Mika in Wonderland (Somerset House, actually)

titania

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would reply to the writer of the article that Mika is only at his first pratically-self-made album (I don't think at mika disposal were the same troup of sound enjeneerings and other technical helpers as Rihahanna has, and she never played acustic)

He has demonstrated he's a perfect one-man-show performer on live, and that is wonderful, who care how many time you can listen licm in your Ipod before being tired of some song:sneaky2:

Quite positive but anxious not to sound too positive IMO. :bleh:

Never heard the word schmaltziness before. Funny word though I can't connect it to Any Other World and of course not (and never will) to Over my Shoulder.

Thanks to Titania! :flowers2:

I would reply to the writer of the article that Mika is only at his first pratically-self-made album (I don't think at mika disposal were the same troup of sound enjeneerings and other technical helpers as Rihahanna has, and she never played acustic)

He has demonstrated he's a perfect one-man-show performer on live, and that is wonderful, who care how many time you can listen licm in your Ipod before being tired of some song:sneaky2:

Agree with your comments , they forget that when I and a lot of people saw him here February time .. he was playing to 300 people and for less than 45 minutes cause he only had one album

Agree with your comments , they forget that when I and a lot of people saw him here February time .. he was playing to 300 people and for less than 45 minutes cause he only had one album

four months that have changed the world!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

...and ourselves....

....and himself!

what do they know:sneaky2: He can sing he can entertain he is good looking-how many people are like him? Anyone can get a stylist go under the knife and make an album that sounds totally different than the real voice of a human.:mf_rosetinted:

On Monday I went to the club where I saw Mika play in March. It's so tiny. I remember Mika being on the stage, but I can't picture him on that stage, you know? It's just unbelievable how much has changed in 4 months.

thisislondon.co.uk from The Evening Standard

July 18, 2007

By David Smyth

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/gig-23362847-details/Mika/gigReview.do?reviewId=23404824

mika9_350x250.jpg

Short of handing out little bags of cake at the door, Mika Penniman did everything possible to turn his latest London show into an eight-year-old's birthday party.

Lewis Carroll's Alice skipped around handing out lollipops.

Er No ... Mika's own creation Lollipop Girl hands out the lollipops

Tireless exuberance is his chief quality.

NO ... one of his many qualities

Songs this catchy sound best the very first time you hear them, but after 10 months of touring they felt much less fresh.

After ten months of touring they are sounding better and better!

The colourful crowd lapped it up in its entirety. They had come for a party, and he gave them nothing less, and nothing more.

Well I for one had a ball ... he gave far more than I was expecting. I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again, third time for me and it keeps getting better! :wink2:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/gallery-23362946-detail/Mika%20at%20Somerset%20House/pos-1-image/gallery.do

Picture Gallery - Mika at Somerset House

Why have all the reviewers got some obsession that it's Alice in Wonderland? Lollipop Girl is not Alice and Mika dressed as a Ringmaster at the end not the Mad Hatter (Mika is a perfectionist ... if he intended to be the Mad Hatter he wouldn't have forgotten an important detail like having a 10/6 sales sticker on his top hat :bleh:)

what do they know:sneaky2: He can sing he can entertain he is good looking-how many people are like him? Anyone can get a stylist go under the knife and make an album that sounds totally different than the real voice of a human.:mf_rosetinted:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

And there's nothing "Disney" about Any Other World.

thisislondon.co.uk from The Evening Standard

July 18, 2007

By David Smyth

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/gig-23362847-details/Mika/gigReview.do?reviewId=23404824

mika9_350x250.jpg

Short of handing out little bags of cake at the door, Mika Penniman did everything possible to turn his latest London show into an eight-year-old's birthday party.

Fancy dress was the preferred style on and off stage. The crowd was dotted with cowgirls, flappers and fairy princesses. Lewis Carroll's Alice skipped around handing out lollipops, and one man squeezed himself into a helicopter made from balloons.

There were bubbles, streamers and confetti explosions, generating an even greater visual feast than the one already offered by the courtyard of Somerset House - a stately, grandiose space that this campest of performers described as "frou frou".

He was playing halfway through Somerset House's annual series of summerconcerts, an all-too-brief season that also includes gigs by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Amy Winehouse and Hot Chip. It was the 23-year-old's first time on the bill, but he has been here before. He may now have a number one album and two, soon to be three, hit singles to his name, but it is an indication of the rapidity of his ascent that just over two years ago he was working at Somerset House as a waiter.

He certainly celebrated his triumphant return, spinning, skipping, squealing and eventually stripping off his shirt to batter a metal dustbin at the climax of Love Today. Tireless exuberance is his chief quality, as depicted in number one single Grace Kelly, which relates his exhaustive attempts to appeal to record company executives in the days before Scissor Sisters had proved that theatrical pop could sell. Some sickly sweet tunes, such as jaunty showtune Billy Brown and playground chant Lollipop, made it possible to see why his early approaches were spurned. Songs this catchy sound best the very first time you hear them, but after 10 months of touring they felt much less fresh.

His ballads strayed dangerously close to schmaltziness too. Any Other World sounded like something from the boring bit of a Disney film, although the rarely aired Over My Shoulder revealed an intriguing dark side untapped elsewhere.

Often, though, it was impossible to resist him. Big Girl (You are Beautiful) added an infectious bassline and funky guitars to the Size Zero debate, while Relax, Take It Easy was a classy house tune that demonstrated his Royal Opera-trained falsetto to best effect.

The colourful crowd lapped it up in its entirety. They had come for a party, and he gave them nothing less, and nothing more.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/gallery-23362946-detail/Mika%20at%20Somerset%20House/pos-1-image/gallery.do

Picture Gallery - Mika at Somerset House

Thank you for sharing :)