NIBE is sueing MIKA? .. Or threatening with it at least

EnFa

I understand fans getting pissed off because they've made arrangements to see him and he cancelled his appearance. It's a huge inconvenience and it's obviously disappointing. But it seems that what people are most disappointed about is that Mika is just a musician trying to make a living instead of this demi-god that everyone has built him up to be.

Gigs get cancelled all the time. That's something ticketbuyers need to keep in mind when they make risky decisions like buying expensive tickets they can't afford or booking non-refundable flights.

Good points there, Christine!

Yes, gigs get cancelled, but there is usually some kind of official announcement why it's happening. Like few months ago, Mika cancelled some gigs in UK(?) and ticket buyers were clearly informed. (Even I heard it though I wasn't going :naughty: )

Like you said, buying expensive tickets and not seeing him is disappointing. But that's not all. In Scandinavia (+ Finland) travelling to gigs isn't easy! We must take many flights, wait for hours... My trip from my home town to Nibe took 18 hours, three planes and a rental car! Money can't buy a fast and easy way to the gigs if they (and your home) aren't in capital cities :thumbdown:

Because the WOW in Sweden is cancelled too, I don't know how to get into his concert. I can't plan my trips in a couple of days, not only because of looking for bargain flights but also because or work, family etc. That's why I usually plan a holiday WITH a gig. Nibe was cancelled, but still I had my 5-day Danish roadtrip and The Ark concert.

What I really wanted was to see and hear Mika playing live. I don't have to meet him because the main thing about him for me is his music. I believe there is thousands of Mika fans who adore his music, not him personally :biggrin2:

Now I have to wait at least his next record and tour. That's why I'm sad and angry and I want to know what is the official reason for the cancelling and I think I'm not the only (lonely) one :blink:

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh you are not the only lonely one indeed :boxed: I don't expect a PM with an appology you know, I just want some information :sneaky2: And yes I think that's the least they could do when a gig is cancelled! If they can send me info about Patrick Wolf being a genius, then they can also get a short message through with an explanation for why a gig was cancelled :sneaky2:

Oh you are not the only lonely one indeed :boxed: I don't expect a PM with an appology you know, I just want some information :sneaky2: And yes I think that's the least they could do when a gig is cancelled! If they can send me info about Patrick Wolf being a genius, then they can also get a short message through with an explanation for why a gig was cancelled :sneaky2:

Yeah, a real explanation.. Not a lie this time please :thumbdown:

What I really wanted was to see and hear Mika playing live. I don't have to meet him because the main thing about him for me is his music. I believe there is thousands of Mika fans who adore his music, not him personally :biggrin2:

Ha! You are right and I am one of them, although I am going to the next gig with a group of MFCers and something tells me there will be serious attempts to meet Mika whether I have a burning desire to or not :naughty:

I don't blame anyone for being angry about the inconvenience they've had to endure because of these cancelled dates. I'm just getting a vibe that some fans are taking this personally.

If major cities in Canada didn't border the US and if Mika didn't have such a strong affiliation with America, Canadians would probably get shafted as well. Hopefully everyone in Europe will get their turn to see Mika once he gets off this early promo blitz and is able to properly plan out extensive tours. But it might take a year or two and I hope fans are not going to spend that whole time feeling jilted and bitter about it.

Hmmm, mostly I agree, but just as an artist has the prerogative to make business decisions that may alienate some fans, some fans have the prerogative to feel alienated. An artist doesn't owe the fans to be their friend and their idol, but the fans don't owe the artist unquestioning, criticism-free devotion either.

An artists may not intend his fans to hold a candle vigil for his health, but he should expect that many will feel quite concerned, and also that contradicting statements will be found out and that people do not like being lied to/manipulated. He may decide to do so anyway, because it may seem like the necessary thing to do in specific circumstances, or the most financially viable. However, if cancelled shows are to be expected, so is backlash.

And I do think in general honoring your show commitments is basic professional decency. (Certainly, if I pay for a ticket, I do think the artist owes it to me to perform in return for my money, or else refund it.) Obviously, sh*t happens, but one should try to minimize such sh*t.

Mind you, I don't think this is the end of the world. As I said before, I understand what I think to be Mika's position--his camp overextended themselves, and they're trying to muddle through as best they can now. Some things I think were handled very badly, some things were handled the only way they could be, some were handled pretty well. But I do think some of the fans have a right to be angry and upset, and I think it's not fair to them to tell them they're being unreasonable for it. Feeling personally betrayed is excessive, but professionally betrayed? Justified, I think. We all love Mika, but we don't have to love him blindly.

Also, I think some of this is the joint fault of the fans and of Mika. Mika did, pretty consciously, set himself up as Not Another Popstar, and in fact Better Than Your Usual Popstar, and we the fans loved him for it. He did things that were above and beyond the call of duty for your usual popstar, and we recognized that and adored him for it, but for better or worse, that raised our expectations also. It was stupid to believe he could continue to go on like that on the fan side, but it wasn't the smartest thing to set himself up like this in the first place from Mika's side. (Unfair, yes, but once you surpass people's expectations, they tend to hold you to that watermark. Here I think he was too nice and could have been a bit more cold and calculating. I'm not blaming him for being naturally nice, mind, I'm just explaining.) So now maybe we are all coming off our honeymoon a little bit. I should note here that Mika is still Better Than Your Usual Popstar in most parameters--just not as perfect as he may have appeared at first. Again, this is expected (and I certainly expected it), but it always hurts a little. It's okay though. We'll all work out a more realistic set of expectations of how this whole Mika enterprise is going to work soon--on both sides.

And of course we all still love him. Just because people are upset about a mistake, or even a set of mistakes, doesn't mean they throw out all their affection for a person.

--Jack

P.S. Mind you, half the time I argue this side because I much prefer to hear people defending Mika to me than the opposite, and having to defend him myself. :mf_rosetinted: This way I can be pleasantly persuaded.

What you say about the 'Not another popstar' thing makes total sense :) All of your posts here have been really meaningful, they're great :)

I don't blame anyone for being angry about the inconvenience they've had to endure because of these cancelled dates. I'm just getting a vibe that some fans are taking this personally.

I'm not taking it personally, I just don't like it when the big ones are lying, knowing that they are gonna get away with it :thumbdown:

Oh well, *does extremely gay dance*

Im also a North European fan and would appreciate if some "inner person" would bother to explain us what really happened instead of us trying to gather up the truth out of some celebrity gossip sites and random pictures etc. O____o

Actually I've decided to try to keep my mind clear of all this as long as we don't have the final reliable info. :glasses2:

I can honestly say Im a very very happy fan. Been to concerts, met interesting people, had an AMAZING time and even quickly met Mika even I didn't really expect that one to happen. :blink::yay:

I'm not taking it personally, I just don't like it when the big ones are lying, knowing that they are gonna get away with it :thumbdown:

Oh well, *does extremely gay dance*

:roftl: Well when you do actually see Mika, give him a good spanking so he doesn't get off the hook so easy.

you're right! - i'm not angry about the inconvenience and the gig getting cancelled per se (in my case it was st. gallen) - but about the obvious lying. yeah, if someone is lying to me and trying to take me for a fool, i AM taking this personally! whether it's mika, his management, or anyone else. of course gigs get cancelled all the time, because of illness or because of minor reasons, but these reappearing one- or two-day ear infections aren't something i can believe as an excuse. i believe that he would have been perfectly able to play st. gallen - and if they feared that he wouldn't be able to do a perfect show in paris (for the dvd recording) the next day if he had a gig the day before, they could've known that sooner than one day in advance and could've at least cancelled sooner. whatever the real reason for the cancellation was, it couldn't be as annoying as this obvious lie. if they're lying, they should at least be more creative, like, take a food poisoning, with this you'd be able to play one day after the cancelled gig, without anyone getting suspicious.

don't get me wrong, i don't say the ear infection is a lie (might or might not be), but i just can't believe that he's is too ill to play, if he can do a perfect show the next day! and well, the pneumonia WAS a lie!

sorry for any repetitions, surely a lot of this has already been said somewhere, but, well, i just wanted to add my opinion, too. :wink2:

you're right! - i'm not angry about the inconvenience and the gig getting cancelled per se (in my case it was st. gallen) - but about the obvious lying. yeah, if someone is lying to me and trying to take me for a fool, i AM taking this personally! whether it's mika, his management, or anyone else. of course gigs get cancelled all the time, because of illness or because of minor reasons, but these reappearing one- or two-day ear infections aren't something i can believe as an excuse. i believe that he would have been perfectly able to play st. gallen - and if they feared that he wouldn't be able to do a perfect show in paris (for the dvd recording) the next day if he had a gig the day before, they could've known that sooner than one day in advance and could've at least cancelled sooner. whatever the real reason for the cancellation was, it couldn't be as annoying as this obvious lie. if they're lying, they should at least be more creative, like, take a food poisoning, with this you'd be able to play one day after the cancelled gig, without anyone getting suspicious.

don't get me wrong, i don't say the ear infection is a lie (might or might not be), but i just can't believe that he's is too ill to play, if he can do a perfect show the next day! and well, the pneumonia WAS a lie!

sorry for any repetitions, surely a lot of this has already been said somewhere, but, well, i just wanted to add my opinion, too. :wink2:

And it's okay to say your opinion. It's nice to hear from others who have tried the same thing

In a way i agree on this whole thing, and in a way i don't. Ofcourse i don't think Mika is lying about being sick and he needs to take it easy for sure! I really think that it's too much to sue him, but i understand if they're a little pissed off because this is kinda confusing that he is able to play some shows and some don't. It he's got pneumonia i don't think he shouldn't be playing any shows at all at this point.

They definitely deserve a proof for this...but i think that suing Mika it's way over the top. But it's only right that they get a proof, because Mika not being there must have been a huge disappointment.

Ofcourse i'm not blaming Mika for any of this, but it's just a little confusing. I was planning on going to Roskilde only to see Mika this year but decided not to but if i'd gone and he'd have canceled because of pneumonia and then played another gig one or two days later i'd probably be just a tiny little disappointed. It's kinda obvious that somebody is lying.

If they sue him i'll definitely be mad at them!...but i still think they should get that proof. And again, no hard feelings on Mika, i'll always love him. :naughty:

Suspekte Mika-aflysninger

Nibe og Roskilde Festival blev snydt, mens popsangeren fint magtede en hemmelig koncert i det engelske

Af Pelle Sonne Lohmann

Som vi har beskrevet det her på GAFFA.dk, aflyste den unge, engelske popsanger Mika sine koncerter på Nibe Festival onsdag den 4. juli og Roskilde Festival fredag den 6. juli.

Afbuddet til Nibe Festival tikkede allerede ind i løbet af tirsdagen (den 3. juli).

Forklaringerne gik på stemmeproblemer og lungebetændelse, men nu viser det sig imidlertid, at Mika tilsyneladende gav en ganske udmærket, ”hemmelig” intimkoncert (arrangeret af 2tenfm.co.uk) i Reading selv samme tirsdag aften.

Arrangørerne af Nibe Festival luftede forleden overvejelser om et sagsanlæg mod Mika, men trak stikket ud, da man mente, at sangeren da virkelig måtte være sløj, når nu han også så sig nødsaget til at aflyse sin Roskilde-optræden.

Suspiscious Mika cancellings

Nibe and Roskilde festival were cheated, while the pop singer had no trouble giving a secret concert in England.

As we wrote before on GAFFA.dk, the young English singer Mika cancelled his concerts at Nibe festival wednesday the 4th and Roskilde festival the 6th of july.

The cancellation for Nibe came already on tuesday (3rd of July)

The explanations were trouble with the voice and pneumonia, but now it turns out that Mika apparantly gave a secret intimate concert (arranged by 2tenfm.co.uk) in Reading same tuesday night.

The people behind Nibe festival told the other day about considering to sue Mika, but pulled back again when they thought the singer had to be really ill when he also had to cancel his performance at Roskilde festival.

http://gaffa.dk/live/view.php/news_id=18920

:sneaky2: so I will do researches about that! What's that story? Again and again!

Oh there's not much to research, nothing we didn't already know - and they put up the link to the secret gig review at the website which we've already seen...

just thought I'd post it since it's "news" :doh:

Oh there's not much to research, nothing we didn't already know - and they put up the link to the secret gig review at the website which we've already seen...

just thought I'd post it since it's "news" :doh:

:doh:Sorry! I read it too fast! I though it was an another secret gig (again) and it was on the same day that Nibe festival!

All I can say that if I ran my business this way, lying to customers about not being able to do jobs for them and getting caught out about it, I wouldn't have a business very long. So it completely baffles me how they get away with it in the music business, and it's been going on for decades.

Maybe it's time for us the consumers to start hitting back, as lets face it, it is our money that's paying for this business to keep going on like this.

Now don't get me wrong, I have great respect for Mika, I've never seen anyone like him taking time out for his fans, and fair play to him for doing it. He's an artist just getting going on the rollercoaster ride that is the music business, but he is not niave either and anyone who has watched all this down the years knows that the bigwigs will do whatever it takes to cover themselves. So if you are ill you should make sure you take the time to get better not go running off to do secret gigs. That's like me saying to one customer my vans off the road getting repaired, so that I can go off and do a better paid job for another customer, and the first customer finding out about it and dumping me (I must say this has never happened, I'm using it as an example). This would be extremely detrimental to my business should other customers or potential customers find out about it.

What I am saying is it's not good business practise to dump on the people who you are getting the money from in the first place, but because this has been going on for so long now and no one has ever questioned it before, it doesn't look like it's ever going to change, or at least not any time soon.