markets.

The difference with Bittersweet Symphony is that the cinematography is excellent. It looks like a feature film.

There are a lot of great ideas with the BG video, but it falls apart because of the cheap looking filming and the bad editing. Even re-cutting it could improve it immensely. The latter part with close ups of Mika among the big girls and the crowd getting in on the act are great. If there was more of that in the beginning instead of those awkward full length shots of Mika trying somewhat unnecessfully to get people to dance, it would work a lot better.

I understand why it appeals to fans. I've watched it myself quite a few times and I enjoy it. But I'd be surprised if the general public embraces it or if it even gets airplay in some markets.

Absolutely. :thumbdown: The dancing of anyone other than the big girls is really unnecessary. I feel they are the ones that are supposed to shine. I was really irritated that when they did dance (a spin, I think it was) they were not together. Ie, they didn't do it in unison. I've danced before and it's really not that hard. I think they didn't practice it at all, probably to make it look more natural, but it just came out bad.

The only thing I enjoy in it is Mika, honestly. The expressions by the people in the market place *are* geniune, though. I didn't enjoy them so much.

I honestly don't think it will get any airplay in the US, worse Miami, where I'm at. I know how the people are like here. :-( I can hear my brother saying, "That's crap!" about the vid. Worse, that it's "weird" about big girls and I don't understand the story/plot behind the vid. It's like Mika said, "Let's go walking, big girls!" and that's all. It doesn't really fit in. I was half-expecting to see a beautiful big girl ordering a "diet coke and a pizza, please" at the beginning of the vid. That's what I see in my mind. As Mika has said, I really "didn't get it."

yes idd.. I didn't like the expression of the other people either... From most of the people i got this vibe like: WTF are you doing, like you could feel they not approved of it.. if I would have been one of the girls dancing i would feel totally uncomfortable too :(

And I don't think this video will get much airplay either... Belgium is not ready for something like this unfortunately..:( maybe if it was presented better and more realistically beautiful

Gah

i really liked the video, but maybe its just because its mika, i dont know, maybe its because im a youngling, but i thought it was nice, i dont really get the beginning, he should have been in McDonalds or something, not a barber shop xD

I think the fact that he doesn't fit to the lyrics is kinda done in purpose... Maybe to surprise people as usual with him, to give them what they don't expect... I don't mind that really...

I really have a problem with the realisation... Like i said before, a lot of video in this style and idea have been done before, LOOKING "spontaneous and real" giving people the IMPRESSION of being done in a rush, but very well realised and so with a great effect, and at the end, they know that it was an EFFECT, they don't think they have been kinda fooled... I think people will think "Rubbish, he could have made an effort"...

And that's true !!! They're not even together doing the dance moves !!! :roftl: Not looking like they have the fun of their life (sarcastic), not dancing together,... :naughty:

We have to remember it's a video !! So it's supposed to attract people in 3 minutes, not to make them think about philosophical views about body appearance, the lyrics are there for that... The video HAS to be efficient, and i don't think this one is, cause people will just see the fact that it looks unfinished and done in a rush (in the bad way), they will feel like they've been fooled, and they will run and break it down...

Sadly, cause once again, the idea was great !

HAHA, i used to think i was a creep for the way i danced.. if you could call it that, and im pleased to say, that mika has obviously stolen my moves!!

just wondering, is mika's new vid upfor selection on the music channels yet? i only have freeview hich has two CRAP music channels!! so i dont even watch them. well i dont watch them anyway..

:blink: looks like those dogme movies that were damn popular here in the 90s, only the music should have been played from a radio in the background :naughty:

Nope I'm not impressed (if anyone didn't notice :fisch:)

:boxed:

I like it because I like Mika and I like his concept. I think it all would be just fine but it needs to be rehearsed a bunch more and the moves need to be sharper for all the people in it. It would be cool to get all the big girls doing a dance really well. It looks like they're not sure what they're doing here... they were probably directed to do just whatever, but that doesn't work in my opinion, although they all look great.

I just think it would be an awesome video if it was sharper... take parts of this one like the market people looking on, etc. and I like him walking through the streets but stop and do a dance together with Mika in front and all the big girls doing an actual coreographed dance for a minute. (Not that I can dance worth beans...or that I am judging them. I think they did great with what they were given!)