What does you name mean

well....mika clames his name means 'plastic bag' in some language but according to this website:

http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=mika

MIKA is Finnish short form of MIKAEL

MIKAEL is Finnish form of MICHAEL

and finally MICHAEL From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mika'el) which meant "who is like God?". (how interesting I thought!)

my name

ROSINA is Italian pet form of ROSA

ROSA is Medieval name meaning "rose" in Latin.

Ok now its your turn, what is your name mean and what origin does it have?

http://www.behindthename.com/

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Katherine:

From the Greek name Αικατερινη (Aikaterine)

Could mean "each of the two," "torture," "my consecration of your name," or "pure."

I knew that my name meant pure from this thingy in my room I got when I was a baby (I like what it says, by the way-- pure, intuitive, perceptive), but I had no idea about the other associations. :blink: Not liking the torture one!

candice, varient of candace

From the hereditary title of the queens of Ethiopia, as mentioned in Acts in the New Testament. It is apparently derived from a Nubian word meaning "queen mother". In some versions of the Bible it is spelled Kandake, reflecting the Greek spelling Κανδακη.

soo not satisfied by that, but i'll deal. lol.

I LIKE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!:thumb_yello:

my name is PIETRO

Usage: Italian

Pronounced: PYE-tro

Italian form of PETER. Pietro was the first name of the Renaissance painter known as Perugino.

Derived from the Greek Πετρος (Petros) meaning "stone". This is a translation used in most versions of the New Testament of the name Cephas (meaning "stone" in Aramaic) which was given to the apostle Simon by Jesus (compare Matthew 16:18 and John 1:42). Simon Peter was the most prominent of the apostles during Jesus's ministry and is considered by some to be the first pope.

This name was borne by Peter the Great, the czar of Russia who defeated Sweden in the Great Northern War in the 18th century. A famous fictional bearer is Peter Pan, the boy who refused to grow up in J. M. Barrie's play.

lol:roftl: :thumb_yello::naughty:

Boooorrrriinnng name i have:thumbdown:

PRISCILLA

Gender: Feminine Usage: English, Ancient Roman, Biblical Pronounced: pri-SIL-a (English)

Pet form of PRISCA. In Acts in the New Testament Paul lived with Priscilla and her husband Aquila in Corinth for a while.

PRISCA

Gender: Feminine Usage: Biblical, Ancient Roman Pronounced: PRIS-ka (English) [key]

Feminine form of Priscus, a Roman family name which meant "ancient" in Latin. This name is used in the epistles in the New Testament, referring to Priscilla the wife of Aquila.

Cool, my name was created by a poet :naughty:

It is (or was?) also a city in Greece, and means "The wonderful" (me thinks that name doesn't fit me right, because I'm quite obnoxious :roftl: )

mine is sooooooo boring!

Usage: English

Pronounced: LAWR-en

Feminine form of LAURENCE (1). First popularized by Betty Jean Perske, who used Lauren Bacall as her stage name.

HELEN

Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Anglicized)

Pronounced: HEL-en

From the Greek ‘Ελενη (Helene), probably from the Greek ‘ελενη (helene) "torch" or "corposant", or possibly from σεληνη (selene) "moon". In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War. The name was also borne by Saint Helena, mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, who supposedly found the True Cross during a trip to Jerusalem. Another famous bearer was Helen Keller, the American author and lecturer who was both blind and deaf.

I'm based on the Trojan girl, but I ain't a myth!:biggrin2:

CHIARA

Usage: Italian

Italian form of CLARA. Saint Chiara (commonly called Saint Clare in English) was a follower of Saint Francis of Assisi.

CLARA

Usage: Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Romanian, English

Pronounced: KLAH-rah (Italian, German, Spanish), KLER-a (English), KLAR-a (English) [key]

Medieval name derived from Latin clarus "clear, bright, famous".

I like my name...is...bright and fresh :original:

CARMEL

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: KAHR-mel [key]

From the title of the Virgin Mary Our Lady of Carmel. כַרְמֶל (Karmel) (meaning "garden" in Hebrew) is a mountain in Israel mentioned in the Old Testament. It was the site of several Christian monasteries.

lol xD

Nah! I found a site with French names!

:roftl:

Anyways..

"Search text: Kine

No matches."

:annoyed_h4h:

Info on this name: Kine is also an English word for cattle. :roftl: :roftl: :roftl:

CYNTHIA

Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Latinized)

Pronounced: SIN-thee-a (English) [key]

Latinized form of Greek Κυνθια (Kynthia) which means "woman from Kynthos". This was an epithet of the Greek moon goddess Artemis, given because Kynthos was the mountain on Delos on which she and her twin brother Apollo were born

LAURA

Feminine form of the Late Latin name Laurus, which meant "laurel". In ancient Rome the leaves of laurel trees were used to create victors' garlands. Saint Laura was a 9th-century Spanish martyr, a nun who was thrown into a vat of molten lead by the Moors. Another famous bearer was Laura Secord, a Canadian heroine during the War of 1812.