Katy Perry

Ioana

Here a link:

Relax:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rHlR_358J8

(Ioana you will LOVE the keys -or lack of- on this one :naughty:)

I mean, come on, I love Mika like the next person (and probably even more than some 'yes men' here) but that was NOT the best I have seen of him. Not at all.

Even the first 'ouaaa' is already off!!! And you can hear that his voice is kinda raspy...and it just goes downhill from there.

I agree, and I'm sorry to say but it's almost painful to watch!:sad:

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watch the YT vids of PDP and tell me....But yes, everything was a bit 'off' that night, in the sense that his usual standard was not there.

Amsterdam was way better, voice wise and everything wise, and you weren't even impressed there :naughty:.

I'd love to hear what you say after watching those vids. About IKAG, yes, I agree, it must be her worse song on the record and on stage.

Thanks for the link,didn't know they were on YT already.

Here a link:

Relax:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rHlR_358J8

(Ioana you will LOVE the keys -or lack of- on this one :naughty:)

I mean, come on, I love Mika like the next person (and probably even more than some 'yes men' here) but that was NOT the best I have seen of him. Not at all.

Even the first 'ouaaa' is already off!!! And you can hear that his voice is kinda raspy...and it just goes downhill from there.

Intro is actually decent,it just gets bad after. I mean the sounds don't flow,it's like he's hitting one key at a time with an insecurity that makes my heart melt :roftl:

Also,there's a little creature on Mikey's jacket,doesn't it look just like the wearer?

Oh geez,the solo is just bad. Sunshine didn't really figure out the settings on that device did he?

I'm really not hating on blondie here,but it's off

I checked the old DVD just to make sure,and either that one has better sound on it...or this thing's just wrong. Keys are so soft and undisturbing,and yes,Mika has a nice clean voice . Oh and the drum part is changed too,maybe that's why it has the annoying thing to it. You can only hit a hi-hat so much

I think his singing there was one of the best in his career and he had improved his singing style...a lot.

What are you basing this on if you've never seen him live?

His more recent vocal performances have suffered by the fact that he now sprints across stages that are larger than the entire venues he played in the early days.

The first time I saw him I studied him closely throughout Relax because I could not believe he was really singing and it wasn't a recording. His vocals were flawless as he was only a couple of feet away from both Martin and Mikey so he could barely move around.

I used to have a YouTube video of his Tonight Show performance that was filmed a few days later and I used to argue with people who insisted he must be lip synching because he sounded as perfect as the studio recording of Grace Kelly.

I am not saying that his performances suck or that he is incapable of singing as he did in the early days. I like the energy of his shows from the Dodgy Holiday tour and in many ways those shows were a lot more exciting than the first one. But jumping on top of Big Ms and running and bouncing up and down a catwalk comes at a price. It's never more apparent than during PDP because the stage is enormous and he is clearly tightly wound and must have been nerve wracked.

As for Katy...oh my lord. Shame, the vocals were not mixed well. You can barely hear the music in the back and it magnifies her weak vocals. But I agree with Sara. PDP shows that there is a world of difference between these massive productions and a casual gig so I'm still looking forward to seeing her at a club.

Ok, PDP was beautiful to watch, quality and 'show wise', but I don't think that one could by any means say that his singing was the best of his career. If anything, and on the contrary, I would say that this was one of the few times where his singing slipped his usual fabulous standards.

So, if that is improvment, I think that he needs to go back to the 'pre-improvement style' :naughty:.

Now in all seriousness: if you watch other videos where you can hear him sing in good quality, you can tell how in so many of the songs his voice sounds strained and like he's not hitting the right note.

I am not saying this to be nasty, or to criticise for the sake of it, so no need to get defensive over it...I'm just saying it because I find it very painfully obvious :original:

This actually reminds me of the Hammersmith 25th February '08 gig.

After the gig, I kept saying that his voice did not sound great, and that he had struggled hitting some of the notes, and missed others altogether. Now I have no clue of 'technical' stuff, but it was obvious to me that he was not singing to his usual standard. Of course when I said this, everyone jumped at my throat saying that is voice had been perfect, etc, and one would think that I was a total lunatic for saying that, because all the other fans were saying that it had been an 'amazing' performance, or one of his best, etc...

What did Mika himself tell us then 2 days later, at the famous Brixton afterparty? When the 25th at Hammersmith was mentioned, he actually said that his voice then had not been good.

I rest my case.

PDP was strained, and he was clearly not singing to his usual standard, and I would say that if you watch many of his YT vids you will notice that.

Watch the YT vids of PDP and tell me....But yes, everything was a bit 'off' that night, in the sense that his usual standard was not there.

Amsterdam was way better, voice wise and everything wise, and you weren't even impressed there :naughty:.

I'd love to hear what you say after watching those vids. About IKAG, yes, I agree, it must be her worse song on the record and on stage.

Ermmm.....As above :roftl:. Believe ME :bleh:

hmmm on pdp, i found he had a hard time on big girl... that one was off. he was out of breath (and probably nervous) the rest was alright, in my opinion, but i wasn't there :wink2: but i can see that it isn't as perfect as some other performances i've heard.

Edited by guylainem123

His voice in Amsterdam sounded absolutely amazing in my opinion, even better than the Brixton concerts and westerpark had a huge stage and Mika was running around all the time while singing. As for London I remember how impressed I was when I was listening to HE live at Brixton at the 26th of Feb. last year:wub2:

About Katy now, dont get me wrong, i'd like attend one of her gigs sometime but I dont think that her singing can be in any way compared to Mika's.

I have never been on any of his gigs and I judge from what I've seen and heard on the videos and on the television. Once I go to a gig I will maybe change my opinion about his live singing.

As for the PDP gig,I find both the show and his singing great there,indeed there were a couple of songs which were not sang his best because yes,he was too nervous about how the show and the scene would look like.

But, of course the chances for him to sing something THAT hard (as his songs) are lower when he's jumping around and running all over the stage in desire to put a show which would be better visually. He has lost his breath many times,but I still don't find it 'painfully bad'. Personally I prefer him to jump like that and sing like that to sitting still in a chair with a cigarre in his mouth like late Kurt Cobain used to do.:naughty:

And I find his performance on the BRITS 2008 one of the worst ever...he was totally out of tune and he missed the bits many times,but he was ill then,or Mika said so himself.

And I'm really looking forward going to some of his gigs in future to actually HEAR and feel his gigs myself and see what it looks like. :original:

His voice in Amsterdam sounded absolutely amazing in my opinion, even better than the Brixton concerts and westerpark had a huge stage and Mika was running around all the time while singing. As for London I remember how impressed I was when I was listening to HE live at Brixton at the 26th of Feb. last year:wub2:

About Katy now, dont get me wrong, i'd like attend one of her gigs sometime but I dont think that her singing can be in any way compared to Mika's.

Amsterdam was amazing indeed.

I really think that was one of the best gigs of the summer.

Me neither. Her voice is just too bad, sorry for everyone here, but she just sucks live. It's not the quality of the vids. On the EMA's she sounded crap too., and I watched that on tv. Okay, there were a few vids where she sounded just alright..so I cant say she entirely sucks.

Ah God, Im totally talking nonsense, as usual:naughty:

Oh and yes, I do think Mika's PDP show was better than Katy's Grammy performance. And yes, tv performances and gig performances ARE different.

Anyways, why would you compare Mika to Katy?

Edited by xlindee

I love me a good Relax

Been watching the PDP videos and fact is,Mika's voice is tricky,if he goest just a little too far with it,it will sound bad. Like the LT beginning...too much

The rest,yeah it's understandable ,it's not as clear because he's constantly running around. I still prefer Live in CM anyway

I love me a good Relax

Been watching the PDP videos and fact is,Mika's voice is tricky,if he goest just a little too far with it,it will sound bad. Like the LT beginning...too much

The rest,yeah it's understandable ,it's not as clear because he's constantly running around. I still prefer Live in CM anyway

The dark haired key board player!:wub2:

The perfect ending!:wub2:

Thanks for posting, I needed this!:wub2:

The dark haired key board player!:wub2:

The perfect ending!:wub2:

Thanks for posting, I needed this!:wub2:

It's one of my fav performances to be honest :wub2:

I have it on my laptop but found it on YT and felt I should share

How great does that keyboard sound? :mf_rosetinted:

It's one of my fav performances to be honest :wub2:

I have it on my laptop but found it on YT and felt I should share

How great does that keyboard sound? :mf_rosetinted:

It's quite simply just the way it should be!:wub2:Always!

Thanks for sharing!:thumb_yello:

It's easy,She sang 'I kissed a girl' :roftl: that explains everything

oh and she should never again wear flats...i used to somehow like her legs til now :boxed:

And also,when you go on advertising " one lucky fan will perform with me at the Grammys" , stick to not lying :mf_rosetinted:

It's almost disgusting what she did , there was no "lucky fan" on stage performing,just some videos in the background. I mean those people actually recorded and sent their entries in the illusion they'd get to do what she's advertising for ....pfff....

the deal was nver EVER (ever) to actually go on stage and perform I Kissed a Girl on stage with Katy... People entering the competition knew from the beginning that it would their video that would be shown on stage while Katy would be performing... 3 of them. Come on, it's the Grammy !! all the stars there were probably told when and how to breathe :naughty: they wouldn't bring some random fans on stage risking to ruin any part of the show !

I love me a good Relax

It's quite simply just the way it should be!:wub2:Always!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the link,didn't know they were on YT already.

Intro is actually decent,it just gets bad after. I mean the sounds don't flow,it's like he's hitting one key at a time with an insecurity that makes my heart melt :roftl:

Also,there's a little creature on Mikey's jacket,doesn't it look just like the wearer?

Oh geez,the solo is just bad. Sunshine didn't really figure out the settings on that device did he?

I'm really not hating on blondie here,but it's off

I checked the old DVD just to make sure,and either that one has better sound on it...or this thing's just wrong. Keys are so soft and undisturbing,and yes,Mika has a nice clean voice . Oh and the drum part is changed too,maybe that's why it has the annoying thing to it. You can only hit a hi-hat so much

I have never been on any of his gigs and I judge from what I've seen and heard on the videos and on the television. Once I go to a gig I will maybe change my opinion about his live singing.

As for the PDP gig,I find both the show and his singing great there,indeed there were a couple of songs which were not sang his best because yes,he was too nervous about how the show and the scene would look like.

But, of course the chances for him to sing something THAT hard (as his songs) are lower when he's jumping around and running all over the stage in desire to put a show which would be better visually. He has lost his breath many times,but I still don't find it 'painfully bad'. Personally I prefer him to jump like that and sing like that to sitting still in a chair with a cigarre in his mouth like late Kurt Cobain used to do.:naughty:

And I find his performance on the BRITS 2008 one of the worst ever...he was totally out of tune and he missed the bits many times,but he was ill then,or Mika said so himself.

And I'm really looking forward going to some of his gigs in future to actually HEAR and feel his gigs myself and see what it looks like. :original:

Amsterdam was amazing indeed.

I really think that was one of the best gigs of the summer.

Me neither. Her voice is just too bad, sorry for everyone here, but she just sucks live. It's not the quality of the vids. On the EMA's she sounded crap too., and I watched that on tv. Okay, there were a few vids where she sounded just alright..so I cant say she entirely sucks.

Ah God, Im totally talking nonsense, as usual:naughty:

Oh and yes, I do think Mika's PDP show was better than Katy's Grammy performance. And yes, tv performances and gig performances ARE different.

Anyways, why would you compare Mika to Katy?

Ok, I need to reply to all the above posts tomorrow with time (and when my eyes are not closing :roftl: ) but in the meantime watch this and tell me honestly that you don't like it!!

now my turn... will be short. i'm won't be defending Katy for the sake of defending her, cause i'm simply not the kind. to be honest, i didn't even watch the Grammy performance, live or youtube videos. i kinda knew it would raise high criticism.

she is not good to watch on video. period. it's all about the live. for her, anyway. the thing she gives on stage is just IN YOUR FACE in a good good way i mean. Honest, when i went to the Water Rats, i was worried because of the Youtube videos (knowing i've been supporting her for 2 years now, i still had doubts). And i've just been shut up. she gives everything. everytime. and i don't think you can do something else than appreciate that when you go and see it by yourself. Now you can still have fun comparing youtube videos, knowing how accurate they are.

as for the performance in itself (that i haven't seen) it might be explained by the fact that it was the Grammy, for the 1st time of her life... performing at the Grammy. She's been in the musical landscape for what ? 6 months ? and now, she's everywhere. Pressure. Second : it was all about the show. Like Sara said (and i agree with most of what she said not to say everything) : when there is a big part of the performance that relies on the show, vocal performance can lack. In that case, apparently, it was horrible from what you've said. maybe. but people were waiting for the dress, for the show, for the "will she kiss a girl or not ?" the vocal performance was the last of their concerns... Last thing : she had a choregraphy learnt for the 1st time ever (i guess it was not very complicated but according to the fact that she CAN'T dance, it must have been for her)...

The dress is a sort of fruits salad... Just her. She would have had cat ears on her head it wouldn't have surprised me for the least.

So yes, i'm not excusing, just clarifying, and maybe calling for your indulgence. but not even. not to seem rude, really, i couldn't care less if you don't like her or go on and bash her performances. I just wish you would have something concrete to talk about. I wish you would have to sing at the Grammy 6 months after you were totally unknown and knowing that people are just waiting for you to fall, cause your main song is just "so commercial" but you know you have more to offer.

As for the comparisons : i don't think people are comparing Mika's vocal performances and Katy's vocal performances or even styles ! they're comparing the situations of having to pull out a great show AND vocal performances....

Just so you might re-think all your kindness toward Katy (which i don't know what she did to deserve :boxed: maybe maybe being a pretty girl-close friend to Mika's ?? ok ok... back to the topic) :

maybe you hadn't seen those videos yet ?

i'm busy with a dress wich i'm going to give to katy because she inspires me. but i was a bit insecure and was afraid it wouldn't be good enough . but after this pic i feel better , haha sorry but i think i can do better than that .

84698169.jpg

the deal was nver EVER (ever) to actually go on stage and perform I Kissed a Girl on stage with Katy... People entering the competition knew from the beginning that it would their video that would be shown on stage while Katy would be performing... 3 of them. Come on, it's the Grammy !! all the stars there were probably told when and how to breathe :naughty: they wouldn't bring some random fans on stage risking to ruin any part of the show !

Was that stated in the rules of the competition? Because I haven't entered so I have no clue

What I do know is that in the promos she was doing she said "Perform with me ON stage" .I clearly remember that because I thought I was a really cool thing to do. Weirdly enough,the Grammy promo vid has been deleted from Perez so I can't watch it again.

I could tell you at least 5 ways in which she could have gotten a fan on stage and made sure they wouldn't screw up

Also I do get that the performance is show and spectacular oriented,of course. Mind you,I actually found the dress interesting. Just no flats! Flats bad! :lol3:

But still,at least some focus on voice.

i actually like her legsin flats too... well, just a question of personnal taste i guess... and not really important :naughty:

as for the Grammy moment, it was 100% sure that it would be the video and not the fan on stage. And you could tell me 5 ways, but i doubt that they would be accepted by the Grammy Awards Organization if they don't involve ties or chains :roftl: just kidding... but it's an amercian show. their acceptance speeches are beeing monitored. they don't let a second for the unplanned to happen. A fan with the occasion of his life being on stage at the Grammy would be something highly unplanned event-providing. Maybe next year. Maybe i'm wrong and it was just this time, but "Perform on stage with me" was in her ad, which i also found weird when i read the rules. But everyone entering the competition knew it wouldn't be the actual presence on stage, just the video. I didn't enter, just for info, just read the rules by curiosity.

oh, and i actually happend to like the dress when she posted a photo of it on her blog a few days ago... i tought it was fun, and actually just her (like i said in the other post). i had been wondering WHEN she would come up with a dress all made of fruits, and she just did. It was just a matter of time.

Edited by Yoppappop

You can probably get my reaction then as I only saw the video and didn't read the rules.

I know how advertising can be a beesh,but there shouldn't have been the discrepancy between the two. People whould have still entered

Oh, I forgot to comment on the fan thing: when I saw the bulletin or blog or whatever it was, I read it out to my hubby and his first reaction was: 'well, obviously it will just be the fan video on stage, or bits of it, but not the fan themselves'

:roftl::roftl::roftl:

So I guess that it was obvious :naughty:

Ok, I need to reply to all the above posts tomorrow with time (and when my eyes are not closing :roftl: ) but in the meantime watch this and tell me honestly that you don't like it!!

She's kinda whispering :blink: and I really don't like it,not because it is HER but because I don't like those kind of songs. But I must say it is way better than "I Kissed A Girl"! Because I think ballads suit her the best. She shouldn't perform IKAG live anymore,really :naughty: